• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Hobbit: Part 1 by samspider3

MovieMaven

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The point being missed is that in The Hobbit, Gollum is lonely. He's been all by himself, no one else to talk to, for five hundred years - naturally he's gone a bit stir-crazy. Then somebody else suddenly shows up, somebody with whom he can communicate, somebody who knows the same riddles he does, and he can't decide whether to play games with him or eat him (pr play games and then eat him, which seems to be what he more-or-less settles on). And then his chance companion/dinner turns out to have "stolen" the only thing Gollum cares about, and that's what turns him into the malevolent monster we see in LOTR.

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
MovieMaven said:
The point being missed is that in The Hobbit, Gollum is lonely. He's been all by himself, no one else to talk to, for five hundred years - naturally he's gone a bit stir-crazy. Then somebody else suddenly shows up, somebody with whom he can communicate, somebody who knows the same riddles he does, and he can't decide whether to play games with him or eat him (pr play games and then eat him, which seems to be what he more-or-less settles on). And then his chance companion/dinner turns out to have "stolen" the only thing Gollum cares about, and that's what turns him into the malevolent monster we see in LOTR.

Yup, but don't worry. The Riddles game is perfectly intact in this Fan Edit. I wanted to cut it, but since it is one of the most iconic scenes of the story, i decided not to.

lotrjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
samspider3 said:
Yup, but don't worry. The Riddles game is perfectly intact in this Fan Edit. I wanted to cut it, but since it is one of the most iconic scenes of the story, i decided not to.

I agree also, the Gollum riddles scene is not something a fan editor should mess with unless they are simply moving the whole thing slightly sooner or later in the part where the dwarfs are still in goblin town. Even Peter Jackson decided against tampering with it as he originally wanted to intercut it with the goblin town scenes, so good choice for leaving as is, its definitely something that they got right in these films!

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was kind of expecting more interest on you when the fan edit was releases :|

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
samspider3 said:
I was kind of expecting more interest on you when the fan edit was releases :|
Such is life. Be happy with what you have.

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
theunbeholden said:
You'll be taking some scenes from the last movie I expect?

I will cut what is necessary to keep some continuity with my 3 hours Edit. Also, I will cut a lot of Alfrid being the comic relief.

samspider3

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If someone is still interested in this Fan Edit, I have updated it with some little changes while keeping the same length: 3 Hours and 16 minutes (no credits)

-Bilbo decides to not go with the Dwarves as their burglar, and then changes his mind like in the original movie, but shortened a lot.

-In my first Edit, I cut the parts where the Dwarves bury a chest with treasures, but i added it again because it affects the continuity with the third movie, where Bilbo comes back bag end with the chest.

-There is some little pause and an added shot when Radagast appears to talk about Dol Guldur with Gandalf. Nothing too big, but the original fan edit kinda botthered me because it was not my best cut.

-I cut the scene where Bilbo discovers Isildur's room, where Sauron's painting is visible, because it felt kind of out of place. It's not like it's an important scene after all.

-Some seconds more were restored in the scene where Gandalf rescues the Dwarves. Nothing too big, but it bothered me a little bit in the final cut.

-Cut part of the dialogue where Beorn says to the company "you will never reach the forest alive", because it's kind of stupid. "You will never reach the forest alive" and seconds later, they reach the forest alive xD.

-Added the scene where the company enters the Wood elves realm, where we see nice transitions of Thranduil as the king.

-Except for the white gems Thranduil was talking about, the flashbacks of Thorin and Thraduil are gone. Obviously because we already saw that in the beginning. I never took those shots because in my first draft, the intro of Erebor being destroyed didn't exist.

-Some shots of the Dwarves escaping in the barrels were added because I felt there was something missing.

-Cut the Scene where Bard gives the unuseful weapons to the dwarves. Instead, the scene will go like this: After Thorin asks Bard for the weapons, we go to the scene where Tauriel and Legolas talk about evil and good and bla bla (btw, in the original i cut some stuff in the scene, but now i added it normal, no cuts) and then we see the Dwarves getting the weapons in Lake town's armory. We can Assume Bard told them where they could get the weapons.

Also, I made this modification because in my original Cut, Bard realizes who the company is, and in the next scene, the dwarves get the weapons to go to the mountain. Obviusly this would lead to a plot hole: If he knew they were the dwarves and didn't want them to go there, why did he let them get the weapons? Now it will seem like Bard still doesn't know who they are.

-Alternate shot of Bilbo going to Thror's treasure room.

-Finally, in my original cut, after Thorin and company escape from Smaug with Bilbo, they get to a dead alley where they see the last of their kin. Hopeless, they believe there is no chance to survive, but then Thorin encourages them to kill Smaug. Then, we see Bard trying to get to the top of the tower with the black arrow to kill smaug, but then he is knocked by the Master of Lake town and is taken to a cell. Then, we see Bard's family being attacked.

Now, I arranged a little bit the scenes, because the scene where the dwarves see the last of their kin is dramatic, I love it, but it loses the "drama factor" in my original cut because after that scene we see Bard trying to get to the tower, it seems like they try to do the same stuff, what if the dwarves would have actually killed smaug? Bard would serve no purpose. So the scene goes like this: The Dwarves escape from Smaug, then we see Bard trying to get to the tower, unsuccesfully, and taken to his cell, and finally we see the Dwarves' kin scene. Now it will seem like, to the audience, the only one that could killed Smaug has been captured, and the Dwarves have no other way out, but then they are encouraged to kill Smaug. The scene works better now. The Drama i'm looking for now exists.

Anyways, i need to change some stuff in the IFDB page xD.

Daniel Palmer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow I loved the idea of the Hobbit being one film and I think what you did is really cool.
I and happy to hear you are waiting for the Battle of Five Armies Extended Edition. You may cut a lot out of Battle of Five Armies but I think there will be a lot of great scenes that add to the stores depth enhancing the fan edit!
Looking forward to version of The Hobbit Part 2!

Daniel Palmer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I prefer this 2 movie edit more than each movie all in one 3 hour film because this retains most of my favorite parts from the original movies.

This is a great shortened version of The Hobbit the first two movies the beginning of the movie goes pretty quick. The original movies beginning drag on a bit. There's a lot of scenes that are cut the don't really advance the story along. Although there is one cut in particular that I'm not a fan of is the stone giants battle being cut. It is one of my favorite scenes in the entire Hobbit movies.
All scenes and small cuts work and you you don’t notice anything was cut out.

In the end this is a solid Fanedit and I Highly recommend it!
Can't wait for The Hobbit Part 2!

Shags2dope

Reaction score
Trophy Points
One of the main reasons i joined this site and was something i was hoping for after watching the first hobbit movie and then falling asleep twice on part 2. This is just what i was looking for, very well made and i would suggest to anyone who loves the hobbit story but isnt interested in giving up 9 hours of their life to watch all the side plots and nonsense.

Very well done totally watching part 1 & 2 with the family christmas day so thanks from me and mine

Top Bottom