• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Commando (1985)
If all you want to see is Arnold Schwarzenegger mowing down millions of baddies who got their degree from stormtrooper academy, then this movie is for you.
Uhhh....yeah! That's like, the reason to watch 90% of his films! haha
I do also love how unintentionally homoerotic the film is. It's like a vicious scrap caused by a jaded lover.

Kicking off my Memorial Day viewing....

Wings (1927)
Absolutely holds up as a fantastic spectacle of an early WWI movie. The restored version looks and sounds great, and I linked to it in my full review. Just had a couple quibbles with it that I had ideas of how to fix here.

Space Battleship Yamato Resurrection (2009)
This animated movie was meant to kick off a new Yamato (aka: Starblazers) film series, but that actually didn't get going until later. Never having seen the original, I heard this could be a good jumping-on point, but I found it to be poorly-written, propaganda-ridden, derivative, and disappointing.

G.I. Joe: Resolute (2009)
The "GI Joe for grown-ups" that the live-action films never really pulled off, this anime-inspired short feature is a pretty fast-moving, mature, and enjoyable blockbuster action film that hearkens back to those old 5-part animated stories that were later released as movies. Written by Warren Ellis, this was made on a budget but is still probably the best G.I. Joe thing ever made, imho.

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Spider-Man: Across the Spider-Verse (2023)

Holy mother of holies! I didn't think it was possible to somehow be better than the previous entry, especially since movie 1 was one of my favorites from 2018, but they actually did it! The animation is as phenomenal as ever, the characters are challenged in ways I didn't expect, and the ending was shocking in all the right ways. If a better movie than this comes out this year, it's gonna be quite a great year for movies.

Editzilla

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did a double feature of both Spider-Verse and Guardians 3 at the theaters today.

Honestly, I vastly prefer Guardians. Story was just a lot better than Across, even though that had stunning animation.

The main issues I had with Across was:

When the hell did George Stacy or any police officer's death suddenly become important to the Spider-Man mythos? Or any adaption? Hell, I remember Charlemagne mentioned more in Spidey comics, and she's barely even mentioned!

They try and set it up as a "canon event", but even with other adaptions they never focus on a police officer being important to Spidey. They literally had to mess around with Spectacular canon to have it come across. So does that mean that Tobey and Tom are also gonna have to go through the same thing or what....

Also they have a subtext where it's poking fun at fans who insist that Spidey should have events adapted in films...........but when they set it up where Miles basically slaughters an entire universe by letting his dad die, it really does not work. It also pokes fun at people who say Miles isn't Spider-Man by having him set up as an anomaly who was never meant to be Spider-Man at all so-....wait, doesn't that exempt him from said canon events?

AND WHAT THE HELL WAS WITH BEN REILLY. Seriously, they hype up Mayday and Peter being a dad clearly acting as a "f you" to Marvel Editorial but then treat Ben as a "har har dumb stupid 90's" joke and then have Gwen nonchalantly kill him off? Hasn't he suffered enough after that Chasm crap in the Dark Web fiasco event?

On the other hand, you have Guardians which had heart and a much better plot.

May have been a bit unfocused with the inclusion of Adam Warlock, but the plot held up way better to any scrutiny one may have had.

Ironically enough, comparing scenes like Rocket's past with Spider-Verse's razzle-dazzle animation shows that technical innovation is only second to the writing. You can throw as much spectacle at the screen you want, but unless you back it up with the story properly it all means bupkis.

It also shows that even the most absurd ideas like a talking racoon experimented on by an egotistical maniac can hit hard with the right talent and actual respect for the character (you hear me Jeff Loveness with that shit MODOK????)

Also, I loved how they avoided the whole "dramatic sacrifice" trope that Endgame brought to fame. No one ends up dead, and everyone has a good ending. Know it sounds a bit corny (like some of the dialogue I'll admit), but trust me. This is the perfect ending for everyone.

