• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Hobbit: the original two-film structure

addiesin said:
Galahaddulac said:
No i just wished i would know why my forum account doesnt work, if i try to log in in the IFDB...
 :) Would post a review immidiately.

Admin @"Q2" may be able to help.

I have contacted TV Frink about the matter. Thanks.

And TV Frink contacted Q2 lol.

This is an excellent edit. I haven't seen anything Hobbit related for years (save for Ed Sheeran), but I think I never really quite managed to properly enjoy the Hobbit trilogy. Some of the edits made it more bearable, but this is the first time I truly enjoyed watching this. One can tell you know your shit and you put a lot of love into it.

A few criticisms:
- The encode is okay, but could be better. If you get the chance, try doing an encode with x264 if you haven't done that, it has much better quality than the encoders integrated into most editing software.
- Would be nice to have a lossless audio option, in form of an optional PCM/FLAC track for example. Or DTS-HD MA if you have a way to encode it.
- The color correction seems mostly fine, but I think that overall the colors tend to look a tiny bit off, especially in faces. It's absolutely not a big problem and most people probably won't even notice, but if you wanted to improve it, you could try to do extra adjustments to the range of colors typically found in faces while leaving the rest intact so as not to compromise your vision. I believe the "professional" term for doing such selective adjustments is "qualifying", but I could be remembering wrong. The thing is, I believe professional color graders often do this to make faces look natural, so when you change the grade from what the color graders did, even if only to restore a more natural look, you also have to adjust the faces back to make them look good again. For example a lot of movies these days have those green blankets over them and they actually seem to do extra adjustments to the faces so they still look natural despite the green cast. So when you remove the green cast, you actually end up with a magenta tint in faces. In the case of your edit, I feel like the faces seemed a bit too desaturated at times, compared to the surroundings. I imagine that when they amped up the saturation in the production process, they had to avoid applying it to faces to the same degree otherwise the faces would have ended up unnaturally saturated.

Anyway, thanks for making this, it was great.

TomArrow said:
This is an excellent edit. I haven't seen anything Hobbit related for years (save for Ed Sheeran), but I think I never really quite managed to properly enjoy the Hobbit trilogy. Some of the edits made it more bearable, but this is the first time I truly enjoyed watching this. One can tell you know your shit and you put a lot of love into it.

A few criticisms:
- The encode is okay, but could be better. If you get the chance, try doing an encode with x264 if you haven't done that, it has much better quality than the encoders integrated into most editing software.
- Would be nice to have a lossless audio option, in form of an optional PCM/FLAC track for example. Or DTS-HD MA if you have a way to encode it.
- The color correction seems mostly fine, but I think that overall the colors tend to look a tiny bit off, especially in faces. It's absolutely not a big problem and most people probably won't even notice, but if you wanted to improve it, you could try to do extra adjustments to the range of colors typically found in faces while leaving the rest intact so as not to compromise your vision. I believe the "professional" term for doing such selective adjustments is "qualifying", but I could be remembering wrong. The thing is, I believe professional color graders often do this to make faces look natural, so when you change the grade from what the color graders did, even if only to restore a more natural look, you also have to adjust the faces back to make them look good again. For example a lot of movies these days have those green blankets over them and they actually seem to do extra adjustments to the faces so they still look natural despite the green cast. So when you remove the green cast, you actually end up with a magenta tint in faces. In the case of your edit, I feel like the faces seemed a bit too desaturated at times, compared to the surroundings. I imagine that when they amped up the saturation in the production process, they had to avoid applying it to faces to the same degree otherwise the faces would have ended up unnaturally saturated.

Hi! So glad to hear you enjoyed it! Thank you for the lovely comments!

To your feedback:
- This version is actually a x264 codec in an mp4 wrapper. :)
- I totally agree that a new audio export and a more in depth color correction would be great additions. In fact, I planned on doing those last year. Sadly, while I was redoing the color correction, There was a burglary at our home, and my pc and all my back-up drives were stolen. I did put a lot of the finished files on a server, but not the original files that I worked with. To do a color correction from the export would deteriorate the quality, and doing a lossless audio export based on the lossy export I have now would make little sense. :(

AdamDens said:
TomArrow said:

A few criticisms:

To your feedback:
- I totally agree that a new audio export and a more in depth color correction would be great additions. In fact, I planned on doing those last year. Sadly, while I was redoing the color correction, There was a burglary at our home, and my pc and all my back-up drives were stolen. I did put a lot of the finished files on a server, but not the original files that I worked with. To do a color correction from the export would deteriorate the quality, and doing a lossless audio export based on the lossy export I have now would make little sense. :(

Oh man sorry to hear that, that's a real bummer. Well then I'm just gonna be happy with what we got, it's hardly worth redoing all that work for such a minor detail and it's not like it's a major problem. :) Thanks again for creating this.

By the way, curious about your opinion, have you considered doing some kind of cut of Lord of the Rings too, to make it more in line with the books? I know some cuts like that already exist, but maybe you'd have your own perspective on it. I quite enjoyed the Red Book edits but they're a bit dated from a technical standpoint.

