• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Hobbit [M4 Book Edit 2021] [4 Hours]

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Never mind, I have changed my mind and now added a subtle 35mm film grain overlay to reduce the digital look & slightly match closer to the LOTR. The "look" will never match perfectly 1:1 due to the differing color grading/lighting/cameras/way it was shot, but I have done my best to bridge the gap between the two stories while allowing The Hobbit to still keep a bit of its own unique look.

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What do special features include?
(Copy pasted from my full cutlist)

This project also includes its own custom special features, all of which are featured on the Blu-ray ISOs and can be found through navigating the menus.

Editors Audio Commentary: Audio track discussing every change made in this project. It was not just about where changes were made, but also how and why.

Music: “Misty Mountains”& “Blunt the Knives” playable from the menu in their full studio quality.

Release Trailer: The promotional trailer made for this fan project that shows off some of the changes and edits.

Behind the Scenes: A recording of what the project looks like in the editing software, overviewing how everything was put together and some of my common techniques.

Bonus Scenes: Scenes from the original movies that did not make it into my main cut, but were still interesting nonetheless. They have been edited to fit the narrative of my main feature, though. Erebor, Moria, and Bree flashbacks. White Council scene.

If interested feel free to message me!

revel911

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Edit: I just saw the text that you are replacing via an intermission.

M4, super excited as we all know this was a film that needed trimming. How are you transitioning from the hilltop when the eagles grab them? That seems to be where many of these films have struggle.

Last edited:
Reactions: M4_

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, it’s simply just a mini time jump that is covered up with a disc break (or intermission). It’s a good moment to take a break anyways, and so it’s always felt natural to end off there then pick back up on disc two.

Of course, I could remove the intermission and it’d just cut from them staring off into the distance -> cut to black for a few seconds -> a shot of mountains starts to fade in, to show a passage of time but I prefer it with an intermission.

I needed to keep the scene before Beorns house and the chase into it because I wanted all of that untouched so we understood how and why they got there, so the only question the audience may have is “how did they get from carrock to being in the forest at night so quick” rather than also “who really is beorn, where is his house, how did they get inside” etc as in some edits where it cuts straight to beorns house after eagles.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
On your website, you mention that the Blu-ray edition includes:

Deleted Scenes – Four short scenes cut from my project for various good reasons, but I do enjoy them nonetheless. They are not “canon” or part of my Hobbit fan edit universe.

What are the scenes in question?

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
On your website, you mention that the Blu-ray edition includes:

What are the scenes in question?
Warg chase- exciting action sequence from AUJ before rivendell. Cut for many many reasons but I still like it (no radagast though)
Thorin enters treasure room- cut for a continuity error in thorins costume that would be in my edit and also because it’s better to stick with bilbo 100% during smaug scene
Ruins of erebor- self explanatory
Poor souls- scene in ravenhill when they watch smaug attack. Cut for better continuity and it was redundant

(That’s just a summary but if you go to the download page and read the main google doc it’s at the very bottom too I believe)

kellenpure

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just downloaded this and am really looking forward to watching it tonight. Based on your summary, it seems like we have very similar visions of what we would like the movie to be, so assuming the editing is tight (which it appears to be from the clips I watched) I'm guessing this will become my personal go-to version.

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just downloaded this and am really looking forward to watching it tonight. Based on your summary, it seems like we have very similar visions of what we would like the movie to be, so assuming the editing is tight (which it appears to be from the clips I watched) I'm guessing this will become my personal go-to version.
Sounds good! Tried to keep the editing as smooth as possible, once you get to the final battle it became extremely tricky, getting down an hour of wild fighting to a quick 20 minute sequence... Anyways hope you enjoy.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
While I haven't watched the full edit all the way through yet, I have watched bits and pieces and listened to parts of your commentary. So far, it seems like probably my favorite overall version.

However, one thing that I'm puzzled about is why you didn't include the scene of Bilbo planting an acorn, which at least one edit (The Arkenstone edition) has included, especially since you kept Thorin's dialogue about Bilbo planting trees during his death scene.

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks and yeah I heavily considered using that scene but I ultimately decided not to because it felt a little weird (to me) to have a monologue mid battle with our hero’s just standing there. As for the acorn the implication was that he took it back to the shire in his garden (like he mentions to Thorin before the battle) and so the second mention when Thorin dies works as referencing that he’ll plant them in the future. Although, I definitely see the appeal to the scene and the emotional impact of it, it’s basically like the pros and cons of the scene balance out and I think it just comes down to opinion. It could really go either way keeping it or cutting it and I like how the arkenstone edit used it

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
By the way, which film grain did you use, and at what opacity did you overlay it?

I've recently discovered an excellent free pack of five types of film grain overlays (including both 35mm fine and 35mm coarse) from Shutterstock. (However, I believe the bitrate of the TDCat ones I mentioned earlier in the thread is higher, although they only have one level of coarseness rather than two to choose between).

https://www.shutterstock.com/blog/how-to-use-free-film-grain-overlays

Last edited:

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I believe I used one of those actually or at least I had a .zip or .rar pack which includes several grains including a fine and rough 35mm. To match LOTR I found that the rougher 35mm set to overlay and a lower opacity looked right to me (I think like anywhere between 50-80% opacity I’m not sure Id have to check)

djelo

Reaction score
Trophy Points
have you/will you submit this to the ifdb yet so it can be matched in plex etc?
would be great :D

The Danger Zone

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have you considered removing the artefacting where you've rotoscoped Radagast out?

Last edited:

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
have you/will you submit this to the ifdb yet so it can be matched in plex etc?
would be great :D
I already tried, I think it went through, just waiting on a response!
Have you considered removing the artefacting where you've rotoscoped Radagast out?
Eric was the one who did the VFX rotoscoping for me and he’s very talented but with the Eagle bit he couldn’t get it any closer last time he was working on it. It’s still a little closer than the Maple vfx in the same spot, which actually that edit is approved here so i’m hoping with such a minimal thing people won’t really notice or care. I’ll ask him though

M4_

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
By the way this edit is finished and I submitted it a couple months ago (I hope it went through) so the thread can be moved to pending! (I think that's how it works right?) @DigModiFicaTion

EDIT: Here are some previews for the released versions! I threw them together pretty quick so they aren't perfect but you get the idea.
82r4waN.png

VZkUC2n.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom