• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Inheritors - A TV film from the Outer Limits v2

POST partially edited to remove spoiler info

edit is now 12 mins shorter

I loved the original but what makes mine better besides restoring it back to it's original form is that the edit is tighter and flows better. By removing redundant/uneeded scenes, the ball keeps rolling without losing anyone along the way. This way the edit no longer settles for scenes that are fully explained a minute or two later after they are shown. ***There was one 30 second recap that I did keep in.

What I cut out would not be missed and does not hamper the plot in anyway, just helps the film move along faster

I also did not strive to make it under a 90 min run time. I used womble and watched the film and took out what really was not needed.

I do not want list any more spoilers, shooting you a PM

version 2 is uploaded and the main post has been updated to refect all of the newer info--

thank you, tranzor.

This is how you get rid of that recap.
"there was no way those bullets could miss Liutenent Mince."
cut to
56:47 "Mr Secretary I'll be blunt about it. I think we've been invaded"
cover the cut with the shot of the 4 soldiers on the board found at 46.32. use it all to cover until 57:07 "I'm not pleading for your time"

Editing is not unlike sailing. Sure it's easy to sail when you have a good wind but only the best of sailors can sail with no wind.

ahhh too little too late, simple enough but did not come to me at the time I was re-editing this. I have no plans on a ver3 for a 30 second shot (at least it is a scene that does not ruin the edit) but thanks again for how I could have fixed that

FanEdit Review by Molasar

Title/FanEditor: The Inheritors â€" A TV Film from the Outer Limits v1 by tranzor

The Edit: The cuts are clean and they flow beautifully. As a TV film, it maintains the old fashioned look and feel of a production from the mid-60s -- the commercial fade outs, the melodramatic music, the opening and closing credits. As a TV movie it works. It does not play like two episodes put together, although the short recap mid-way through seems completely out of place and redundant. It is unnecessary. Other than that one instance, I think it's a great example of editing. ****/*****

Image Quality: The 4:3 picture is excellent. It's sharp and clean with deep blacks and bright whites. For a 44 year old show, it looked amazing on my display. It's billed as a TV movie so there is no deduction for its aspect ratio. *****/*****

Audio Quality: A well balanced aural experience. Crisp and clear with no hiss. *****/*****

The DVD: Static menu.

Overall Rating: A must for fans of The Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, or Sci-Fi in general. ****/***** (not an average)

Reviewed using Sony 51" 16x9 RPTV with Oppo DVD player upconverting to 1080i via DVI and Onkyo 650 Watt 5.1 surround sound.

Molasar said:
Overall Rating: A must for fans of The Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, or Sci-Fi in general.
Is this V1 or V2 that you are reviewing?
A lot of your review seem to refer to the original release: quality of image, the music, the fades.
Did you compare it to the original to know what are the original cuts and what is fanedited?
What I didn't get from your review is what makes this a good fanediting experience as oppose to watching the original episodes? Specially if you're not a fan.

although the short recap mid-way through seems completely out of place and redundant. It is unnecessary.
Doh!

keep up the good work.

Molasar,
thank you for the review of version 1. Looks like I will have to send you ver 2 unless you want to dl it off rapidshare?

and yes that short recap is still in there for ver 2 as well...

Bill came through with a simple but effective way of fixing it, but I am not going to go through a version 3 for a 30 second scene that does not kill the edit. I can live with this imperfection

tranzor said:
Bill came through with a simple but effective way of fixing it, but I am not going to go through a version 3 for a 30 second scene that does not kill the edit. I can live with this imperfection
Hey you don't have to tell me about all the work that's involved in making and uploading a dvd.
But here's the thing: Since you want to share this edit, it's not really about you. It becomes what people will tolerate.
Some will not care and still download.
Others will care that there are still issues. This edit has not been approved yet.
Also you will have to live with this edit for the rest of your life.
Your first fanedit.
What kind of message are you sending knowing that you could have fixed it and didn't?
Will you live to regret it?
Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow but soon and for the rest of your life.
Do it now.

