• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Whiplash [2014] - I thought this was a great film with a visceral message.

1*QtaiJr0QvMOAEfr69gEnBg.jpeg

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Margaret (2011)
My full review, in which I try to figure out why Lonergan got so much wrong here that he later perfected with Manchester By The Sea.

Persona Non Grata (2003)
My full review of this very worthwhile Oliver Stone doc on the reasoning behind the leaders of Israel and Palestine (filmed boots on the ground).

Underworld: Evolution (2006)
The 2nd film in the series, a mostly-sequel with some prequel flashbacks, this one convinced me that I don't need to watch the rest, no matter how sexy Beckinsale remains.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard, thought it would be fun, not seen The Hitman's Bodyguard, took my wife; we left after 9 mins! That'll teach me. GO ALONE!

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mad Max (1979) Not my first viewing by a long shot, re-watched with the wife since I just picked up the High Octane Collection blu-ray set on sale. Still love the cheesy FX, practical stunts, outlandish biker gang. It struck me this is the typical '70s revenge movie trope. The BD scan is pretty decent. Next up, Road Warrior of course and I'm looking forward to the Black and Chrome treatment for the Fury Road finale.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Russian Doll (2019)
A very short and fast-moving mini-series that wraps up in about 190 minutes....I was conned into binging to find out how all these disparate thematic threads pulled together into some kind of cohesive character development wrapped in an entertaining shell a la Palm Springs or Groundhog Day. Alas, the series works hard to present some of the most dislikable and forced characters and comedy before tying it up neatly in the trite, tropey, and vomit-inducing package of "we're all just here to help each other".

RBG (2018)
A killer documentary that looks at Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg's life like you would study case-law, through reviewing the decisions and impacts of the key cases in her career. I liked this immensely.

If Beale Street Could Talk (2018)

I somehow missed that this was the follow-up to Moonlight, but the fingerprints were all over it so I figured it out halfway through. Full of poetic lyricism and gorgeously-lit cinematography, this was better than I'd been led to believe.

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mad Max 2: The Road Warrior (1981) Again, a rewatch. I've always enjoyed this movie and the BD version is pretty good; probably the cleanest picture I've seen. The introduction by Leonard Maltin helped put some things in context. For example it hadn't occurred to me the movie works because it's basically a western. Watching this time I realized it's very much in the vein of a Sergio Leone/Clint Eastwood spaghetti western, except it's in the future and in Australia.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If Anything Happens I Love You (2020)
Felt a bit too manipulative for me, but undeniably a powerful short. More thoughts.

Shirley (2020)
Takes broad liberties with the real people's lives and should really not use any of their names or should be sued for libel. That said, a well-acted, tense story that taps into a feminist narrative but with impatient, scattershot directing imho.

Sound of Metal (2019- apparently took a year to get from film festivals to an Amazon release?)

Possibly my favorite film of 2020, and easily better than the top 10 films on most critics' lists. I think the movie was written off by a lot of people based on "Metal" being in the title and a tatted guy against a black backdrop being in the promo materials... fine. Anyone who was dissuaded from watching based on that judgement doesn't deserve the stunningly-executed, deep, moving, human experience that is this film.

orchidal

Reaction score
Trophy Points
the tomorrow war 2021
2/5
awesome creature design/fx and action sequences with a mediocre to poor everything else.
would love a shallow-as-hell 90min fan edit that focuses on action and cuts all those stunted emotional talks, maybe even radically omitting the
father-daughter
angle which just doesn't float here

Last edited by a moderator:

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Mummy (1999) Another longtime favorite, and another recent BD package deal pickup. So the rewatch. This is just a fun pulp fiction romp. It doesn't take itself seriously and there's no deep meaning, it's simply a fun action flick with plenty of memorable one-liners.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Black Widow (2021)
My full review, in which I tell how this was much better than I expected but still at least 5 years too late.

The Amazing Johnathan Documentary (2019)
My full review, in which I tell how this is different than Always Amazing (2018) but sadly fail to mention that Johnathan's wife, "Anastasia Synn" is a self-proclaimed "biohacker" and cyborg rights activist!

Ordinary People (1980)
My full review, in which I was shocked to admit that here was an '80s Oscar drama that was actually worth the hype.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rollerball, 2002 (HBO Max leaving soon)
This movie is silly with bizarre plot, characters, editing, etc until a VERY long "action" sequence in full-green faux night vision (possibly mixed with real night vision, who knows, but there was definitely some bad day-for-night in there) and really that scene just takes the spotlight from everything else. It's very jarring and pulled me so far out of the film experience, I switched to watching on a different device and googled about it to make sure the heavy green color going on for so long wasn't a streaming error, other than that this movie is about three laughs and five eyerolls.

