• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Hobbit: Part 1 by samspider3

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, I must say that as a reader of the Hobbit original Book, i was pretty excited when the movie was going out. However, I did not find a very good idea to make a very thin novel into a Trilogy of movies just like Lord of the Rings. LOTR was pure awesomness and there is nothing i would change about them (although i'm open to ideas and other fan editors perspectives about the original trilogy), but The Hobbit is by far a Trilogy i Consider a little bit... well, it could have been better.

I Thought the first Hobbit movie was too slow and unnecesarily long, especially speaking of the beginning, in Bilbo's house. The Second movie was another story. I found it excellent in so many ways, but I still believe it could have been part of ONE movie instead of three. Plus, there are some thing i would have left out. Like that Tauriel and Kili love story.

So I began this new Project I called The Hobbit. Just the Hobbit. No subtitles at all. This Fan Edit will consist into make the Hobbit Trilogy one Four hour movie instead of three movies. My original Idea was to make this movie 3 hours long, but since the movies have slow development and there are some stuff that are important to the story that can't be cut, I believe it will have a Lenght of 4 hours more or less.

Obviously, Battle of the Five Armies has not been released yet, but my idea is to continue this fan edit when the movie is released on Blu-Ray. I have the first 2 hours and 45 minutes of this fan edit ready.

Some of the changes I made in this fan edit were:

An Unexpected Journey:
-Trimmed the Bilbo's house meeting.
-Bilbo does not have a complex of leaving the Shire or going to the adventure. He just goes with the Dwarves when he understands the quest.
-I cut a scene with Radagast the Brown where he goes to Dol Guldur. His character is introduced after the encounter with the Trolls.
-The encounter with the Trolls was shortened a little bit so we can advance quicker.
-The scene were Radagast helps the group to escape was edited a little bit. The original was kind of stupid. Everybody was just running in circles instead of escaping.
-When the group is at Rivendell, it has been shortened to what is important to the story. As I said, we need time for the rest of the story.
-The Rock Giants scene was cut. When I was in the cinema, I was just like "oh, come on..."
-Thorin not having trust in Bilbo's skills was cut out of the story.
-Bilbo falls to Gollum's cave after the group falls to the Goblins lair.
-The Goblin King's dialogues were cut a little bit. This character is kind of silly to me.
-Azog being alive is discovered at the same time Thorin discovers it, when the Goblin King says it to him.
-The Riddle games was left out. I have two problems with this scene. One, it is a little bit long for my Fan Edit. Two, although it was a scene so well made, was very sattisfying to me when i was watching it, i believe it kind of not suits Gollum's character at all. Instead, i edited it in a way Gollum wanted to kill Bilbo after he discovers he is lost in the darkness.
-The Goblin cave escape was shortened.
-First part of the Story concludes with one of the Henchmen of Azog telling him that they could not reach the Dwarves because the Elves attacked them, causing Azog to search them personally.

The Desolation of Smaug:
-The second part begins with Azog searching the group in the mountains, and the group is hiding from them. The prologue from the first movie where Bilbo explains what happened to Erebor was cut and instead was replaced with Thorin meeting Gandalf in the Prancing Pony.
-The conversation with Beorn about the others like him being slaved was cut. It's interesting information but i still needed time to advance the story without making it too long.
-Bilbo saying to Gandalf he found "his courage" in the cave was cut.
-Mirkwood's Spiders sequence was shortened a little bit in order to advance quicker.
-Footage from the prologue of the first film was used when Thorin is speaking with Thranduil.
-A scene with the orcs waiting the Dwarves to come out was cut, as the scene where Thranduil talks to Tauriel.
-The barrel scene was cut out a little bit. They are not stopped by the gates being closed. They just go on. Also, the orcs, Legolas and Tauriel begin to chase them.
-The encounter with Bard was trimmed in order to advance quicker.
-The Governor from the Lake town is the one that introduces Bard's name to the spectator.
-Legolas and Tauriel still chase the orcs and the Dwarves. They don't come back to Mirkwood.
-Kili is hurt by the movements of the barrels in the river. No Arrow and no sickness.
-The encounter with Smaug was shortened a little bit. Some parts of the dialogue were cut in order to advance a little bit the story. Don't worry, Smaug is still awesome in my Fan Edit :p
-Tauriel stays with Bard's family to protect them, not because of Kili.
-The Battle with Smaug was cut a little bit in order to make it advance. It's still an awesome action sequence and I did not want to delete it at all xD.

