• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The last Dawn (formerly red dead dawn, completed)

hmm odd is that I do not. Send it over again---

I received my copy of it today, and will watch it during the week... International posting is faster than I thought. Thanks alot for posting it.

I have my fingers crossed that you like it. Of course it will never be perfect, but I think I was able to pull off what I wanted with the sources I had--

this is now up on RS.

Oh yeah... Umm what am I supposed to critisize about this? I watched this a while back, and would like to write a comment about it. However, is there a certain amount of things I should comment on or something? Like what should I say and so forth?

Whatever you feel like saying. If you liked the film, if you did not like the film, etc

I'll use the so-called Boon-template here.

The edit:
I thought this was a rather... well, original fanedit. I have never, ever see Red Dawn. I have seen the other movies used here, but since Red Dawn is essentially 90% of this fanedit, it is kinda difficult for me to comment on the changes made. However, what I should note is that I didn't note too many of the image cuts until the end with the obviously added filters in the zombie scenes (more on the ending later). I think this edit starts off abit too fast, I mean we get like a few lines of text to read and then we're already thrown in the middle of a rather decent story. The original Red Dawn-movie probably isn't too good if it isn't majorly modified here, because I thought that that part here was extremely jumpy. But after the Red Dawn is over... Dear god. I'm really sorry to say this, but the ending is way too damn fast. Everything just moves way too fast. First we get a nuclear war, then after a text a huge zombie epidemic has broke out! Like what? I did like the scene from Zombi 2 being there though, it worked great, but still. The scene from Independence Day was absurdly out of place here, and if I remember correctly it had no set-up at all, I thought that the president and such were already zombified or something, but instead they just suddenly pop up somewhere. Then there was the whole Day Of The Dead-material, which in it's own right was ok, but the filters you added to the scenes looked sorta cheap and I thought this, like most of the ending, was abit out of place. Then when it actually ends... it comes abit, well, fast. The ending screen just sorta pops out all the sudden, and there's no real sense of climax. So I liked the Red Dawn-part to an extent, but didn't really like the ending much.

Editing: 4 of 5, due to the weird text boxes and the bizarre filters.
Entertainment: 2? of 5, the confusing ending greatly diminishes this fanedit's entertainment value.

Image quality:
Kinda blurry, but I guess that it's because most of the movies here weren't exactly brand new. However what bothered me was the aspect ratios. You didn't change them to create a feeling of consistency, instead you let every movie roll with it's original aspect ratio, which was sorta distracting. However, I do think the image quality was extremely watchable as far as the clearness and such go.
4 of 5.

Audio quality:
This was a mixed bag. I thought that some of the things were really well done audio-wise, like the aforementioned Zombi 2-scene, but for example in between the Day Of The Dead-clips the audio changed constantly, which wasn't very nice to hear since it only essentially faded out.
I'll give this a 3? of 5, but can't really comment too much as to why because of my limited memory.

The DVD:
Simple. Just a button for play and info about the edit. I would've wanted english subtitles, but with a project this big, they would've been a pain in the ass to make. The menu image was awful-looking, I must say. The DVD works, but that's about it. Seriously needs a pimped out release, this does.
1? of 5.

So that comes to an overall of
3 out of 5

I really hope you go back and remake this eventually to make the ending more subtle, because you have something here :)

Thank you for your honest opinion, but I need to know if you actually watched this carefully or if you casually watched the film? I have no issue with criticism except when something is explained in the movie:

First, about the beginning:
the original red dawn film starts out the way my edit does. It gives you the narration and the film opens up at the school. It just shows a few moments really in the high school and then picks right up from there. Again the narration in the beginning sets things up more so.

the end:
Right before the end of red dawn you see a shot of a missile with the biohazard symbol being launched. It is also stated that the said target is 134 miles away. When that first bomb hits this is followed up by narration I added telling you exactly what you just saw and the consequences from this attack (which was a limited missile attack with biological agents, NOTE that I DID NOT SAY NUCLEAR). I then stated what happened as a result of this and that in turn brings you to the new scenes. I then gave more narration stating what happened a few days later after this chemical attack (and thus the living dead return). When I use the day of the dead footage I added the subtitles of one month later. Its obvious to see that this epidemic is spreading all over the place but did not entirely take out the whole country. This cuts to the Independence Day footage and I used the NORAD entrance from wargames to show you where they are. This also opens with "lets nuc the bastards." This fit perfectly well and is not out of place. It shows the living dead over running and in turn It is showing what is left of the US gov and their plans to solve the issue. Remember it is stated in the film a few times that the whole US was not fully invaded and that the attack with the chemical agent only was aimed at areas ooccupied by invading forces. I then cut to the aftermath of this true nuc attack and the film ends.

