• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Hobbit [M4 Book Edit 2021] [4 Hours]

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit has certainly come along since I last watched it.

Reactions: M4_

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Introduction

Hello! I have completed my own re-edit of The Hobbit trilogy, made from scratch, started in 2019, and now finished in the summer of 2021. For those that may wonder "what makes this unique," I can briefly explain. Most of the successful Hobbit edits I see here are usually the 2 film or 3 film format (The Arkenstone edit, 2 film structure, anti cringe cut, l8wrtr, etc) , which are all amazing in their own right, but I found myself wanting to have The Hobbit in an extended edition style single-film format, so mine as a result mine is edited much differently than those previous edits. Granted, 3-in-1 book accurate Hobbit edits are also reasonably common on the internet, but to my knowledge there is only one approved on this website like mine, which is the the Maple Edit.

That said, what I am getting at is that I feel there is still much more room for interpretation and creativity within this "genre" of single-movie book focused Hobbit edits, that a "new" experience can still be delivered, and thus my version is not a rehash of any prior fan edits, due to both its formats and goals, which have only barely been tackled by this fan edit community based on the approved edits list. That leads me to my project, which has several goals listed below. In summary, I cut the movies to be as book accurate as possible, to fit better with the LOTR films, and overall just be a more streamlined film that's enjoyable for all audiences.
There are actually two more award winning single film edits on this database. Both are quite good. Billy Batson's Hobbit and Spence's Revision which has been cited as an influence by many who came later. I can see why Dustin's would be more memorable having his own website, etc.

Not that you don't accomplish your goals. From my first preview...yours is quite good. Your editing is seamless. Your cut choices excellent. I love the chapter markers! Anxious to see the revised version.

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There are actually two more award winning single film edits on this database. Both are quite good. Billy Batson's Hobbit and Spence's Revision which has been cited as an influence by many who came later. I can see why Dustin's would be more memorable having his own website, etc.

Not that you don't accomplish your goals. From my first preview...yours is quite good. Your editing is seamless. Your cut choices excellent. I love the chapter markers! Anxious to see the revised version.
Spence Edit is definitely a great single movie edit and I know of it, but I remember he was quite clear about not worrying about sticking to the book so that's why I didn't mention it as I tried to specify that the Maple edit is the only 1 movie "book" edit. Although, I've not heard of Billy Batson's yet but that's cool that there is another on here!

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Although, I've not heard of Billy Batson's yet but that's cool that there is another on here!
I somehow missed that you said single film "book edit". I'm not sure Billy claims that his either. My mistake. You nay be correct, on that case.

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I somehow missed that you said single film "book edit". I'm not sure Billy claims that his either. My mistake. You nay be correct, on that case.
Just goes to show how many different types of Hobbit edits there are and I can definitely see how my intro was a bit confusing so no problem, also didnt want to come across like gatekeeping what edits are good - I just was trying to say I’m surprised there aren’t many book edits on the site, since I know of so many elsewhere (such as the Tolkien cut, the first ever hobbit edit). Also I really appreciate the activity you’ve given this thread haha and the kind words from earlier 👍

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Gonna watch your updated edit after the following:

I heard You Paint Houses (watching now)
SplitUnbreakableGlass (updated)
The last two Hobbit Edits by Q2
Captain Marvel Where's The Love

Maybe not in that order. 😁

You can reward me with a wow

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is an awesome one film take on The Hobbit. I watched it again with the changes and I have to say, it is just as good or better than the version I previously considered to be the best. Amazing! I will give it a proper review once it is approved which looks like it will be soon.

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is an awesome one film take on The Hobbit. I watched it again with the changes and I have to say, it is just as good or better than the version I previously considered to be the best. Amazing! I will give it a proper review once it is approved which looks like it will be soon.
Glad you enjoyed! Thanks for watching & I look forward to hearing more of your thoughts. Also would be interested to hear, are you a fan of the book / have you read it? Because that's a core aspect of the edit, but see a review from the lenses of just being a fun middle earth movie ignoring the fact that it's an adaptation could be interesting. :)

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Been working on some alternate art, not sure what I think of them yet.

Things like proportions, texturing, spacing, etc. can be adjusted (specifically for the last 2) but curious if anyone has any thoughts.

[edit: outdated]

Last edited:

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ohhhhhhh....I really like the last one.
Thanks! I'll work on it more then. I think The Hobbit title text could use a little work. Also might see if I can get the mountains in as another test. Here's the original, by the way: https://i.pinimg.com/originals/aa/8b/bb/aa8bbb903fccc5c25c9dcbf3a345a033.jpg

Also kinda reminds me of these LOTR ones, https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0631/0177/products/lord_of_rings.jpg?v=1511872585
Mostly empty front but title in the middle.

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like them all but actually prefer that leather look. just my taste though. great work btw

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Did you ever decide which cover you are going with? Did you do those yourself? They are very very good.

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Although the edit is finished, I've been having some fun sharing clips, so here are a few of my favorites:

Also,
Did you ever decide which cover you are going with? Did you do those yourself? They are very very good.
Thank you! I've been a little busy with school so I haven't gotten a chance to do anything more with the art, but here's what I'm thinking:
-The main will be the original one with the large image and leather art style. This one matches my LOTR Blu-ray case
-There wll be 2 alternate arts, instead of the more leathery style, they'll be the more dirty/weathered look, and will have the same "book cover" designs as posted but slightly refined (adjusting spacing, coloring, etc)

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Update on Artwork
Dimensions: 2-disc Blu-ray case
Creator: Myself from scratch, fonts, textures, found on the web. Back side art inspired by the layout of extended The Hobbit Blu-ray set covers

Still not completely satisfied quite yet, feels like something might be off - maybe the colors/textures.. I don't know

[edit: outdated]

Last edited:

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Still like the fourth one. I see someone else knows Photoshop.

Last edited:

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Integrated Special Thanks into official credits for a more professional look, and as Frodo might notice with the names listed, "there was room for a little more." Doesn't impact runtime or anything like that.
fSkC1hJ.png

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Integrated Special Thanks into official credits for a more professional look, and as Frodo might notice with the names listed, "there was room for a little more." Doesn't impact runtime or anything like that.
fSkC1hJ.png
Thanks for the shout out!

davidh200

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can you please dm me a copy of this edit? I'd love to add it to my google drive collection.

Top Bottom