On a whole, unless Beyond manages to put a nice cap on things, I feel that Across is gonna hold up poorly upon rewatches unlike Guardians which will stand as one of the best of the MCU

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wrapping up my Memorial Day action movies....

Pearl Harbor (Strength and Honor HD Remaster fanedit)

I've always had a soft spot for this mixed-bag, overstuffed film, but recently watching Wings gave me a new appreciation for what it was trying to do. It's just that the Romance and the War aspects felt like they were almost two different movies, and it was always the detailed, harrowing, tragic war scenes that actually moved me. Fortunately, @spence has recreated this great old fanedit and it's now possible to enjoy this as just a great War movie!

True Lies (Straight-Faced Edition fanedit)
I'm a little more mixed on how well this version of the film works, making a ridiculously over-the-top piss-take on the action-spy film into basically just a straight action movie. It's almost completely enjoyable except for the ending, but I just don't know how well True Lies ages...what was maybe ahead of its time kind of feels misjudged now...

Fear and Desire (1953)
Kubrick's first feature film is not one of those debuts that would show flashes of genius like Nolan's Following, Aronofsky's Pi, or Rodriguez's El Mariachi. Some directors manage to accomplish something really compelling despite a micro-budget....but that was probably a lot harder back in the '50s. Fear and Desire looks cheap, plays short, and feels undercooked. It's pretentious and stagey in the way that a lot of young men's films can be, and I can sympathize with Kubrick's later fear and desire to distance himself from it as much as possible.

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did a double feature of both Spider-Verse and Guardians 3 at the theaters today.

Honestly, I vastly prefer Guardians. Story was just a lot better than Across, even though that had stunning animation.

The main issues I had with Across was:

When the hell did George Stacy or any police officer's death suddenly become important to the Spider-Man mythos? Or any adaption? Hell, I remember Charlemagne mentioned more in Spidey comics, and she's barely even mentioned!

They try and set it up as a "canon event", but even with other adaptions they never focus on a police officer being important to Spidey. They literally had to mess around with Spectacular canon to have it come across. So does that mean that Tobey and Tom are also gonna have to go through the same thing or what....

Also they have a subtext where it's poking fun at fans who insist that Spidey should have events adapted in films...........but when they set it up where Miles basically slaughters an entire universe by letting his dad die, it really does not work. It also pokes fun at people who say Miles isn't Spider-Man by having him set up as an anomaly who was never meant to be Spider-Man at all so-....wait, doesn't that exempt him from said canon events?

AND WHAT THE HELL WAS WITH BEN REILLY. Seriously, they hype up Mayday and Peter being a dad clearly acting as a "f you" to Marvel Editorial but then treat Ben as a "har har dumb stupid 90's" joke and then have Gwen nonchalantly kill him off? Hasn't he suffered enough after that Chasm crap in the Dark Web fiasco event?

On the other hand, you have Guardians which had heart and a much better plot.

May have been a bit unfocused with the inclusion of Adam Warlock, but the plot held up way better to any scrutiny one may have had.

Ironically enough, comparing scenes like Rocket's past with Spider-Verse's razzle-dazzle animation shows that technical innovation is only second to the writing. You can throw as much spectacle at the screen you want, but unless you back it up with the story properly it all means bupkis.

It also shows that even the most absurd ideas like a talking racoon experimented on by an egotistical maniac can hit hard with the right talent and actual respect for the character (you hear me Jeff Loveness with that shit MODOK????)

Also, I loved how they avoided the whole "dramatic sacrifice" trope that Endgame brought to fame. No one ends up dead, and everyone has a good ending. Know it sounds a bit corny (like some of the dialogue I'll admit), but trust me. This is the perfect ending for everyone.

