• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Edits

A short while ago I watched this and left a glowing review.
I like it so much that I keep returning to its scenes which gave me a couple of cut ideas I wanted to write down somewhere:

The third episode could start with the "Azog on Weathertop" scene, where he says he wants to avenge the Goblin King and sends out wargs. Then proceed as is. That would offer a nice transition from the second episode which ended with an escape to this one that starts with a chase, as well as offer setup for the final fight.

The third episode could end as the Bard is narrating the prophecy and the camera pans over a bridge to a sunset. A perfect shot for a fade to black and "to be continued". Fourth then starts with the weapon heist, capture, and boat sendoff.

The fifth episode could start with Bolg at Gundabad shouting "For the Goblin King" and sending the orc army to the tunnels. Then a shot of tunnels near the Lonely Mountain, and then continue as is. That would set up their arrival as well as offer orcs consistency with the proposed third episode.

Lastly, as I wrote in my review, for the arrival of the eagles, Thorin's look and posture are too different from the shot before. I feel like it would be better if the eagles arrived at the start of the Thorin/Azog fight so we have concurrent story stakes. Something like: Azog smirk -> Azog's army -> Azog looks up surprised -> Eagles over Thorin -> Eagle&Beorn battle scenes -> Thorin/Azog fight.

EDIT: if you leave the eagles after the fight, then just don't show the eagles over Thorin (Bilbo already announces them) and instead show them and Beorn fighting when Thorin is looking over the cliff (between his first closeup and the top-down view).

Note that I am not an editor, just a fan and this is not a critique of this great edit.

Last edited:
, for the arrival of the eagles,

I think your idea on the order of scenes and arrival of eagles would be good, if the Thorin-Azog fight would be cut differently as well. But as it is, I like this version where eagles arrive after Azog is dead better. The fight feels more heroic when it seems Thorin's (and the good guys') only hope for victory is Thorin killing Azog (and Thorin's appearance in the shot doesn't bother me)

I think your idea on the order of scenes and arrival of eagles would be good, if the Thorin-Azog fight would be cut differently as well. But as it is, I like this version where eagles arrive after Azog is dead better. The fight feels more heroic when it seems Thorin's (and the good guys') only hope for victory is Thorin killing Azog (and Thorin's appearance in the shot doesn't bother me)

I would disagree because, with the arrival of Bolg and the second army, the Azog fight turns into an act of desperation and we already had desperate moments when the orcs first pushed everyone back. Knowing the army fights simultaneously and with the same chances as Thorin creates a story parallel where both outcomes depend on each other. Only when Thorin surveys the battlefield do we know the day is won.

Of course, the only way to feel this out would be to edit it myself and learn through it. Thanks for the feedback.

I would disagree because, with the arrival of Bolg and the second army, the Azog fight turns into an act of desperation and we already had desperate moments when the orcs first pushed everyone back. Knowing the army fights simultaneously and with the same chances as Thorin creates a story parallel where both outcomes depend on each other. Only when Thorin surveys the battlefield do we know the day is won.

Of course, the only way to feel this out would be to edit it myself and learn through it. Thanks for the feedback.
I'm a big fan (obviously) of JPePe's approach with the Eagles because the Eagles remove basically all of the tension for the battle (for me, anyway). Not only are they incredibly OP and could win the fight essentially single-handedly, but they fly over the heads of the King Under the Mountain fighting for his life against the big bad Orc commander and just.... keep going?

Having them show up AFTER the 1v1 is over makes the 1v1 mean something; Thorin had no idea he was about to receive a deus ex machina.

I'd also be curious to see your approach though, if you ever make it!

These things are largely subjective. I have the same "issue" with The Eagles as Bones describes.

But i'd still like to see how your take on it would look, if you have the desire to make your own edit of it.

(iMovie included with os x can make passable edits, ive done some myself, but for Pro quality youd need something more sophisticated. Getting the audio right is the tricky Part).

I'm a big fan (obviously) of JPePe's approach with the Eagles because the Eagles remove basically all of the tension for the battle (for me, anyway). Not only are they incredibly OP and could win the fight essentially single-handedly, but they fly over the heads of the King Under the Mountain fighting for his life against the big bad Orc commander and just.... keep going?

Having them show up AFTER the 1v1 is over makes the 1v1 mean something; Thorin had no idea he was about to receive a deus ex machina.

I'd also be curious to see your approach though, if you ever make it!

I did this for my edit, because I agree. The eagles showing up too late is far less infuriating. It also makes them less OP.

The eagles (and the bear, i also made a cut without the bear though) are basically performing clean up because the orcs are leaderless.

That's the great thing about Hobbit edits, though: there's something for everyone! I can understand people want to keep the original eagles reveal. It's dramatic, but I agree that it makes zero sense for Thorin to still have to die afterwards and kind of makes his death.. extremely avoidable.

Azog is extremely lucky not getting killed by the eagles twice lol.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom