• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

All the Way (2016)
Of the two films in 2016 chronicling Lyndon B. Johnson's presidency, this seems to be the better one. A compelling portrait of a man pushing hard to get transformative civil rights laws passed, but it's really Cranston's performance that's the most transformative.

42 (2013)
Chadwick Boseman's best film, where he portrays Jackie Robinson's crossing of the color line in baseball to play #42 for the Brooklyn Dodgers. Strong performances and a balanced, not-too-preachy hand on the tiller from Brian Helgeland.

Within Our Gates (1920)
The oldest surviving feature film from a black director isn't all that great, but it's pretty damn bold. Does not flinch from showing the reality of African-American life in the Jim Crow era, though the story is muddled and the production simplistic.

Lost Highway (1997)

It's taken me way too long to see this film, especially as a David Lynch fan. Seeing this one for the first time, I can say with safe assurance that I definitely loved this. Piecing together this puzzle was a lot of fun, and the performances and cinematography are quite something here. An absolutely thrilling, surrealistic hell ride. Lost Highway is a David Lynch fan's delight.

Groundhog Day - there was no better romantic comedy (or comedy in general) and I dont think there will ever be one. Timeless classic with great Murray's role. 10/10.

Black panther 2 - unwatchable. The marvel universe has completely fallen apart. In the first black panther we are shown how much training it takes to be the black panther now in the one his sister takes the juice and with zero training beats the main baddy (an immortal god!) of the film - basically making this more of a popeye the sailor movie. Same goes for iron heart she decides to make a robot suit, kind of out of nowhere, and is immediately out there fluting around spinning kicking butt - zero practice! I get these movies are for kids buy they used to be a little more grounded weren’t they ?

Last night I both watched and loved Black Panther 2.

immediately out there fluting around spinning kicking butt - zero practice! I get these movies are for kids buy they used to be a little more grounded weren’t they ?
One of my big complaints about so many of these legacy films and series. These companies are in such a hurry to get out newer, more modern characters to replace the old status-quo white, male, hetero characters. But they took the time to set those up, and then they just throw out the new ones as an afterthought! Is it any wonder people complain about them? For all the story problems it had, Ms. Marvel was actually a great example of how to do this right. They really took the time to build up the character's world and give her a learning curve, and what's more, her identity was important to her hero-ing...she wasn't just a pre-existing character with a new coat of paint slapped on.

Robin Williams: Come Inside My Mind (2018)
A solid documentary focusing a lot on Williams' early career. If you're looking for something that will reveal anything about his passing or his latter days, this ain't it. He had a lot of 'interesting failures' in his last couple decades, but this shyly refuses to examine any of that or mine them for nuggets, instead being a pretty joyful, almost idealized look at the comedian-as-icon.

Miracle in Cell No. 7 (2019)
Turkish remake of a Korean tearjerker that's like 50% I Am Sam, 30% The Green Mile, 20% Frankenstein, this is a film that's a lot more about feelings than logistics. Unfortunately, I'm a logistics guy.

Bridesmaids (2011)

I heard this pushed for years as the female answer to The Hangover, but it's barely anything of the sort. There's a Rom-Com with Chris O'Dowd wedged into this and some random skits with a cast of funny supporting people that really goes nowhere but it's like "hey, we know all these funny people, let's just throw everyone in and nobody will notice that there's really no story or depth or arc!" Wouldn't have been an issue I guess if I had laughed more.

My dad was aimlessly wandering Netflix and clicked on Scooby-Doo (2002) out of curiosity to have a look. Guess what we spent the next hour and a half watching. In his words "That's an hour and a half I'll never get back." While the aggressively Y2K visuals and soundtrack are amusing, the screenplay is not, so the film is not really worth your time. To paraphrase the film's writer James Gunn "It was satisfying financially, not artistically." The worst part is now I feel obligated to watch the sequel.

My dad was aimlessly wandering Netflix and clicked on Scooby-Doo (2002) out of curiosity to have a look. Guess what we spent the next hour and a half watching. In his words "That's an hour and a half I'll never get back." While the aggressively Y2K visuals and soundtrack are amusing, the screenplay is not, so the film is not really worth your time. To paraphrase the film's writer James Gunn "It was satisfying financially, not artistically." The worst part is now I feel obligated to watch the sequel.
The sequel is way better for what it's worth. Just don't watch the two live action Scooby-Doo movies that were made for Cartoon Network, those aren't worth anyone's time in any regard.

Frequently Asked Questions About Time Travel (2009)
Watched for Groundhog Day. My selection of time loop films to watch each year is running out, but this one did the trick. Very British, a bit underwhelming for me personally, but still a smart script with charm.

The Big Sick (2017)
Tries really hard to be both dramatic and funny and Kumail Nanjiani isn't really up to either task I think. Holly Hunter and Ray Romano steal the film out from under its autobiographer, and now I just want a sequel all about them.

Minding the Gap (2018)
Interesting doc that seems to be about skateboarding but turns out to be a deeper investigation into (mainly) these 3 childhood friends now becoming adults. I wish filmmaker Bing Liu got more financial backing for his future docs after seeing this...he's got a strong voice that deserves to be more widely heard.

The sequel is way better for what it's worth. Just don't watch the two live action Scooby-Doo movies that were made for Cartoon Network, those aren't worth anyone's time in any regard.
Yeah, I'm aware the sequel is widely considered better. I don't have any immediate plans to watch the TV movies but might check them out at some point. The Shaggy/Velma romance in particular has me curious. They can't possibly handle it worse than Mystery Inc. did.

UHF (1989)

A mixed bag for me. Sure, I laughed at times during this one. And I suppose there might be something here for fans of Weird Al, and surprisingly, fans of Seinfeld (If you want to see Michael Richards' before he became Kramer, that is). But the movie seems to have a hard time deciding if it wants to be a series of skits, or if it wants to have a full-fledged plot. This becomes a problem, especially during the second act, where a lot of the skits feel thrown in for no reason. It seems to me like the movie would've been better off if it were either one or the other, but instead, we get a hybrid. It's not the worst thing I've ever seen, but a clearer direction in the plot would've absolved a lot of issues.

Mara one - on Netflix. Great film it’s funny without any cringe and sweet without any sentimentality. Good acting as well. Totally recommend it

Mara one - on Netflix. Great film it’s funny without any cringe and sweet without any sentimentality. Good acting as well. Totally recommend it
What movie is this? A search only turns up a sleep paralysis horror movie which doesn’t seem to fit your review. 🤣

The Stuff (1985)

Although it's supposed to be a horror film, I went into this hoping for a good unintentional comedy. What I got instead was a movie that didn't work as either a horror film or a comedy. The movie wants to have a message about consumerism, so half the time, the movie takes itself too seriously. But at the same time, the premise just isn't that scary. The only way I can imagine this being terrifying are if gross-out special effects are what keep you up at night. They don't for me, so I'm sorry. I can't recommend this chiller about killer yogurt.

Watched Shakes The Clown, it was great. My big takeaway, I kinda want to see Tom Kenny as The Joker now.

Back
Top Bottom