• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Jedi - Expanded Edition

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
piSwNwI.png

As somewhat of a follow-up to my ROTS Expanded Edition, this one extended Episode VIII to it's longest running time (with finished VFX). ebumms has already done his own extended cut, but this differs slightly. His included a portion of the longer Fathier chase, which had unfinished CGI, while I won't opt to use that. I've also used a portion of the extended opening, Rose biting Hux and "Where We Belong" as he did not. The "Luke Mourn" scene transitions to Leia as it does in Rekindled unlike his cut going from Luke mourning to his daily routine. Similar to his cut however is the inclusion of almost all of the Canto Bight B-Roll, so those who hate that subplot might dislike this edit. Anywho, here's a full list.

ADDITIONS
- Added a Resistance officer telling Poe the First Order found them, and him contacting Lt. Connix
- Added Luke mourning Han's death 
- Moved around a couple of Resistance scenes to accomodate match-cutting that scene with Leia coming out of hyperspace
- Added Poe catching Finn up to speed on what happened, giving him his jacket back (last 3 changes borrowed from poppasketti)
- Added BB-8 showing Finn a hologram of Rey saying goodbye to Finn (puppeteer's arm removed by ebumms)
- Added the Caretaker staring down Rey for blasting a hut wall
- Added almost all of extra Canto Bight B-Roll to extend the Red Ponbloom search (extra SFX added by ebumms)
- Added Luke's third lesson, telling Rey to be a proactive Jedi
- Added the extended Mega Destroyer incursion, cutting a few of the shots and lines that were repurposed in the Theatrical Cut, or where some shots are missing the digital set extentions 
- Added Hux taunting Rose, ending with him ordering her excecution
- Added Finn telling Rose they are going back to "where they belong" (Crait reflection and perspective, and audio work done by poppasketti) 

Theatrical - 2:31:51
Expanded - 2:41:57

BLKzyfl.png

Here's the snippet from the Alt. Opening

And the Rose/Hux scene. It's not 100% but I feel it's finished enough to fit in.

I'm not too sure if there is anything from any Trailer, TV Spot, or the other Blu-Ray BTS stuff that could be put in. As far as I'm aware, the only thing from the trailers that didn't end up going in was Rey on the beach but that has been put in as apart of the Third Lesson. If anyone knows of any other stuff that can be put back in, I'd love to hear about it.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You mentioned you were interested in working on the Phasma deleted scene a while back. I think that’d be great to see

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
You mentioned you were interested in working on the Phasma deleted scene a while back. I think that’d be great to see

I'm still looking into whether or not I can work something out for that scene. Potentially Ebsynth or something could prove useful. If not, then I would absolutely include it in a workprint of sorts

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’ve done my best to try and integrate the deleted Phasma scene, and it’s a little tricky as the scene was reshot, so the continutity doesn’t line up completely. I’ve done some colour work just to try and make the compositing look better, mostly removing the matte lines around the characters. If I were to finalise this, I’d do more work trying to remove Phasma’s red tracking dots

Sh6EF4K.png

EtkjCZo.png

greenturnedblue

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Big improvement! I think the four quick shots of phasma shooting the gun are kinda goofy, I can't really tell but it seems like the "left" and "right" angles are doubled. As in, she shoots left twice and right twice and it appears to be the same clip copy and pasted. We only see two troopers go down so it's really only necessary to show the first left shot and the first right shot. I was a big fan of ebumms extended canto bight sequence can't wait to see what you came up with!

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
greenturnedblue said:
Big improvement! I think the four quick shots of phasma shooting the gun are kinda goofy, I can't really tell but it seems like the "left" and "right" angles are doubled. As in, she shoots left twice and right twice and it appears to be the same clip copy and pasted. We only see two troopers go down so it's really only necessary to show the first left shot and the first right shot. I was a big fan of ebumms extended canto bight sequence can't wait to see what you came up with!

I just looked at it up close, but they are definitely 4 unique shots and not repeated, so I will be keeping all of them. Plus I just think those shots are really neat anyway.

Here's a first pass at removing the Phasma tracking dots too, hopefully it looks pretty seamless

etvapR2.png

Cc2vtOP.png

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m also putting together somewhat of a “Complete Workprint” that includes the Alt. Opening, extended Fathier chase, extended Phasma encounter and the small “Go Round Back” moment on Crait. I haven’t been able to put the Paige scene back yet, it might yet fit somewhere.
Currently it runs at 2:46:26, a bit under 5 minutes longer than the regular Expanded Edition.
Here’s the extra Crait bit, not sure about the music, might need to replace it or just extend it somehow, anyone know if there is a track just like it that would fit?

And the end of the Phasma fight, now extended a little with more of the unfinished VFX. I have replaced Phasma's SE-44C blaster with the correct SFX as well

I've rendered out a small 5gb version of the Expanded cut without the Phasma scene if anyone would like it, for feedback if anything. I can do a full BD-25 encode if desired too

greenturnedblue

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
anyone know if there is a track just like it that would fit?

Maybe 3:01-3:13 of Escape from the Episode 8 Soundtrack? It wasnt in the movie and fits almost perfectly

Apnt3006

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This looks great! Definitely wanna give what you've done a watch and then probably incorporate some of the deleted scenes with my Hal9000/Poppasketti edit I have going for my own personal viewing. I sent you a PM but I'll post here as well as a friendly reminder :)

Nic

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes!!! I'm always jonsing for more Last Jedi! When will this be done, or is it done already?

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry for the delay, but any and all audio issues have now been fixed. Another small bit has also been added of Rose with the Fathier before it runs off, which was cute. 

I apologise for the delay in PM responses, but I'll try to get through them all and respond to everyone

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry for the delay, but any and all audio issues have now been fixed. Another small bit has also been added of Rose with the Fathier before it runs off, which was cute.

I apologise for the delay in PM responses, but I'll try to get through them all and respond to everyone

That alternate moment for Rose goes a long way I think. Shame it was cut.

Top Bottom