• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Incredible Shrinking Man: B+ Movie Edition

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Having some issues with tendinitis creep back so unable to spend as much time on the computer as I'd like to. Therefore, progress with current edits might be a bit slow.

Should be ok as long as I limit my activity this week. But just wanted to keep peeps informed.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A weeks rest and one massage later, "The Scribbling Man" is back in the editing room :cool:

The edit is now basically done. Just need to add custom titles and sort out the alternate audio track. In the meantime, here's a quick teaser I put together:
Unless I have second thoughts on scenes when checking through the render, the final product should have a total of 12 minutes cut from it's 78 minute runtime. Less than half as much as Creature From The Black Lagoon, but in many ways this was a lot more work!

Screenshot_2018_01_26_21_41_14.png

The random bits on the other two audio tracks are where I've separated parts of the narration to reintegrate later. I actually ended up keeping a lot more narration than I originally intended, partly because it was sometimes impossible to remove, and partly because I realised some of it added more than I thought.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great 'little!' teaser that... sone really nice transitions in there. glad to hear the B+ edit supremo is back to full fitness:) 

Perfect timing with the Uk release of Downsizing too!

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry this has taken so long, guys. Health and life have been painfully distracting. 

I took notes when I watched through my last render a while back, so I've applied changes based on those. Going to try and watch it through this evening and if all goes well, I can hopefully put a stamp on this and submit it to IFDB over the weekend.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's done. IT'S DONE. 

YAAAAYYYYYYYY. 

Working with mono is such a pain  :cry:

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok, so I've compressed the file as an MP4 and muxed in the 2 alternative audio streams, but it only seems to have half worked.

VLC recognises the 2 streams, but Windows Media Player is completely without sound. 

Any thoughts or tips regarding this?

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Does it work ok in vlc? also try media player classic.

I dont know whether windows media player supports multiple audio streams never really used it..

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It works fine on VLC, but then again most things do. I just wanted to make sure I'd done it properly. I'd obviously like to create as little hassle as possible for people watching the file. 

I'd be happy to go down the DVD authoring route, but I'm not entirely sure what the best way of converting Lagarith AVI to the appropriate video stream is. I'm assuming it's a bad idea to use Vegas and render it out as mpeg.

Edit: Works fine on Media Player Classic too.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Awesome. Just need the final poster and then I can submit to IFDB.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's that cover you wanted: :)
artboard-copy-1341.png

as well as disc art,
artboard-copy-136.png

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That looks awesome! Thank you, @"theryaney"     :)

Is the spiral derived from another picture, or is that your idea? I really like it! 

If you could do a poster version for the IFDB as well, that would be great - Then I'm all set! 

@"jswert123456"  thanks for taking the time to do yours also. I'll make sure it's included in the download as an alternative.  :)

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
That looks awesome! Thanks, @"theryaney"     :)

Is the spiral derived from another picture, or is that your idea? I really like it! 

If you could do a poster version for the IFDB as well, that would be great - Then I'm all set! 

@"jswert123456"  thanks for taking the time to do yours also. I'll make sure it's included in the download as an alternative.  :)

Glad you liked it. :)

It was from the official trailer back from 1957. So, I can't take credit for it. :p

I'm away from my computer now, but I will make a poster as soon as possible. ;)

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edit is uploaded and ready. Most of the details can be found below. I will submit this to IFDB as soon as theryaney finishes the poster :)

Title: The Incredible Shrinking Man: B+ Movie Edition

Tagline: It’s the incredible shrinking edit!

ORD: 1957
FRD: March 2018
FRT: 65
Time Cut: 13

Synopsis:

This is the second entry in the "B+ Movie Project", a series of edits that seek to improve on older films, while still maintaining the charm and narrative of the original cut.

#2 happens to be another Jack Arnold film, and similarly to Creature from the Black Lagoon, this has had a lot of chaff removed. I’ve tried to strike a balance between promptly setting things up and improving the pacing, while also maintaining some of the atmosphere in the latter half of the film, where the tone starts to become more philosophical.

This edit comes with two audio options:

• B+ Narrative (default) – heavily trimmed narration. Anything that I felt was too pretentious or didn’t add anything is removed and rescored.
  • Purist Narrative – lightly trimmed narration. The original voice-over has been preserved as much as possible, with some compromise being made due to the streamlined nature of the edit.

Intention:

My original intention going into this was to completely remove the narration and only keep the opening and closing V/O, but I soon realised that A:  This wasn’t really in line with the B+ Mission statement, and B: Some of the narration added a lot more than I thought.

After a suggestion from DigModiFicaTion, I decided to create two separate audio streams – one where I could be as liberal as I wanted, and with the other preserve the narration as much as the streamlined nature of the edit would allow.

Additional notes:

At the moment only an MP4 is available, but I am planning on bringing out a DVD, along with an alternative cut of the film.

