• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Last of Us (Spoiler alert)

I can understand your frustrations @DonkeyKonga because sometimes the translation from game to screen isn't always 100% what we expect, but I found this show to be gripping and engaging, thought as I said above, lacking in action and rushed at the end. My wife who hadn't played the game and knew nothing about the story was glued to the screen when we watched and enjoyed it without feeling that anything was missing from the relationship between Joel and Ellie and that the ending made sense. Most adaptations are going to disappoint, so while you seem to be in that camp, hopefully season 2 will be more to your liking now that you kind of see the tone they are going for in the live action sense.

I can understand your frustrations @DonkeyKonga because sometimes the translation from game to screen isn't always 100% what we expect, but I found this show to be gripping and engaging, thought as I said above, lacking in action and rushed at the end. My wife who hadn't played the game and knew nothing about the story was glued to the screen when we watched and enjoyed it without feeling that anything was missing from the relationship between Joel and Ellie and that the ending made sense. Most adaptations are going to disappoint, so while you seem to be in that camp, hopefully season 2 will be more to your liking now that you kind of see the tone they are going for in the live action sense.

Oh the show is watchable. Just painfully avarage when compared to what it could have been.

It being rushed being the biggest problem and the lack of infected. Also making David Christian turned him from a scary cannibal into a generic villain. Christian's dont like gay people so they are this shows ultimate villain I guess.

So I just saw episode 9 and it was probably the worst episode in the show. I really and I mean reaaaally dont see how people think this is great lol.

I'm ditching the fanedit. There is no saving this. I'll let someone else try lol.

I am beyond dissapointed, even without having played the game. The final episode is basically 30 minutes since the first 10 is a useless flashback. There was just a lot of meandering scenes and two filler episodes in a NINE EPISODE show. The writting was subpar, the direction felt uninspired and it was boring. I will commend the sets, though.

All of these problems are simply unacceptable for a show of this budget. I've given up on fanediting this show.

So I just saw episode 9 and it was probably the worst episode in the show. I really and I mean reaaaally dont see how people think this is great lol.

I'm ditching the fanedit. There is no saving this. I'll let someone else try lol.
Same. Not worth the fanedit.

I am beyond dissapointed, even without having played the game. The final episode is basically 30 minutes since the first 10 is a useless flashback. There was just a lot of meandering scenes and two filler episodes in a NINE EPISODE show. The writting was subpar, the direction felt uninspired and it was boring. I will commend the sets, though.

All of these problems are simply unacceptable for a show of this budget. I've given up on fanediting this show.
Me and my girlfriend litterally burst out laughing (and I do mean BURST out laughing) when the baby popped up. Like, that's not how pregnancy works lmao. If you're that far into labor there is NO way that you're going to be able to walk. I thought a quiet place had the dumbest birth scene in a horror show ever, but it's EASILY trumped by this shit lmfao.

Not to mention how stupid it was to even try to explain WHY she's infected. Who cares? This isn't real science. <_<

Sounds like you didn't understand the point of the flashback then. It was to show Marlene's connection to Ellie, the fact that she made a promise to her best friend and was now willing to break it to potentially find a cure/vaccine. She is making a tough decision, one that Joel, who now sees himself as a surrogate Father to Ellie much like Marlene was to be her surrogate mother, simply refuses to do. All the complaints that Joel and Ellie haven't connected and there isn't that bond there are just mind boggling to me, as we've clearly see the connection grow over time and Joel finally open up to her and love her like a daughter. Obviously the game allows more time to build these relationships simply due to the nature of its presentation, but I felt the show did a good job at not wasting time and getting to the point. In a world where people bemoaned The Walking Dead for taking forever to get to the interesting stuff, I felt TLOU handled things just right.

There certainly were problems with the lack of Clickers and other infected in the show, but for me this was some tremendous television and I feel sorry for anyone who didn't enjoy it as much as I did. I haven't played the second game yet, but I now know how I'll be spending my Summer vacation and I can't wait.

My wife and I just finished the show last night. We have never played the game, and we generally enjoyed the show. I didn't really feel like any of the episodes were "filler" like some people have complained about, because they all show that slow progression of Joel bonding with Ellie. My only complaint is that Ellie is a wildly unlikeable character, but I think she was written and played that way on purpose, and her character acts like I would expect a bratty 14-year-old girl raised in a post-apocalyptic nightmare world would act. My only real complaint is that they should have said she was 17 instead of 14 so she is still a minor, but her age would more closely match the actor playing her (who was clearly much older than 14.)

The blade origin story with ellie and the baby was so cringe lol

I've never played the game but I loved this show. That moral "dilemma" at the end wasn't that difficult for me. I totally think Joel did the right thing (at the very least, the most "human" thing. But this discourse has been done to death, I understand).

It's Sunday and now I didn't know what to do with myself. So I sloppily cut a quick trailer for Season 2. Inspired by that Dead Island trailer a decade ago. I still get chills. Can't believe we have to wait 2+ years for Season 2.

My trailer, SPOILERS obviously:

Original

I'll catch some heat for saying this, but is it a big episode for representation? Sure.

That doesnt make it incredible, though. I doubt the episode would be praised if it wasnt for the characters orientation.

There are objective problems with the episode that people are ignoring just because it prominently has gay people in it. It's the reverse of what's happening with people giving it a bad review for having gay people.
As a standalone it's a pretty love story. In context of the show however it completely breaks the world building and I will be removing it entirely when I edit this.

Which shows how much I dislike this episode's writing, because this section is one of my favorites in the game.

I've now seen episode 3 and disagree entirely. The story of Frank and Bill is lovely and completely on-theme for the show. It offers solid world building by depicting Joel's history with them, and Bill's letter puts a nice bow on Tess while setting up Joel's relationship with Ellie.

It's completely different to the game, but a smart change to make when switching mediums. The game requires you to trek around and get into different enemy encounters, so it has you travelling the city and getting to know Bill through the action. The story utility of Bill's town is pretty basic. You're only there to get a vehicle. The show devotes its time to a deep dive on Bill instead, and just puts a car in his garage. I can't fault it really.

I've now seen episode 3 and disagree entirely. The story of Frank and Bill is lovely and completely on-theme for the show. It offers solid world building by depicting Joel's history with them, and Bill's letter puts a nice bow on Tess while setting up Joel's relationship with Ellie.

It's completely different to the game, but a smart change to make when switching mediums. The game requires you to trek around and get into different enemy encounters, so it has you travelling the city and getting to know Bill through the action. The story utility of Bill's town is pretty basic. You're only there to get a vehicle. The show devotes its time to a deep dive on Bill instead, and just puts a car in his garage. I can't fault it really.
Agreed on this. Episode 3 was my favorite episode. Among unspeakable despair, they found love and hope and ended their lives on their own terms. It's a happy ending really and ties well juxtaposed to Ellie, Joel, and that world as a whole. I mean, if it wasn't clear, the show even gave you that letter at the end to be like, "Hey everyone, this was important. This amount of joy and satisfaction and payoff with one's life can be achieved even when everything's super shit." It was *chef's kiss*

And there's really no such thing as "objective" when it comes to movies and shows and art really- even when it's genre content. You're more than allowed to like or not like something. Objective is like when an episode is "this" many minutes long and "this" many shots and "this" many characters and whatever. I think we need to move away from that. People like and don't like different things, and that's what I love about it.

Back
Top Bottom