• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Inheritors - A TV film from the Outer Limits v2

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
VER 2
Type: True fan edit

What is this about: To combine the two part episode "The Inheritors" from the Outer limits tv series back into the TV movie it should have been

Original film name: The Outer limits, The Inheritors parts 1 and 2
Original date: 1964
Original runtime: 102mins
New runtime 86 mins

Plot Without spoiling too much: After being shot in the head, a soldier gains a genius i.q. and begins working fervently towards a mysterious scientific goal.

Cuts added/removed 12 mins had to be cut in order for this to work. I also had to alter the opening credit narration so it long no longer mentions the outer limits being only 1 hour. I also had to alter the title so it only says "the inheritors" without the "part 1" underneath it.
By removing some of the fluff we now have a much tighter, and faster paced version without sacrificing the classic merit from the show

*** I had to leave in one roughly 30 second recap that appears towards the middle for editing reasons

My thoughts: I always enjoyed the old 1960's Outer Limits Tv show. A somewhat competitor for the Twillight Zone, the Outer Limits differed in that each episode was roughly 50 mins and dealt mostly with Beings from outer space. Upon watching the Inheritors again (a while back), it proved that despite many saying the show was already on a downward spiral when this episode aired, that it still had much good left in it and reminds you of why it was praised to begin with.

other info I should mention that this also stars a young Robert Duvall.

closing If you want to watch a good, classic and original science fiction film from the old days when they knew how to make this type of genre properly, you will not be let down with this tv movie I present for you.

Editor Tranzor

Cover art is always welcome!

Tech 4:3 since this is what the original was shot in (full frame, tv ratio)
dvd format and ntsc. Static menu

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice project! I'm sure it'll be approved in short order. :)

I love the days of classic sci-fi time when you didn't need gore and harsh language to make it appeal to people. As I get older, I appreciate well written stories more than anything else. (doesn't hurt if it's pretty, too, but that should always be of secondary importance...George Lucas! :-x) I was always a bit different than other young kids, though. Even from the age of four or five, "The Day the Earth Stood Still" was one of my top favorite movies. Black and white, 1951? Four or five? Haha. And it was as much for the dialogue as it was the Gort scenes. I particularly liked it when Klaatu traded the gemstones for the kid's money and he says "she doesn't like me to steal from people." :smile: I just watched the new trailer and...meh.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I hope so.. That poor bastard who did the story book battlestar galactica has had his edit sitting in limbo here since June. I just recently dl'ed it the other day and will try to approve or disapprove of it asap

likewise with mine

Jack Tourette

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tranzor said:
I hope so.. That poor bastard who did the story book battlestar galactica has had his edit sitting in limbo here since June. I just recently dl'ed it the other day and will try to approve or disapprove of it asap

likewise with mine

I know what your mean. The higher officials barely ever come here anymore :(

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
it's not just "us" to do the approvals.
But I really wish I would have taken some firstlings with me on my vacation. I had way enough time to watch a bunch. And now busy business' got me back again.
So, please, audience, watch it and comment on it. It can't be that hard.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes, please don't expect the staff here to watch everything. This is not our jobs!! :x fanediting and running this site is our hobby. We all have lives. Work, some have school, families, etc. Please do not take this for granted. This can get frustrating.

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
We all have lives. Work, some have school, families, etc. Please do not take this for granted. This can get frustrating.
Whoa, now, fella. No one was trying to frustrate anyone else. I sometimes wonder how you guys find enough hours in the day to do what you already do! ;)

I just don't know the approval procedure. I figured it was maybe one or two guys that had to watch everything. If not, great, because that's way too much for a couple of people. So, if a bunch of us watch it and comment on various aspects, it can then sort of be approved by proxy, then? :p

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just noticed that the sticky topic has changed. I am in no rush, but would definitely not want an edit sitting in here for over a month. Can regular members still approve/disapprove and if so, wasn't there some sort of posting limit you had to reach in order to do so?

If not, I can easily shoot a copy over to Molasar

Ilubu

Reaction score
Trophy Points
tranzor said:
I just noticed that the sticky topic has changed. I am in no rush, but would definitely not want an edit sitting in here for over a month. Can regular members still approve/disapprove and if so, wasn't there some sort of posting limit you had to reach in order to do so?

If not, I can easily shoot a copy over to Molasar

i sure hope regular members can still approve, i know the concept of a official approver is nice but those of us who are even a lil bit paranoid dealing with people we dont know might not like that process (im talking about myself)

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
sorry to ask, but what else was done to this then what you mentioned in your info?
Because if just the 2 episodes were combined and the credits and intro left out and the narration in the beginning a bit cut, the changes are not significant enough to be a fanedit.
ADM's HELL AND HORROR IN HALLOWEEN was removed for exactly that reason.

for a true fanedit see the rules here: viewtopic.php?f=17&t=2285
for an extended edition see the rules here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2283

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I had to cut most of the footage beginning from the second episode (because it shows what happens towards the end of the first but from slightly different angle shots, so I kind of made a combo of what I liked from both) and some of the end from the first episode to make it jive with where I cut it into the second. I also had to insert a fade for one shot and remove a little more footage (2nd ep) as well as altering the audio slightly towards the end of the first. As far as credits go, the only ones removed were the end credits from the first and the opening ones from the second.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My feelings exactly boon.
It's great that I don't have to fast forward past the recap of the previous episode but as far as the actual show, it is pretty well intact.
Do we still have a "One-Cut" section? but even still i don't think this one would qualify anyways because he just cut the start of the second episode.
video and audio were good though.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well I can easily just tighten up the edit as a whole and reduce the running time down to 90 mins (or possibly less) making it fit in more with the old tv standard film running time and this would fix the "edit" problem and be more on par with what is wanted by the site-- fair enough?

