• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Rescue. Hollywood has ruined me. This incredible true life documentary felt almost cliche. Yet, like the filmmakers’ earlier Free Solo, knowing the outcome doesn’t diminish the drama. And I really enjoyed learning about the internal nuts and bolts of a story that was well covered externally. A criticism would be that I would’ve liked to have heard more from the non-English speaking side of things, including the kids themselves and their parents.

Last edited:

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Evita (1996)
As another sidebar to my Oliver Stone marathon, I decided to finally watch this film he wrote and tried to direct for nearly a decade. I'm not sure what kind of political focus his version would have had, but it surely would've been different than this toxic, misogynistic takedown. I wrote more here about how it came to be that three old white British men got to be responsible for telling the story of a young Argentine woman, essentially boiling it down to "she was a whore and a hypocrite and did nothing good except to benefit herself.":rolleyes:

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Card Counter. I thought Schrader’s last, First Reformed, was terrific, so I had my expectations high for this. It didn’t really live up to them. But it isn’t bad. Like First Reformed it isn’t exactly what you’re expecting. I don’t want to spoil things, but I will say I found it a bit uneven in various areas. One I’ll mention is acting. Oscar Isaac was superb; Tye Sheridan less so.

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Man with the Golden Gun (1974) Yep, this one. Where the silliness gets going, which is a shame because the majority of the movie is a decent Bond flick. But they had to throw in Sheriff Pepper and that jump. Watching the documentaries on the movie, they were really excited about that jump and for the time it was a big deal of a stunt...but why in a Bond film? And why put that stupid slide whistle over it? SMH. I really need to get @MusicEd921's edit to view.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Tender Bar. A memoir about deciding to write a memoir. Well done but ultimately empty. Tye Sheridan shows he can act. But it was not very good.

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Spy Who Loved Me (1977) Next up in the Moore era. Less silliness in this one--just the many innuendo one-liner quips that get a bit tired. Otherwise it's a nice straightforward spy adventure vs a villain with a Captain Nemo complex.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Tragedy of Macbeth.

The good: Filmed in beautiful black and white in a dreamlike middle ground between a stage set and a film. There is some absolutely stunning imagery. The bad: 4:3 aspect ratio bothers me. I grew up with 4:3 being cramped TV and widescreen being the majesty of film. This is obviously personal.

The good: the acting is (nearly) universally excellent. (I don’t want to beat up on children, but the child actors were not great.). The bad: As much as I love her, I just didn’t buy Frances McDormand as Lady MacBeth.

The good: it’s Shakespeare. The bad: it’s Shakespeare. Again, this comes down to personal hang ups, but like my issues with people moving plot forward in song in musicals, I appreciate Shakespeare’s verse much more on the page. But if you don’t share that hang up, you’ll likely love this moody take on the Bard’s masterpiece. I quite liked it.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Eternals (2021)
Well, I actually didn't finish this movie. The opening was ridiculous. The costumes are ridiculous. The acting is over the top or wooden. I fell asleep some where after they all start to try and find each other. I have no desire to try and finish this. Best line in the move, "Why didn't you guys fight against Thanos?" the response was laughable since they completely interfere with the technological advancement of human history. A dismal 3/10

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Moonraker (1979) Peak Bond silliness. I watched the original again a) since I'm going through them all right now, and b) to remind me of the starting point for the several excellent fanedits. Watching the documentaries on how they achieved some of the sets & SFX was almost more interesting. There's a good film in there trying to get out, and fortunately Last Survivor and MusicEd921 are there to find it.

For Your Eyes Only (1981) They dialed back the silliness a lot here. Deliberately brought Bond back to Earth, both figuratively and literally. Just a straight spy adventure and actually pretty good. I could have done without Bibi though. And the incessant double entendre quips.

Octopussy (1983) Another straight cold war spy story. With the Moore-era one liners that get old. A few silly moments with hotrod tuk-tuks and weird assassins.
Almost done with the Moore era, then a couple of somewhat cringey Daltons and on into Brosnan.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Last Duel. One of Scott’s better medieval films. It’s gripping and its Rashomon structure serves its narrative well. The underlying gender issues are, sadly, all too relevant to the present day. It’s not among my absolute favorite movies of the year, but its very good.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally watched the Matrix Retreaded. Today was the last day before it's off HBO max for however long.

