• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Just saw Black Adam on a whim, it was kinda bad and I kinda loved it.

Showgirls - still not sure why it is considered bad movie. 7/10 in my book, almost 8/10 but final act wasnt good enough for that. Will rewatch again for sure.

Gwen, or the Book of Sand (1985)
A barely feature-length animated French film that's a throwback to bizarre '70s animation and Surrealist art, but never really gets trippy enough or comes together narratively. Has enough ambiguity for the usual cinephile suspects to drool all over it and talk about its hidden beauty, but don't believe the hype.

Clueless (1995)
Absolutely believe the hype! I could not believe how enjoyable this iconic film was, and regret writing it off as a girly rom-com for all these years. Outstanding young cast, epic soundtrack, directed with amazing balance and craft, this homage to Emma actually ages better than any period-accurate adaptation.

Found this movie at the dollar store called Poker Night, had a picture of a guy with a scary mask on the cover and featured Ron Perlman and Giancarlo Esposito so I had to check it out. It's an interesting movie, not great but might be enjoyable if you like the storytelling of the Saw films.

I continue on with my Universal Monster movie marathon with the so-called third movie in the Invisible Man series, The Invisible Woman, although I wonder if this should be considered as a part of the franchise. The first movie was a horror film, and a very effective one for it's time. The second one, The Invisible Man Returns, changed things slightly into a crime thriller. And now with The Invisible Woman, we move from crime thriller to... Screwball comedy?

Yeah. Um...

I'm not sure what to make of this one. Admittedly, I'm not a fan of screwball comedies, and not surprisingly, this one didn't make me laugh all that much. I have to wonder if this really is supposed to be a part of The Invisible Man franchise, because aside from the fact that somebody turns invisible, there's little to connect this movie with the previous two. Maybe there's something in here for you if you enjoy movies like The Philadelphia Story, but for someone like me, I say skip it.

Fortunately, the next film in the series, Invisible Agent, is a nice return to form. I'd still rank it below the first two, and there's one scene played for laughs that I wish wasn't. But it's better than Invisible Woman, and as a WWII espionage thriller, it works. The villains are arguably the best part of the film. One of them is played by Peter Lorre, and that's never gonna be a bad casting choice. Overall, this is a fun little spy thriller, and well worth a watch.

It's Thanksgiving for Americans today, and here are two lovely subversions of the family-friendly film:

The Addams Family (1991)
A movie about family reuniting and learning to accept each other's pecadillos. Ages so well, wonderfully deadpan dark humor and the casting is the best ever. I cackled with glee during the realistic Shakespearean duel children's play.

Enchanted (2007)
A loving homage to and simultaneous satire of the Disney princess sub-genre. Once again, phenomenal casting here (Amy Adams and James Marsden really are Disney characters brought to life) and super smart writing. This also has absolutely wonderful music by the legendary Alan Menken, and a fantastic musical scene brought to life in NYC that will probably never be equaled. La La Land what?

Disenchanted (2022)
Not as clever as the first, but also not the sequel slump that occurs with some straight to streaming outings. I wouldnt say that I liked it, but I certainly didn't hate it. The minions approved.

It's Thanksgiving for Americans today, and here are two lovely subversions of the family-friendly film:

The Addams Family (1991)
A movie about family reuniting and learning to accept each other's pecadillos. Ages so well, wonderfully deadpan dark humor and the casting is the best ever. I cackled with glee during the realistic Shakespearean duel children's play.

If you haven't already, I highly recommend checking out the sequel as well, Addams Family Values. It's one of the few times I actually liked the second one even more than the first. And the Thanksgiving play in that movie would've made perfect timing.

Blacklight (2022)
This felt like a high schooler made a TNT action flick and lucked out on getting Liam Neeson to be the lead. Poor dialogue, lacking motives, janky narrative, unrealistic action scenes that wouldn't fly in real life, etc. It just felt like they were tired, over trying or simply doing a warm up for a better movie on lot B.

Continuing my watch-through's of the Universal Monsters, I reach the final installment in the Invisible Man saga, The Invisible Man's Revenge, and like a lot of other monsters' final installments past, it's also the most hated one. And I'm afraid the hatred is justified on this one.

