• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

kinnikuman

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw mad max road warrior 4 k - I’ve seen this several times. And I couldn’t believe what a small budget this movie must of had ,. I always remember the first film being small independent and road warrior being the big production similar to reservoir dogs vs pulp fiction or el mariachi vs desperado . But seeing it again it was a very small production - I still love it but now thinking of fury road I can only imagine what this movie would have been with a huge budget. Who knows maybe it would lose a lot of charm - just thinking out loud. Also there’s one scene where max laughs that seems really out of place lol overall I purchased the anthology and I’m watching them in order And I’m proud of my purchase

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I rewatched Repo! The Genetic Opera the other day. It's... Not as amazing as I remembered. Maybe all the people I've talked to who don't like it are on to something.

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Robin Hood: Men in Tights (1993)

While nowhere near as memorable or as funny as some of Mel Brooks' other films (Blazing Saddles and Spaceballs to name two of them), I still laughed quite a lot while watching this, and I don't regret seeing it.

Ender

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I just finished watching Scooby-Doo 2: Monsters Unleashed with my dad (although predictably he slept through half of it). It was indeed substantially better than the first film but I also felt in a better mindset to watch it having carefully planned to willingly watch it tonight rather than stumbling into after a monotonous, tired day. It made for a nice wind-down after the skiing we did.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I rewatched Repo! The Genetic Opera the other day. It's... Not as amazing as I remembered. Maybe all the people I've talked to who don't like it are on to something.
To me something about the writing and direction make it seem like a poor imitation of Rocky Horror Picture Show. The premise is really fun, the movie should be fun too. But the biggest sin of all for a musical, the songs aren't great and I think hurt and stall the story more than they help move it forward.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
To me something about the writing and direction make it seem like a poor imitation of Rocky Horror Picture Show. The premise is really fun, the movie should be fun too. But the biggest sin of all for a musical, the songs aren't great and I think hurt and stall the story more than they help move it forward.
Yeah, I realize that my opinion changing is probably because the first time I was so enamored by the visuals, whereas this time I had it on in the background and only focused on the music. The music really isn't great, and the main girl is a terrible singer.

kinnikuman

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Black Hawk down - what a cast! Great looking movie, I wish I had seen the 4k. But over all good to see practical effects and it’sa decent movie. I did read somewhere that 4k movies might look weird with grain - unnatural. Any thoughts?

DrWho42

Reaction score
Trophy Points
mr. freedom (1968). stumbled across it via an old issue of psychotronic video.

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gremlins 2: The New Batch (1989)

Christopher Lee is pretty much the only reason to watch this. Remove his performance, and there's not much else to like here. Once the slimy green jerks hatch out of their eggs, the movie went downhill for me. The projection scene with Hulk Hogan's cameo is when the movie officially went from mediocre to bad. And the Abe Lincoln scene which mocks the tragic Santa Claus backstory scene from the first movie was angeringly cynical. This movie seems to be getting a cult following, and I think the only reason is because of how meta it was before it was cool. It's definitely not because the script was well-written and/or a worthy continuation of the first movie.

Last edited:

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
White Noise. I’ve never read the book nor any Don DeLillo, but apparently this book had a reputation for being un-filmable. It feels like an adaptation of Vonnegut or Pynchon. Like Pynchon’s Inherent Vice, I was late to catch on to what the movie was doing (thankfully I got it about 1/3 of the way through unlike Inherent Vice which took me a second viewing). I won’t say what I feel was going on but suffice to say plot isn’t the point. I quite liked it for the first 2/3 of the movie, but it lost me in the final act. With the exception of the very last scene. That scene alone is worth the price of admission. I may have to read some DeLillo.
The best thing about that film is the track that plays during the closing credits.

Editzilla

Reaction score
Trophy Points
sleepwalkers-561946da1f670.jpg

Based on an original screenplay of Stephen King.

And boy.......first half is good with a great atmosphere and interesting story. And then it just friggin loses it despite the cast give it their all.

Honestly, this is a film that's begging to be remade. King was really cooking something here, just wish someone could bring it to it's full potential.

6/10

Also this Enya song really deserves a better movie haha:

(really nails what the feel of the film should have been)

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There hasn't really been another film like it in 50 years... gets points with me just for that. Passing similarities to Rocky Horror and Hedwig, but really this is its own beast. Like all musicals, liking the kind of music is pretty key to how much you'll like it...those who detest early 2000s nu-metal/goth-rock are gonna have trouble with it.

