• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Last of Us (Spoiler alert)

Once Tyrants seize power, they do not give it up, even if the reason for their rise to power has ceased. That is why the Fireflies exist.
They clearly state in the episode that the mall is all sealed up from the outside, and thus no light can be seen from the outside. Which makes complete sense to me since most Malls I visited are giant concrete blocks with no windows, where you have no idea if it is daytime or nighttime once you are inside. And apparently the Totalitarian government was right to seal it off, as it turns out there were Zombies inside. In many ways, it shows the fallacy of the Fireflies in this situation.

But Zombies do exist. They may not be the in foreground of every episode, but they inform every story beat and every character motivation. It all makes sense to me.

But I get your point and your frustration.
We all like and enjoy different things, and can agree to disagree.
:)
The mall clearly had a glass ceiling through. And I agree about the totalitarian stuff. It's just that if that's the case they should have gotten rid of the infected altogether after episode 1.

Shows trying to have its cake and eat it too.

My wife and I watched the first double-length episode last night and really liked it. It sounds like we'll keep enjoying the next two and then it kind of drops off in quality?

My wife and I watched the first double-length episode last night and really liked it. It sounds like we'll keep enjoying the next two and then it kind of drops off in quality?
Depends on your expectations. If you expect the infected to be remotely a thing in this show then yes you will be massively dissapointed.

I loved the first two episodes. I thought they nailed almost everything and then it all just falls flat.

I grew to really dislike Ellie too. Shes so rude to everyone including Joel, whom she relies in to survive.

So episode 8, another mixed bag. The parts that worked were good, but AGAIN where are the actual zombies?

A harsh winter shouldn't be enough to make people go full cannibal lmfao. And David really shouldn't have a backstory.

I see a lot of editing possibilties to make the narrative work better. Tthe main issue is not being able to fix it's greatest flaw, which is that this apocalyptic world itself makes no sense without an infected threat looming around the corner. Like, I find myself constantly asking: Why is everyone acting like this? A cure doesn't even seem that needed. Just stay out of cities and you're golden.

I haven't watched it yet but I've heard from many people that episode 3 in particular is incredible. Guess the reations vary depending on expectations.

I haven't watched it yet but I've heard from many people that episode 3 in particular is incredible. Guess the reations vary depending on expectations.

I'll catch some heat for saying this, but is it a big episode for representation? Sure.

That doesnt make it incredible, though. I doubt the episode would be praised if it wasnt for the characters orientation.

There are objective problems with the episode that people are ignoring just because it prominently has gay people in it. It's the reverse of what's happening with people giving it a bad review for having gay people.
As a standalone it's a pretty love story. In context of the show however it completely breaks the world building and I will be removing it entirely when I edit this.

Which shows how much I dislike this episode's writing, because this section is one of my favorites in the game.

Last edited:
So episode 8, another mixed bag. The parts that worked were good, but AGAIN where are the actual zombies?

A harsh winter shouldn't be enough to make people go full cannibal lmfao. And David really shouldn't have a backstory.

I see a lot of editing possibilties to make the narrative work better. Tthe main issue is not being able to fix it's greatest flaw, which is that this apocalyptic world itself makes no sense without an infected threat looming around the corner. Like, I find myself constantly asking: Why is everyone acting like this? A cure doesn't even seem that needed. Just stay out of cities and you're golden.
At least the episode didn't make me roll my eyes

At least the episode didn't make me roll my eyes
It did make me roll my eyes quite a few times.

Eating strawberries together? Jeez. That's some of the sappiest shit I ever saw, even compared to a romantic comedy, let alone a story that's supposed to be about Joel and Ellie lol.
Also Bill goes from redneck prepper living in his moms basement believing the government are nazis to loving husband? Guess turning gay is now a magical cure for mental illness and paranoia. *roll eyes*
Also Bill just stands there in the middle of the road firing at these guys and doesn't take cover? *roll eyes*
Or when Bill gets shot and the show makes you think he will die, and then the next shot FRANK is in a wheel chair? *roll eyes* (seriously I actually rewinded the episode because I thought I had skipped something)
Zombie apocalypse but these two gay men can life a complete fruitful loving life and actually die of old age/sickness in episode three? *roll eyes*

^ All of this completely diminishes everything set up in episode one and two. It was litterally the moment I knew the show wasn't going to be that good.
What I also HATE about this show is how it doesn't know how to set up a story. They give us this whole hyvemind blabla about the infected being linked and then litterally NEVER use it again.

It's quality is quite comparable to the walking dead if we ignore the whole marketing machine behind it. It's well acted though (apart from Ellie).
It's extra frustrating when you realise what could have been. The game's story with Frank's suicide hits so much harder than anything this episode throws at you.

It did make me roll my eyes quite a few times.

