• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Hobbit: Part 1 by samspider3

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yea 3 hours is totally manageable as a single edit I think

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Actually yes. I felt that the fan edit was going to feel, not only too loaded, but also too choppy on some of the cuts I wanted to show. Doing this will allow me make a more complete and sattisfactory experience, not only fo me, but for everyone :).

hasmak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
samspider3 said:
Well this project began because, as I said, i don't think the Hobbit should be a trilogy at all. So with my edit, we can see the story as fluid as we can get it while leaving the best parts of the trilogy.

Now, the riddles game. I cut it because i feel in the book works just fine because Gollum's character was not entirely defined, but having watched LOTR, it seems like Gollum would not do something like a Riddles game. He would attack everyone and even kill them if he has the chance. In the book it feels kind of natural because the tone of the story is lighter and aimed to children, but i feel the scene in the movie feels out of place, even when the scene looks exactly like how it is described in the book. Similar to the songs, where in the book feels fine because it is a children's book, but in a movie not all of them work. The misty mountains song sounds mysterious and suits the tone of the movie, others like the Goblin King's song not (thank god it was only in the extended edition because it would have looked like one of those Don Bluth's cheesy animated 80's movies)

So anyways, I would say keep your mind open for this version. Don't worry, my intention is l to have continuity errors with LOTR. None of these changes would affect the trilogy.

The draft is ready btw. PM if you are interested :)

Hi samspider
I am late in joining this thread, but I have read all the posts.
I am a Tolkien purist and I have watched almost every edit there is to watch ;-).
I must agree with the consensus that the riddles game should be kept, The Hobbit is a prequel not a sequel to LOTR and the riddle game is important for character development and continuity, and as others have noted, Gollum does change over time after he looses the ring and is tortured.
I must also disagree with another point you made. The Hobbit is not a Children's book, I am 70 yeas old and I still read it every now and then :)
The Goblin King's song is truly ridiculous, and if you have ever watched "The Jungle Book (1967)" it is exactly the same tune of King Louie"s song "I wana be like you"
I'll PM for the draft and let you know more when I've seen it
Cheers
All the best

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hasmak said:
The Hobbit is not a Children's book

Well, it is. First line from the Wikipedia article...

"The Hobbit, or There and Back Again, is a fantasy novel and children's book by English author J. R. R. Tolkien."

...just saying.

hasmak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC said:
Well, it is. First line from the Wikipedia article...

"The Hobbit, or There and Back Again, is a fantasy novel and children's book by English author J. R. R. Tolkien."

...just saying.

Well, what can I say, I am a big boy :lol:

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Every book is a children's book if the kid can read​. (Mitch Hedberg.)

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Star Wars is also a movie for 'kids' but entertainment is entertainment, books are books. :) :)

So here's something.. I've not seen any of the Hobbit movies. Why? Because I was counting on someone doing this project. The Hobbit is a single book, and not even a terribly long one. 3 movies? Dear god that's hubris. I'll still see them all once they're all out on BD, but I also didn't want to have to wait in between each movie to see them all, again, it's one book, no need to split it up so I'll watch them all within a reasonable time (single weekend or one a night during the week). Good luck on this and I look forward to it!

Hoping this turns out well

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well people, I had some trouble with my PC and I can't work on my project. It's possible that I have to remake this Fan Edit again because it's probable that the Vegas file will become corrupt or something, but I believe I will finish sooner because when my pc was failing, I was already finishing this project. I will let you know when it's ready. It's a very Ambitious Fan Edit in my opinion, and I hope all of you like it :)

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I finally Finished the Fan Edit and this are some of the major changes:
-Film opens with Thorin and Gandalf discussing about go to Erebor and take the Arkenstone back (I also cut the Thrain search from the conversation because it is not resolved in the movie, and in my fan edit is not even part of the story).

-Trimmed a lot of stuff from the Dwarf visit to Bilbo's house in order to begin the adventure after 23 minutes. Bilbo goes with the Dwarves mostly because they need his help and that's it. He will not be thinking about go or not go with them like in the movie.

