• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Hobbit: the original two-film structure

Original film name: An Unexpected Journey - The Desolation of Smaug - The Battle of the Five Armies
Film studio name: Wingnut Films - New Line Cinema - MGM
Film release date: 2012 - 2015
Original runtime: 532 minutes
Fan edit release date: July 2017
New runtime: 394 minutes (200 minutes & 194 minutes)

MAIN FEATURES:
- A high quality two-film edit
- A new shading/color correction inspired by The Lord of the Rings 
- A newly mixed 5.1 surround mix 
- Restructured plotlines, inspired by Tolkien lore 
- More than 40 minutes of extended and deleted footage reinserted 
- A tone more similar to that of The Lord of the Rings 

INTENTION:
My intention was threefold:
-To create a tonally consistent five part Middle-Earth saga by re-editing the The Hobbit films into the originally intended two-film structure. 

-To find the perfect sweet spot between being truthful to the source material, being consistent in tone with the The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and presenting two exciting and well-balanced films in their own right, each with their own arcs, that engage the audience from start to finish.
-To present these films without any compromise in quality. Hypothetically, someone who has never seen the films should at no point realize they are watching an edited version.

MOTIVATION:

It is hard for me to express the impact that Tolkien's work and Peter Jackson's adaptations have had on me. I was only seven when seeing The Fellowship of the Ring in theatre, and looking back, it was one of the most impactful events of my life so far. It led me to discover my passion for both English literature through the novels of Tolkien and filmmaking through the appendices included in the original extended editions. I was fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to both study English literature and attend film school afterwards, and my love of Middle-Earth was my greatest motivation and inspiration at every step of the way.

This brings me to the adaptations of The Hobbit. The motivation behind this edit is in no way a critique of the original trilogy. I do not claim that I've made a better version, or that anything was wrong with the original films. I admire them greatly. And yet, upon my many viewings of these films, more and more I have found the experience uneasy. I have always considered the book to have two clearly separated parts. The first shows Bilbo on many adventures, divided in chapters, through which he grows as a character and earns his place in the company. The second part shows an inward struggle of several characters, revealing the ambiguity of good and evil and the power of corruption. The adaptation was originally divided as such. There were supposed to be two films, but late in the production of the film, it was decided to restructure the project into three films. And while I appreciate the films as they exist, I have found that I cannot enjoy them fully anymore. While watching, I found that my mind kept reconsidering the two-film structure, kept noticing the leftover character arcs from the original two scripts. It went so far that I often started to pause the films, to grab a notebook and my copy of the novel and to make notes. I found myself often daydreaming about the structure of a possible two-film edit of the material presented. This curiosity, combined with my passion for everything Tolkien and my need for continuous exercise in editing, led me to committing to a project that would, in the end, take almost 2 years, in which I spend many a night editing, right until I noticed the sunrise outside my window.

A final part of my motivation to re-edit these films is because I often felt frustration with the public perception of these films. Too often I have talked to people who dismissed the films, because of certain scenes or characters or subplots. Often, I had to admit they made solid points, points I agreed with. But these films also include many heartfelt moments, incredible acting, and they were made with as much love and care as The Lord of the Rings. While I respect everyone's opinion, I hope that some will now discover the diamond in the rough.

MATERIAL:

-Video: Extended Editions' 1080p blu-ray
-Audio: Extended Editions' 5.1 Mix, The Hobbit Soundtrack on CD, several royalty free sound effects

CUT LIST:

Only 4 scenes have remained unchanged, and I have made close to a 1000 cuts, so a complete overview of specific cuts would be too difficult to list and explain. Instead, I have listed several of the big omissions and changes below.

!!!!!!!!!!SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!!!!!

Omissions:
- Frodo makes a cameo, but his dialogue with Bilbo has been deleted.
- Blunt The Knives has been deleted.
- The Warg Chase to Rivendell has been deleted.
- The Battle Scene in the Goblin Tunnels has been deleted.
- The Eagle Rescue, sadly, has been deleted. No matter how I edited it, this scene falls at the 2 hour mark, and so it always felt like the film ended, and then restarted again afterwards. It has been replaced with an entirely new sequence that drives the film forward.
- The Fili/Tauriel romance has been deleted.
- The Tauriel/Legolas plotline has been deleted. They make cameo appearances in both films.
- Alfrid is still in the film, but only as an opposite actor to The Master and Bard. His story arc has been deleted.
- The clash between Smaug and the company is deleted.
- Some scenes are shortened to keep up the pace.

