• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ant-Man and the Wasp: Quantumania (2023)
I love sci-fi films and I vibe with the humor of the Ant-Man movies, so this was a big win for me. Takes you into a completely new realm where none of our rules and expectations apply, so there is some very fun world-building and great new characters. Unlike some of the MCU's more recent comedy outings, the humor never overshadowed the development of characters and themes that have been built on consistently from the first Ant-Man film, so I walked out of the theater with a big smile on my face.

What We Do in the Shadows: Interviews with Some Vampires (2005)
The thirty minute experimental short that gave rise to probably Taika Waititi's best film. You can tell most of this is improv-ed, but unlike his recent big budget work, there's no larger story that needs to be told so it works just fine.

Honeyland (2019)
Stirring, surprising, enriching documentary about.... a beekeeper. I was a hard sell for this film, but it turned out to be the most amazing human drama about perseverance and spirit. Can't recommend it more.

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Warriors (1979)

This is one of those films where I offer my thanks to eBay. Because without it, I never would've gotten a DVD copy of the far superior theatrical cut (Trust me. Stay away from that director's cut. The comic book style is horrendous). This is my 3rd or 4th viewing of the movie, and while I still find the last 5 or 10 minutes disappointing, the previous 83 to 88 minutes more than make up for it. Not sure what else there is to say about this cult classic other than "can you dig it?"

ParanoidAndroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Warriors (1979)

This is one of those films where I offer my thanks to eBay. Because without it, I never would've gotten a DVD copy of the far superior theatrical cut (Trust me. Stay away from that director's cut. The comic book style is horrendous). This is my 3rd or 4th viewing of the movie, and while I still find the last 5 or 10 minutes disappointing, the previous 83 to 88 minutes more than make up for it. Not sure what else there is to say about this cult classic other than "can you dig it?"
Guessing this might be of interest then?

Maybe this too?

ParanoidAndroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Warriors (1979)

Turns out that, as of last year, the theatrical version has been officially available on Blu-ray in Australia on the Imprint label.

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Guessing this might be of interest then?

Maybe this too?

It might. However, I think the general rules are that you have to own the official release at the same resolution or higher in order to watch the fanedit, which sadly disqualifies my DVD copy (I admit it's been a while since I read the rules and regulations, but I think my memory is right on this).

Turns out that, as of last year, the theatrical version has been officially available on Blu-ray in Australia on the Imprint label.

That's some good news for the Aussies. I, however, am an American, and all of the blu-ray releases we have over here are the director's cut. I'm not sure my player is region-coded for Australia, and the page doesn't specify if the discs are region A (or better yet, all-regions), so I'm not sure it will work with my player if I bought it. Still, that looks like a great set!

ParanoidAndroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It might. However, I think the general rules are that you have to own the official release at the same resolution or higher in order to watch the fanedit, which sadly disqualifies my DVD copy (I admit it's been a while since I read the rules and regulations, but I think my memory is right on this).
Don't see why owning the blu-ray DC (older copies can be got cheaply in UK at least) shouldn't be enough to obtain this edit since it was the main video source and technically almost all the changes were removals of material.

That's some good news for the Aussies. I, however, am an American, and all of the blu-ray releases we have over here are the director's cut. I'm not sure my player is region-coded for Australia, and the page doesn't specify if the discs are region A (or better yet, all-regions), so I'm not sure it will work with my player if I bought it. Still, that looks like a great set!
Region coding is a pain, but MakeMKV is not affected if you are prepared to either forgo watching the disc normally or burn a compatible copy yourself after ripping, but in this case I think the release might be region free. Another issue as I see it is the price, £35 minimum for UK, not sure what it would come to with delivery to USA.

Last edited:

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone know which cut of The Warriors is on Paramount+? I'm not familliar enough to know which version it is right from the start, and I couldn't find an answer on google. This talk makes me want to rewatch it.

ParanoidAndroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Anyone know which cut of The Warriors is on Paramount+? I'm not familliar enough to know which version it is right from the start, and I couldn't find an answer on google. This talk makes me want to rewatch it.
Don't know about Paramount+, but the Director's Cut starts with a "comic book" panel about ancient Greek soldiers, TC right away with the Wonder Wheel.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Oh you'll know! If you want to gouge your eyes out immediately it's the DC. But seriously @ParanoidAndroid is right about the greek voiceover intro.

Editzilla

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's region free: https://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Warriors-Blu-ray/311522/

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Don't know about Paramount+, but the Director's Cut starts with a "comic book" panel about ancient Greek soldiers, TC right away with the Wonder Wheel.
Well heck, this seems to be the theatrical cut then! I'm surprised nobody is talking about this.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A few "romantic" watches from around Valentine's Day...

Pam & Tommy (2022)
The Hulu mini-series shows Pamela Anderson and Tommy Lee falling in love, filming that love, and then getting said film stolen and passed to everyone at the party like a huge joint on April 20th. As public figures and a public story, Pam & Tommy didn't actually consult on this series or approve, though it's apparently quite accurate and quite sympathetic to Anderson. Maybe a bit long and meandering, but the amazing lead performances are worth the watch.

