• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Editzilla

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As little interest as I have in most Disney live-action remakes, I actually would be really interested in a live action version of The Black Cauldron, adding back in all the the stuff that was removed from the cartoon.
They said they were planning on a new adaption of the Pyrdain novels years ago...and done nothing with them.

Seriously, they could have their own little GOT fantasy show with multiple fandoms already in place for hype (Fans of the books and of the movie adaption) and could be a massive success for Disney +!

Instead, they went with Willow which barely anyone remembers......................................

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
They said they were planning on a new adaption of the Pyrdain novels years ago...and done nothing with them.

Seriously, they could have their own little GOT fantasy show with multiple fandoms already in place for hype (Fans of the books and of the movie adaption) and could be a massive success for Disney +!

I think that's what they were going for with Artemis Fowl (It's been said that Miramax had the rights back in the early 2000's, and they were going to make a franchise out of it, but development hell happened instead). That movie turned out so badly that it's no surprise why Disney hasn't done anything more with that property since.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Instead, they went with Willow which barely anyone remembers......................................
I can only speak for an American audience, but I don't think many people even know The Black Cauldron came from novels. Willow on the other hand had a huge marketing push and was a really big deal. Younger people now would probably have only a vague awareness, but if they had marketed that series to an older audience they would've had built-in fans. Of course, only one of a great many aspects of that show that they royally screwed up.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rio Bravo (1959)
This has a long, dialogue-free opening scene featuring Dean Martin acting the hell out of this thing, and it completely shook my expectations that this would be a creaky old white hat/black hat Western. It does have a bit of fat I would trim but overall this absolutely holds up and is such a convention-defying movie that I only wish had the ending from Carpenter's Assault on Precinct 13 homage.

The Black Phone (2021)
When Scott Derrickson got tired of waiting for Marvel to let him make an actual Horror movie with the Dr. Strange sequel and instead left to do this film, I had hopes we'd get a film on par with Sinister. This instead has some very effective drama but not many scares. You can feel it working better as a neat little short story by Joe Hill, but the expanded film here is a satisfying enough watch for a predictable genre joint.

The Brave One (2007)

Neil Jordan helms this story that essentially asks "What if The Punisher, but a woman, and a drama?" Basically a loose remake of Death Wish, Jodi Foster attempts to elevate the dialogue in this above an exploitation film and occasionally succeeds. It's a gritty enough movie but the ending feels rushed and it seems hard to recommend over better, similar fare.

Ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched The Princess and the Frog. Unusually, my dad sat this one out because, and I quote, "There's no spaceships." Honestly he didn't miss much. I've never liked Disney films and this one just confirmed every idea about them I remembered in my head is absolutely true. The whole comic relief sidekick schtick they always do never fails to drive me up the wall. The alligator, the hillbilly firefly, and Lawrence...I'd have cut all of them on the scripting stage. The one thing that peeked my curiosity and got me to watch this one (besides a lack of familiarity compared to other overexposed Disney films) was the Lousiana setting, which they used exceptionally well. I loved Dr. Facilier's use of French, though it only happens twice which is a shame. In fact, Facilier is underutilized in general despite being tied with Prince Naveen for being the best character in the movie. Despite the title, I didn't care much for the frog shenanigans and much preferred the start of the film everyone is human doing meaningful things rather than random filler in the bayou. I really didn't appreciate how they handled the firefly's death. He should've been instantly crushed to death when squashed by Dr. Facilier (granted the same is true of both times Prince Naveen is squashed with a book) and it would've been a fitting end with a nice somber tone. Instead, they decide that he's actually still alive but not really cuz it's only long enough for him to have a dramatic death speech that as touching as it was frankly wasn't necessary. I loved how the opening music number introduces all the key characters in one feel swoop. It's very effective, even if we don't quite know who they are yet. Charlotte's dad seemed quite prominent at the start of the film so it's a bit surprising he just kinda disappears once they turn into frogs. I expected him to have a more important role, possibly as a villain. Anyway, those are my thoughts on the film in a disorganized ramble. I hope the wall of text isn't too off-putting.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good Will Hunting
Robin Williams and Minnie Driver give incredible performances, oh and Matt Damon was pretty good too. I think I like Finding Forester more as a movie, but the relationships between Will and Sean and Will and Skylar were fantastic. Language was a bit much for me personally, but there's a great story in this one.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Good Will Hunting
Robin Williams and Minnie Driver give incredible performances, oh and Matt Damon was pretty good too. I think I like Finding Forester more as a movie, but the relationships between Will and Sean and Will and Skylar were fantastic. Language was a bit much for me,l personally, but there's a great story in this one.
There’s a comedian that does a bit about Damon’s thought process writing this movie knowing he will play the lead that is pretty funny.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Princess and the Frog.
I thought that said The Princess Bride at first, and when you're review started going negative, I went to double check to see if we were in the unpopular opinions thread before reading the rest. It's not, so I double checked the movie title. My mistake. Lol.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I thought that said The Princess Bride at first, and when you're review started going negative, I went to double check to see if we were in the unpopular opinions thread before reading the rest. It's not, so I double checked the movie title. My mistake. Lol.
Maybe this is an unpopular opinion?: The Frog Princess is an underseen and underpraised Disney gem with gorgeous (mostly) 2D animation, great unique music, and enough twists to take a film clearly aimed at children but make it enjoyable for adults as well.

It's no Princess Bride though, which has apparently become fashionable for Gen Z to call overrated? Inconceivable.

Ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Princess and the Frog is no worse than any other 2D Disney movie. I just don't like any of them in general. They still have more soul than any of their 3D schlock at least.