Changes:

- All the dialogue in Black Speech has been resubtitled, and as such, rewritten. This allows for a deeper connection to Tolkien lore and a modification to the Dol Guldur storyline, to better fit the two-film structure.
- I have always felt that the opening 90 minutes of An Unexpected Journey are too slow. Every time the story picks up, we are presented with a scene that starts a new plotline and presents a new backstory, which slows the story down. And so, not only is the warg chase deleted, but the Azanulbizar flashback is moved to later in the film. This way the story speeds up considerably.
- Gandalf's inquiries into The Necromancer have been restructured and the timeline has been altered, so that he is captured at the end of the first film, at the same moment that the dwarves escape from the Dungeons of the Elven King. This way, the mystery of the Necromancer is a story arc entirely dealt with in the first film. 
-Gandalf visits the High Fells before meeting up with the dwarves in the mountains, which makes more sense geographically.
-Azog is first introduced by the Goblin King, who mentions him and sends him a message. Thorin's reaction is included, but the audience is left in the dark. This way, this sideplot has a different structure. While in the original films, all plotlines follow the same backstory-development-climax structure, now the Azog storyline is introduced as a mystery for the audience, which is later answered.
-A new sequence was created to bridge An unexpected Journey and The Desolation of Smaug. After the Company has exited the Goblin Tunnels, we cut to Azog receiving the Goblin King's message and hearing of the Company's escape. He decides to give chase. Cut to the campfire of the Company, where Thorin is looking out over the wilderness in a pensive mood, recollecting the words the Goblin King spoke about Azog. Balin explains his worries by telling the Company about the Battle for Azanulbizar. As he finishes, the Company hears orcish screams and the howling of a wolf, and we see Gandalf sighing, clearly tired of bad news. Cut to the warg riders crossing the Misty Mountains. While I am still sad I had to cut the eagles, I hope this sequence keeps the momentum by building on plotlines and deepening the characters.
-Even though the Carrock scene is deleted, a soundbite of Thorin saying 'I'm sorry I doubted you,' has been placed in the Barrel Escape, right behind him saying 'Well done, Master Baggins,'. This, together with Thorin's trust that Bilbo will save them, creates a more subtle end to the character arc of Bilbo earning his place within the Company. Furthermore, Bilbo's polite dismissive hand gesture for the recognition he has wanted throughout the film seems very much in character to me.

-The Laketown sequence is now one, uninterrupted sequence at the beginning of the second film. 
-The Dol Guldur scenes occur before Bilbo enters Erebor. This adds an exciting sequence in the beginning of the film that sets up the connection with The Lord of the Rings. Through the rewritten Black Speech subtitles, the fact that this is the beginning of The War of the Ring becomes more emphasized, not only in this scene, but in later scenes as well.
-Smaug takes center stage. From the moment Bilbo enters Erebor, a 30 minute sequence begins that focuses solely on the dragon and the destruction he brings, building up the tension until the attack on Laketown.

-The build-up to the Battle of the Five Armies is largely the same, although it cuts less back and forth between storylines, and stays within one place longer before cutting back to another location.
-The Battle of the Five Armies has largely been re-edited, to have a more serious tone in line with the War of the Ring as shown in The Lord of the Rings.
-The first part of the Battle is completely re-edited, using various shots from throughout the battle, and creating a new sequence with a different soundtrack. The elves do not jump over the dwarves, but instead fire volleys of arrows over them. Azog proves himself a strong commander by countering the now allied forces every step of the way. 
-When Azog attacks the city of Dale, we follow Bard as he looks for his children. He finds them (no troll included) and brings them to safety.

