• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Last of Us (Spoiler alert)

I definitely agree with some of the very opinionated opinions being made but don't want to offend. I think we could do without at least one complete story arc already mentioned and at least the cringeworthy moments of Ellie.

My main beef is the lack of zombie encounters. Some people say it's a different medium we cant have many zombies, and to those people I say: watch Kingdom in Netflix. Or 28 days later. Or dawn of the dead.

Because we barely have zombie encounters things like the clickers dont do anything to warrant their reputation in the show, because there havent been any zombie encounters besides that. So when characters talk about clickers being extremely deadly it doesn't feel earned. It's like the Raptors in jurassic park. The Raptors in jurassic park earn their reputation to seperate them from the other dinos in the park the moment they're introduced.

I feel like, as of know, episode 2 has been the peak of the show.

I agree. After that the quality has steadily declined into TWD territory. I also expected much much more from the actress playing Ellie. She still doesnt seem like the type of girl (or person) you'd really put your life at risk for apart from her 'condition'.

Is it just me or was Ellie an obnoxious little shit in episode 6? Jeez.

Also its very clear at this theyre making Joel as weak as they can to get away with that horrible part two twist. Like, wow. That's the opposite of what I was hoping they'd do, which is make Joel more competent in part two.

Completely skip episodes 3-5 when editing this into a movie and you might have something. There is nothing redeeming about episode 3 at all. Very little in episode 4. A few things that may work in episode 5. Episode 6 is much better.

Completely skip episodes 3-5 when editing this into a movie and you might have something. There is nothing redeeming about episode 3 at all. Very little in episode 4. A few things that may work in episode 5. Episode 6 is much better.

Episode 6 just needs Ellies behavior severely toned down.

It also needs more time jumps. Theres a reason the original story makes 4 jumps to the seasons making the story last a year in total.

Episode 6 has convinced me that the show has made huge improvements on the game, especially in the reunion scene between Joel and Tommy. The characters are all so similar to the games, but just slightly more developed. Pedro Pascal is incredible as Joel and Bella Ramsey's portrayal as Ellie has grown on me. The Diary scene is word for word from the game and just done perfectly, in my opinion. I also love that the episode opened exactly how the transition happens in the game, by hard cutting 3 Months Later after Henry dies.

I'm loving it so far, but I also would love to see edits with some of the suggestions made in this thread.
Also, it's totally okay if you don't agree with me. Just please don't be a dick.

Episode 6 has convinced me that the show has made huge improvements on the game, especially in the reunion scene between Joel and Tommy. The characters are all so similar to the games, but just slightly more developed. Pedro Pascal is incredible as Joel and Bella Ramsey's portrayal as Ellie has grown on me. The Diary scene is word for word from the game and just done perfectly, in my opinion. I also love that the episode opened exactly how the transition happens in the game, by hard cutting 3 Months Later after Henry dies.

I'm loving it so far, but I also would love to see edits with some of the suggestions made in this thread.
Also, it's totally okay if you don't agree with me. Just please don't be a dick.

I agree with Joel and Tommy's scene. That scene is pretty great and an improvement. Also Sam and Henry's death were better in the show. I disagree about Ellie, and in fact I think it's the writers fault. In changing Joel to a great extend (he's far softer and kinder towards Ellie, and softer in general) and making Ellie much less endearing they broke the balance between the characters.

An example is the scene after Tess dies and Ellie stands against Joel and tells him he shouldn't be such a bitch towards her and not to expect her to say sorry. In the game she just tells him she's sorry. I mean what kind of a cunt does someone have to be to not say sorry after someone is moments earlier traumatised by loss? She litterally makes that moment about HER, which is just a dick move.

Another example is Ellie screaming at the random girl in the village like an idiot. I think they want to make her another modern girlboss, without realising she already WAS a girlboss. Yet another example is Ellie being very ungrateful after getting food and a new coat. Also the dog scene was just cringe.

And another example is her shouting at Joel when he has his first panic attack, yet again telling him SHE will be in trouble, instead of actually caring about his health. Another dick move.

