• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

THE HOBBIT: Pt1 The Quest for Erebor: Pt 2 An Adventure's End

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
[font=Calibri,sans-serif][size=medium]Hi all

Does anyone want yet another Hobbit Edit?
[/font][/size]
[font=Calibri,sans-serif][size=medium]I started by stripping back to the book and re arranging some stuff including removing the prologue completely (not the first person to do that). But I hadn't at that point watched anyone else edit.  I ended up with 3 versions, the Book edit, the Flio edit and the Tolkien edit running 3hr, 3.5rs and 5 hours respectively.
I then took my preferred 5 hr and chopped in two respecting the original break point the GdT has spoken of.
This was unusual since normally I start long, and trim back (like Alien C Ext trimmed to Alien V)...But on the Hobbit I found I wanted a lot of character beats and I wanted a prequel to LOTR, so I added stuff back!
Initially I wanted NO foreshadowing of the Ring, as in the book. That is my Bookedit.
But I wanted it, so I added what we know from the appendices. That is the Folio Edit.
But I wanted more character beats, That is the Tolkien Edit that forms the basis of the Two movie versions, my preferred.
I also did a 2h 20 min version, to see if it could be hacked back to a single movie...and it can, but it is tough and plays like a studio suit took a hatchet to it. I also have a 5hr file containing all the deleted material. IT IS SO UNWATCHABLE. ITS THE CONCENTRATED DETRITUS and padding that plagues those 3 films.
But its is interesting in its own right.
I then did a triple comparison of all 3 versions on screen synched ...I do those for myself for most of my edits coz in later years I will forget. And then of course, the detailed cultist in word.doc. Happy to share any and all of it.
Mine are in 2 x 6 BLU ray sets with cover art, the lot.
So shall we post a trailer or two or three?
I then watched a few of the edits out there last year. There are some which are very good. I did a lot of micro edits that clean up character and performance. Mine do have non book elements, but none that are inconsistent with the books or the narrative. There are so many tweaks that Im happy to share the cut list upfront since it doesn't spoil anything coz there is so much going on that your memory wont retain it, so you can still watch cold.
Below is the very high level cut list..VERY HIGH LEVEL since there are 1500 changes overall (fully listed).
My question, release or not?
Let me know.
Thanks
W
- All characters are significantly more serious throughout
- There are no children in these edits
- Azog is not under the orders of Sauron/Necromancer except in the TOLKIEN edit
- Radaghast is removed in the FOLIO and BOOK edits, and retained but made more serious in the tOLKIEN edit.
- The White Council scene in Rivendell is reworked for the 3 edits in different ways, with no forshadowing in the FOLIO edit.
LOTR Continutuity error of Sauraon with/without a ring, corrected.
- Rock Giants are removed.
- Goblin tunnels are heavily re worked, but most of Gollum's scenes are retained, except for the FOLIO edit, where the Goblin tunnels sequence is split and about a minute of Gollum is deleted.

Pine cones GONE (yes it is in the book, but the CGI is questionable and its too dramatic a sequence for the middle of film one and my edits de-emphasizes Azog significantly.
- All of Bilbo's struggling with how the Ring is changing him is removed except in the TOLKIEN edit where a small portion is retained.
- Tauriel briefly appears on screen twice and is just another elf.
- Legolas appears twice, and though named, is also just another elf.
- The Barrel sequence is significantly re-worked removing the orcs COMPLETELY (based on Spence's edit)
- Bard's family is completely removed as are the references to the prophecy.
- Alfrid only appears in one shot, has no lines of dialogue.
- The mayor of laketown only appears twice, with minimal lines of dialogue to further the story.
- Dol Goldur is de-emphasised.
- The Dwarves motlen gold fight with Smaug is completely removed.
- Smaug's attack on Lake Town removed Bard's son.
- significant re structuring of the Battle of the Five Armies
- "Misty Mountains" theme re-instated when Thorin rallies the army (again based on Spence's edit).
- The film features a new ending and opening and a number of new flashback sequences throughout the first half
- A number of significant re-scorings inserted
- The films are fully color corrected throughout.
- Many micro trims for words and gestures
- Worms are gone
- Two part version has same stylistic openings as the LOTR trilogy in form of pre-title sequences that draw you in
NO SHOT WAS LEFT UNTOUCHED
[/font][/size]

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TRAILERS COMING.
Features Xmas...