audio:
the audio from the day of the dead segment had to switch because I was taking clips from the end of the film and spliced them with the very beginning. SO when it fades from showing empty streets to a zombie eating someone that is the whole point of this scene. The music fades and returned with each scene. The audio was actually blended and not a true fade. More of a crossfade. The video effect used on this wass supposed to show a bit of flashback. Like currently the streets are empty and slowly filling with zombies. When it cuts to the zombie attack scenes that digital noise I added was meant to show this is why the street scene is looking the way it does. The zombies attacked people.
My real gripe with this is that I could not eliminate the guy saying "hey" (as in calling out to see if anyone is left). Even dissecting the 5.1 track it still appeared on all tracks. I liked the sound effects used so I was kind of stuck and said f**k it that vocal will have to stay.

aspect ratio:
EVERYTHING is at a 1:85:1 ratio with the exception of the brief scene from zombie2, indy day and resident evil 2 and destroy all monsters. However the footage from indy and resident/DAM all occur together so it does not shoot back and forth. It still shows the 1:85:1 matte but gives you the letterbox in letterbox effect. Without really screwing up the picture this is all that I could do. When you mention the ratio shooting back and forth and being distracting it only happens twice and even then its for one 30 seconds segment and one roughly 2 min segment and during those the ratio stays the same.

I will give you that I summed up the ending a bit fast

Once again I mean no harsh words towards you and I do respect your review and opinion, but It really seems that you were not paying too much attention while watching the film. I kind of went out of my way to make sure everything you are seeing was being explained to you. Even though I may have summed up the ending a bit too fast, it is still thoroughly explained as it happens and pretty simple and straight to the point. It just happens quick and this is prob what might have thrown you off

OK I have not slept in 24 hours, so I am sure after I re-read this again when I feel a bit better and more awake I will be able to see what an asshole I have been. Ok goodnight

I watched it carefully, in the sense that I did pay attention to it.
tranzor said:
First, about the beginning:
the original red dawn film starts out the way my edit does. It gives you the narration and the film opens up at the school. It just shows a few moments really in the high school and then picks right up from there. Again the narration in the beginning sets things up more so.
Well, I guess I'd better avoid the original one then :smile:

tranzor said:
the end:
Right before the end of red dawn you see a shot of a missile with the biohazard symbol being launched. It is also stated that the said target is 134 miles away. When that first bomb hits this is followed up by narration I added telling you exactly what you just saw and the consequences from this attack (which was a limited missile attack with biological agents, NOTE that I DID NOT SAY NUCLEAR). I then stated what happened as a result of this and that in turn brings you to the new scenes. I then gave more narration stating what happened a few days later after this chemical attack (and thus the living dead return). When I use the day of the dead footage I added the subtitles of one month later. Its obvious to see that this epidemic is spreading all over the place but did not entirely take out the whole country. This cuts to the Independence Day footage and I used the NORAD entrance from wargames to show you where they are. This also opens with "lets nuc the bastards." This fit perfectly well and is not out of place. It shows the living dead over running and in turn It is showing what is left of the US gov and their plans to solve the issue. Remember it is stated in the film a few times that the whole US was not fully invaded and that the attack with the chemical agent only was aimed at areas ooccupied by invading forces. I then cut to the aftermath of this true nuc attack and the film ends.
You see, the problem is not that you wouldn't explain this stuff. The problem is that all that stuff comes way too fast, atleast for me, to dissolve it. I mean within like 10 minutes we get so much information boxes and scenes that have so much information, they come way too fast for me to properly understand what is going on.

tranzor said:
audio:
the audio from the day of the dead segment had to switch because I was taking clips from the end of the film and spliced them with the very beginning. SO when it fades from showing empty streets to a zombie eating someone that is the whole point of this scene. The music fades and returned with each scene. The audio was actually blended and not a true fade. More of a crossfade. The video effect used on this wass supposed to show a bit of flashback. Like currently the streets are empty and slowly filling with zombies. When it cuts to the zombie attack scenes that digital noise I added was meant to show this is why the street scene is looking the way it does. The zombies attacked people.
My real gripe with this is that I could not eliminate the guy saying "hey" (as in calling out to see if anyone is left). Even dissecting the 5.1 track it still appeared on all tracks. I liked the sound effects used so I was kind of stuck and said f**k it that vocal will have to stay.
You know, sometimes the point of a scene doesn't go hand-in-hand with the so-called entertainment value. I considered the constant shifting of the music very, very annoying. Yeah, sometimes crap like that happens, but I mean shit happens, you just need to roll with it so to speak. I didn't find it bothering.