-The battle continues, and the forces of good clearly are losing. A scene from the Appendices, in which Bilbo plants the acorn, is restored to the film. The rigging over Bard's head has been digitally removed.
-The Battle of Ravenhill has largely been re-edited. It is shorter and denser, and more focused on the tragedy of the line of Durin. When Kili and Thorin run into the ruin, the bats arrive, which allows Legolas to travel to the ruin too. He leaves behind Tauriel. We see him grabbing a bat, which carries him away. No upside down action. We cut back to Kili, Thorin, Bilbo and Dwalin fighting. Bilbo is knocked out. Kili hears Thorin call out his name below in the ruin, and tries to get to him, but is killed by Bolg. Thorin is standing alone on the ice with a broken sword, but Legolas' arrows come to his aid. The tower on which Legolas stands is destroyed by a troll, and Legolas kills Bolg in its ruin. His gravity-defying run is cut out. On the ice, Thorin faces Azog.

RELEASE INFO:

File: MP4
Video: H264, 1080p, 10-15Mbps
Audio: AAC, 48kH, 640kbps
Link to Mega page: PM me.

SPECIAL THANKS:
A very special thanks to my girlfriend Billie, who endured my passionate gibberish, offered me advice, and supported me in this 2 year endeavor. 

Threads merged.  

The Fix/Mix forum is for approved editors.  As a new editor to this site you need to submit your edit for approval from the Academy before you can start a new thread in Fix/Mix.

Original film name: An Unexpected Journey - The Desolation of Smaug - The Battle of the Five Armies
Film studio name: Wingnut Films - New Line Cinema - MGM
Film release date: 2012 - 2015
Original runtime: 532 minutes
Fan edit release date: July 2017
New runtime: 394 minutes (200 minutes & 194 minutes)

MAIN FEATURES:
- A high quality two-film edit
- A new shading/color correction inspired by The Lord of the Rings 
- A newly mixed 5.1 surround mix 
- Restructured plotlines, inspired by Tolkien lore 
- More than 40 minutes of extended and deleted footage reinserted 
- A tone more similar to that of The Lord of the Rings 

INTENTION:
My intention was threefold:
-To create a tonally consistent five part Middle-Earth saga by re-editing the The Hobbit films into the originally intended two-film structure. 

-To find the perfect sweet spot between being truthful to the source material, being consistent in tone with the The Lord of the Rings trilogy, and presenting two exciting and well-balanced films in their own right, each with their own arcs, that engage the audience from start to finish.
-To present these films without any compromise in quality. Hypothetically, someone who has never seen the films should at no point realize they are watching an edited version.

MOTIVATION:

It is hard for me to express the impact that Tolkien's work and Peter Jackson's adaptations have had on me. I was only seven when seeing The Fellowship of the Ring in theatre, and looking back, it was one of the most impactful events of my life so far. It led me to discover my passion for both English literature through the novels of Tolkien and filmmaking through the appendices included in the original extended editions. I was fortunate enough to be given the opportunity to both study English literature and attend film school afterwards, and my love of Middle-Earth was my greatest motivation and inspiration at every step of the way.

This brings me to the adaptations of The Hobbit. The motivation behind this edit is in no way a critique of the original trilogy. I do not claim that I've made a better version, or that anything was wrong with the original films. I admire them greatly. And yet, upon my many viewings of these films, more and more I have found the experience uneasy. I have always considered the book to have two clearly separated parts. The first shows Bilbo on many adventures, divided in chapters, through which he grows as a character and earns his place in the company. The second part shows an inward struggle of several characters, revealing the ambiguity of good and evil and the power of corruption. The adaptation was originally divided as such. There were supposed to be two films, but late in the production of the film, it was decided to restructure the project into three films. And while I appreciate the films as they exist, I have found that I cannot enjoy them fully anymore. While watching, I found that my mind kept reconsidering the two-film structure, kept noticing the leftover character arcs from the original two scripts. It went so far that I often started to pause the films, to grab a notebook and my copy of the novel and to make notes. I found myself often daydreaming about the structure of a possible two-film edit of the material presented. This curiosity, combined with my passion for everything Tolkien and my need for continuous exercise in editing, led me to committing to a project that would, in the end, take almost 2 years, in which I spend many a night editing, right until I noticed the sunrise outside my window.