S#!%house a.k.a. Freshman Year (2020)
Micro indie about a momma's boy who is struggling with the move to college until he gets a crush on his R.A. The two leads are not the most sympathetic of people and the whole story is in a little bubble of oblivious entitlement, but it really nails the realism on some conversations and experiences. Could be a big winner for fans of mumblecore.

What If? a.k.a. The F Word (2013)
What's up with these alternate title films? Anyway, this is a rather underseen little rom-com about nice young straight white people trying to just be friends across genders. Less insightful on the topic than When Harry Met Sally but has quite a few oddly-specific quirky conversations and is led by great performances.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
File these three under "Coulda Been a Romance, But Ain't...":

A Streetcar Named Desire (1951)
Marlon Brando in only his 2nd role smolders through scenes in a way that could fool you into thinking this is going to be about simmering seduction or sublimated sexuality... instead, it's old-fashioned "It's a Man's world, and women be crazy" plotting with advanced verbiage.

Mona Lisa (1986)
Before his big film, The Crying Game, auteur Neil Jordan attmpted something similar here, but less shocking. High marks for the Phil Collins-soundtracked traipsing through dirty 'ol Kings Cross, but the film doesn't have much to it besides Bob Hoskins' bulldog performance.

This Is 40 (2012)
A down-and-dirty look at a formerly happy couple just about imploding as they reach their 40th birthdays in the same week. Judd Apatow has a gift for making the fights and dialogue in relationships super believable... so believable that this acts as an anti-marriage PSA: "Just say 'No' to marriage, kids!"

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
She Said. There’s two fairly niche genres I’m a sucker for: the heist movie and the investigative journalism movie. This is a solid movie of the latter. It doesn’t quite rise to the level of Spotlight let alone All The President’s Men, which is a tad frustrating given the subject matter. But it’s hard for me to pinpoint what kept it from those heights. The only specific criticism I can make is the way the film handles one victim (Laura) whose story is told outside of the investigation by different actors until the third act. This was at times a bit confusing. But that’s a minor quibble and the movie is still one of the year’s best.

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Somewhere in Time - 1980

This was recommended to me by ArtisDead, so I decided to give it a watch. Overall, this is one of the better made love stories. The cinematography is gorgeous. The music is effective. The direction by Jeannot Szwarc is arguably his best. I will say that I did watch this with my brain turned on and my heart turned off. And that was probably not the best way to watch this. Because if I'm being perfectly honest, Christopher Reeve's character... is a creep. In fact, I sided with Christopher Plummer's character when he was first introduced (although I will agree that he does take his actions too far as the story goes on). But Reeve's obsession with this lady from 1912 made me feel very uncomfortable, and that alone left me with no choice but to drop some points. However, if I'm willing to ignore that and focus on everything else, this is still one of the better romantic dramas I've come across. I wouldn't recommend it if you're looking for good dating advice though.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^I love the unique take on time-travel in that, but you're right, it's more of a sentimental movie than a cerebral one. My sisters absolutely adore it, and to put things in perspective: take the actions of nearly every single man in every single romantic film made and apply them to real life. You'd be arrested or have rotten fruit thrown at you. I prefer to just buy into the attraction of the characters rather than get into a discussion about cursed sleeping princesses not having agency when they're kissed. ;)

Ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched The Fifth Element with my dad. It was fun. The inclusion of Greek elements feels a bit random since it's only relevant for the last ten minutes or so yet they make it the title of the film. Ruby Rhod was a touch annoying, but I get what they were going for and respect it. He fills a role similar to Willie Scott in Temple of Doom, who I happen to be a big fan of. It just doesn't quite land here. His voice is kinda annoying but at the same time it's hard to fault when it's the perfect complement for his bizarre grandiosity. The needless sexualization of Leeloo was actually not nearly as bad as I had feared it would be, being mostly contained to the skimpy outfit they gave her in her first few scenes. I loved Ian Holm as the priest. Gary Oldman's villain Zorg was lots of fun too. Overall, it was a fun film and I recommend it for anyone looking for a good time and isn't too prude about sexual content.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched The Fifth Element with my dad. It was fun. The inclusion of Greek elements feels a bit random since it's only relevant for the last ten minutes or so yet they make it the title of the film. Ruby Rhod was a touch annoying, but I get what they were going for and respect it. He fills a role similar to Willie Scott in Temple of Doom, who I happen to be a big fan of. It just doesn't quite land here. His voice is kinda annoying but at the same time it's hard to fault when it's the perfect complement for his bizarre grandiosity. The needless sexualization of Leeloo was actually not nearly as bad as I had feared it would be, being mostly contained to the skimpy outfit they gave her in her first few scenes. I loved Ian Holm as the priest. Gary Oldman's villain Zorg was lots of fun too. Overall, it was a fun film and I recommend it for anyone looking for a good time and isn't too prude about sexual content.
Negative.

I am a meat popsicle.

🤪

(I love that movie, and for some reason that line has stuck in my head as the biggest question. What does it mean?)

Top Bottom