In the end I feel for each improvement they quite litterally ruin other scenes. And because of it some of the better scenes just don't land at all. I also think the scene where Joel tells Ellie he isn't her father is faaaar better in the game. I don't know who thought removing the 'youre treading on mighty thin ice' line was a good idea, but that person is an idiot lol. Also I caught myself thinking: 'If I was Joel I'd surely ditch this girl.' which never even occurred to me in the game.

Not saying you shouldn't like it ofcourse, just imo that there are big improvements, but they are outweighed by the bad changes to Ellie and Joel, considering they are the core of the story. I will probably attempt to save this in an edit because the story deserves it and remove the unnessesary Bill/Frank subplot since it diminishes their bond even more.

Last edited:
I see those points... I just also think Ellie is acting like a kid who grew up unsocialized in an apocalyptic hellscape. Shes scared, and selfish in the interest of self-preservation. I remember being a kid and seeing my mother have a panic attack. You don't really know how to deal with it. It's a terrifying thing to see the person who is your "protector" be incapacitated, and by something mental no less. As an adult, I understand anxiety a lot better and know how to handle someone in a moment of crisis now. I definitely didn't know how to do that at 14.

I totally agree about the "mighty thin ice" line. I also really missed the line "He ain't hurt" in episode 4 when he senses the ambush. Though I do love that Pedro Pascal is able to express those thoughts just through his expressions. It's great to see him get to do so much face acting after being stuck behind the mando helmet for a few years.

To be fair, I'm glad there are changes in the show. I wouldn't want to just feel like I'm watching cutscenes from the game. And the show has excited me to replay the game again, so I'm glad it's more of an adaptation and not a downright recreation.

I see those points... I just also think Ellie is acting like a kid who grew up unsocialized in an apocalyptic hellscape. Shes scared, and selfish in the interest of self-preservation. I remember being a kid and seeing my mother have a panic attack. You don't really know how to deal with it. It's a terrifying thing to see the person who is your "protector" be incapacitated, and by something mental no less. As an adult, I understand anxiety a lot better and know how to handle someone in a moment of crisis now. I definitely didn't know how to do that at 14.

I totally agree about the "mighty thin ice" line. I also really missed the line "He ain't hurt" in episode 4 when he senses the ambush. Though I do love that Pedro Pascal is able to express those thoughts just through his expressions. It's great to see him get to do so much face acting after being stuck behind the mando helmet for a few years.

To be fair, I'm glad there are changes in the show. I wouldn't want to just feel like I'm watching cutscenes from the game. And the show has excited me to replay the game again, so I'm glad it's more of an adaptation and not a downright recreation.

I also get what they were going for, but they went a bit overboard. And yes he ain't hurt should have definity stayed. And yes changing it up is good, tommy scene is a good example of how to do it. Though I'm also not sure if Bella is a good enough actress for the part. I feel she is a bit one note.

I'm currently playing the ps5 remake and jeez Louise that's really close to tv show quality. I sometimes completely forget I'm looking at a game.

Biggest problem I have is the lack of infected, which no cut will ever fix. The community Tommy is in has been thriving for so long it feels like the cure to it all isnt even that relevant, not to mention Bill and frank dying of old age. Those effectively make the world just not so terrifying in the show imo.

Also Joel's strength is a bit all over the place. First he beats a guard with his bare hands and then he loses in a fisticuffs with a teen (he even litterally says he should be able to beat him lol) and then he is again capable in episode 6.

I miss Joel basically being a cold hearted killing machine rediscovering his humanity. Also the scene where he doesnt want the picture of his daughter is probably the scene that REALLY shouldnt have been removed most of all imo. I just played that bit and that moment hits hard.

It's fun enough, but honestly the game still tells a more complete and dynamic story imo.

Also Joel's strength is a bit all over the place. First he beats a guard with his bare hands and then he loses in a fisticuffs with a teen (he even litterally says he should be able to beat him lol) and then he is again capable in episode 6.

I miss Joel basically being a cold hearted killing machine rediscovering his humanity. Also the scene where he doesnt want the picture of his daughter is probably the scene that REALLY shouldnt have been removed most of all imo. I just played that bit and that moment hits hard.
He tells Tommy that he held back because he didn't want to kill a kid. He said he wouldn't have hesitated in the past but has begun to turn soft because of Ellie.
(which reminds me, I loved the scene where he tries to apologize to Ellie for her shooting the guy. I thought it was perfectly awkward)

Also totally agree on the scene with his daughter's picture. That's such a powerful moment in the game! That's a pretty big loss.