A final part of my motivation to re-edit these films is because I often felt frustration with the public perception of these films. Too often I have talked to people who dismissed the films, because of certain scenes or characters or subplots. Often, I had to admit they made solid points, points I agreed with. But these films also include many heartfelt moments, incredible acting, and they were made with as much love and care as The Lord of the Rings. While I respect everyone's opinion, I hope that some will now discover the diamond in the rough.

MATERIAL:

-Video: Extended Editions' 1080p blu-ray
-Audio: Extended Editions' 5.1 Mix, The Hobbit Soundtrack on CD, several royalty free sound effects

CUT LIST:

Only 4 scenes have remained unchanged, and I have made close to a 1000 cuts, so a complete overview of specific cuts would be too difficult to list and explain. Instead, I have listed several of the big omissions and changes below.

!!!!!!!!!!SPOILER WARNING!!!!!!!!!!

Omissions:
- Frodo makes a cameo, but his dialogue with Bilbo has been deleted.
- Blunt The Knives has been deleted.
- The Warg Chase to Rivendell has been deleted.
- The Battle Scene in the Goblin Tunnels has been deleted.
- The Eagle Rescue, sadly, has been deleted. No matter how I edited it, this scene falls at the 2 hour mark, and so it always felt like the film ended, and then restarted again afterwards. It has been replaced with an entirely new sequence that drives the film forward.
- The Fili/Tauriel romance has been deleted.
- The Tauriel/Legolas plotline has been deleted. They make cameo appearances in both films.
- Alfrid is still in the film, but only as an opposite actor to The Master and Bard. His story arc has been deleted.
- The clash between Smaug and the company is deleted.
- Some scenes are shortened to keep up the pace.

Changes:

- All the dialogue in Black Speech has been resubtitled, and as such, rewritten. This allows for a deeper connection to Tolkien lore and a modification to the Dol Guldur storyline, to better fit the two-film structure.
- I have always felt that the opening 90 minutes of An Unexpected Journey are too slow. Every time the story picks up, we are presented with a scene that starts a new plotline and presents a new backstory, which slows the story down. And so, not only is the warg chase deleted, but the Azanulbizar flashback is moved to later in the film. This way the story speeds up considerably.
- Gandalf's inquiries into The Necromancer have been restructured and the timeline has been altered, so that he is captured at the end of the first film, at the same moment that the dwarves escape from the Dungeons of the Elven King. This way, the mystery of the Necromancer is a story arc entirely dealt with in the first film. 
-Gandalf visits the High Fells before meeting up with the dwarves in the mountains, which makes more sense geographically.
-Azog is first introduced by the Goblin King, who mentions him and sends him a message. Thorin's reaction is included, but the audience is left in the dark. This way, this sideplot has a different structure. While in the original films, all plotlines follow the same backstory-development-climax structure, now the Azog storyline is introduced as a mystery for the audience, which is later answered.
-A new sequence was created to bridge An unexpected Journey and The Desolation of Smaug. After the Company has exited the Goblin Tunnels, we cut to Azog receiving the Goblin King's message and hearing of the Company's escape. He decides to give chase. Cut to the campfire of the Company, where Thorin is looking out over the wilderness in a pensive mood, recollecting the words the Goblin King spoke about Azog. Balin explains his worries by telling the Company about the Battle for Azanulbizar. As he finishes, the Company hears orcish screams and the howling of a wolf, and we see Gandalf sighing, clearly tired of bad news. Cut to the warg riders crossing the Misty Mountains. While I am still sad I had to cut the eagles, I hope this sequence keeps the momentum by building on plotlines and deepening the characters.
-Even though the Carrock scene is deleted, a soundbite of Thorin saying 'I'm sorry I doubted you,' has been placed in the Barrel Escape, right behind him saying 'Well done, Master Baggins,'. This, together with Thorin's trust that Bilbo will save them, creates a more subtle end to the character arc of Bilbo earning his place within the Company. Furthermore, Bilbo's polite dismissive hand gesture for the recognition he has wanted throughout the film seems very much in character to me.

