• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Jedi: Rekindled

poppasketti

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TLJ-R%20Poster%201_Red_Xsmall.jpg

Hello,

I am a first-time fan editor who just completed an edit of The Last Jedi, with the help of users at OriginalTrilogy.com. I am starting this thread in order to spread awareness, in hopes of having the film registered with the IFDB.

For The Last Jedi, I had a reaction similar to Hal 9000, and his Legendary edit is the most in line with what I want to see. It smoothly trimmed Canto Bight and was conservative with regards to cutting humor, along with a host of changes and tweaks I had never even considered that drastically improve the pacing.

However, for me there are a few scenes I still have trouble watching, scenes that take me out of the movie every time: Leia’s spacewalk, Finn vs. Phasma, BB8 piloting the imperial walker, and Rose’s “rescue” of Finn. I don’t want to be a curmudgeon, and I realize that Star Wars is lighthearted fun, but these scenes broke my suspension of disbelief and disengaged me from the story. So, with permission, I have used Hal’s edit as a base, and made a few additional changes, outlined below.

Technical Specs:

There are two versions, one with the Palpatine additions, and a “NoPalp” version for those who don’t want to TROS tie-ins. The latest version with Palpatine is 4/20/20, and the latest “NoPalp” version is 04/05/20. The final runtime for each is 142 minutes (credits roll at 134). Please PM me for more info.

Please PM me for more info.

There are four sizes to choose from:

1080p Blu-Ray Quality MKV (34gb)
Video: H.264 at 30-35mbps VBR
Audio: 5.1 DTS, 5.1 Dolby Digital AC-3
Extra: English Subtitles and Chapter markers

1080p High Quality MKV (10gb)
Video: H.264 at 10mbps VBR
Audio: 5.1 Dolby Digital AC-3

720p Good Quality MKV (4gb)
Video: H.264 at 4mbps VBR
Audio: 5.1 Dolby Digital AC-3

720p Good Quality MP4 (2gb)
Video: 1280x536 H.264 at 2mbps VBR
Audio: 5.1 AAC

Full List of Changes
(Password for all vimeo links: fanedit)
* indicates V3 changes
italicization indicates changes carried over from Hal 9000's "Legendary" edit