He tells Tommy that he held back because he didn't want to kill a kid. He said he wouldn't have hesitated in the past but has begun to turn soft because of Ellie.
(which reminds me, I loved the scene where he tries to apologize to Ellie for her shooting the guy. I thought it was perfectly awkward)

Also totally agree on the scene with his daughter's picture. That's such a powerful moment in the game! That's a pretty big loss.

That makes no sense from a writing perspective. This moment would have been much more powerful if Joel got him on the ground easily, is about to kill him and then realises Ellie is watching him about to murder a child. What does he do now?

The current narrative tries to make us believe Joel lost because he doubted in the laziest way possible after the fact by having him litterally say it, but I saw that scene. He was overpowered. The doubt only kicked in once he realised it was a child after the kid was crying on the ground.

Joel's strength is all over the place. You cant have a guy beat a guard with his bare hands and then have him lose to a child lol.

This creates an even bigger problem when you realise that no matter how these creators wanna do this he has to shoot his way out of a hospital at the end of the story anyway. Joel should be a force to reckon with for the ending to even work at all. But if they change the ending they will ruin it all.

Episode 7. Another hour of filler. What a great show.

Filler and plotholes.
How does Ellie get to mArlene? Does she kill her friend?
How exactly didnt the zombie wake up when the girl tested out all these things before inviting Ellie? Such silly writing tbh.

Meanwhile they cut the scene where Joel gets a picture of his daughter from Tommy? Jeez. 2 hours spend on gay background but barely anything on ellie and joel bonding.

The ending is going to fall so flat in the show. I dont even think an edit can really save it.

Never played the game.

But my bride and I are loving the series.

What some are calling boring filler, we call excellent character drama.

I wasn't really interested in watching this series when it was announced. I pretty much have Zombie Fatigue.
The Walking Dead franchise had run the whole genre into the ground for me.

But a friend talked me into watching and I am glad he did.
It is not about Zombies.
It is about Humanity.
And I find that completely refreshing and engaging.
đź‘Ť :)

Never played the game.

But my bride and I are loving the series.

What some are calling boring filler, we call excellent character drama.

I wasn't really interested in watching this series when it was announced. I pretty much have Zombie Fatigue.
The Walking Dead franchise had run the whole genre into the ground for me.

But a friend talked me into watching and I am glad he did.
It is not about Zombies.
It is about Humanity.
And I find that completely refreshing and engaging.
đź‘Ť :)

The problem with the show is that the humans behavior makes no sense without the zombies.

It's like shaun of the dead being a romantic comedy at its core. But it's also a zombie show at the same time. Removing that element completely breaks what makes it unique.

The last of us falls completely flat compared to the game. I highly recommend it if you think the zombie genre is worn out. Kingdom is another example of a great zombie show on Netflix.

Just think about it: why is there a totalitiar regime at all if 2 girls can turn on a fucking mall for hours on end without any problems? The zombie literally only wakes up because the plot demands it.

Good writing would have not woken the zombie up but have the girls step on the fungus and cause a trigger reaction as explained in episode 2.

Last edited:
Just think about it: why is there a totalitiar regime at all if 2 girls can turn on a fucking mall for hours on end without any problems? The zombie literally only wakes up because the plot demands it.
Once Tyrants seize power, they do not give it up, even if the reason for their rise to power has ceased. That is why the Fireflies exist.
They clearly state in the episode that the mall is all sealed up from the outside, and thus no light can be seen from the outside. Which makes complete sense to me since most Malls I visited are giant concrete blocks with no windows, where you have no idea if it is daytime or nighttime once you are inside. And apparently the Totalitarian government was right to seal it off, as it turns out there were Zombies inside. In many ways, it shows the fallacy of the Fireflies in this situation.

The problem with the show is that the humans behavior makes no sense without the zombies.
But Zombies do exist. They may not be the in foreground of every episode, but they inform every story beat and every character motivation. It all makes sense to me.

But I get your point and your frustration.
We all like and enjoy different things, and can agree to disagree.
:)

Back
Top Bottom