Last edited:

Murikamir

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Tomorrow War: Interesting premise, bad execution, and had those same conservative undertones like ConAir did.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Music (2021)
I just watched this and checked the reviews of it on IMDB and noticed it got a 3/10 average score there and a 8% from critics and 13% from audience on Rotten Tomatoes. In reading the reviews, they are overwhelmingly about offense. Much of the offense is directly associated with the misrepresentation of individuals who have Autism. It is my hope that people who watch can understand that Music is not the full representation of Autism, merely a pinpoint on a spectrum of experiences. I have met individuals, who my direct interactions with, perhaps share her experience, and I've also met a lot of individuals who have a very different experience on that spectrum. I find it odd that Rain Man can be so celebrated, Dustin Hoffman's interpretation of Kim Peek, while this movie is so hated. I don't pretend to understand the lives and experiences of any of the characters in this movie. Zu's struggle with addiction and drug dealing, Ebo's trials (not wanting to spoil this) and Music's unique experience on the Autism spectrum, but what I did take away from this movie is that there is a unique pain that all of us carry and that if we can truly love eachother in our insecurities and struggles, we can make this world a better place. To me this was Sia trying to better understand the intersectionality of a range of experiences and how when they come together they can heal the soul and make something beautiful.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Loki (2021)
When Loki got punked in Thor: Ragnarok in order to make Hemsworth the cool one, I cringed. When he met the stupidest conflux of plot holes ever in Infinity War, I held out hope that more writing would come that redeemed him. This series appeared to be that chance, but the writing ends up falling into much the same territory and the series is populated by actors that I mostly didn't believe or care about.

Elfen Lied (2004)
An anime series that was inexplicably popular when it came out, I can only hope that Gen Z has grown up and dug deeper for something better. Full thoughts.

Black Mirror: Smithereens (2019)
I've only watched a smattering of these, but I quite liked this one. A tense thriller that could almost have just been a separate movie, especially in the pre-streaming days. Echoes of The Phone Booth or John Q, but of course the particular tech-y spin that BM puts on it is welcome.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Blade Runner 2049 (2017)
Funny that this came out 2 years before the original film is meant to take place. The almost slavishly-loyal follow up is greatly improved by @TM2YC 's wonderful "Aerodynamik" edit, which I hope everyone seeks out. This film is very complicated and beautiful and mostly works, and I encourage everyone to watch the prequel shorts "Black Out", "Nexus Dawn", and "Nowhere to Run" on Youtube before watching 2049, as they add a lot of helpful context.

Black Mirror: White Bear (2013)
Another anthology episode that works as its own short movie, this was a great twisty thought-provoking one that never quite jumped the shark for me. My mom liked it enough that I was then able to convince her to play Bandersnatch. :)

Mindhunter (2017)
I just watched S1 in a sort of fever pitch before I lost my Netflix access... there's so much thoughtfulness and artistry on display here, despite it really being TV. It feels more like a long continuing story that just has ad breaks, which is maybe why it's connected with Fincher (Zodiac) even though it was created by Joe Penhall and Joshua Donnen took over in S2.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mindhunter (2017)
I just watched S1 in a sort of fever pitch before I lost my Netflix access... there's so much thoughtfulness and artistry on display here, despite it really being TV. It feels more like a long continuing story that just has ad breaks, which is maybe why it's connected with Fincher (Zodiac) even though it was created by Joe Penhall and Joshua Donnen took over in S2.

S1 is genius. It goes downhill after in S2 without creator Joe Penhall writing, then after Fincher took over he seems to have got bored with it and vetoed a S3. Such a shame. S2 is still worth a watch though.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^Hmm...bummer. I usually don't watch TV series unless they have wrapped up and audiences were happy with them. Got burned too many times by shows like LOST, BSG, Dexter, Heroes, and so on....they just have a tremendous drop in quality along the way and I wish I'd never gotten invested. The good part about series like Dexter and Heroes though is that you can just watch S1 and pretend the rest doesn't exist. It's a complete arc and there really doesn't need to be any more than that.

I started Mindhunter in part because I heard that Fincher said everyone was welcome to do a S3 but he wouldn't be involved, then everyone decided if he wasn't involved then they wouldn't do an S3. Fans seemed to be happy with what was already made, so I gave it a go, assuming there was no huge cliffhanger ending or something to piss fans off. I will eventually watch S2, but sad to hear (though this is the first I've heard it) that S2 is a big drop off.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
S1 was at it's very best when it felt like Holden and Tench were out there on their own on the edge, far from base, exploring a terrifying new science that didn't exist yet because they were writing it themselves. Like early Mulder and Scully (before the X-files turned to sh*t) in a much darker and more believable way. There is much less of that in S2, more FBI office politics. As I said above, definitely watch S2, it's still good.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
91sBA5ojHpL._AC_SY679_.jpg

Jungle Cruise
4 out of 5

A solid return to pulp style adventure films in the vain of Indiana Jones and The Mummy. It has the right balance of action similar to earlier Pirates of the Caribbean movies and a good amount of humor (even if some of the jokes fall flat or are a bit corny). It's exactly what I'd hoped it'd be, even if the 3rd act wasn't as exciting as the rest of the cliffhanger-esque action. Fingers crossed for a sequel!

Top Bottom