In this way, each movie has a length of 1 hour and 20 minutes. Hope the next movie is not so long in order to make this project shorter. 2 hours and 45 minutes is what I have by this time. I'm going to render a draft and if you are interested, i will give you the link to download it. I still don't have the draft ready, but I will update this message when it's up.

Update: The movie has been uploaded. I can send you the link by PM to download it whenever you want.
If you see it, and you have suggestions or ideas, i would love read them :p. Hope you are interested in this project too.

kellenpure

Reaction score
Trophy Points
First feedback - removing the riddle game is taking out one of the most iconic parts of the Hobbit. I would recommend finding other parts to cut, there are many! Cut more of the barrel scene for instance, it is a goofy arcade sequence that made me sigh in the theater.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
kellenpure said:
First feedback - removing the riddle game is taking out one of the most iconic parts of the Hobbit. I would recommend finding other parts to cut, there are many! Cut more of the barrel scene for instance, it is a goofy arcade sequence that made me sigh in the theater.

^ This

faapf

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Riddles in the Dark is my favorite scene of all Hobbit trilogy (yup im saying that in advance of TBOFA) so i really wouldn't watch the movie without it.. Since you want to use TBOFA to make this edit i suggest to cut more smaug from late-desolation scenes. After all the third movie begins with smaug showing his power in lake town.. using the "smaug going after the dwarves" tom and jerry-ish sequence will probably take out most of the greatness of lake town destruction if showed it right trough. but hey, its your edit! not mine :p

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi [MENTION=25898]samspider3[/MENTION], hope all's well. While all the points made before are definitely valid (these are iconic scenes for sure, and I'm inclined to agree), I look at it from the flip side-- there are three great edits of AUJ out and two of DOS so far. When making your edit, you want to ask if you're bringing anything new to the table (same as approaching a Star Wars edit)-- why should we watch your version instead of, say, the Arkenstone edition? In my opinion, I think you are Definitely doing something new with the material by making some of the radical cuts you mention. Leaving Riddles in, while arguably the 'canon' or 'right' thing to do, does not make your edit any different from the ones which came before-- every viewer/ editor is different and has different notions about what works and doesn't. When making an AUJ edit, I wouldn't cut Riddles because I loved that scene but would cut something else that everyone loved because I felt it didn't work. At the end of the day, when editing a new film to make it better there are many instances you have to give in to the scenes, but the best thing about editing something which has been done as frequently as Star Wars or The Hobbit, you have the creative license to do whatever you feel, because folks always have another edit to go to if they don't like yours, but it will give your edit a unique identity which differentiates it from the rest. Also the 80 min runtime is pretty slick, I don't know how you achieved that but kudos. Just food for thought-- I would listen to all the feedback on your thread, but at the end of the day its your edit and the decisions are yours. Cheers.

kellenpure

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ranger the 613th makes a point, there are outstanding Hobbit edits out there. Without some radically different changes you're unlikely to get much attention. Who knows - Ranger yanked some of my favorite scenes from Bladerunner and somehow pulled it off!

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well this project began because, as I said, i don't think the Hobbit should be a trilogy at all. So with my edit, we can see the story as fluid as we can get it while leaving the best parts of the trilogy.

Now, the riddles game. I cut it because i feel in the book works just fine because Gollum's character was not entirely defined, but having watched LOTR, it seems like Gollum would not do something like a Riddles game. He would attack everyone and even kill them if he has the chance. In the book it feels kind of natural because the tone of the story is lighter and aimed to children, but i feel the scene in the movie feels out of place, even when the scene looks exactly like how it is described in the book. Similar to the songs, where in the book feels fine because it is a children's book, but in a movie not all of them work. The misty mountains song sounds mysterious and suits the tone of the movie, others like the Goblin King's song not (thank god it was only in the extended edition because it would have looked like one of those Don Bluth's cheesy animated 80's movies)

So anyways, I would say keep your mind open for this version. Don't worry, my intention is l to have continuity errors with LOTR. None of these changes would affect the trilogy.

