• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

DSM2337

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Miracle Mile (1989)
One of my favourites from my time working in a video store (remember those?). Art house flick with big ideas.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies
Hit all the right notes for the P&P stuff (although the Cliff Notes version), but could have used better direction (and more budget/another draft on the script) for the zombie parts. Still quite fun in places.

Atomic Blonde
Most notable moment is a huge set piece about two thirds into the movie. It is designed to look like a single shot that covers shootouts, punch ups, knife fights, stair falls, elevator rides, and car chases with full on accidents, ala Children of Men. It just about works, but any editing experience and you'll see some of the joins. Otherwise, an interesting spy thriller with a cool soundtrack and set amongst a fascinating time in history.

Belgarath

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
After seeing the following video:

I decided to get and watch Speed Racer (2008) again. I saw it only once the year it was released and it didn't connect with me, even though I was watching and loving the cartoon growing-up. 

Having seen Coco in theaters few days earlier, the themes of family and commitment stuck with me and I found Speed Racer to be really about these things also. 

So yeah, I kinda have more appreciation towards the film. I don't and won't consider it great. But, felt it was nice to revisit.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It (2017) 

Didnt really buy the hype on this one but it works quite well both as a chiller and a coming of age drama, given the popularity of shows like Stranger Things and the whole clown craze thing last year I expected a cash-in, it is but it's a fairly decent one..

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mother! of director Darran Aronofsky
The hospitality of Bardem was for me not easy to swallow but overall was this a great horror movie

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
maniac said:
The hospitality of Bardem was for me not easy to swallow but overall was this a great horror movie

Really want to see Mother! it seems to be a love it or loathe it film, based on Aronofskys track record though I think I will love it!

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
maniac said:
Watched it last night, I knew what it was all a metaphor for and who Bardem was supposed to be  going into it so I overlooked his unrealistic behaviour.  Really liked the film, a great performance from Jennifer Lawrence and will probably make my top ten flicks of the year

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
alien: covenant
meh.

the recent alien movies in a nutshell: poor mission design + poorly selected crew + gorgeous cinematography.

i don't mind if the crew makes stupid decisions; many stories in literature and cinema are about flawed decision-making. but the set-up, the poorly thought-out missions are unbelievable and take me out of the story, and i'm never put back in.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jim & Andy - A fascinating and philosophical look at how Jim Carrey stayed in character for the Andy Kaufman movie but I think the footage could have been presented in a more anarchistic fashion in keeping with the subject.

Williams - A decent doc about the history of the Williams F1 racing team from Frank Williams early career to it's current boss, his daughter. Full of stunning archive footage but it is too often diluted with faked footage (complete with grain and film burn FX etc).

The Immortal Story - Re-watching this Orson Welles movie in the new Criterion 4K-sourced transfer is amazing. It's by far one of the best blu-ray transfers I've seen. The sound clarity is also better than ever.

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Mountain between us from director Hany Abu-Assad  (2017)

Normally not my stuff but this one was picked up by my girlfriend
She loves real-life stories and mostly when she sees this genre it's always for me the opportunity to take a nap
BUT, this one keeps me awake. beautiful shot, great acting, and Winslet is still a beauty
A story about surviving
I liked it

ssj

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
maniac, could you edit the mountain between us to turn it into a slasher movie? :D

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Belgarath said:
After seeing the following video:

I decided to get and watch Speed Racer (2008) again. I saw it only once the year it was released and it didn't connect with me, even though I was watching and loving the cartoon growing-up. 

Having seen Coco in theaters few days earlier, the themes of family and commitment stuck with me and I found Speed Racer to be really about these things also. 

So yeah, I kinda have more appreciation towards the film. I don't and won't consider it great. But, felt it was nice to revisit.

I think Speed Racer is pretty underrated.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ssj said:
maniac, could you edit the mountain between us to turn it into a slasher movie? :D

If they gave out awards on the internet you would definitely get a nomination from me in the comedy category :D

The Force Awakens, only the second time I've seen it, I thought it went downhill fast after the first 40 minutes on first viewing but liked it a lot more second time around.  Attack of the clones is still the best Star Wars movie though.  :D

maniac

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Killing of a Sacred Deer from director Yorgos Lanthimos

Man man man what a brilliant, BRILLIANT horror-thriller this is
It runs for 2 hours and there is not one dull moment in it
Acting, music and most of all the camerawork is outstanding
I don't say anything about the story, you must see it yourself 
And JESS, there will be a fan-edit of this when the Blu-ray comes out
This one is going absolutely in my Blu-ray collection
Fantastic!

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lanthimos's last movie The Lobster was great too, this is top of my 'must see' list now based on your review.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
Lanthimos's last movie The Lobster was great too, this is top of my 'must see' list now based on your review.

The Lobster was a strange movie. I think I liked it...

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yep definitely a strange one!

My favourite line of dialogue from it ...

"There's blood and biscuits everywhere!"

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
Sinbad said:
Attack of the clones is still the worst Star Wars movie though

FTFY

If you take fanedits out of the equation, I think AOTC is the best of the PT. Simply because it's so bad it's hilarious. Whereas Phantom Menace is boring and Revenge of The Sith is basically a cartoon (which I find both boring and unwatchable). But there's something so bloody entertaining about AOTC...

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
If you take fanedits out of the equation, I think AOTC is the best of the PT. Simply because it's so bad it's hilarious. Whereas Phantom Menace is boring and Revenge of The Sith is basically a cartoon (which I find both boring and unwatchable). But there's something so bloody entertaining about AOTC...

I disagree. For me, TPM is mediocre, AotC is boring and complete dogshit, and I like Revenge of the Sith and think it's a quite flawed but good movie, best of the PT. Overall, a very mediocre trilogy, but I enjoy I and III.

EDIT: Now someone's going to "FTFY" me, right? :D

Top Bottom