• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen Strikes!

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
aOTyOx.jpg

THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN STRIKES!
tagline: "THE STEAM PULP EDITION"

1899: The End of the Victoria Era of Adventure, and the Dawn of the Pulp Age of Heroes!
When a threat so evil emerges that the fate of the entire world hangs in the balance, the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen is assembled. The LXG must unravel a diabolical plot and face off against one of the world's most infamous villains!

Basic details: Continuing my series of fan edits featuring Pulp era adventures, this time along with converting to black and white, I have made the Africa scenes sepia and Mongolia scenes cyan. Aged damaged film fx have been added throughout the feature, along with lower video quality deleted scenes.
The objective was to increase to the character development and trim back many of the over the top action scenes.

original film names: THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN
new film name : THE LEAGUE OF EXTRAORDINARY GENTLEMEN STRIKES!
film studio name : 20TH CENTURY FOX
edit crew name : Bionic Bob
persons involved: Me
Date Original Film Was Released : 2003
Date Edit Was Released : October 2014
Original Runtime : 110 minutes
New Runtime :100 minutes
Cut/Add Time: cut about 20 minutes, added 10 minutes

Fanedit details:
Intention: Create an alternate viewing experience by changing the film to Black & White and incorporating deleted character driven scenes.

Editing Details:
Used iMac 10.5, Mac the Ripper, MPEG Streamclip, Final Cut Express, GarageBand, and iDVD

Cuts removed/added/extended (add list of what was changed):
-new opening credits
--new April 1899 title card
--cut Bobbies chasing tank through the streets of London
--couple of minor cuts during Quatermain's fight in the clubhouse
--cut CGI bullet
--cut CGI London cityscape
--new July 1899 title card
--cut "Where are we going -- Australia?"
--cut "One of our members is late"
--cut "I call it an auto-MO-bile"
--added 4x3 Deleted Scene One with rain SFX and music
--repurposed/flopped a shot of the Nautilus diving
--deleted scene of Jekyll and Quatermain -- "Hyde will get his hands dirty"
--Quatermain continues his walk, meets Mina, they observe Nemo -- "Not the one I don't trust"
--transition shot of Nautilus surfacing
--deleted/extended scene of the bridge -- clearer suggestion of Skinner's guilt
--Quatermain/Sawyer target practice scene
--deleted/extended scene with Mina and Dorian (added music)
--Jekyll/Nemo using extended deleted scene (added music)
--moved/inserted Quatermain/Sawyer meeting with Nemo
--Jekyll discovers missing formula, informs Quatermain, Sawyer and Nemo
---cut Nemo commenting on the "old tiger" and Quatermain's response
---cut the group sneaking into exterior of fortress, cut from Quatermain "the game is on" to Moriarty in his den
---trimmed Quatermain and Sawyer running through Fortress hallways
---added damaged film to the dodgy Invisible Man planting dynamite
---trim Nemo freeing the prisoners
---cut the henchman explaining the contents of the box since Skinner already did this earlier
---cut Dorien "I hoped to get to nail you one more time"
---broke Sawyer's battle with evil invisible man and fire guy into two separate scenes and reordered/trimmed the action scenes with Hyde, Quatermain, Sawyer and Mina... has a faster pace continual cliffhanger feel to it
---lots of trims to Hyde's fight
---added damaged film fx to Dorian rapid aging
---removed cut away shots to the bombs counting down
---added damaged fx to M cape glider shot
---cut CGI bullet
---added fade to black with Sawyer standing over Quatermain
---Sepia for final Kenya scene

TRAILER:

DVD ARTWORK:
5LTW2g.jpg

59zMrH.jpg

Edit is password protected. password: fanedit.org

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bonus features include Trailers, an art gallery, and of course, my usual ABOUT THIS EDIT....

Amok

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think the black and white works for this. The scenes were not set up for black and white shooting and it really shows in the conversion.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Amok said:
I don't think the black and white works for this. The scenes were not set up for black and white shooting and it really shows in the conversion.

Then I guess this edit is not for you. But that is okay, there is tons of great stuff on this site, I am sure you will find something that is more your cup of tea. :)

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I re-watched the movie a couple of months ago. I still liked it, but it has always felt sort of uneven and draggy at times. I look forward to seeing this alternate version sometime. (soon would be good, since it's fresh in my mind ;) )

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you to [MENTION=24292]TM2YC[/MENTION] for posting a review.

Completely agree with the compression issue, particularly in the higher reds of the Sepia sections. FCE has always issues with Reds, (in fact, I now usually avoid fan editing any movies with lots of reds in it....lol) but it definitely seems worse here than usual and I am not entirely certain as to why.... I started this edit on my old computer, then it crashed (luckily all my files were on an external) but when I imported them into the new OS, I started encountering lots of glitches, as if my old software is not fully compatible with the new OS and the final export seemed to be much faster than usual but I triple checked all the settings and they were the same ones I have always used.... all very odd to me. But yes, the sepia compression/pixels is frustrating and disappointing.