Killbill
understood what is said, but I do wantto clarify that I did have to cut the end of the first ep as well, the 2nd ep had the greater amount of editing, but the first ep is not intact. The first ep ends where the 2nd ep would have started after a few minutes into it. They started the 2nd ep kind of recapping JUST the ending of the first but with different shots, not intact and then added more onto this. So I had to do some cutting and altering to make the two fit, but for arguements sake I can, just as mentioned tighten up the edit itself to make it fit more and not so much have it in the "grey area".

Will get onto that right now--

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
that would be cool. :)

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't think tightening up the edit would do it for me. that sounds like merely trimming stuff enough to be received as a fanedit.

What I would to see is the fulfillment of your intentions as stated on the release post: To combine the two part episode "The Inheritors" from the Outer limits tv series back into the movie it should have been. Tthis cut doesn't do that. it still feels like two episodes of tv back to back.

You can do what you please but here are some suggestions:
- Lose the show Opening. it immediately throws you into tv frame of mind. why can't this just be a movie called THE INHERITORS? i really like the music from the credits sequence, the one without the narrator, you can use that as your music bed. its creepy enough. create your own titles. and that s how your movie starts.

- the pre-opening tease then becomes the movie opening. its pretty low budget. I suppose the war is the Korean war, so harvest some korean war movie footage to open this up a bit and not make it so low budget: one guy wearing I-don't-know-what uniform running around some bushes. oh and get rid of the voice over narrator.

- also there is a lot of globe trotting, harvest some footage to open that up as well.

- Change the aspect ratio to 1:85:01. This is hard to do an labour intensive. but it really changes your episode into movie-land.

And so on. think outside the box. there are no limits. are there any other outer limit episodes that could be used here? or twilight zone?

What i think your aim should be is something like the original PLANET OF THE APES. It's a Twilight Zone episode. It's written like one, it ends like one but it's also a movie. No Rod Serling narration required.

But it really is all up to you. you could just chalk it up to training and move on.

This is either two episode of the outer limits or a movie called THE INHERITORS. So far all I've seen are the episodes.

Good luck.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Killbill
I like some of your ideas and If I was going to make this a true stand alone film some of them would come into play. However my intention was not to make this a stand alone film, as stated in my edit's title

"a film from the outer limits"

this also means a film made specifically for television and not theatrical. This is where our ideas differ and why I thought if the actual studio at the time was allowed the running time to do so, probably would have had this as one long episode or technically tv movie.

As such though I really do like some of your ideas,this is not the purpose of my edit. Also as described, combing the two seperate episodes back into the movie it should have been, and yes it was my fault in not stating "tv movie".

about losing the intro, I did think about removing this or altering it's place and then said to myself that " this is still a tv movie" or if you want to call it an extended episode for a show and for that reason it is staying where it is

the outer limits is a tv show and this a tv movie made from that show. My apology for not exactly being that clear in the description (which will be fixed once this is done)

The new version is coming along well and when you really have to, you can find scenes that are not going to be missed and do not hamper the intention of the plot or edit in any way

I do like the way this shorter cut is coming along so far

fan editing is about both truly making a film yours and in some other cases just removing what you do not like in order to achieve your goal. Since by site standards I did not cut enough out to begin with, this has led me to go back and really tighten it up a bit more. Once again my intention was just to put this all back together as the one tv film it should have been, not completely re-creating it

This edit as practice?? I don't think so

PS: For record's sake I can almost guarantee most people are thinking one particular scene with a fade is when one ep ended and the other began. Though it may look like that, that is not true and the fade was added by me for other reasons

Mollo

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Transor,

With all the uploading I have been doing of late, I could not download anything but I really want to see this. should I wait for a V.2?

Thank You

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This has suddenly become the hottest thread on the board. Haha.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Mollo said:
Transor,

With all the uploading I have been doing of late, I could not download anything but I really want to see this. should I wait for a V.2?

Thank You

that is completely your call. My original version I am keeping for myself and If enough was removed and I get the ok from Boone (total of 10 mins removed instead of the original 4), will start uploading v2 later tonight or tomorrow--

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
No worries tranzor, they're just suggestions.
Yeah I guess I did expect a movie since that is what you posted but that's ok.
Maybe in your revised details you can post what makes this version special/different/superior other than you've trimmed the time.
My thoughts: I always enjoyed the old 1960's Outer Limits Tv show. A somewhat competitor for the Twillight Zone, the Outer Limits differed in that each episode was roughly 50 mins and dealt mostly with Beings from outer space. Upon watching the Inheritors again (a while back), it proved that despite many saying the show was already on a downward spiral when this episode aired, that it still had much good left in it and reminds you of why it was praised to begin with.

other info I should mention that this also stars a young Robert Duvall.

closing If you want to watch a good, classic and original science fiction film from the old days when they knew how to make this type of genre properly, you will not be let down with this movie I present for you.
I get that this is a good show and good science fiction but why is you fanedit better than watching the original episodes?

Top Bottom