-The Laketown sequence is now one, uninterrupted sequence at the beginning of the second film. 
-The Dol Guldur scenes occur before Bilbo enters Erebor. This adds an exciting sequence in the beginning of the film that sets up the connection with The Lord of the Rings. Through the rewritten Black Speech subtitles, the fact that this is the beginning of The War of the Ring becomes more emphasized, not only in this scene, but in later scenes as well.
-Smaug takes center stage. From the moment Bilbo enters Erebor, a 30 minute sequence begins that focuses solely on the dragon and the destruction he brings, building up the tension until the attack on Laketown.

-The build-up to the Battle of the Five Armies is largely the same, although it cuts less back and forth between storylines, and stays within one place longer before cutting back to another location.
-The Battle of the Five Armies has largely been re-edited, to have a more serious tone in line with the War of the Ring as shown in The Lord of the Rings.
-The first part of the Battle is completely re-edited, using various shots from throughout the battle, and creating a new sequence with a different soundtrack. The elves do not jump over the dwarves, but instead fire volleys of arrows over them. Azog proves himself a strong commander by countering the now allied forces every step of the way. 
-When Azog attacks the city of Dale, we follow Bard as he looks for his children. He finds them (no troll included) and brings them to safety.

-The battle continues, and the forces of good clearly are losing. A scene from the Appendices, in which Bilbo plants the acorn, is restored to the film. The rigging over Bard's head has been digitally removed.
-The Battle of Ravenhill has largely been re-edited. It is shorter and denser, and more focused on the tragedy of the line of Durin. When Kili and Thorin run into the ruin, the bats arrive, which allows Legolas to travel to the ruin too. He leaves behind Tauriel. We see him grabbing a bat, which carries him away. No upside down action. We cut back to Kili, Thorin, Bilbo and Dwalin fighting. Bilbo is knocked out. Kili hears Thorin call out his name below in the ruin, and tries to get to him, but is killed by Bolg. Thorin is standing alone on the ice with a broken sword, but Legolas' arrows come to his aid. The tower on which Legolas stands is destroyed by a troll, and Legolas kills Bolg in its ruin. His gravity-defying run is cut out. On the ice, Thorin faces Azog.

RELEASE INFO:

File: MP4
Video: H264, 1080p, 10-15Mbps
Audio: AAC, 48kH, 640kbps
Link to Mega page: PM me.

SPECIAL THANKS:
A very special thanks to my girlfriend Billie, who endured my passionate gibberish, offered me advice, and supported me in this 2 year endeavor. 

Neat idea. I do remember groaning out loud when Jackson announced The Hobbit was going from 2 films to 3.

A few questions:

How did you remove the original Black Speech subtitles? That's something I wished I could have done in my edit, but I had no way to do so.

If the flashback to the Battle of Azanulbizar happens before they meet Beorn, what did you do about the ponies in the background?

Just curious.

Threads merged yet again.  Stop making multiple threads for the same project.  The next time will result in an infraction.

Thread moved to Pending Approval, until this has been reviewed by the Academy. Thanks.

I got about halfway through Part1 reviewin this for the Academy. I've been very impressed with how well this edit has been done, with not a single sound edit being in any way audible (so far). Some really smart and well judged removals. A professional job.

However, as my viewing went on I kept noticing a strange doubled-up echoing sound at points. It wasn't all the time, so I kept thinking maybe I was imagining it? By the halfway point I decided to check the edit against the source and those echoes are not there. The clearest example I can point to is at 00.48.43 in Part1 when the troll says "Except the chicken" and the dialogue after that. There is a massive doubling up of the line but in the original movie the line is clear as day. My suspicion was that one or more of the surround tracks were out of alignment. So I dropped your Part1 mp4 into a Vegas timeline and that's exactly what I found:

(^ Click image to see fullsize version)

Zooming right in on the same "Except the chicken" portion, I've pointed to 3 places (in red) where the mis-alignment between the Front LR and the center channel is obvious. After a little experimentation I found that delaying the Center Channel by one frame (e.g. it starts a frame after the other tracks and ends a frame later) seemed to correct the problem. However, I suggest delving into this problem closer because the rear and LFE channels could also be out of alignment but that is harder to spot visually and to hear.

So unfortunately this edit is not approved yet. Fixing this could hopefully be as simple as adding 1 frame to start of the center channel. Re-rendering just the audio. Then muxing that new mix with your existing video render, with no need to go through the lengthy video rendering process again. Let me know when the sound problem is fixed and I'll be happy to watch a new version. Thanks.