• Trimmed Hux prank call to remove the "mama" joke
  • Trimmed Paige kicking the ladder slightly
  • Very slightly trimmed Paige’s grabbing the detonator
  • *Rey Whispers "Finn" Before He Wakes (
  • Tweaked music during Luke's saber toss so it's not a joke (
    )
  • Reinstated the ‘Luke Has a Moment’ deleted scene
  • *Dark Side Cave 1st Appearance Sith Whispers (
  • *Subtle Force Skype Sound Additions (
  • Reinstated the deleted scene where Poe gives Finn back his jacket (with scene transition provided by OT.com user pleasehello)
  • Cut Luke drinking milk (just that shot, not the scene)
  • Removed both appearances from the ‘Caretakers’ on Ach-to (with a visual effects shot courtesy of OT.com user snooker)
  • Trimmed away the lone porg who gives Chewie the doughy eyes, though leaving the joke intact otherwise
  • Removed Luke’s line to R2, “Nothing can make me change my mind.”
  • Removed Leia's spacewalk (some music and edits inspired by Ivan Ortega’s version) (
    )
    • FX shots: transition from bridge explosion to exterior. Added light reflections from explosion onto shot of Poe and co. looking out of the window.
  • Cut Maz's line about having a physical relationship with the codebreaker
  • Cut down the first sequence at Canto Bight to focus solely on finding the master codebreaker (also removing sounds of coins rattling around inside BB8 in two shots)
  • Blended the original Anakin lightsaber ignition sound with the existing different sounds for two shots
  • *Dark Side Cave Sith Whispers and Hood (https://vimeo.com/384295532)*
  • *Flashback Palpatine Laugh (by HAL 9000 and TiMartyn) (https://vimeo.com/383368779)*
  • Made it appear as though Finn and Rose follow DJ out of the cell, briefly elude the guards, and the scene ends. Next time we see the trio, they are already in hyperspace (also removing the implication in the later scene that BB8 helped steal the ship).
  • Added a center wipe transition from the scene with Finn, Rose, and DJ in hyperspace to the fleet losing their medical frigate
  • Used a few shots from a deleted scene to remove the iron/spaceship gag, which borrowed from an old spoof which laughed at Star Wars rather than along with Star Wars (film speck removed by OT.com user poppasketti)
  • Trimmed some of the comedy with BB8 being placed under a basket
  • Trimmed the heavy, direct hinting before Snoke’s death, using musical score from TFA (courtesy of OT.com user poppasketti: https://vimeo.com/271774914)
  • *Snoke Sith Death - added subtle "essence" of Sith as he's split (https://vimeo.com/385102880)*
  • *Praetorian Knife Continuity Error Fixed (https://vimeo.com/394568223)*
  • Removed Finn fighting Phasma and BB-8 in imperial walker. (https://vimeo.com/283242749)
    • FX shots: rotoscoped BB-8 into two shots (closeup and wide) of Finn and Rose escaping hanger, and added Phasma’s body lying on the ground.
  • *Reinstated Finn/Rose deleted scene. (https://vimeo.com/394579555)* 
    • V3 enhances the partially incomplete effects in the scene to make them blend better 
  • Moved the scene with Luke and Yoda to immediately prior to Leia looking out over Crait (using audio and video provided by OT.com user Darthrush)
  • *Added Wilhelm Scream (https://vimeo.com/393498450)*
  • Removed Finn’s line about the battering ram canon being “old Death Star tech.”
  • *Removed Rose's suicidal "rescue" of Finn and their dialogue after (based on darthrush’s The Dark Cut)(https://vimeo.com/289775362)*
    • Now, Rose gets shot down, and then Finn does. FX shots: two shots of Rose getting shot down (one provided by OT.com user big_gareth), removed Kylo-Ren’s shuttle from shot of AT-AT firing, added sparks and lighting from explosion inside Finn’s cockpit, removed 2nd skimmer from two shots of crash, rotoscoped Finn and Rose out of cannon firing, added reaction shot with explosion light on Kylo-Ren’s face.
      • V3 has several improvements, including adding walker moving into position to fire on Finn, adjusted position/angle of walker firing (mockup by NeverarGreat), fixed targeting effect shot display (element provided by smpearce1981), removed beam and cannon hum when Finn exits cockpit, and several other enhancements. 
  • The crate Luke sits on as he talks with Leia is now stationary and motionless, unaffected by him (effect provided by OT.com user poppasketti)
  • Trimmed Hux ordering fighters to follow the Falcon, leaving this poor tactical move to be attributed to Kylo Ren’s emotional priorities
  • Removed Finn’s line, “Oh, they hate that ship!”
  • Removed spot on the sun as Luke gazes out after collapsing, which caused some presumably inadvertent misdirection for some upon first viewing (courtesy of OT.comuser poppasketti)
  • *Palpatine Makes Contact - (https://vimeo.com/384287747)*
  • *Broom Boy Rebel Ring Removed (https://vimeo.com/393368723)*

Special Thanks:

Since I’m building off of Hal 9000’s excellent Legendary edit, I felt it appropriate to include his special thanks to those who helped with his edit through feedback and work, as well as adding the names of those that helped with my own version.

Everyone at OriginalTrilogy.com who contributed, including:
Hal 9000 (Legendary edit, ideas and guidance)
DarthRush (FX shot and ideas)
big_gareth (FX shot and ideas)
smpearce1981 (FX shot and ideas)
Pleasehello (FX shot)
Snooker (FX shot)
ChainsawAsh (DTS audio advice and overall QC)
MalàStrana (English subtitles; poppasketti conformed for Rekindled edit)
jarbear (ideas)
RogueLeader (ideas)
NeverarGreat (ideas)
FreezingTNT2 (ideas)
Ivan Ortega (ideas)
Axios (ideas)
ziggyonice (qc)
revstevens (qc)
InitAbsolute (qc)
idir_hh
TiMartyn
krausfadr
Siliconmaster482
StarkillerAG
AnakinStarkiller
Jar Jar Bricks
Darth Muffy
stevepaynter
IlFanEditore
Natedug
jeebus
HyperDown
liambrazier
krlozdac
DigMod
stretch009
One69chev
Collipso
LordPlagueis
BMadden
Drakul
StrafeSawdoffe
TV’s Frink
HerekittykittyX
DominicCobb
LordRorek
Imadethisfortheanticheeseedit
Zachary VIII
OutboundFlight
TiMartyn
Handman
Dr. Krogshöj
Nightstalkerpoet
EddieDean
DZ-330
Nd4spd
ChiefWamsutta
Valheru_84
TK-422
Possessed
CourtlyHades296
AbramPT
CarterStarkiller
Cheebo
Snoke&mirrors
Sir Ridley
Anjohan
Kaweebo
Oojason
TheLostJedi
Littlev87
Dat_SW_Guy
Toastedzen
Adywan
Tobar
Arosa1091
Chyron8472
TK251
Bop
Gimpy
LeonardoRamos
Octorox
Jrs81
Bromeo
Iryin01
NFBisms
sade1212
Noodle_Finger (editor behind a prior edit of TLJ)