I don't want to try and tell you what to do traznor, but I gotta say, I am siding with KBM on this one.

I could have released my Batman edit months ago, but I am totally glad I didn't now, even though it has meant an assload of extra work. And KBM decided to rework the image on his Frankenstein edit even though it meant making ME wait to see it :) Yours sounds like a relatively simple fix. I would take the extra time. There are few things worse than living with regret.

If you ask any of the top editors the number one rule of fanediting, I believe they will tell you the same three words:

Take

Your

Time.

Hold on here a second, Transor is a good FanEditor. His "Thing" FanEdit was great and his knowledge of movies is extensive. He knows what is needed to make a good FanEdit and this is not his first.

I am sure you are right Mollo. No disrespect intended whatsoever to you traznor. I assure you I am only trying to encourage. Sorry if it seems otherwise, but I promise I'm trying to be helpful. If my method is offensive I apologize.

Mollo said:
Hold on here a second, Transor is a good FanEditor. His "Thing" FanEdit was great and his knowledge of movies is extensive. He knows what is needed to make a good FanEdit and this is not his first.
So I am confused. what is this doing in firstlings?

tranzor's last fanedit was disapproved from FE, which put him back to needing a new approval.

killbillme said:
Molasar said:
Overall Rating: A must for fans of The Outer Limits, Twilight Zone, or Sci-Fi in general.
Is this V1 or V2 that you are reviewing?
A lot of your review seem to refer to the original release: quality of image, the music, the fades.
Did you compare it to the original to know what are the original cuts and what is fanedited?
What I didn't get from your review is what makes this a good fanediting experience as oppose to watching the original episodes? Specially if you're not a fan.

The review was based on version 1. I Netflixed the originals for comparison. Sorry if I was unclear. Based on the run time, it was obvious that not much was removed except the credits and some redundant pieces (recap notwithstanding). In the future I will endeavor to make a clear comparison between watching original episodes versus a fanedit of multiple episodes in movie format.

Sound okay to you boon23?

Tranzor, if I may, I would like to add the following to my review:

In order to get this approved (which apparaently my review will not allow), I suggest that you reformat it to 1.85:1 and remove the recap. If that's all that's holding it back, just do it. It works very well as is but if these two small chanbges things get you there, I say go for it.

yes, sounds ok to me, molasar.
v.2 needs a review for this to be approved.

Firstly where the heck was my email notifications?? I do not see anything in my mail box and decide to view the post to see that we are on page 2

Ok, lets go through this.

No way am I altering the ratio to match some overmatted madness. This is being offered as a tv movie with a tv ratio of full frame in mind and that is the way it is staying

about the recap: This site has a ton of edits where the editors might not have something as perfected as they had intended to but went with how it turned out and seemed fine with it. Being that all source material is not on the pc (again) and that it would take another 18 hours of uploading....

I have to look at it like this:

When viewing the scene does it really bother me? Do I cringe when it comes on? Does it kill the entire edit and ruin it? Honestly my answer to that is no. It does not do any of the things mentioned.

It is a recap mainly for those who did not see part 1 but also it was mostly intended to come across as Duvall thinking back in his head to when he was first introduced to this and putting it all together, though they did not pull that off too well.

I am leaving it as is and take my chances with that. It is not like I am trying to hide it as I do mention this in the edit's description.

I have noticed as far as my edits go that most will either like them or not like them and rarely do I have a middle ground. I also seem to notice I go for slightly more obscure titles than what most may care to watch

I really do not think this 30 second recap should keep it off the site especially with the nicer amount of edits that I did add to have it flow better. No edit is perfect

tranzor said:
Firstly where the heck was my email notifications?? I do not see anything in my mail box and decide to view the post to see that we are on page 2
I missed a few of them, too.
I also seem to notice I go for slightly more obscure titles than what most may care to watch
Obscure is good! I think an Outer Limits edit, especially of the original series, is pretty cool. I'll let you know how I liked it once I've watched it.

Back
Top Bottom