Black Hawk down - what a cast! Great looking movie, I wish I had seen the 4k. But over all good to see practical effects and it’sa decent movie. I did read somewhere that 4k movies might look weird with grain - unnatural. Any thoughts?
Amazing film. The problem with a lot of 4k TVs is that you can't turn off the "motion-smoothing" tech...or at least all the owners I've met haven't been able to figure out how. I absolutely HATE watching properly-filmed movies with their lensing ruined by this AI soap opera effect.

Frederick Douglass: In Five Speeches (2022)
Short HBO doc that works as an amazing biopic without really feeling like one. Highly recommended.

The Lost City (2022)
Wants to be an update of Romancing the Stone so bad that it can taste it. That said, the positive reviews of this film have been too dismissive, like it's so easy to make a film like Romancing the Stone. That this works so well and still has some great surprises in it is a minor miracle.

kinnikuman

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There hasn't really been another film like it in 50 years... gets points with me just for that. Passing similarities to Rocky Horror and Hedwig, but really this is its own beast. Like all musicals, liking the kind of music is pretty key to how much you'll like it...those who detest early 2000s nu-metal/goth-rock are gonna have trouble with it.

Amazing film. The problem with a lot of 4k TVs is that you can't turn off the "motion-smoothing" tech...or at least all the owners I've met haven't been able to figure out how. I absolutely HATE watching properly-filmed movies with their lensing ruined by this AI soap opera effect.

Frederick Douglass: In Five Speeches (2022)
Short HBO doc that works as an amazing biopic without really feeling like one. Highly recommended.

The Lost City (2022)
Wants to be an update of Romancing the Stone so bad that it can taste it. That said, the positive reviews of this film have been too dismissive, like it's so easy to make a film like Romancing the Stone. That this works so well and still has some great surprises in it is a minor miracle.
Motion smoothing ? I didn’t know that was a thing !

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stumbled upon the movie Attachment from 2022. I gotta say, it's probably the best Jewish lesbian horror movie out there. It's your typical demonic posession story, I enjoyed it well enough.

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tales From the Hood (1995)

I went in to this hoping it would be the African-American version of Creepshow, and I wasn't disappointed. No, it isn't Citizen Kane, and no, it isn't trying to be (although if you pay close enough attention, you can see a lot of the political and racial subtexts within each story). Plenty of cheesy, spooky fun with this one. Recommended for fans of the horror anthology subgenre.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
QUANTUMANIA!

Pants with bells on!!!!!!!

Total CGI wall to carnage which was uninvested in character POOP...and Ioved Phases 1-3.

MCU need to ditch the CGI excess and focus on character or they will implode.

This ain't Pandora and they ain't James Cameron...!

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Motion smoothing ? I didn’t know that was a thing !
This is a good primer. When I was visiting family in the States recently, every single TV had it and it drove me nuts. Completely took me out of most films, and what was even more frustrating was that nobody else even knew the difference. Like I was the weird one for not wanting to watch films made to look like they were recorded with cheap telenovela cameras.

Selena (1997)
Biopic of Selena Quintanilla directed by Gregory Nava, of Mi Familia and El Norte fame. I'm currently living in Panama and have been traveling recently in Colombia, and thanks to this movie I now recognize Selena's songs still being played all over Latin America today. J-Lo is great, the film is fine.

The Last Duel (2021)
Ridley Scott back in fine form, getting fantastic performances out of an amazing cast. The Rashomon-style script gets a bit unwieldy in its deference to telling the female pov with its long final act, but this is otherwise a film firing on all cylinders.

Judas and the Black Messiah (2021)
I confess to thinking critics were lauding this overly much due to political and philosophical leanings rather than its quality as a narrative film (see: Black Panther) but oh how wrong I was. An absolute showstopper of a movie with LaKeith Stanfield's performance towering above it all.

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sheba, Baby (1975)

This movie tends to be looked down upon by Pam Grier fans (and the PG rating probably didn't help, even though this is still too naughty for the younglings, and would be PG-13 today). The plot is nothing special, as it's basically Coffy-lite. However, I did find Pam Grier's character to be very likable, and I still had a lot of fun while I was watching it. I'm not sure I can recommend it, but if you want to see more of Grier's filmography beyond Coffy and Foxy Brown, you could do worse than see this.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dark Side Of Dimensions, it was a great time. I've said before, I'm a fan of the card game and video games, but I never got into the show. I'm familiar enough with the characters and story through passing knowledge that I figured I could probably jump right into the movie. And I was right, enough context was given to fill in the gaps of my knowledge so I wasn't lost. It was a beautiful film to look at even if the animation itself was a bit choppy, and it took itself more seriously than the show. It was enjoyable, and I wish there was more like this to watch.

Top Bottom