I also must thank my wife for sitting with me through several viewings, making valuable suggestions (how to fix "Space Leia" to name one example), and being patient with me throughout!

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd just like to chime in over here and say what a great edit this is - for anyone who liked Hal's Legendary edit but didn't think it went quite far enough in some areas, this is the edit you're looking for.

I particularly like the subtle music shift during the saber toss, the removal of Leia's spacewalk, and the way you handled Finn's suicide run and Rose getting shot down instead of crashing into Finn.

Fantastic work for your first edit!

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Love what you have done with the removal Finn fighting Phasma and escape from the hanger scene. good stuff

poppasketti

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you both!

Hopefully, I’ll get a response soon to my request for submission to the IFDB.

In the meantime, I am encoding a 10gb version to go alongside the Blu-ray quality (34gb). After that, I’m thinking a 2-4gb version at 720p.

poppasketti

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello, this is now available at 3 different sizes:

1. 34gb 1080p Blu-ray quality with DTS and AC-3
  2. 10gb 1080p version with AC-3
  3. 4gb 720p version with AC-3
I was going to do a 2gb version, but I couldn't get the quality right for one of the first flyover shots on Ahch-To. If anyone has any favorite ffmpeg or other encoder settings, I'd be more than happy to try them!

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I recently watched this and some of the edits and ideas are great - i love the way you managed to get Finn and Rose out of the hangar using the rotoscoped BB8 and deleted scene...BB8 in the scout walker in the original had me choking on my popcorn... but for me personally a lot still needs to be cut and trimmed into something truly watchable. 

When you say you used Hal's edit as a base did you have permission to use his raw files or did you build your edit from scratch using some of his ideas?

poppasketti

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last Impressions said:
I recently watched this and some of the edits and ideas are great - i love the way you managed to get Finn and Rose out of the hangar using the rotoscoped BB8 and deleted scene...BB8 in the scout walker in the original had me choking on my popcorn... but for me personally a lot still needs to be cut and trimmed into something truly watchable. 

When you say you used Hal's edit as a base did you have permission to use his raw files or did you build your edit from scratch using some of his ideas?

Hey Last Impressions,

Thanks so much for your feedback! I’m glad you enjoyed the new hanger scene. The Finn/Phasma fight always seemed to slow down the narrative to me, and the BB-8 walker moment was just too goofy.

That’s fair if you’d like more cut. This is still a generally conservative edit, especially when it comes to humor, and we’re not all going to see things the same way!

For the most part, I used the blu-Ray conformed to Hal’s edit, along with his lossless audio. For 2-3 shots where fx had been done for Hal’s (such as removing the caretakers and adding wipes), I used Hal’s blu-Ray quality release version. I also did a few small FX shots for Hal’s edit, so for those I used my After Effects prores renders. All of this was done with his permission first!

revstevens

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll watch this over the weekend and give you some notes if you like. Or just impressions. Whichever you prefer.

poppasketti

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
revstevens said:
I'll watch this over the weekend and give you some notes if you like. Or just impressions. Whichever you prefer.

I'd be happy with whatever feedback you're able to give. I am always willing to hear criticism as it often helps me form my own opinions. Overall impressions are very nice, and some specific notes could be fun to talk about. I appreciate your time, though, so please don't feel pressured!

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edit submitted for Academy review. Thread moved to pending.

revstevens

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
poppasketti said:
I'd be happy with whatever feedback you're able to give. I am always willing to hear criticism as it often helps me form my own opinions. Overall impressions are very nice, and some specific notes could be fun to talk about. I appreciate your time, though, so please don't feel pressured!

Here you go! No pressure at all!

1. Flickering of stars in opening crawl. Was that in the original?
  2. Noticable pixelation of text in opening crawl.
  3. Track 1 seems out of sync
  4. Track 2 seems fine
  5. Several instances of noticeable pixelation during dreadnaught sequence
  6. Really nice work on the sabre throw. I like the original but that was really well done.
  7. I feel like Rey retrieving the lightsabre can be cut entirely so that we go straight to Chewie bursting in the door.
  8. Noticable pixelation while Ren is in the elevator breaking his helmet.
  9. Not sure how I feel about cutting the laser sword line, since it mirrors the ending, but the scene does work.
  10. I think if you're gonna cut the milk drink, you can just cut that whole bit and go straight from hiking to the pole vaulting. Personal preference though.
  11. Excellent work on Leia's spacewalk and the Porg gag.
  12. Personal musing: what's the point of casting someone like Laura Dern as Holdo if you're just gonna kill her in the same movie?
  13. I think you should save the “reveal” of the hole in Rey's wall until Luke asks about it and just cut the shot that pans to it. Because that shot just falls flat without the caretaker joke.
  14. Thank you for keeping the reach out joke. That one works really well.
  15. Is there anyway to correct Rey’s lips changing color during her first training scene (after she goes to the dark)? It's always felt very noticeable to me.
  16. I don't care for the Iris wipe from Ren to Finn and Rose. It feels off. It could be my memory screwing with me but I think that Start Wars usually saves Iris wipes for the end of the movie. That's fairly minor though and I could easily be wrong about that anyway.
  17. Noticable ghosting at the start of Rey’s second lesson during the establishing shot with Luke's voiceover.
  18. Noticable artifacts during the Canto Bight jail escape. But the editing there is really well done. Excellent job on that sequence.
  19. Is Rey's discomfort about Ren being shirtless necessary? I've never understood that. Is she supposed to be a lesbian? Asexual? Virginal? I think you can cut it.
  20. God, her lips change colors during the dark side cave, too. What is it with Daisy Ridley's mouth? Or was it poor makeup work? Or are my eyes going?
  21. Seriously, great work on Canto Bight.
  22. Seems like there's a lot of pixelation/ghosting when Rey and Ren are in the elevator, heading to see Snoke.
  23. I don't know if I preferred the original version of Snoke's death or this one. But this one does work. So I think it's just personal preference.
  24. I would like to see the gruesomeness of the fight with Snoke's guards toned down (especially the beheading). But that's just me and this is your edit.
  25. Excellent work cutting out the Phasma fight. I mean, the rotoscoping on BB-8 is noticable. But only if you're looking for it. I'm willing to bet that if I showed this to my wife, she'd have no idea. Great job.
  26. I think the Yoda scene can be cut entirely. It's great to see Yoda but I don't think we really need it. We could, I think, infer that Luke came around after much mediation when Rey left. At the very least, I'd recommend cutting everything about the Jedi Sacred Texts. None of that is really necessary.
  27. I think the shot of Rose, right before she gets shot down, needs to be flipped. Not sure if that would create any continuity issues, but that's the only shot from that side of a speeder so it feels off.
  28. Can you mute Finn's “Rose!” as he gets out of his speeder after getting shot down? It's no longer needed, since she didn't ram him.
  29. I would suggest muting the music after Leia's line about the galaxy losing all hope (so that it's silent when she gets to the bit about the final spark) and slowing the shot of Luke entering to about 70%, and add some footstep sound effects, then bringing the music back as he drops his hood.
Overall:
Quality of your editing - 10
Narrative (original) - 7.5
Narrative (this edit) - 9.5
Quality of this encode (34gig) - 8

revstevens

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Side note: does my comment above show all the formatting code for anyone else? Or is it just me?

poppasketti

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
revstevens said:
Side note: does my comment above show all the formatting code for anyone else? Or is it just me?