The draft is ready btw. PM if you are interested :)

MackerelSkyLtd

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Out of curiousity, is the second uneccessary "videogame-cutscene" flashback* left in for this edit? I don't see it in the cutlist, but with the runtime so dramatically reduced, I wasn't sure how comprehensive your cutlist was...

*You know, the just-so story where Thorin Oakenshield got a name because he picked up a little branch in the middle of a CGI battlefield while battling Agog the Annoying? That was probably the point in theaters where hope died for the Hobbit Trilogy for me.

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That scene is still in the movie. In my opinion, it helps to the development of Thorin's character. I think he was bad ass when that scene appeared, but anyways, just my vision.

krloz

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think it's better if you keep in Bilbo's reluctance to the journey. Otherwise is out of character for him to just go into the blue. Riddles in the dark you say doesn't work because having watch LOTR you know that Gollum is much more vicious and would kill Bilbo. But you're not meant to have any previous knowledge of LOTR when watching the Hobbit, and you could make the argument that Gollum is more youthful and happier because he has his precious. Just saying.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
krloz said:
and you could make the argument that Gollum is more youthful and happier because he has his precious. Just saying.

This. The fact that he lost his precious amped his evilness considerately, making him more cunning and vindictive when we meet him in Two Towers.

slekyr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not to mention that he is tortured in Fellowship. It's a very brief scene but it is implied that he went through physically harm before giving up the names "Shire" and "Baggins" to the Ring Wraiths. Losing the thing I loved most in the world and then being tortured for someone else to find said object would really put a damper on my spirits.

dangermouse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Actually, riddles in the dark is particularly vindictive - he's playing with his food, secure in the knowledge that his precious is safe. He's like a cat, toying with Baggins before he eats it.
He was never going to keep his end of the bargain. He's a sneak.
The baggins escapes only because of what it had in its pocketses...
He's certainly more unhinged in LOTR, driven half-mad by his desrire of the ring, afraid of the world and everything in it, and then captured and tortured on top of it.

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thousands of cuts and nobody says anything about them. I cut riddles in the Dark and everyone loses their minds :v

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
samspider3 said:
Thousands of cuts and nobody says anything about them.

Consider yourself fortunate.

ranger613

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
samspider3 said:
Thousands of cuts and nobody says anything about them. I cut riddles in the Dark and everyone loses their minds :v
I'd honestly say stick to your cut. It makes your edit unique. Plus without watching the whole thing, there's no way of telling if it'll work or not. It's your vision, and only you can determine if it works--after assembling the cut.

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are there really​ thousands of cuts though? Just sayin...

Oh and P.S.

FReOb2.jpg

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hahaha good one Neglify. Well i don't really know if there are thousands of cuts, but i am sure that theyre were a lot of them. Especially if you are making the films shorter and want to transform them into one movie :v. And thank you ranger613 for your support. That is what i'm gonna do.

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm gonna make a little change in this Fan Edit. First of all, I will just make the Hobbit Trilogy 2 parts as originally was planned, instead of one movie as i wanted in a beginning.

Riddles in the Dark is in the Fan Edit again and I will use like 2 minutes of footage from the Extended Editions. 25 seconds of one scene that helps to my fan edit to advance, 15 seconds of the scene of the Witch King being buried and like 30 seconds (or so) of Bilbo walking in Rivendell and discovering the broken sword of Isildur.

If my calculations are correct, the Fan Edit could have a lenght of 3 hours. 3 hours and 10 minutes if we count the credits.

When BOTFA comes on Blu-Ray, I will try to make it shorter or removing parts of the plot so I can establish some continuity between my Fan Edit and this one.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
samspider3 said:
I'm gonna make a little change in this Fan Edit. First of all, I will just make the Hobbit Trilogy 2 parts as originally was planned, instead of one movie as i wanted in a beginning.

That sounds like a big change! Any reason in particular?

Top Bottom