The first big mistake is with the main character, played by Jon Hall. In the last film, Invisible Agent, Hall played a mostly likable character fighting against the nazis. In this film, he plays a greedy, self-absorbed character who you want to see dead. The next big mistake is improbability, which becomes a serious problem toward the second half of the film. The darts scene is where my implausibility sensors went off, and they never shut up from that point on. I don't believe that anyone in that bar would look at those bullseyes without thinking something is up.

Also, the movie claims that in order for The Invisible Man to turn visible, they need the blood transfusion of a man, and they can't do that, because it would be murder. Has anyone in this movie ever heard of a blood donation before?

My Universal Monster movie binge declares farewell and adieu to The Invisible Man, as we venture towards the 1940's classic, The Wolf Man.

As a horror film, The Wolf Man doesn't work on me. But as a psychological treatise on the nature of good and evil, The Wolf Man is fantastic. Lon Chaney Jr.'s performance as the werewolf is arguably his best and most iconic, and it shows. In fact, this film benefits from a lot of good casting, including Claude Rains and even Bela Lugosi. Definitely worth a watch.

Next up, we have Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man. This is arguably the first movie ever to pit any of the monsters against each other. And yes, this was before House of Frankenstein and House of Dracula. Between the three, I think this is the best one. It's not perfect, mind you, but it is fun, and if I had to choose only one movie out of these Universal Monster movies specifically for Halloween night, I think this one captures that Halloween feeling the best. And even better, the monsters actually fight each other. Sure, it's only in the last 5 or so minutes, but at least I got what I was promised.

SEQUELS!

Addams Family Values (1993)

I watch this every few years or so for Thanksgiving, but this is the first time in a long time I rewatched the original right before. I've got to say, I now see why critics were a little less over-the-moon about this one, as it does retread similar ground and loses originality points. But the jokes come fast and furious and Joan Cusack is a delight.

Disenchanted (2022)
I went into Enchanted very skeptical that it would be for me, and ended up loving it. Then I saw the change in writer/director for this much-delayed sequel and went in skeptical again... and ended up loving it. I just really vibe with Menken/Schwartz musicals, and the satire in this is so smart and well-acted. Not getting the recognition it deserves.

JFK Revisited: Through the Looking Glass (2021)
Wrapping up my Oliver Stone documentary marathon, there was no way I was going to sit through the mini-series version of this after wasting my time on The Putin Interviews. This one is something of a return to form for Stone; still threatens to get bogged down in the latter part but ultimately confirms that there was a conspiracy to kill JFK and points the finger at Alan Dulles and the CIA, if not others.

My Universal monster movie binge has taken me to Werewolf of London. This movie was actually made before The Wolf Man, making this arguably the first werewolf movie ever made (but I can't prove that with 100% certainty). This film was quickly forgotten after The Wolf Man, and it's easy to see why. It's not bad, but at the same time, I can't call this one good. It's just... Eh. It might be interesting to watch just for the novelty of seeing how things have evolved with werewolf lore since the 1930s, but there isn't much to recommend beyond that.

Next up, we have what might be the final film in The Wolf Man saga, She-Wolf of London. Although that might be dishonest. Because there's no she-wolf in this film. Rather, this is a mystery movie. I suppose if you watch it for what it is, it's an okay film. But how did this get associated with The Wolf Man anyway? Like Invisible Woman, this has almost nothing to do with the Universal Monster movie lore, and I'm questioning why this film was thrown in to the collection. If you like a good mystery from Ol' Scotland Yard, then maybe you'll enjoy this one. But for everyone else, you're better off skipping it.

Avalon (1990)
A movie centered around American immigrants as they experience different generational struggles, coming back together across various Thanksgivings. I found Barry Levinson's script meandering and often boring despite a lot of good supporting actors.

Wira (2019)
Possibly Malaysia's best action film, this martial arts throwback has fight choreography (and a cameo) by recently-famous Indonesian Silat master, Yayan Ruhian. For me though, the breakout star was Fify Azmi as the 'lil sis' MMA fighter, and I'd encourage everyone to at least check out the opening fight, which is the most impressive of the film for me!