-All of that Bilbo's troubles about come back to the Shire, or Thorin believing Bilbo is worthless is not in the fan edit.

-Some action sequences were cut a little bit in order to make the story go forward. For example, the Goblin Town part or the Orcs chasing the dwarves while being distracted by Radagast.

-Once the Dwarves Escape Thranduil, they don't fight the orcs and the elves to open the gate. The gate was always open and they become chased by the orcs (yes, i left the bouncing Bombur because i felt it was fun xD)

-Trolls scene was cut a little bit because i found it kind of silly and cartoonish, but anyways, i did what i thought it could be done.

-The audience does not know about Azog being alive until the Goblin King reveals he is hunting Thorin.

-Rivendel part was cut a lot in order to make the story flow faster. Bilbo visiting the Isildur's room was added from the Extended Edition.

-I tried to cut the best i could the love triangle.

-Kili is wounded and he has fever later in the movie, but not because of the morgul arrow. Just because the wound got worse, but he is not dying like in the movie.

-Some scenes with Smaug were cut in order to win more time. Smaug scenes chasing the Dwarves inside Erebor were cut, and I only used the final Battle in the forges.

-You know the prophecy of Durin's Folk and stuff that the people of Lake Town were discussing? yeah well, that was cut. No Prophecy at all.

-Another Scene from the Extended Edition from The Desolation of Smaug was added but not because it is important. I just needed it because it helped me to make a transition. Without it, i felt the scene was a little bit rush.

-Legolas does not fight Bolg nor has contact with him. He chases the Orcs to Dol Guldur after they attack Bard's house, and Tauriel stays with Bard's family cause Legolas did not wait for Tauriel. Not my best cut, but my plan is to resolve some things here in the next fan edit about BOTFA to not have continuity mistakes.

-Tauriel and Legolas never interrogate the Orc or Come back to Mirkwood. They just begin to hunt the Orcs (Tauriel's idea lol) because they are evil and they need to fight them bla bla bla, like Tauriel said in the movie. It is their fight.

-Once the dwarves get the toll gate, they are not stopped by Alfrid. Just a natural transition to the inside of the city.

-One of Radagast scene was cut. Radagast is introduced when he talks to Gandalf about Dol Guldur.

-Some footage was used as Flashbacks. When Galadriel talks about the Witch King, i Added the scene where he is buried in his tomb. When Thorin is talking to Thranduil, i put scenes where Thorin and company was escaping from Erebor and was seeking help in the Elves, but they did not help them. Another scene of Thror was added when Thranduil is talking about his greed and what he would summon.

Well, these are some of the changes. They are so many that I can remember all of them and it's not i did not present them in this comment in order haha, but basically it's my attempt to make the 2 movies in one because as i said, i feel like they always needed to be 2 movies instead of 3.

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
So I finally Finished the Fan Edit and this are some of the major changes:
-Film opens with Thorin and Gandalf discussing about go to Erebor and take the Arkenstone back (I also cut the Thrain search from the conversation because it is not resolved in the movie, and in my fan edit is not even part of the story).

-Trimmed a lot of stuff from the Dwarf visit to Bilbo's house in order to begin the adventure after 23 minutes. Bilbo goes with the Dwarves mostly because they need his help and that's it. He will not be thinking about go or not go with them like in the movie.

-All of that Bilbo's troubles about come back to the Shire, or Thorin believing Bilbo is worthless is not in the fan edit.

-Some action sequences were cut a little bit in order to make the story go forward. For example, the Goblin Town part or the Orcs chasing the dwarves while being distracted by Radagast.

-Once the Dwarves Escape Thranduil, they don't fight the orcs and the elves to open the gate. The gate was always open and they become chased by the orcs (yes, i left the bouncing Bombur because i felt it was fun xD)

-Trolls scene was cut a little bit because i found it kind of silly and cartoonish, but anyways, i did what i thought it could be done.

-The audience does not know about Azog being alive until the Goblin King reveals he is hunting Thorin.

-Rivendel part was cut a lot in order to make the story flow faster. Bilbo visiting the Isildur's room was added from the Extended Edition.