Other sources:

- Fanedit.Org copyright warning template
- My own Scribbling Man Logo
- theryaney's Netflix-style fanedit.org logo

Special thanks

·        to Sinbad and DigModiFicaTion, for feedback
·        to DigModiFicaTion, for proposing the idea of having two alternate audio streams
·        to jswert123456 and theryaney for their cover designs

I can be a forgetful soul, so if I've missed anyone out please accept my apologies and thanks!

Cutlist:
The gist:

·        improved pacing
·        trimmed narration, removing some of the more pretentious and archaic lines
·        reduced bad shots/cuts as much as possible (particularly during the cat and spider sequences)
·        no scenes or dialogue have been removed (bar some narration), but many tiny trims have been made throughout, tightening up and polishing what I already believed to be a good film.

Full(ish) cutlist:

Practically no scene was left untouched, sometimes as little as a single frame being chopped off. I have not kept track of every single change I made, but I’ve listed as many of the more significant ones that I can remember.

·        added fan edit and scribbling man branding
·        added new “B+” title
·        trimmed opening shots
·        trimmed exposure to radiation
·        trimmed feeding the cat
·        trimmed Louise faffing around the kitchen
·        trimmed medical montage
·        removed all narration during medical montage (trimmed version restored in purist)
·        rescored medical montage (not in purist)
·        trimmed argument after Louise tries to get an unlisted line
·        removed long pause between Scott shouting “look at me!” And Louise crying
·        removed narration over scene following visit to the doctor’s office in which cure is applied (restored in purist)
·        trimmed narration when Scott runs away
·        heavily trimmed circus scene
·        trimmed scenic shots of cafe
·        trimmed Louise getting her keys
·        trimmed cat entering house
·        trimmed Scott moping
·        removed narration/contemplating suicide (not that he wouldn’t, but it’s very poorly done)
·        trimmed cat entrance
·        trimmed cat scratching around
·        trimmed Scots reaction time
·        trimmed Scott opening door
·        trimmed Scott backing away
·        trimmed Scott escaping from house
·        cut a few dodgy shots of the cat attacking Scott
·        swapped out shot of Scott getting hit by cat so that he immediately lands by the lamp
·        heavily trimmed cat hissing at Scott
·        trimmed Scott’s escape
·        altered fade transition slightly when Louise cries over bloodied garment
·        cut opening news dialogue, going straight to the headline
·        cut narration during Scott’s return to consciousness (restored in purist)
·        trimmed return to consciousness
·        trimmed escape from box
·        trimmed narration during Scott calling out to Louise from bottom of stairs (restored in purist)
·        trimmed water discovery
·        trimmed narration during Scott observing his surroundings (restored in purist)
·        smoothed transition to Scott’s brother
·        trimmed Scott exploring
·        trimmed mousetrap encounter
·        trimmed Scott discovering food
·        trimmed running towards box
·        trimmed spider entrance
·        trimmed climb up box
·        trimmed exploration on top of box
·        trimmed narration on top of box (trimmed version restored in purist)
·        swapped out shot of Scott walking across paint stick
·        trimmed walking across paint stick
·        trimmed paint stick coming unstuck
·        trimmed Scott nearly falling
·        trimmed Scott climbing up ledge
·        trimmed Scott exploring
·        trimmed bird scene
·        cut narration after Scott shakes the cage in frustration (restored in purist)
·        trimmed food gathering
·        trimmed spider chase
·        trimmed spider trying to get into Matchbox
·        trimmed water dripping
·        improved Scott’s response time to water dripping
·        trimmed Scott getting swept away in flood
·        trimmed Scott’s brother and Louise entering basement
·        trimmed Scott crying out to them (in the original film, the audio of him crying out is looped and Scott just alternately calls out to his brother and Louise. I trimmed this and moved the audio around so he calls his brother when he steps towards him and Louise when she steps towards him)
·        trimmed Scott’s brother discovering flood source
·        trimmed draining
·        trimmed Scott’s brother and Louise leaving
·        trimmed Scott’s return to consciousness
·        trimmed Scott running from spider
·        trimmed Scott running back to Matchbox
·        trimmed narration as Scott prepares for a second climb
·        trimmed second climb
·        trimmed hike across paint tin
·        trimmed Scott walking towards web
·        heavily trimmed Scott trying to get attention of spider
·        trimmed spider chase/battle
·        slightly sped up spider crawling towards Scott
·        removed less than impressive shots of spider
·        trimmed Scott getting his weapon back
·        trimmed Scott climbing out from under spider
·        trimmed Scott walking towards cake
·        trimmed narration as Scott approaches cake (restored in purist)
·        the ending is awesome, so is left practically untouched.

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorry for the delay, here's that poster you wanted: ;)
artboard-copy-1371.png

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theryaney said:
...here's that poster you wanted:  ;)

Thanks, man. You're a star :) 

Sorry for the delay...

No worries! We've all got our lives outside the forum (...except maybe @"MCP" ?)

theryaney

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Scribbling Man said:
(...except maybe @"MCP" ?)

Still, the mystery continues. :D

Hoping he doesn't come at me with screaming dolls.

Top Bottom