Avalon (1990)
A movie centered around American immigrants as they experience different generational struggles, coming back together across various Thanksgivings. I found Barry Levinson's script meandering and often boring despite a lot of good supporting actors.

I suppose I'll agree to disagree. I never saw the film as meandering, and I would much rather have more kid-friendly films like Avalon as opposed to the next cynical attempt to copy Shrek. The reason the film works so well, at least for me, is that it depicts how advances in technology and media (specifically, television) brought about the death of an entire way of living. And it's a theme that's arguably even more relevant now (I say as I hypocritically type this on my smartphone). It's rare that I can describe a film as being both family-friendly and tragic at the same time, but Avalon fits that description, and I respect it on that level.

^I can appreciate your disagreement. I totally see where that could be a resonant element of the script...it just barely stood out to me. What's the way of life? What is it defined by, other than poverty necesitating families living in cramped quarters together? Are we supposed to have attachment to dinner tables of 20 people all bickering and sniping and disagreeing with each other? I hated those bits and couldn't wait for them to end. The singular scene at the end of the film where they left the dinner table to go eat in silence in front of the TV was a far preferable option!

But mostly I was focused on trying to figure out whose story this was? The grandfather, who keeps telling the same story of how beautiful the shores were when he immigrated? The grown up son trying to make a business? The kids coming of age during rapidly changing years? THEIR kids who can't even conceive of a time before, but it doesn't matter because grandpa is telling the same stories? And what was I rooting for? I just have no idea what the focus of the film was, what anyone learned, or what I was supposed to learn.

Troop Zero (2020)
This movie is hilarious and heartwarming. Fantastic acting by everyone and a beautiful story of finding hope in each other. A rare perfect movie. 10/10

Guardians of the Galaxy (2014)
Retracing the journey of these guys in the lead-up to the conclusion of their journey. This time I got thinking how this miraculously does everything right that Eternals did wrong....

Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017)
The first MCU film that I felt a little disappointed by, the juvenile humor here starts stepping on legitimately-earned drama. But the movie still has a ton of heart and was a pleasure to revisit, even if the "trimmed" version didn't really improve things for me.

Thor: Ragnarok (2017)
Still my most disappointing MCU film to date. I love Thor and the Norse gods as grand, epic beings that are a bit cold to humans, and the contrast is what's funny to me. So when this film just turned everything and everyone into a joke, I felt pretty betrayed as a fan who actually really wanted to see a movie about Thor and Norse gods. Instead, I got a blatant wannabe Guardians of the Galaxy clone.

Avengers: Infinity War (2018)
Very much like GotG V2, this film uses the Guardians as one of the greatest emotional cores of the film, especially in playing off Thanos. But they also have gags that go on way too long and step on the drama (the deleted scenes with them are great tho?!)

Avengers: Endgame (2019)
Not much of the Guardians in this, even though Rocket, Groot, and Nebula are featured. It's really more in how Nebula becomes a foil for Thanos and old Gamora and sort of earns her redemption and membership as a new Guardian. She honestly becomes a better, richer character than she's ever been in the comics.

Thor: Love and Thunder (2022)
I've gotten to where I skip a lot of MCU stuff when it first comes out now, as most of Phase 4 has looked like a trainwreck to me... sloppy, rushed, populist portrayals of the characters and stories that bear little relation to the comics stories or even characters. Marvel hires up-and-coming writers to adapt this stuff and it's done very blockbuster-style, without attention to the buildup and context that made it work in the comics. This film was just more of the same of that, which I also despised in Ragnarok. I expected nothing and I got it. Just watched to see if they did anything with Thor and the Guardians, which no, of course they threw away that rich potential immediately.

The Guardians of the Galaxy Christmas Holiday Special (2022)
Has the vibe of most Christmas stuff, very schmaltzy and kind of soft and glowy, would be at home on the Hallmark channel. That said, quite a bit of fun, and I love seeing Pom Klementieff get the spotlight.

Back
Top Bottom