• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Matrix Resurrection (2021) I'm not as annoyed or let down as some on this one and overall enjoyed it. But, yeah. :| Some interesting meta concepts there, but presented in a spiteful-seeming way. I don't hate it, I don't love it. But I don't want my 2 hours back either.
If it only felt like two hours to you, then you clearly enjoyed it. Good for you!

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan.

It's gud. Ricardo Montalbán is great in it. There's not much to say about this movie that hasn't already been said, but it's talked about for a reason.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Pacific Rim: Uprising (2018)
This was kind of Ender's Game meets Power Rangers. I prefered the Mech v Mech fights over the monsters. I'm not a fan of Boyega, but he did a good job at the role he was given. this movie isn't anything to write home about, but I did find myself enjoying the Jaeger's a lot more in this one vs the first movie. Ridiculous, but good enough for mindess watching during a workout. 6/20

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Hurricane (1999)
Denzel is hands down the greatest actor of all time, IMHO. This movie is a rare moment of perfection. 10/10

LastSurvivor

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Spiral: From the Book of Saw - interesting premise, poorly executed with a lacklustre script, uneven pace, poor direction and a truly terrible performance from Chris Rock. Easily the worst in the Saw series.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The French Dispatch (of the Liberty, Kansas Evening Sun). I just love being in Wes Anderson’s world for a couple of hours. Is it my favorite of his movies? No. Are there things such as fourth wall breaking, constantly switching back and forth between color and black and white, or reverse subtitles that would cause me to roll my eyes (at least) in another filmmaker’s movie? Yes. But things that would be deal breakers and seem pretentious and cinematically callow for others constitute a uniquely Wes Anderson world that I love to visit. If you don’t appreciate Anderson’s aesthetic you won’t like this movie.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Some less-traditional Christmas movies:

American Psycho (2000)
I can understand this just not being for some people, but I think it's a whip smart satire that hits every single mark it's going for. Some deeper thoughts on it (including the ending) here.

Tangerine (2015)
This one, otoh, joins the ranks of 'made on iphones' films that really have that as their primary selling point. Works better for all the meta-textuals than as an actual film. Reasons why here.

Smart People (2008)
Should have been an adorable little indie with a killer cast, but the script is all over the place and it doesn't say anything particularly unique or worthwhile. Also, the music balance is way off and almost drowns out the dialogue pretty often...inexperienced directing really shows.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Matrix Resurrections - I really enjoyed the meta commentary on making this film but I found the rest disappointing.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Belfast. Beautifully filmed in b/w and wonderfully acted. It helps to think of it as through the eyes of the child (Buddy) just like with Roma a few years ago. Ciarán Hinds stood out to me for acting though all were great. It’s funny and touching, and my only complaint is that its 90 minute runtime seemed too short.

Last edited:

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Silent Night, Deadly Night (1984)
One of the first films to start firming up all the tropes of the Slasher sub-genre, this film steals the core concept from Christmas Evil (1980) and then does nothing as remotely interesting with it. Banger first 30 minutes that goes downhill quick after.

The Bishop's Wife (1947)
Pablum, milquetoast version of It's a Wonderful Life (1946). Apparently Cary Grant signed on in the role of the unsympathetic Bishop, and they shot nearly half the film that way. However, fights between the producers and director led to him getting fired, and the new director made Niven and Grant switch roles and refilmed the whole thing much more boringly, to great financial success.

Snowpiercer (2013)
It's a shame this never got a true wide release in the US...now that Bong and Evans are so huge, I bet it would find a voracious audience. It's such a tight little movie, a great way to turn over the New Year...uh, I mean "Yekaterina Bridge Day"!

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Les Misérables (2019)
I don't know how to adequately respond to this movie. It is the plight of pain & power. Unapologetic and raw.
Remember this, my friends: there are no such things as bad plants or bad men. There are only bad cultivators.”― Victor Hugo, Les Misérables

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Krampus (2015) - Krampy santa demon lazily torments people with gingerbread men and a "Friday Night at Freddy's" understudy group.
I just watched this one too. Not a great movie, and I'll probably never watch it again, but it was a fun way to spend an hour and a half.