tranzor said:
aspect ratio:
EVERYTHING is at a 1:85:1 ratio with the exception of the brief scene from zombie2, indy day and resident evil 2 and destroy all monsters. However the footage from indy and resident/DAM all occur together so it does not shoot back and forth. It still shows the 1:85:1 matte but gives you the letterbox in letterbox effect. Without really screwing up the picture this is all that I could do. When you mention the ratio shooting back and forth and being distracting it only happens twice and even then its for one 30 seconds segment and one roughly 2 min segment and during those the ratio stays the same.
Regardless of how small that part might be, it still does jump around at a point. It is enough for me to be bothered by.

tranzor said:
I will give you that I summed up the ending a bit fast
There's no need to "give me" anything, this is not a contest.

tranzor said:
Once again I mean no harsh words towards you and I do respect your review and opinion, but It really seems that you were not paying too much attention while watching the film. I kind of went out of my way to make sure everything you are seeing was being explained to you. Even though I may have summed up the ending a bit too fast, it is still thoroughly explained as it happens and pretty simple and straight to the point. It just happens quick and this is prob what might have thrown you off
As I explained earlier in this post, the speed of the ending is my problem. Everything happens too fast, blahblahblah, just read the stuff I already said :smile:

hihi, I watched it too and I did so with all necessary attention. I most of all agree to messenjah's review. RED DAWN is kind of lame and even fanedited, it still is. Still the trashy atmosphere can be kind of enjoyed, so I was entertained for that part. The biohazard missile attack made no sense to me. Occupation was, what was planned by the Russians. Taking back their homeland was what was planned by the US forces, not destroying it forever. My major problem with the ending is that it did IMO not fit to the movie that I have watched before, the atmosphere was totally different and spoiled the watching experience for me. Of course I know and own all the movies for this fanedit, so this might have been a somewhat distractive element, but I am used to watching fanedits, so I should be able to enjoy a collage of scenes, if it works. The written messages differ a lot from the ones of RED DAWN, which shows and is distracting. Zombies roaming the streets and eating people is surely disgusting, but left me very unimpressed, because my brain was not able to connect the plots. The THE DAY AFTER footage comes with the introduction of a new lead actor, who wasn't in the movie before, which would make sense for an episode kind of movie, but this wasn't one. The ending was artificial and also it wasn't too well edited IMO, because the cuts were clearly different from anything used in the movie before. So the result is a movie that does not work, because it mixes parts without taking enough care to unite them. When DAY OF THE DEAD footage started I found myself saying: "not the alligator, not the alligator", but there it was :), it did not fit to Day of the Dead and IMO it also did not fit here. I think a nuclear Strike would have been the best way to end this movie, if it had been introduced before. The main problem is that the audience (me) is unprepared for what happens next and this causes an artificial and cold felling, where actually being shocked is intended.
Sorry to say it, but it did not work for me. I like the idea a lot, but the fanedit is not one I would recommend.

once again thank you both for your opinions. Red dawn is a great film. The chemical attack was the point of trying to take some of the country back with miminal damage. This is why they did not use nuclear weapons and only did so towards the end when they noticed that the "zombie" plague" was spreading too fast. The chemical attack towards the end also signifies the ending of the first part of the film and the start of a new one. Sure you did not see the main character from the day after, but that does not matter it does not make a difference, you are seeing him now

I did try to make this pretty simple and straight to the point but it still seems that like "the dummying of america", I have to take you by the hand instead of letting people use their nogin for a little. The on screen narration I added tells you what you just saw and then tells you what you are about to see. I still do not really get why people are having an issue with this.

Perhaps if I changed some of the background music from indy day to make it a bit more grim it would have kept in better character with the film, or if i had some way of making the film sources look similar (as in the type of material that was used to make them). But again I still disagree with both of you (however I do understand your view points), but we will leave this one behind and move onto the next project which I think you will like much better.

I still do not really get why people are having an issue with this.
that must be the magic of filmmaking :)
If the people making movies would always knew what works, we would always watch great movies.
And I agree that you should have better adapted the sources, especially audiowise.
But again I still disagree with both of you
about what? I just stated my opinion. It can be totally different for anyone else watching it.

...and I think it is good that this project at least gets discussed. So many don't.

This is all true. I am also sure some reading this will not get the point that we are just stating our opinions and not "fighting".

The funny part about this is that I did copy this for a number of people by me. I was also asking for brutally honest opinions and everyone that did see it enjoyed the last part of the film and it made sense to them. I know everyone is not going to like everything you do, but I was more taken back by the comments about the end of the film as it was such a stark comparision to some of the other feedback I was getting. Ohh well

The one issue I also agree with you on and I truly did have second thoughts about: When viewing various stages of this edit I told D.E.C (the other guy who helped) that I could end this with a full scale nuclear war and it would still work just fine. In fact at one point I was going to go with this route and skip the living dead altogether. Techincally speaking I can still do this. At that time though the film was a bit more fun to play with throwing the living dead element into it.--

Back
Top Bottom