Eating strawberries together? Jeez. That's some of the sappiest shit I ever saw, even compared to a romantic comedy, let alone a story that's supposed to be about Joel and Ellie lol.
Also Bill goes from redneck prepper living in his moms basement believing the government are nazis to loving husband? Guess turning gay is now a magical cure for mental illness and paranoia. *roll eyes*
Also Bill just stands there in the middle of the road firing at these guys and doesn't take cover? *roll eyes*
Or when Bill gets shot and the show makes you think he will die, and then the next shot FRANK is in a wheel chair? *roll eyes* (seriously I actually rewinded the episode because I thought I had skipped something)
Zombie apocalypse but these two gay men can life a complete fruitful loving life and actually die of old age/sickness in episode three? *roll eyes*

^ All of this completely diminishes everything set up in episode one and two. It was litterally the moment I knew the show wasn't going to be that good.
What I also HATE about this show is how it doesn't know how to set up a story. They give us this whole hyvemind blabla about the infected being linked and then litterally NEVER use it again.

It's quality is quite comparable to the walking dead if we ignore the whole marketing machine behind it. It's well acted though (apart from Ellie).
It's extra frustrating when you realise what could have been. The game's story with Frank's suicide hits so much harder than anything this episode throws at you.
My comment refered to episode 8. Sorry for the confusion.

My comment refered to episode 8. Sorry for the confusion.

Oh lol I agree I'd probably do without David's backstory but I wish the previous 6 episodes were this good. No eye rolls in episode 8.

I have NO idea how they intend to finish the story with only a single episode left.

Hospital sequence, giraffes, the ending and everything neatly without feeling rushed? I dont see it happening.

Maybe the episode is 90 minutes long ot longer to cram everything in.

In that case, it would be even more ridiculous that we got 2 filler episdoes.

You think they saved some of the story for a second season?

I havent seen the final episode yet but from what my mates are telling me it's an episode of meh with the climax having no emotional payoff

I havent seen the final episode yet but from what my mates are telling me it's an episode of meh with the climax having no emotional payoff
Completely disagree.
Powerful and emotional.
The theme of how far a parent will go — let the whole world burn — to protect their child is exceptionally and disturbingly explored.
I have no idea how it compares to the game, but as television drama exploring the dark and light of humanity, it was excellent.

Completely disagree.
Powerful and emotional.
The theme of how far a parent will go — let the whole world burn — to protect their child is exceptionally and disturbingly explored.
I have no idea how it compares to the game, but as television drama exploring the dark and light of humanity, it was excellent.

Well. that depends on wether you found the rest of the show to be compelling. Because I've been bored out of my mind with the TV show. But that's because I can directly compare it to it's original.

To me this show is kinda of like what the Hobbit is to Lotr. It's the same universe just handled so much worse. But I still have to finish the final episode. I can hardly imagine them being able to finally creative a father/daughter bond in the last 45 minutes that's been severely missing so far, though.

I really enjoyed the show overall, but my two biggest complaints are:

1. A severe lack of action scenes involving fighting the infected beings. I wasn't looking for an action series, but this is a story revolving around a zombie-esque apocalypse and we got 2 action sequences over the course of 9 episodes and 2 short "dropping in to have a bite and move the story along" appearances.

2. The super rushed ending at the hospital. I would've bet money that they'd end the 8th episode with them arriving at the hospital so we'd have some room to get settled in and feel like "ok, we're here now, this was the goal all along and now we can let our guard down for a bit" only for them to pull the rug out from under them and pull the twist that this procedure isn't 100% certain, but it will kill Ellie. I played the game, so I knew what was coming, but it still felt very rushed.

Edit: I did however find that the scene before with Joel and Ellie was touching and all around another wonderful bonding moment for them, which makes the ending more heartbreaking because you can tell she doesn't believe him, but is going to force herself to believe the lie.

I didn't play the second game, but I'm aware of what's coming next season.

Completely disagree.
Powerful and emotional.
I played the game and the message of how far a parent will go for their child was excellently portrayed in both mediums. Joel is your classic anti-hero through and through and even if I didn't know the ending going into the last episode, I would've expected the same outcome because that is how well they let us get to know these characters.

I played the game and the message of how far a parent will go for their child was excellently portrayed in both mediums. Joel is your classic anti-hero through and through and even if I didn't know the ending going into the last episode, I would've expected the same outcome because that is how well they let us get to know these characters.
Honestly I never even once felt there was a geniune connection between Ellie and Joel in the show. Not once. I also think litterally every deviation from the source material severely lacked the quality of the original story (looking at you, cathleen).
Overall if this was my first experience I would be very triggered with Joel saving Ellie, whereas I was fully on board with Joel killing a scientist in the game.
It makes sense that their bond is pretty weak, considering they really didn't go through much more than one zombie wave and one bad christian. If you can cross the entire CONTINENT with only 2 problems, once of them not even being a fucking zombie, I will say it's objectively not a bad apocalypse.

Back
Top Bottom