• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

The Hobbit

MackerelSkyLtd said:
It looks even more ridiculous when sped up to regular speed: [video=youtube_share;Z-JD1P6qn_s]

I thought it was cool in theater. I laughed. What's wrong with a little fun?

TMBTM said:
I thought it was cool in theater. I laughed. What's wrong with a little fun?
That's how I felt with the shield/skateboarding move down the stairs in TTT. Then I started to feel it was a bit much with Oliphant takedown in RotK. they just keep upping the ante and it has lost all of the fun for me and moved into gratuitous ridiculousness.

^ Agreed...

Leggy shield-surfing:Indy going under the truck::Leggy's gravity-defying hops:Indy's magical fridge ride.

(The oliphaunt takedown I'm cool with, because even the movie takes a breath to go "whoa, that was epic as all heck"; whereas the Super Mario jumps are just a few jumps to hit an orc, with no one watching.)

So it's better if he's doing it to show off? :-?

No, it's better if it's on the edge of believability (as the oliphaunt stunt was), rather than obviously impossible (jumping up from rocks in freefall). I got bored with The Raid: Redemption for similar reasons - yeah, the first few fights with those spectacular moves were cool, but after a while, the guys pummeling each other, hurting for a moment, than getting up and pummeling each other again again and again just got ridiculous.

But that moment is a small quibble. I was much more annoyed by Leggy's LED-blue eyes. ;)

I do like a little fun, TMBTM, and that's why I watch Frinks' Ridiculous edits.

To be honest, I never really liked Lego-less's antics in Two Towers or Return of the King, either...but I guess you could say that for me, this scene is a "bridge too far."

Improbable feats of strength or agility are welcome additions to most movies.

Impossible feats of strength or agility can make a decent movie bad.

The real question I'm left with now is: Edit into 1 movie or 2?

Don't think the core story is grand enough for even 2 films, yet I'm not sure it could be cut down to 3 hours without feeling like a montage.

I'd say see what the runtime is when you're done and if it's more than 3 1/2 hours try to find an appropriate breaking point somewhere near the middle.

I think it's going to have to be two movies. even if you cut out all of gandalfs extra stuff and all the action from 5 armies it's still going to be a 4 hour movie. You could do it in one, but it might be paced really weirdly.

The original 2-film breakpoint was...

That silhouette shot of Bard after they get out of the barrels / Bard's barge drifting through the Fog

I'd like to see somebody make that work.

TM2YC said:
The original 2-film breakpoint was...

That silhouette shot of Bard after they get out of the barrels / Bard's barge drifting through the Fog

I'd like to see somebody make that work.

I think you are right that a two parter could work with it split where you meet Bard, I especially think that would work as you have all the content with the dragon in one film rather than two! It also puts most of the journey to the mountain in the first film then as well.
On the other hand a 4 hour film or 4 1/2 hour film isn't so bad, extended RotK comes in at 2 hours without credits ( the pal version of course being 4% shorter on DVD), so that wouldn't be too bad. What could be done is have one film that covers two DVDs or BluRays that splits around the point with Bard and says insert disk two. Even if it is just a 720p mpeg4 file it could be 1 movie split at that point into 2 files.

New leak reveals the true villain of the Hobbit 3:
IMAG1791.jpg

lotrjw said:
that would work as you have all the content with the dragon in one film rather than two! It also puts most of the journey to the mountain in the first film then as well.

Yes that's what Guillermo del Toro thought.

lotrjw said:
What could be done is have one film that covers two DVDs or BluRays that splits around the point with Bard and says insert disk two

I was more interested in seeing how somebody could properly create a beginning and end of those Bard scenes. To get a glimpse how it would originally have been in the rough-cut. Featuring new closing music and end credits and then a new opening score and title sequence plus maybe a prologue. That kind of thing.

TM2YC said:
Yes that's what Guillermo del Toro thought.

I was more interested in seeing how somebody could properly create a beginning and end of those Bard scenes. To get a glimpse how it would originally have been in the rough-cut. Featuring new closing music and end credits and then a new opening score and title sequence plus maybe a prologue. That kind of thing.

Well I wouldn't know about closing music but the prologue with Thorin and Gandalf in Bree could work as an opener to the second of two parts just as it did in the second of Jackson's 3 parts. Of course you might want to cut it down a bit as some of that content isn't true to Tolkien, but the idea of them meeting in Bree was taken from the appendices of Lord of the Rings book, so it could work ok as it's part of the story that Tolkien envisioned.

i think another difficult art is getting the company from the end of auj to Beorns house withought making it feel like a new movie.

Lord_Elrond_St.Hubbins said:
i think another difficult art is getting the company from the end of auj to Beorns house withought making it feel like a new movie.

I have been considering the exact same problem for a Hobbit edit I'll probably never actually work on. I believe there is a convincing way to make this transition. You can find my concept below, it obviously will require some color correction, but otherwise I believe it works pretty well.

jerick said:
I have been considering the exact same problem for a Hobbit edit I'll probably never actually work on. I believe there is a convincing way to make this transition. You can find my concept below, it obviously will require some color correction, but otherwise I believe it works pretty well.

jerick that's a very interesting place to cut the film and I think would work quite seemlessly.

I've been flirting with the idea of making an edit of these films and I'm currently trying to make my mind up as to whether to turn them into three 2 hour films or two 2hr 45min films.

I also read Bard's silhouette is where they originally ended to end the first film kind makes sense to me just trying to think how best to make it work.

I need to point out that unless I'm wrong, and please correct me if I am, the third movie is not available to purchase in any format yet...meaning that edit was partially made from a pirated source.

Back
Top Bottom