• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Last Starfighter - The SilentPete Edit

Silentpete

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello everyone!

I wanted to mention my upcoming edit of The Last Starfighter (should be live and available by the start of next week).

I grew up on The Last Starfighter. It is a wonderfully fun and entertaining film. However, it is not free of problems. It drags a bit here and there. Mainly, I wanted to keep the story focused on Alex and keep the tension and threat focused there. Mainly, the subplot with the Beta Unit has been mostly removed. I felt this would better focus the story on Alex and keep the tension up (although removing anything with Catherine Mary Stewart is heartbreaking!).

Cuts and Changes:

The business of Centauri taking of his human face while flying Alex to Rylos has been removed. In this edit of the film Centauri does not come back at the end. I thought his coming back undercut his dying in the first place.

The business of Alex going through the hallway at getting his uniform have been removed. The music does not fit (in my opinion), and the tension is broken.

The cut to the Beta Unit forming in bed has been removed. I wanted to keep the reveal of the Beta Unit until Alex himself encounters him.

The scene of the Beta Unit fixing his ear has been removed. It's a cute little scene, and I enjoy it. However, I wanted to keep the focus on Alex and keep the pressure of time.

The scene with the Beta Unit helping Otis with his trailer has been removed in order to keep the focus on Alex.

The scene of the Beta Unit, Maggie and friends driving has been removed. Again, this was to keep the focus on Alex and keep the tension up. We meet up again with the Beta Unit and Maggie when the alien hitman takes a shot at him, which is his purpose for being there.

Centauri coming back to life has been removed.

A few random slips and cuts here and there...

Anyway... this should be up by the end of the week if anyone is interested...

NOTE: This edit was redone using the Arrow Video as a source.

Last edited:
Sounds promising! But did you source from the Arrow Blu-ray, or the inferior mass market version? :)

Unfortunately, I made this edit quite some time ago, so it is sourced from the inferior mass market version. I have contemplated redoing the project, leaving in a few things I cut out, and using the Arrow version as the source.

In this edit of the film Centauri does not come back at the end. I thought his coming back undercut his dying in the first place.
42 year old me approves this change but somewhere dark and cold, eight year old me is dying inside. If you find him, give him a squeeze.

Lol. The 45 year old in me misses it too, but it felt right to cut.

I revised the information in the first post to reflect a few changes to the edit and its source.

Honestly, this sounds like the perfect version to introduce to my kid. The shot of the beta unit "growing" in the bed scarred me and my sister for life. Though it was also a bonding experience, I suppose. Shared trauma, you know?

Honestly, this sounds like the perfect version to introduce to my kid. The shot of the beta unit "growing" in the bed scarred me and my sister for life. Though it was also a bonding experience, I suppose. Shared trauma, you know?
That scene always made me not able to breathe. Lol

Back
Top Bottom