TomArrow said:
AdamDens said:
TomArrow said:

A few criticisms:

To your feedback:

Oh man sorry to hear that, that's a real bummer. Well then I'm just gonna be happy with what we got, it's hardly worth redoing all that work for such a minor detail and it's not like it's a major problem. :) Thanks again for creating this.

By the way, curious about your opinion, have you considered doing some kind of cut of Lord of the Rings too, to make it more in line with the books? I know some cuts like that already exist, but maybe you'd have your own perspective on it. I quite enjoyed the Red Book edits but they're a bit dated from a technical standpoint.
I personally would not touch LOTR, simply because I cannot really see how they can be improved as films. Certainly, there are little elements and changes that sometimes bug me as a fan of the books. But overall, I feel that the shot material was already edited brilliantly. While it would probably be fun to do, I cannot really think of any changes I would want to make that would improve the film as a film, and I feel the changes that they made, even though they diverge from the book, do make the same story work better as a film.

I might also be affected by seeing the lord of the rings in theaters as a young kid and them leaving a collosal impression. They are why I went to film school. It would feel sanctimonious to mess with it.

AdamDens said:
TomArrow said:
AdamDens said:
TomArrow said:

A few criticisms:

To your feedback:

I personally would not touch LOTR, simply because I cannot really see how they can be improved as films. Certainly, there are little elements and changes that sometimes bug me as a fan of the books. But overall, I feel that the shot material was already edited brilliantly. While it would probably be fun to do, I cannot really think of any changes I would want to make that would improve the film as a film, and I feel the changes that they made, even though they diverge from the book, do make the same story work better as a film.

I might also be affected by seeing the lord of the rings in theaters as a young kid and them leaving a collosal impression. They are why I went to film school. It would feel sanctimonious to mess with it.

Ah fair enough! :)

For all those interested, the films have finally been moved from the unreliable MEGA server to a personal DNS server. I have little experience with sharing files through this server, so I hope the new download link will continue to work indefinitely. In any case, the download should be a lot faster and smoother now, with more download options and less technical hassle. 

If you are interested, feel free to send me a message. The download file on fanedit.info has also been updated, but it might still take a few days for the website to update the listing. 

Kind regards!

Has this edit been totally removed from this site?  This thread is the only record I can find of it.  Also, heads up: it's misspelled on fanedit.info

mnkykungfu said:
Has this edit been totally removed from this site?  This thread is the only record I can find of it.  Also, heads up: it's misspelled on fanedit.info

I don't know, I can't find it myself either. I had requested an update of the page, because of the new mp4 version that is now available for download. Last I checked that update was pending. Now the entire listing has dissappeared, along with all the reviews I've gotten. I'll contact the website to see what went wrong...

AdamDens said:
mnkykungfu said:
Has this edit been totally removed from this site?

I don't know, I can't find it myself either. I had requested an update of the page, because of the new mp4 version that is now available for download. Last I checked that update was pending. Now the entire listing has dissappeared, along with all the reviews I've gotten. I'll contact the website to see what went wrong...

Thanks for pointing this out. We'll get it solved! And don't worry: the 16 reviews are intact.

@"AdamDens" , out of curiosity, what was your update? Only the file format?

@"TM2YC" , are you moderating AdamDens' Hobbit edit?

lapis molari said:
AdamDens said:
mnkykungfu said:

Thanks for pointing this out. We'll get it solved! And don't worry: the 16 reviews are intact.

Thank you for the swift reply! And yes, i used to have only a blu-ray file, but have added an mp4 file too.

Thank you for sorting this out!

AdamDens said:
lapis molari said:
AdamDens said:
mnkykungfu said:

Thank you for the swift reply! And yes, i used to have only a blu-ray file, but have added an mp4 file too.

Thank you for sorting this out!

It only took me 6 weeks to spot this post.. sorry :blush: . The ifdb listing is back up now. If you change anything, it automatically drops back into moderation. If I've not spotted a change, just send me a PM. Thanks.

Have you ever considered recreating the end credits so that they can be more in line with the fan-edits rather than the official releases? We all know that Steven Fry wasn't in "The Gathering of the Clouds."

Please editor, on behalf of all the people who do not speak English natively, I strongly ask if you can share the subtitles for your edition of the films. I would need in Spanish, but at least you could share the subtitles in English, I could try to translate them. in advance, thank you very much dear editor.

.. . I strongly ask if you can share the subtitles for your edition of the films. I would need in Spanish, but at least you could share the subtitles in English, I could try to translate them.

+1 (English for me). I watched this edit again with the kids and it remains the best version I've seen. It's just hard to follow the dialog at times.

Who will join me to make the subtitles? This is such an involved edit that it's not really a one-person job.

Thanks for making me aware of this, I've contacted fanedit.info to inquire about the listing disappearing, and I've sent you a PM.

Thanks for making me aware of this, I've contacted fanedit.info to inquire about the listing disappearing, and I've sent you a PM.
Hi! I was hoping to view your work as well and I'm running into the same issues. Thank you so much!

Back
Top Bottom