I won't watch anymore of Part1, until a new fixed version is available because it's difficult to make judgements about the audio editing when I can already hear errors. I'll try Part2 and see if the same problem is there. Fingers crossed it is not. With this error fixed I think this will be one of the go-to Hobbit edits. Let me know if anything I've typed is unclear, or you want help fixing the problem.

Thread moved back to in-the-works for now.

TM2YC said:
I got about halfway through Part1 reviewin this for the Academy. I've been very impressed with how well this edit has been done, with not a single sound edit being in any way audible (so far). Some really smart and well judged removals. A professional job.

However, as my viewing went on I kept noticing a strange doubled-up echoing sound at points. It wasn't all the time, so I kept thinking maybe I was imagining it? By the halfway point I decided to check the edit against the source and those echoes are not there. The clearest example I can point to is at 00.48.43 in Part1 when the troll says "Except the chicken" and the dialogue after that. There is a massive doubling up of the line but in the original movie the line is clear as day. My suspicion was that one or more of the surround tracks were out of alignment. So I dropped your Part1 mp4 into a Vegas timeline and that's exactly what I found:

(^ Click image to see fullsize version)

Zooming right in on the same "Except the chicken" portion, I've pointed to 3 places (in red) where the mis-alignment between the Front LR and the center channel is obvious. After a little experimentation I found that delaying the Center Channel by one frame (e.g. it starts a frame after the other tracks and ends a frame later) seemed to correct the problem. However, I suggest delving into this problem closer because the rear and LFE channels could also be out of alignment but that is harder to spot visually and to hear.

So unfortunately this edit is not approved yet. Fixing this could hopefully be as simple as adding 1 frame to start of the center channel. Re-rendering just the audio. Then muxing that new mix with your existing video render, with no need to go through the lengthy video rendering process again. Let me know when the sound problem is fixed and I'll be happy to watch a new version. Thanks.

I won't watch anymore of Part1, until a new fixed version is available because it's difficult to make judgements about the audio editing when I can already hear errors. I'll try Part2 and see if the same problem is there. Fingers crossed it is not. With this error fixed I think this will be one of the go-to Hobbit edits. Let me know if anything I've typed is unclear, or you want help fixing the problem.

Thread moved back to in-the-works for now.
Thank you so much for the feedback! I cannot believe this slipped in there, i checked the timecode continuously! But you are right, i can hear the echo too in the final file. 

Please, do not watch part 2 yet, since i created a new subplot with changed subtitles that should be seen chronologically. I will take the time this weekend to check both part 1 and part 2, and let you know as soon as the new version is online!

Thank you again for the feedback, and my apologies for the inconvenience. Your compliments on the edit so far have made my day though, so thank you!

^ Not everybody takes constructive feedback... constructively ;). So thanks for having such a positive attitude. I'll hold off from watching Part2 as you suggest.

I've finished watching the first part 'The Gathering of the Clouds' and now the misaligned surround channel issue has been fixed, the edit is easily approved.

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

The entire 3-hours is flawlessly edited in both video, audio and music. Some very smart and creative edits have been done to rearrange the story in different and better ways. I don't want to give away any spoilers, so I'll just say that the clever way scenes (from hours apart) were cut together to create a smooth new join between the end of AUJ and DOS was inspired. Then a new satisfactorily epic ending for this first part was wisely chosen. I've watched more than my share of Hobbit edits  :D and I've never seen the "Original two film-structure" concept executed better. For the most part, the choices about what to remove and what to retain were in line with my own tastes (As long as there is no "Blunt the knives" song, any Hobbit edit is a winner in my book ;)).

I'll watch the second part soon (because I want to) but you don't need my approval for it, release it when you want. 3-hours of perfect fanediting is evidence enough :) . Thread moved.

I'm excited to see this! I haven't found a Hobbit edit I've been happy with yet.

TM2YC said:
I've finished watching the first part 'The Gathering of the Clouds' and now the misaligned surround channel issue has been fixed, the edit is easily approved.