On a whole, unless Beyond manages to put a nice cap on things, I feel that Across is gonna hold up poorly upon rewatches unlike Guardians which will stand as one of the best of the MCU

Okay, I'm not exactly an expert in all things Spider-Man, but I really don't get where you got this idea that the canon event has to involve a cop. I think both movies made it clear that this isn't the case, especially since Across begins with Spider-Gwen's canon event, and there's no way her boyfriend was a cop. If you pay attention to the background when the whole canon event thing is explained, you'll notice that Tobey Maguire Spider-Man's loss of Ben is on the computer screen, meaning that that was his canon event. My best guess as to why you think it's supposed to be a cop is perhaps that Miguel was trying to speak to Miles Morales' level in a way that he could understand. But the whole point was that "being Spider-Man is a sacrifice."

Also, Tom Holland's Spider-Man lost his Aunt May, and later, his social life in No Way Home, so you don't have to worry about Tobey and Tom. They've already gone through it.

With all this said, I do like both Guardians 3 and Across the Spider-Verse. I just think Spider-Verse had the better execution.

Editzilla

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Okay, I'm not exactly an expert in all things Spider-Man, but I really don't get where you got this idea that the canon event has to involve a cop. I think both movies made it clear that this isn't the case, especially since Across begins with Spider-Gwen's canon event, and there's no way her boyfriend was a cop. If you pay attention to the background when the whole canon event thing is explained, you'll notice that Tobey Maguire Spider-Man's loss of Ben is on the computer screen, meaning that that was his canon event. My best guess as to why you think it's supposed to be a cop is perhaps that Miguel was trying to speak to Miles Morales' level in a way that he could understand. But the whole point was that "being Spider-Man is a sacrifice."

Also, Tom Holland's Spider-Man lost his Aunt May, and later, his social life in No Way Home, so you don't have to worry about Tobey and Tom. They've already gone through it.
Except Miguel tells him that the death of a police officer is a canon event to the life of a Spider-Man, showing multiple examples including Andrew and (in a moment that adds new info about said Spidey) Spectacular. That's why he's freaking out about his dad about to die. Miguel tells him that he is destined to die because he is a police officer and his death is a canon event which must happen. It's also why Gwen was relieved near the end when her dad quit, he wasn't the police officer for her event.

it's literally one of the main plot points they make and it doesn't make sense since George Stacy's death in the comics didn't really add much and other adaptions don't do it at all. (Hell, they had to add on that Spectacular's George suddenly died since he was still alive and well at the end of the series)

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tim's Vermeer (documentary from 2013)
Fascinating and convincing. I'm sold.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Before We Go (2014)
Chris Evans' only directing credit is this brief Romantic Dramedy that's on the edge of mumblecore. I liked it, but the writing is messy and I think it'll leave most people unfulfilled.

Little Women (2019)
Unabashedly crafted to a strong vision, a vision that I had a really hard time with. The big changes to the writing and editing of the classic story stood out like a sore thumb to me (a complete newb to the story) and didn't serve it at all imho.

Me Before You (2016)
I can't believe it but this movie is narrowly the best of the lot? It's the one must unashamedly a Rom-Com, and a weepy, but it's got surprising slaps of reality and it doesn't pander to the audience, at least not where it matters. Haters gonna hate, but it might be worth watching for the eyebrow acting alone. :ROFLMAO:

Ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just saw Speed Racer (2008). My only complaint is that the soundtrack isn't eurobeat. If there's one movie I'd love to see in VR, it's this one. My dad and I were convinced the villain was Tim Curry the whole time but it turns out it was some guy called Roger Allam.

Last edited:

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My dad and I were convinced the villain was Tim Curry the whole time
I remember thinking that in the theater. "Did they put Tim Curry in a ton of makeup or something?"

The performance is uncannily similar.

Ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's the performance plus the face. Allam looks like Curry if he put on a little weight.

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Psycho-Pass: Sinners of the System (2019)
The Psycho-Pass series of TV shows, movies, and games is all based on this not-so-far-away future when a country's surveliance system combines with A.I. to constantly evaluate people's mental state and determine if they need to be detained before they 'go psycho' and commit a crime. The wrinkle in the enforcement of this system is that somebody typically can't do it too long before their own "psycho-pass" is pushed beyond their ability to walk around relating to people normally rather than seeing inherent criminals everywhere, and so: cops often join the ranks of "enforcers" that end up doing all the dirty work of the job.

