• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Inheritors - A TV film from the Outer Limits v2

Review of The Inheritors - A TV film from the Outer Limits v2 by Tranzor

The edit:
This TV film fanedit in b/w from the original OUTER LIMITS runs smoothly through the plot of the original 2 episodes. It is old, it feels old and looks old, but in that is also the charm of nostalgia, when things were way more naive and simple. I was mildly entertained and not too bored watching it. BUT I think it works better as 2 episodes than as a complete movie, because as that it is actually too long. The 2 episodes character enables the audience to take a break, find a new beginning and new excitement. Some things work better if split IMO.
The editing was well done, except for 2 things that I noticed. One fade goes with a score fade that felt artificial and the repeated scene of the brainwaves should have been removed as it was not just redundant, but simply did not belong into a movie.
Overall this is an acceptable fanedit. I have my difficulties calling it a true fanedit, because nothing of any importance was changed or altered, so the idea of tranzor was "just" to combine 2 episodes. The scenes he deleted did neither add nor take away from the story. So by removing them nothing was changed, jsut a bit condensed, which still did not make the movie feel faster paced. Creativity-wise there is actually nothing in it.
Still it gives the audience the chance to watch a nice story of Outer Limits again. A bit condensed, connected to one movie.
editing: 3 of 5 (would be 4, if more creativity was involved),
entertainment: 3 of 5

Image quality:
The image quality is about as in the original episodes. There is a blur in scenes of movement, but it is not the faneditor's fault.
video quality: 4 of 5

Audio quality:
The audio quality was good, except for one audio fade that could have been taken better care of.
audio: 4 of 5

presentation:
The DVD comes with a still main menu, which looks quite nice (good buttons). no chapter menus and an "about" menu. There is no cover art included. My personal judgement: not too bad and not too good.
presentation: 3 of 5

resulting in a 3 of 5 overall rating from me. For me as an owner of the original box set, this does not add anything, but some people might enjoy having these episodes combined to one movie.
This is hereby approved to FANEDIT.ORG.
18596830yi7.png

For that judgement you should be know as Solomon Boon.
Nice and welcome aboard tranzor. :)

Boon
a very fair and honest review. If you want this edit filed under another category please do so. I was not sure exactly where it would have fit in, so I went with true fan edit ( perhaps special edtion?)

Just curious about the fade (for spoiler reason just send me a PM). I had to add a few more so I am wondering which one it was that you did not like?

It is also good to know that I was not blind and thought I saw the slight problem with the movement. In fact when I saw this on the pc I slapped the disc back in to see sure enough thet is how the actual disc was mastered.

KillBill,
I do have 9 other edits (or edit related) that are listed on this site, though I am not sure if you would like any of them

I am glad to be back on board :)

I think I will really out do myself with my next project that I always had in mind since the time of my first edit on this site of "the last dawn". Actually it might be more of a "study" but if it goes as well as I have been planning it out in my head......

would you like me to review any of them?
which one is the one you're proudest of?

killbillme said:
would you like me to review any of them?
which one is the one you're proudest of?

Pick one. If you are going for true fan edits then choose from mad max, dawn of the dead 2004 or Tranzor's the thing.

Be warned now that "the thing" is also culturally biased for just older US viewers who can remember how local tv stations would play films in the early 70's to the mid 80's.

Very nice, Mollo, but that text is incredibly dark.

It would also be funnier if you put boon's quotes together. "Smooth excitement!" What?! :razz:

Mollo said:

WOW!! I love that cover art and I am always flattered when someone creates art for one of my edits. Hmm perhaps a softer white on the text, this way it would not be too bright and very readable. I just hope you like the edit itself

Contains Spoilers!

I watched Transor's TV Movie FanEdit and was entertained mostly because of the curiosity of the piece. There is a lot of talk in this Fanedit and I think that a few minutes more could have been cut here and there to speed up the narrative but nothing that would make too much of a difference.

I was struck by the different levels of performance given by the actors. Duvall seemed very wooden while the actor playing his assistant constantly chewed up the scenery. All of the other performances were very good.

I liked very much the idea that these "aliens" where completely open and honest, answering questions about their operations with a candid clarity. The sentimentally of the ending was a little too much for my taste.

The editing was pretty seamless but for a strange repeat of an earlier scene in the middle of the FanEdit. I know the editor has explained that it is the transition between episodes but I think maybe by using some of the same images, as they are presently cut but losing the repeated audio and replacing it with Duvall's lines from the next scene and then cut back to that new scene as he stands before the presentation board as states "Invasion!" would have made this transition less obvious.

I did not notice any problems with the audio and the image quality is good. The DVD has a static menu which is fine and easy to navigate.

A fun watch for those that want something a little different and I tip my hat to Tranzor for never going the conventional route.

Glad you like it Tranzor. The text is dark but as it is now published, I will leave it.

I have reviewed your FanEdit and rated it as 4/5. Thanks, enjoyed it and it was great to see an ever so young Duvall.

Hey Mollo,
thank you for your nice review. I really did not want to give spoilers but I can at least address this:

the small recap scene happens way into episode two. Why they choose to put this there is beyond me, but they did. The actual episode splice occurs when Duvall and a bunch of his men are setting up in the building right before Minns approaches and no it was not anything that has to do with a fade

I am glad you enjoyed this edit!!

very nice cover, kbm.

boon23 said:
very nice cover, kbm.
thanks boon23. it means a lot coming from you. the text is a little hard to read in the back so i will have to tweak a bit more.

WOW! Two very nice covers! Thank you both!

tranzor said:
WOW! Two very nice covers! Thank you both!
You're welcome. :smile: I too love the Outer Limits and just wanted to give your fanedit a cover that was more representative of the film.
I know someone had already done one but there is no reason why you can't have two and a disk surface image too.
is there anything you want changed?

I think it is fine the way it is, however if you do want to add the fanedit.org addy on it somewhere please do so--

Back
Top Bottom