Honestly I really liked and maybe loved parts of it. But other parts repelled me like when you flip a magnet over the other way.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Lost Daughter. This one is difficult to review without spoilers. Suffice to say it is a tense drama which unfolds slowly and deliberately. There is one plot element I didn’t like and I think very much undermined the movie for me. But overall it is very good with some amazing performances from Olivia Colman and Jessie Buckley, who is quickly becoming a favorite actress of mine. Mildly recommended but it could’ve been a home run if not for the aforementioned plot element I disliked.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Munich: Edge of War. My wife had read the book (simply called Munich, this film adaptation presumably subtitled to avoid confusion with the Spielberg film), so she was anxious to see it. It was a solid film. It plays a bit with history, but doesn’t feel like an alternate history. Recommended.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Last Duel. One of Scott’s better medieval films. It’s gripping and its Rashomon structure serves its narrative well. The underlying gender issues are, sadly, all too relevant to the present day. It’s not among my absolute favorite movies of the year, but its very good.

I'm actually pretty interested in watching this. It seems like something i would really like.

Although Ridley Scott thinks I won't like it because I'm a "millennial" (a young kid of 28... but that was his choice of term) and I use a cell phone. I'll probably watch it one of these nights even though a devilish part of me wants to not watch it for the irony of him having shot himself in the foot over such a stupid statement.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Noah (2014)
Yeah, I don't know what this was. As a bibilical story, this was utteruly ridiculous and without question unfaithful to the story it pretended to be based on. As for the fantasy aspect of the movie, the watchers were actually pretty neat. Their movements captured the look of stop animation and their design was intruiging. Russel Crowe is Russell Crowe. If you like that it's a good thing, if you don't, it's a detriment to an already failed outing. Both Jennifer Connelly and Emma Watson give strong performances, especially during the emotional climax scene. I don't mind different interpretations, but honestly, this was just terrible and shouldn't have been the story of the flood. It should have just ran with the watchers story line, did away with the flood and told the story of family that is seeking a new world and leaving a failed society behind. a dismal 2/10.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Noah (2014)
Yeah, I don't know what this was. As a bibilical story, this was utteruly ridiculous and without question unfaithful to the story it pretended to be based on.
Well the story it's based on (Genesis 6-9) is only 5 pages long, so they did a bunch of crazy stuff to get up to feature runtime, but I don't remember anything in there that actually contradicts what little source material there is.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, there is the whole glaring plot that Noah and his family were supposed to die because they were wicked. Yeah, that's not in the source.. As stated in the source you linked, 7 The Lord then said to Noah, “Go into the ark, you and your whole family, because I have found you righteous in this generation." The movie disregards this and makes Noah into a psychopath. Then there are the watchers.....

Darth Kermit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Haven’t watched Noah, but my parents said it’s horrible and completely butchers the story. If I’m gonna watch a recent religious movie, I suppose I’ll stick with (not in any order of quality) Risen, Signs, and Kingdom of Heaven (DC Roadshow Version of course). Any other suggestions are welcome, as I love to examine religious films.

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A View To A Kill (1985) So very '80's. The last of the Moore era. The villain MacGuffin is actually pretty apropos right now considering the current state of chip supply and Walken is his quirky self in the role. I found in this viewing aside from the incessant one liners that get old, the silliness was kept within reason. So another entertaining spy romp.

Don't Look Up (2021) A very pointed commentary on current politics and society. A sometimes slightly painful to watch comedy. I found myself chuckling and groaning at the same time. I don't think I'll watch it again, but it was a good viewing.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For MLK Jr. Day:

Remember the Titans (2000)
Better than it has any right to be. I'm kind of a sucker for sports films, especially American football, which is weird since I'm not very interested in actual sports. The focus on civil rights and racial issues here is probably as much or more significant than the (true) underdog sports story though, and both are done equally well.

The Rosa Parks Story (2002)
A made-for-TV romance story that almost incidentally portrays the Jim Crow climate of the time. Historically-significant director Julie Dash doesn't do much to impress here, and the film would be right at home on the Lifetime Channel.

Top Bottom