Don’t Look Up. It was okay. It’s not subtle. Its central disaster comet is the most sledgehammery metaphor you’re likely to find and things are very on-the-nose complete with MAGA style “Don’t Look Up” baseball caps. But if you’re going to be that on-the-nose why play it up as an over-the-top farce? If this was played straight it would’ve worked way better in my opinion. Perhaps they thought it was too dark to play straight. I don’t know, but I kept thinking “what if” while watching. A missed opportunity for me.
My favorite part was Jennifer Lawrence's obsession with having paid for snacks.

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Diamonds Are Forever (1971) Back to my Bond films now that holiday movie viewing is done. I almost missed this one, and wouldn't have been sad to. It's never been one of my favorites. Tiffany Case always bugged me as the primary Bond girl in the past, and I never really liked the oddball Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd. This time however, she didn't bug me so much and either did the two assassins. I guess now that I'm older I get where the characters are coming from better now; though Mr. Wint and Mr. Kidd are still kind of cartoony charicatures. Connery did phone it in a bit, but there's worse. Blofeld being absent for most of the movie it felt more like a cop drama than a super spy adventure. Still not a favorite, but I dislike it less now; yes, faint praise but now I'm heading into the Moore era and its wackiness to bug me.

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Live and Let Die (1973) Moore's introduction as Bond. Not bad and before the silliness took over. Kananga is definitely not a Blofeld level master villain, but still serves his purpose to the story well. There is a strong blaxploitation vibe through the movie, along with the cartoonish redneck trope embodied in Sheriff Pepper. Those aspects that have not aged well over the past 40+ years, but taken in context of the times it's not a bad movie.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Before the silliness took over? You saw the sheriff and the exploding Kananga right?!

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Live and Let Die (1973) Moore's introduction as Bond. Not bad and before the silliness took over. Kananga is definitely not a Blofeld level master villain, but still serves his purpose to the story well. There is a strong blaxploitation vibe through the movie, along with the cartoonish redneck trope embodied in Sheriff Pepper. Those aspects that have not aged well over the past 40+ years, but taken in context of the times it's not a bad movie.
I used to obsess about trying to figure out a way to edit this into a tight, serious Bond movie. The tones are jarring. It's got so much awesomeness though...the best Bond song? The most gorgeous Bond girl? The coolest Bond kills? But there's just rampant wackness, and much of it not camp, just bizarre '70s stuff.

The Invincible Armour (1977)
Some people say this is a kung-fu classic, but it was mostly fairly typical for me. I think everyone just remembers it for the ending scene where they show that a villain can pull his testicles up into his body with an insert shot of birds eggs playing in reverse so they fall upwards into a basket. And one other shot of the eggs...

Nixon (1995)
Continuing my Oliver Stone marathon...on the commentary track for JFK, he called this "my Godfather Part II", but it's more like his Godfather Part III. A huge cast, an impressive production, but bloated, unfocused, and ultimately not very fulfilling.

Thief (1981)
Michael Mann's theatrical debut, the first 30 minutes are perfect cinema. It's a heist neo-noir that Nicolas Winding Refn clearly homaged and then improved upon with his Drive (2011). The strength in that film is the only weakness here: the central relationship just isn't developed or engrossing, but the movie just oozes style.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Roman J. Israel, Esq (2017)
This one kind of gets lost in itself and doesn't really have a clear direction, but that actually adds to Roman's character and Denzel's portrayal of Roman. It's not the best Denzel movie, but he does give a compelling character performance. It's a shame that the excuction of the story and the plot weren't at the same level as his acting. This movie was pretty much the same as Out of Time but in a more realistic less action approach. 6/10

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tron: Legacy (2010)
I used to say this was all pretty visuals and cool music with a forced, dumb story. Upon rewatch, I don't think the visuals are particularly good either. The fanedit Tron: Perfection is definitely a better way to watch this, though.

Ladyhawke (1985)
I had a memory of this being more interesting than it actually was. A fantasy film that doesn't really have much to it after you've got the initial concept, except for anachronistic humor and score. The Ladyhawke - Rescored fanedit fixes one of those, but it can't give more more sexy young Michelle Pfeiffer scenes, or more-exciting Rutger Hauer swordfights.

Indictment: The McMartin Trial (1995)
An HBO movie that Oliver Stone produced, it covers some tangential Satanic Panic child sex abuse allegations that helped America learn more about how little kids' brains work. Spoiler? Not the same as adults! And we only had to destroy the lives of 7 people and about 300 children to find that out. Fun!

Top Bottom