Hehe, yes it does! I can see through kind of well but if there’s a way to fix that it would be best! You could try the clear formatting button, although that might mess up your list?!

poppasketti

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hey revstevens,

Thanks so much for your feedback, the detail is wonderful and I really appreciate it! I love your ideas (and musings!), but before that I want to make sure I understand the technical comments, because a good encode at blu-ray quality is essential for me. Could you tell me exactly how you were playing the video so I can duplicate your setup? I looked back at my encode and am not seeing the issues you mention, so I'm hoping to figure if there's an issue with my setup or my eyes!

revstevens said:
  1. Track 1 seems out of sync
  2. Track 2 seems fine

Track 1 is the DTS track, and the DTS tracks for both the Official Blu-ray and Rekindled played out of sync for me on certain setups, particularly on Roku. Reading up on it, it is a known bug on Roku (or Plex, there's some debate about it). In VLC and blu-ray player, both DTS tracks played in sync for me.

revstevens said:
  1. Flickering of stars in opening crawl. Was that in the original?
  2. Noticable pixelation of text in opening crawl.
  3. Several instances of noticeable pixelation during dreadnaught sequence
  4. Noticable pixelation while Ren is in the elevator breaking his helmet.
  5. Noticable ghosting at the start of Rey’s second lesson during the establishing shot with Luke's voiceover.
  6. Noticable artifacts during the Canto Bight jail escape. But the editing there is really well done. Excellent job on that sequence.

First off, credit for the cutdown of Canto Bight must entirely go to Hal 9000 and his "Legendary" edit, which this edit is based on!

As for the pixelation and other artifacts, I am actually not seeing them. There is a very slight flicker of the stars during the opening title crawl on the official blu-ray, and it looks to same to me.

Here's a few screen grabs, which I know may not show everything, but I tried to pick the most likely frames for compression to hurt. If it would help, I can also post a screenshot comparison between Rekindled and the official blu-ray.

Grab_1.jpg

Grab_4.jpg

Grab_6.jpg

Grab_11.jpg

Grab_12.jpg

Grab_13.jpg

Grab_14.jpg

Grab_15.jpg

revstevens

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm on a 55" LG OLED HD (not 4k) TV, watching straight from a USB stick. The oled part may be what is making the artifacts more noticeable for me. 

Audio sync. Easily remedied with the delay function on my surround bar. It just seemed odd that one was in sync and the other wasn't. 

I'll check my official Blu Ray for the star flicker and some of the artifacting when I get home. They may be on the original. To be fair, I am overly critical of that type of thing since I first noticed it on my TDK DVD. Now I see it everywhere. So, to some degree, you can flat out ignore me. But I do think there where some that should be looked at. I'll try and get you specific timecodes/frames. Or I'll just fix them myself and send you the stills to drop in your sequence. I need a break from removing all the damn wires in Highlander anyway.

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
FWIW, I noticed no sync issues with the DTS track when played directly from the USB port on my Samusng TV or from my KDLinks media player over HDMI. And the official Blu-Ray is kind of a shitty encode with rough compression artifacts all over, so that stuff is likely baked into the source.

poppasketti

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks so much for your QC help and verifying the DTS audio sync, Ash! It’s a tough one to test and I’m relatively new to it. It seems that some setups have issues with DTS sync in general, and it’s a hardware/software issue, not the encode.

As for compression, working with revstevens, I’ve identified a few areas where the encoding does come up a little bit short and some of the finer grain structure breaks down. This tends to happen in the shadows of high contrast scenes that have a lot of sharp detail (explosions in space battles, for example). Fortunately, I’ve gone back and identified the issue: these moments were using Hal’s encode directly instead of the blu-Ray encode conformed to Hal’s edit. I had only meant to do this for certain moments where Hal did FX work, but some larger chunks were left in by mistake. Consequently, there was an extra generation of compression from the source blu-Ray. Doing some testing I was able to recover the lost detail for these shots. 

While I still am confident in the viewing quality of the current release, the desire for the best blu-ray quality compels me to make a new encode. I don’t think this would be a V2, as the content is the same, so I will put the render date in the file name as I have for all of the others.

Thank you, revstevens, for identifying the issue, so I can make the fix! And thank you again to everyone for their feedback, as, from the very beginning, it has helped make the edit better than it would have ever been on my own!

poppasketti

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yesterday, I made a new encode to help with areas where the compression was showing, and the results are a significant improvement!

Here's a frame compare (scaled 400%) with the before and after:
http://www.framecompare.com/image-compare/screenshotcomparison/01M1NNNU

And here's the problem frame:

BEFORE
Old_FULL.jpg

AFTER
NEW_FULL.jpg

BEFORE (400%)
Old_CU.jpeg

AFTER (400%)
New_CU.jpeg

The new Blu-Ray quality encode has been posted and the medium and small should be posted by tonight.

Thank you, again, revstevens, for helping identify the issue, and I'm so happy to be able to offer an improved quality of the film!

Adam

Top Bottom