Otherwise, I am happy to read you enjoyed the majority of the edit and that you did not find the Age Damaged Film FX or poor quality deleted scenes too distracting.

Thanks again for such a positive and detailed review. :)

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Review left on ifdb:
It's been many years since I watched LXG (bought the DVD secondhand) and I dismissed it as one of the many CGI-laden franchise-hopefuls that fizzled out in the vein of Constantine, Van Helsing, etc. Bionicbob presents the film here as it should be seen-- a true Victorian steampunk/pulp adventure. I'm not familiar with Alan Moore's comic book series, so I'm judging the narrative solely by the way its presented in this edit-- it is pretty damn fun.The grindhouse effect, faded look and varied color hues were a great choice and gave the film authenticity. My favorite was the cool blue Mongolian sequences and the orange tinted Africa sequences worked well too. Not only do they help place the sequences geographically and thematically but also help compartmentalize and move the film along in chapters. There is a lot of grain (and some artifact), but honestly, this is a grindhouse film--it is part of the look and feel of the edit itself and it is not distracting in the setting of the scratches, film damage, dust and other grindhouse signatures that are present throughout. The deleted scenes look grittier so I could tell them apart from the actual theatrical cut, but again, all part of the presentation.There were no audio blips or hiccups at all. Narrative wise, it is a fantasy film-- and a very entertaining popcorn flick. Its not meant to be taken seriously, but is supposed to be a thrill-ride and certainly delivers, especially in the last quarter. As a comic book film, this film should not be judged against darker films like the dark knight, but against lighter fare (van helsing, etc) and for my money bob's version of LXG blows the others out of the water. I rated it a 10 because it was such a significant improvement over the original that this should certainly be considered the definitive cut of this fun movie. And dude, it has freakin Sean Connery-- that's enough reason to watch the movie. If he can make Zardoz look good, he can make this movie look good. Great work all around. Highly, highly recommended for fans of steampunk and comic book movies, as well as those just looking for a fun popcorn flick. Congrats bob ;)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you [MENTION=10544]ranger613[/MENTION] for such a generous review. :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A big Thank You to [MENTION=17386]Vultural[/MENTION] for his always frank and detailed reviews.

This was very much an experiment in editing for me and it may not have succeeded. As you said, less is more. In my attempt to challenge myself and be creatively different, I disregarded this time honoured rule... sigh....

It was a fun edit to play with, but I admit the final product is not my best work and may not appeal to many.

Always learning. :)

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I believe if the grain or scratches remained throughout, they would not have been so noticeable to me.
It was the damaged / restored see saw I caught.
That and the low rez, blocky sequences.

I understand about experimentation, however.
You cannot grow, you cannot learn, unless you try.
And when you try, there is often failure.
Dust yourself off.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It looks like The LoEG is getting a reboot:

20th Century Fox is rebooting its 2003 historical fantasy film “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen” with John Davis on board to produce through his Davis Entertainment banner.

Jayson Rothwell has been hired to write “The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.” Ira Napoliello and Matt Reilly are overseeing the remake, based on Alan Moore and Kevin O’Neill’s graphic novel of the same name, centering on Victorian-era literary characters such as Captain Nemo, the Invisible Man, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde teaming to fight a common enemy.

Source.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I can see it now... the beginning of a new cinematic universe!!!! lol.

I am of course joking (sorta) but you know some studio exec is thinking it.

That One Guy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
I can see it now... the beginning of a new cinematic universe!!!! lol.

I am of course joking (sorta) but you know some studio exec is thinking it.

Right now it wouldn't surprise me if some complete twazzock at Fox is looking at Penny Dreadful and thinking "Hey, I bet we can sue them over this!".

jamiemark

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've always been a fan of this film, so I'm looking forward to seeing the changes you've made.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just wanted to say THANK YOU to [MENTION=34083]MrBadcrumble[/MENTION] for his very nice review.

I must agree, the edit would have played much better reframed as 4X3. Maybe next time. :)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank You @"havok1977" for posting a review!  :)

Rumours keep swirling that Hollywood will attempt another remake either as a movie or tv series; maybe they will get it right next time?
In the meantime, if you are craving for something closer in tone to the original comic series, I highly recommend the short run Showtime cable series PENNY DREADFUL -- it's fantastic!!!

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I second Penny Dreadful!  Great series that sadly ended too soon.  I've thought about attempting some form of an edit with it.

Vultural

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I enjoyed Penny Dreadful S01.
Read poor reviews of S02 and did not watch.
Do you recommend S02?

havok1977

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
Thank You @"havok1977" for posting a review!  :)

Rumours keep swirling that Hollywood will attempt another remake either as a movie or tv series; maybe they will get it right next time?
In the meantime, if you are craving for something closer in tone to the original comic series, I highly recommend the short run Showtime cable series PENNY DREADFUL -- it's fantastic!!!

Agreed. Penny Dreadful is a Victorian masterpiece of TV in my opinion, loved it all the way and the ending actually delivers; something that eludes so many TV shows.

Top Bottom