14514010924_d2f40d31b9_o.jpg

The entire 3-hours is flawlessly edited in both video, audio and music. Some very smart and creative edits have been done to rearrange the story in different and better ways. I don't want to give away any spoilers, so I'll just say that the clever way scenes (from hours apart) were cut together to create a smooth new join between the end of AUJ and DOS was inspired. Then a new satisfactorily epic ending for this first part was wisely chosen. I've watched more than my share of Hobbit edits  :D and I've never seen the "Original two film-structure" concept executed better. For the most part, the choices about what to remove and what to retain were in line with my own tastes (As long as there is no "Blunt the knives" song, any Hobbit edit is a winner in my book ;)).

I'll watch the second part soon (because I want to) but you don't need my approval for it, release it when you want. 3-hours of perfect fanediting is evidence enough :) . Thread moved.

Thank you so much!

AdamDens said:
Thank you so much!
Wow, after such high praise from TM2YC I'm looking forward to this! Throw me some links when it's ready please?

Gorgeous! Watched the first part last night. This is exemplary storytelling in movie form! The opening exposition (yes, it's still quite long) makes me feel like a kid again having the Hobbit read to me at bed-time. Delightful!

Though if I had seen this as a kid the spiders in Mirkwood, and the painful visualization of battle, would have given me nightmares!

Here's an idea for covers. :) 
Hobbit,%20the%20-%202-part,%201%20The%20Gathering%20of%20the%20Clouds%20(edit%20D).jpg

Hobbit,%20the%20-%202-part,%202%20There%20and%20Back%20Again%20(edit%20D).jpg

Really looking forward to watching this. The trailer gave me goosebumps. I've always wanted an edit of these films that had a tone similar to the original LOTR trilogy so I hope this is the one that finally does that.

Just finished Part 1! Very well done! The editing was flawless (at least to my eyes and ears) and I really appreciated the re-purposing of scenes. I became nervous as I approached the end of the edit as I was unsure how you were going to finish the movie, but you made it work well!

Off the top of my head, I do have a couple critiques. First of all, while I loved how you moved the scene of Thorin and Azog's backstory later in the film, it's a shame that their ponies are suddenly back with them. They lose them after their run-in with the trolls, get them back for that quick scene, and then head over to Beorn's to receive more ponies! But I suppose fixing this would be quite the task and maybe it's not even noticeable for those who aren't watching as attentively as I was. Also, I appreciate what other editors have done by shortening a few scenes that come off as cheesy and over the top, such as when Bilbo and the dwarves fall into the Goblin caves and the barrel chase. 

That being said, I am very much looking forward to watching Part 2! I hesitate a little, since, in my mind, that's where the movie(s) start to fall apart, but based on your work with Part 1 I have reason to believe I might enjoy myself! 

Again, well done!

Apnt3006 said:
Just finished Part 1! Very well done! The editing was flawless (at least to my eyes and ears) and I really appreciated the re-purposing of scenes. I became nervous as I approached the end of the edit as I was unsure how you were going to finish the movie, but you made it work well!

Off the top of my head, I do have a couple critiques. First of all, while I loved how you moved the scene of Thorin and Azog's backstory later in the film, it's a shame that their ponies are suddenly back with them. They lose them after their run-in with the trolls, get them back for that quick scene, and then head over to Beorn's to receive more ponies! But I suppose fixing this would be quite the task and maybe it's not even noticeable for those who aren't watching as attentively as I was. Also, I appreciate what other editors have done by shortening a few scenes that come off as cheesy and over the top, such as when Bilbo and the dwarves fall into the Goblin caves and the barrel chase. 

That being said, I am very much looking forward to watching Part 2! I hesitate a little, since, in my mind, that's where the movie(s) start to fall apart, but based on your work with Part 1 I have reason to believe I might enjoy myself! 

Again, well done!

Thank you for your kind words! The ponies were indeed to hard to edit out, sadly. While I have done some removals of wiring in the background for part 2, editing out ponies is a little too tricky for me. Interestingly, the fall in the goblin cave is several shots shorter, and the barrel chase too is 2 minutes shorter than the original scene, because I too thought the original went a little overboard. I guess how much needs trimming is up to individual taste. ;)

Back
Top Bottom