And I do like The Princess Bride well enough, though it's nothing special.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Princess and the Frog is no worse than any other 2D Disney movie. I just don't like any of them in general. They still have more soul than any of their 3D schlock at least.

The Frog Princess is a total joy for me (so is the The Princess Bride) but I get it that if you don't like the classic post-Little-Mermaid Disney formula, it's not going to work for you. It's not an innovative film in that way, it's a "throw back" really, which is one of the things I love about it.

And I do like The Princess Bride well enough, though it's nothing special.

It's not for everyone, I've known people who hated it. It's a bit cheesy and very cheap looking in places but it charms the pants off me every time.

Ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Guys, can you please stop calling it The Frog Princess? It's called The Princess and the Frog.
It's not an innovative film in that way, it's a "throw back" really, which is one of the things I love about it.
I actually really love that they went the extra mile to do a full throwback to the 90s at the end of the 00s but it's ultimately a throwback to something I didn't like in the first place. Honestly if you removed the comic relief characters that would already substantially improve my enjoyment of those movies.

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Guys, can you please stop calling it The Frog Princess? It's called The Princess and the Frog.

I may live in the States, but I'm pretty sure it's called The Frog Princess in countries that are not based in America of North. Sorry, not everyone on this forum lives in 'Merica.

Ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't you dare call me a filthy American! I am Canadian and want nothing to do with their anarcho-capitalist shooting range.

As for the title change, I literally can't find any evidence of such a thing online, but I'm open to being proven wrong.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched...

Sorry to Bother You
I thought I knew what to expect, but actually, get this: didn't know what to expect. More absurdist and surreal than I could have possibly anticipated, entertaining throughout. Takes a particularly bizarre twist seriously, and I'm not sure I "got" that part beyond face value.

Why horses?

I recommend it, it's a fun and unique film with plenty to love.

I also watched...

Cooties
Teachers try to survive a zombie outbreak quickly spreading through the children at a school. I like a lot of actors in this, and the jokes made me laugh in the first half. The second half is not as good as, say, Shaun of the Dead, but what is? It doesn't take any of the main premise seriously which was probably necessary considering the taboo of child death on film. Pretty fun but won't win any awards or anything, watch with friends maybe if the plot sounds funny to you?

Last edited:

zeonicfreak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I got my copy of Sidekicks from Vinegar Syndome earlier this week, and to me its probably one of my favorite Chuck Norris film. I remember seeing it in the 90's and it made some impression on me to think about it over the years. I found out that VS had the bluray version so I got it to add into my collection. It's definetly cheesy in its own way, but I had an enjoyable experience watching that film in terms in how campy and over the top they make the adults as the villians in the main characters day dreams. It was a fun ride all around, I do not regrety my purchase. I need to blind by some Hong Kong action films from them in the future, i'll dig those as well.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched Showgirls the other day. I was scrolling through Paramount+ for something to watch, and found this. I didn't really know what to expect; I was familiar with its reputation, but didn't know anything about the film itself. I'm one to enjoy bad movies as everyone knows, and I dig Paul Verhoeven's other works. So what did I think in the end? I honestly thought it was really good, and don't have anything further to say.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched...

Sorry to Bother You
I thought I knew what to expect, but actually, get this: didn't know what to expect. More absurdist and surreal than I could have possibly anticipated, entertaining throughout. Takes a particularly bizarre twist seriously, and I'm not sure I "got" that part beyond face value.

Why horses?

I recommend it, it's a fun and unique film with plenty to love.

I also watched...

Cooties
Teachers try to survive a zombie outbreak quickly spreading through the children at a school. I like a lot of actors in this, and the jokes made me laugh in the first half. The second half is not as good as, say, Shaun of the Dead, but what is? It doesn't take any of the main premise seriously which was probably necessary considering the taboo of child death on film. Pretty fun but won't win any awards or anything, watch with friends maybe if the plot sounds funny to you?
Heartily enjoyed Cooties, though the ending wasn't exactly what I wanted. I absolutely LOVE Sorry To Bother You; it was my favorite film that year. Wildly entertaining while still having so much to say about society, it's everything Spike Lee wishes he could do. I wrote a long piece breaking it down here.

Macbeth (2015)
This gritty, violent historical epic should've been right up my alley, particularly as I've been a fan of so many other Shakespeare films that use the original(ish) language. I instead found it needlessly dreary and dire, with a mumbly central performance that did nothing for me.

Darby O'Gill and the Little People (1959)
Gonna have to make this banger a semi-annual St. Patrick's Day watch! Shockingly entertaining for a film of its age and subject matter, this is a Disney movie about a lazy Irish grandpa who spends about half his time in a battle of wits with the King of the Leprechauns, and the other half down at the pub telling stories about it that most people don't believe.

Ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched The Incredibles. It truly lives up to its title.

Last edited:

GarStazi

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Athena (2022)
I liked it a lot, but it has some issues. It’s innovative, that’s for sure. The insane pacing and constant action gripped me. It looked, at the same time, very raw and real… but also overstaged and overdramatized (alternating between both).
One thing I can’t say I liked is the plot / the overall message. The more I think about it, the less sense it makes, and that’s not ideal… However, as an experience (a very intense one), I would recommend it.

Babylon (2022)
This one is identified has an epic, period, black comedy and drama film (so, black dramedy ?...). This already shows one of the main issues: the film tries to be way too much at once.
Damien Chazelle is as great a director as always, my issues are with the script. If there is such a thing as too many film references that can be thrown at the viewer, this is it. It should have stopped at The Great Gatsby and a few others; it quickly became too bloated. The cinematography, the directing and the acting were all perfect. But the script is manically exhausting.

Top Bottom