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I realize this may seem like Groundhog Day, but my edit (made cold quite a few years back) contains 100s of micro edits of dialogue apart from making very similar choices to other edits I have subsequently viewed. It additionally removes contemporary idiom too with many unique elements including new flashbacks and more. I would implore those of you that have not quite seen the perfect version, to entertain these versions. I believe you will not be disappointed.
FULL cut list / changes available.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You could share clips of what you’re referring to to entice us maybe? And also your first post is a little messy with the formatting stuff, you might want to make it easier to read?

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dyslexia has it's downsides....I try. Apols.

Happy to show clips, my only issue is they are also spoilers....and the joy of the reveal would be dampened. I'll pull together a montage....maybe. Alternatively, PM me and I'll send you the full 1500 cut n changes list....there so much there, that it almost can't spoil coz it can't all be retained in the head.

The odd thing is when I made this it was near fully formed in my head before I began editing. In fact, while watching them in the cinema, my mind was editing LIVE! Go figure. I spent months planning it and as soon as the DVD landed I began the rough cuts knowing blu Rays would follow....even then it took more than 3 years, but I hear you. The only reason I'm finally making it available is nagging by some previewers ....

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wraith said:
Dyslexia has it's downsides....I try. Apols.

Happy to show clips, my only issue is they are also spoilers....and the joy of the reveal would be dampened. I'll pull together a montage....maybe. Alternatively, PM me and I'll send you the full 1500 cut n changes list....there so much there, that it almost can't spoil coz it can't all be retained in the head.

The odd thing is when I made this it was near fully formed in my head before I began editing. In fact, while watching them in the cinema, my mind was editing LIVE! Go figure. I spent months planning it and as soon as the DVD landed I began the rough cuts knowing blu Rays would follow....even then it took more than 3 years, but I hear you. The only reason I'm finally making it available is nagging by some previewers ....

No need to apologize, I’m only bringing suggestions :)

I hear you about spoilers but the thing with sharing clips though is that we’d be more interested in checking the edit out and also we’d be able to give feedback and help you with the cuts and transitions as well.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm happy to share sine its been completed for near on 4 years and took almost the same to make. PM me.
First trailer should be up soon. There are 3 in total, the third being the ACUTAL trailer, the first two are trailers explaining what has gone or is changed.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"Wraith" just to confirm, you have not submitted this to IFDb correct?  Do you plan to?

I've moved this to In-The-Works for now.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I will submit this week-end. First teaser will be up probably tonight

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sorting the private issue...copyright claim on the music, which list the wrong tracks. Silly. Fair use and all that.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Try these
Teaser 1

Teaser2

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The final FULL TRAILER, not deleted material as previous two.

Enjoy

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is excellent, full throttle editing. You've done an awesome job of making the narrative stay on a quick pace. There are a few quick cuts that seem abrupt and audio drops but the narrative is excellent. You chose to retain a few things that most editors cut while trimming the fat in other areas that others didn't. I'm curious about a few of those things. I will send more details and timestamps in a pm as promised. Thanks for the preview.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks for that. It is really appreciated. And since ALL of the version you saw is in the two parter, those comments will need to be applied to all 5 edits...but that's fine. 

I Appreciate the effort!
W

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm interested into your "curious" comment. Happy to share thought process or answer any Qs.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just posted a review of this edit and I was disappointed to find my review was the first. Don’t sleep on this edit. As I say in my review it’s still not nearly as good as LotR but it is now a worthy prequel. I personally feel Jackson was conflicted between making a LotR prequel vs sticking closer to the more child-like tone of the book. In my opinion the parts that lean heavier into prequel territory work best. So unless you simply must have a book cut, it’s hard to imagine there being a better Hobbit edit.

eldusto84

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi there Wraith, just saw your edit made it IFDB. Haven't watched it yet but I noticed the artwork. I should say that I'm partially flattered, but also a little disappointed that you lifted my box art design (from JRR Tolkien's the Hobbit, aka the Maple Films edit) and patched your name over it.

I know I have no claim over the material, as we are all working off copyrighted content. But I spent a lot of time designing that box art and wish you had reached out or at least credited me in some manner. There's also the real chance that people may be confused by the similarities between our covers, and think they are checking out one when they mean to check out the other.

Top Bottom