-I tried to cut the best i could the love triangle.

-Kili is wounded and he has fever later in the movie, but not because of the morgul arrow. Just because the wound got worse, but he is not dying like in the movie.

-Some scenes with Smaug were cut in order to win more time. Smaug scenes chasing the Dwarves inside Erebor were cut, and I only used the final Battle in the forges.

-You know the prophecy of Durin's Folk and stuff that the people of Lake Town were discussing? yeah well, that was cut. No Prophecy at all.

-Another Scene from the Extended Edition from The Desolation of Smaug was added but not because it is important. I just needed it because it helped me to make a transition. Without it, i felt the scene was a little bit rush.

-Legolas does not fight Bolg nor has contact with him. He chases the Orcs to Dol Guldur after they attack Bard's house, and Tauriel stays with Bard's family cause Legolas did not wait for Tauriel. Not my best cut, but my plan is to resolve some things here in the next fan edit about BOTFA to not have continuity mistakes.

-Tauriel and Legolas never interrogate the Orc or Come back to Mirkwood. They just begin to hunt the Orcs (Tauriel's idea lol) because they are evil and they need to fight them bla bla bla, like Tauriel said in the movie. It is their fight.

-Once the dwarves get the toll gate, they are not stopped by Alfrid. Just a natural transition to the inside of the city.

-One of Radagast scene was cut. Radagast is introduced when he talks to Gandalf about Dol Guldur.

-Some footage was used as Flashbacks. When Galadriel talks about the Witch King, i Added the scene where he is buried in his tomb. When Thorin is talking to Thranduil, i put scenes where Thorin and company was escaping from Erebor and was seeking help in the Elves, but they did not help them. Another scene of Thror was added when Thranduil is talking about his greed and what he would summon.

Well, these are some of the changes. They are so many that I can remember all of them and it's not i did not present them in this comment in order haha, but basically it's my attempt to make the 2 movies in one because as i said, i feel like they always needed to be 2 movies instead of 3.

Dustin6595

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jay from Red Letter Media recently said the only thing he would be interested in watching any of the 3 Hobbit movies again is if a faneditor successfully makes them into one movie. So good luck on that.

lotrjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Dustin6595 said:
Jay from Red Letter Media recently said the only thing he would be interested in watching any of the 3 Hobbit movies again is if a faneditor successfully makes them into one movie. So good luck on that.

Im sure that wont be hard to find when they are all out on extended edition! I have fan edits of the first two Hobbit films that someone cut down to 3 1/2 hours, so the whole thing with just stuff from the Hobbit book only couldnt be more than 5 hours altogether, although it will depend what is left in and what isnt, as that will be the fan editors choice!

ErikPancakes

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My preliminary, super-rough edit of the extended cuts of 1 and 2 (6 hours total) ended up clocking in at 2 hours and 15 minutes. I'm 100% convinced that a very good edit can be made that cuts all 3 films (probably 9 hours with the extended BotFA scenes) down to 3 or 3 and a half hours. No more is needed unless you really want to keep the White Council/Dol Guldur scenes, and even then I don't think it would be necessary for the film to break 4 hours.

lotrjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
ErikPancakes said:
My preliminary, super-rough edit of the extended cuts of 1 and 2 (6 hours total) ended up clocking in at 2 hours and 15 minutes. I'm 100% convinced that a very good edit can be made that cuts all 3 films (probably 9 hours with the extended BotFA scenes) down to 3 or 3 and a half hours. No more is needed unless you really want to keep the White Council/Dol Guldur scenes, and even then I don't think it would be necessary for the film to break 4 hours.

I would like to see your preliminary cut of the first two films that you say is 2 hours 15 minuets, I have both the first two Hobbit films extended on BluRay and my email you can send links to is lotr@jandcwoods.co.uk

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Let's stay focused on this edit please.

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello everyone. I Can finally say that I finished the Hobbit Fan Edit :D . It's 3 hours and 15 minutes long, 25 minutes if you include the credits. I'm sure many will be very sattisfied with this Fan Edit because I particulary am very happy with it. You can wait until I publish it in the web site or you can PM and I will give you the links :) .

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'll probably wait for the final version with Five Armies

lotrjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
samspider3 said:
Hello everyone. I Can finally say that I finished the Hobbit Fan Edit :D . It's 3 hours and 15 minutes long, 25 minutes if you include the credits. I'm sure many will be very sattisfied with this Fan Edit because I particulary am very happy with it. You can wait until I publish it in the web site or you can PM and I will give you the links :) .

Well I have now watched your edit, there are some parts I liked and some I didn't. I see you basically opted to keep Jackson's Azog continual chase thing expect at the pine trees cliff thing. I like how you put the DoS prologue into the beginning of the film after the AUJ back-story/prologue and the cutting of the love story. I assume you used the theatrical versions of the films which for most parts I felt was a poor choice as bits like an extended White Council, Dwarfs meeting Beorn, extra talk between Bilbo and Smaug ect are good. Where the theatrical versions are better is on things like Dol Guldur where Gandalf not meeting Thrain is better. I thought cutting Bilbo running out of bag end to meet the dwarfs was a pointless cut so was explaining about the swards at Rivendell. I also found it odd that you cut Kili getting shot by the arrow in one place and yet he is ill and needing the athelass in another scene its all too inconsistent. Also I never got the whole cover Smaug in gold thing and other fan edits I have seen cut it out, the dwarfs never fight the dragon so why should it happen in the film?
Sorry but it wasn't the best edit I have seen although you have made it seamless and somehow it does flow in an odd way, like leaving the Dol Guldur story in and the flash backs like with Radagast seeing the Necromancer/Saron, flashback to bits of prologue when Thorin is talking with the elven king. If I was to rate it I would say 5/10.

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lotrjw said:
Well I have now watched your edit, there are some parts I liked and some I didn't. I see you basically opted to keep Jackson's Azog continual chase thing expect at the pine trees cliff thing. I like how you put the DoS prologue into the beginning of the film after the AUJ back-story/prologue and the cutting of the love story. I assume you used the theatrical versions of the films which for most parts I felt was a poor choice as bits like an extended White Council, Dwarfs meeting Beorn, extra talk between Bilbo and Smaug ect are good. Where the theatrical versions are better is on things like Dol Guldur where Gandalf not meeting Thrain is better. I thought cutting Bilbo running out of bag end to meet the dwarfs was a pointless cut so was explaining about the swards at Rivendell. I also found it odd that you cut Kili getting shot by the arrow in one place and yet he is ill and needing the athelass in another scene its all too inconsistent. Also I never got the whole cover Smaug in gold thing and other fan edits I have seen cut it out, the dwarfs never fight the dragon so why should it happen in the film?
Sorry but it wasn't the best edit I have seen although you have made it seamless and somehow it does flow in an odd way, like leaving the Dol Guldur story in and the flash backs like with Radagast seeing the Necromancer/Saron, flashback to bits of prologue when Thorin is talking with the elven king. If I was to rate it I would say 5/10.

I Decided not to use some of the scenes of the Extended Editions because while they are interesting, they slow down the pace, and I wanted to be consistent. I didn't use the council extended part because this adventure is not about the ring of power yet. As I said, I cut Bilbo running to meet the Dwarves because (while winning more time) I wanted to make it seem like Bilbo wants to help them and that's it. No dilema about wanting to go with them or not. In fact, I made an experiment and showed this Fan Edit to some people who have never seen the Hobbit and they did not complain about that at any moment. Same with Kili being wounded. We can assume that after so much movement in the barrels, he gets a wound. It's normal that wounds get worse if they don't get the properly medical attention, so that's why he gets fever later in the film.

Particulary, I never had problems with Smaug being drowned with the gold statue. My real problem was that in the original scene, the statue took too long to melt on the Dragon, and it should not happen this when the Gold is still fresh, so I cut it a little bit to make it seem like it melts right in the moment.

So anyways, still thanks for watching the Fan Edit.

Top Bottom