Sinners of the System is a trilogy of one-hour "Cases" that stand apart from the main series, though really you need some familiarity with that in order to watch them. "Crime and Punishment" is a direct follow-up to the Psycho-Pass Movie, which delves into a mental health treatment center with suspicious numbers. "First Guardian" is primarily a prequel film, which delves more into how the military and politicians view the chances of this system for export to non-Japanese nations. "Beyond Love and Hatred" is mostly just an action romp following fan-favorite Spike Spiegel-esque character Kogami. The 2nd one is my favorite.

2010: A Space Epilogue fanedit
I've always thought this 1984 follow-up to Kubrick's classic was rather underrated and the only major issue I had with it was the sort of ghostly visitations which slowed the film down. So I didn't really need all the other changes this fanedit made, though they were very much appreciated. A cool Sci-Fi film on its own, and this is a real gem of a fanedit.

Mare of Easttown (2021)
This HBO mini-series got rave reviews for Kate Winslett's performance as "Mare", but for me it was Evan Peters who stole the show. I would've preferred this crime thriller to be shorter and more focused and stop dicking around with all the unimportant sub-plots of every single person in town. When you get to the end and realize few of them have much to do with the TWO mysteries at the center of the story, it feels like this should have been a movie instead.

kinnikuman

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
took my 2 year old girl to see new little mermaid - I’m not a racist! My daughter loved it - and was cheering and singing! I don’t care about the casting ! But why ? Why do we need so many remakes ! Enough with remakes ! We miss Hollywood taking chances ! 1/5 I’m grading harsh cuz I’m tired of remakes

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
took my 2 year old girl to see new little mermaid - I’m not a racist! My daughter loved it - and was cheering and singing! I don’t care about the casting ! But why ? Why do we need so many remakes ! Enough with remakes ! We miss Hollywood taking chances ! 1/5 I’m grading harsh cuz I’m tired of remakes

Disney only cares about making money first and foremost, and until people stop giving away their cash to these remakes (like they did for the 2019 Lion King), Disney's just gonna keep making them. They've already announced a Snow White remake, and just recently of all things, a remake of Moana.

This is why I hate today's moviegoers. They don't understand that their money determines what gets made and what doesn't.

kinnikuman

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Disney only cares about making money first and foremost, and until people stop giving away their cash to these remakes (like they did for the 2019 Lion King), Disney's just gonna keep making them. They've already announced a Snow White remake, and just recently of all things, a remake of Moana.

This is why I hate today's moviegoers. They don't understand that their money determines what gets made and what doesn't.
as a dad im torn - I agree we should really speak with our wallets. But seeing my daughters big brown eyes asking to see the “new mermaid movie” I just can’t say no ! Lol! Also Indian jones 5 coming out on a couple of weeks ! I feel torn !!!

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Across the Spider-Verse: it was pretty good, but I left the theater angry at the cliffhanger. It's like, Infinity War was a multi-part story, but on its own it still had a beginning, middle, and end. This movie just feels like beginning, it doesn't stand as its own movie. I got the same feeling with Alita, but at least this will actually be continued.

Gods and Monsters: this movie is just depressing, I wasn't ready for it.

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Across the Spider-Verse: it was pretty good, but I left the theater angry at the cliffhanger. It's like, Infinity War was a multi-part story, but on its own it still had a beginning, middle, and end. This movie just feels like beginning, it doesn't stand as its own movie. I got the same feeling with Alita, but at least this will actually be continued.

I get what you're saying. I prefer a movie that has a beginning, middle, and end too. However, I think this was a rare case where the film didn't need to resolve everything (At least, until the spring of next year arrives). Tying things up would've lessened the impact on the themes of sacrifice and loss that the film addresses, and leaves us with much to think about. This is true of the conflict between Miles and Miguel. You're left to draw your own conclusion (for now) on who was in the right, and what it means to lose someone in comparison to billions of other people.

Top Bottom