• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Vote now in wave 1 of the FEOTM Reboot!

The Hobbit: Into The Fire (A Purist Edition of Desolation of Smaug)

I'm sorry, your highness, but maybe Ranger is taking a much needed break after releasing a baker's dozen worth of fanedits in a month...

A much better way to get the information you seek:

"Hey Ranger, this edit looks great! I'm super-excited to watch it! How are things coming along?"

Calm down, please.

Just watched Fire of the dragon, and I really liked it. But I personally feel that more could be cut, so I'm looking forward to this version :).

Great work!

krist2 said:
Just watched Fire of the dragon, and I really liked it. But I personally feel that more could be cut, so I'm looking forward to this version :).

Great work!

Thank you!

[MENTION=29550]krist2[/MENTION], [MENTION=26033]hasmak[/MENTION], [MENTION=9364]billyboy2010[/MENTION] and everyone else who waited patiently for so long, submitted this for release today, so hopefully it'll be up tomorrow! Thanks to all the guys who supported this edit, wouldn't have hapened without [MENTION=27411]kellenpure[/MENTION], [MENTION=13347]Moe_Syzlak[/MENTION], [MENTION=10624]ssj[/MENTION], [MENTION=8922]njvc[/MENTION], [MENTION=26033]hasmak[/MENTION], [MENTION=11616]Solid11[/MENTION] and everyone else who chimed in. This one's for all of you. Cheers ;-)

Kris

Thanks Kris
Looking forward to this :smile::lol:
Will download ASAP and let you know
Cheers

Cool man, np, looking forward to it! Congrats on getting it done!

aweshum, ranger! congrats on taming the beast!

Review left on IFDB:

This was pretty damn fantastic! To me, it proves that action/adventure spectacles can still be great, even if it's "just a 90-minute movie". The story moves at a fast pace and we don't get slogged down with people we don't care about. The Smaug finale is excellent, I loved it as a single flowing scene, and great visual editing there!

Highly recommended for anybody let down by The Hobbit Part B.

A/V Quality - 9/10
Editing - 10/10 visual, 9/10 audio
Narrative & Enjoyment - 9/10

Neglify said:
Review left on IFDB:

This was pretty damn fantastic! To me, it proves that action/adventure spectacles can still be great, even if it's "just a 90-minute movie". The story moves at a fast pace and we don't get slogged down with people we don't care about. The Smaug finale is excellent, I loved it as a single flowing scene, and great visual editing there!

Highly recommended for anybody let down by The Hobbit Part B.

A/V Quality - 9/10
Editing - 10/10 visual, 9/10 audio
Narrative & Enjoyment - 9/10
Thank you very much for the kind words [MENTION=9578]Neglify[/MENTION]! It means a lot and I am very happy this edit worked for you.
Cheers mate [emoji1]

I echo Neg's review. Watched it last night. Really good. Many of the extra scenes were good - but unnecessary. You got it down to its essence. Awesome!

Extended review after watching it again, this time with my significant other:

An outstanding edit which reveals some brilliant film-making by Jackson et al.

I think this edit can be summed up by wife, who has not seen the original DOS "But this film is really excellent! Why the criticism?"

The editing is seamless. The characters such as Beorn, Bilbo, Thorin, Gandalf, and Bard are given razor sharp focus, with great character moments. The editing of Smaug is just superb. And the pace of the film. Wow. This is a rollicking 90 minute adventure.
What is cut? Mostly orc battles (extras fighting), video game sequences (bouncing river raft and the Smaug Boss Battle vs. dwarves), and focus on secondary characters (Legolas, Kili?, and lady elf). Hurra!

Sound is disappointingly stereo AAC, which I had to fiddle with to sound decent through my surround sound system. (I docked 2 points from A/V quality for that)
Visual fidelity a-ok.

There was one music cue which sounded off to me - as they leave lake town, there's a brief view on the boat with an off musical cue before the shot of Thorin. I would recommend cutting straight to Thorin and the music there.
(And a little repeat on Bilbo's running sound when the great flag falls on him? I noticed it second time round).

An amazing 63 minutes has been cut from this - and it isn't noticeable at all. Class editing (and shows how much filler was in the original release!)
Oh, and great little flash of Sauron in his "Angel of Light" form. Loved it!

I watched this edit two nights back to back and thoroughly enjoyed it both times. Kudos ranger, this is masterful editing.

(PS: For a first time viewer the silver Smaug works fine - my wife thought it was dragon scales glittering in the moonlight.)
The number of dwarves being less is not noticeable either (unless you're a pedant! :) )

9.7/10

[MENTION=7682]dangermouse[/MENTION], wow thank you very much for the review my friend. I am glad you enjoyed it, and am certainly happy your wife did as a first time viewer. Cheers my friend, only reason I edit is for your guys' entertainment. Means a lot :)

My wife and I watched your work yesterday night on the big screen, and all I can say is THANK YOU! She wouldn't even go see D.O.S. in the theaters because she'd been so disappointed after watching AUJ. But the work you did chopping it down and focusing the narrative made an amazing difference. We could really FEEL the story of the Bilbo (instead of just cursing PJ every two minutes). Also a special thank you for all the technical work you put into your edit. I know most of what you do is "invisible" to others, but all that time, care and craft makes a massive difference when folks like me sit down to lose ourselves in a lovingly crafted return to middle-earth.

Congratuations,
Jason

P.S. It may be the last thing you want to hear, but I've got my fingers crossed that after BOTFA comes out you choose to go a layer deeper and take a stab at making a single film (or two). I'm not at all talking about pure fidelity to the book. But my hunch is that the greatest "Hobbit" version from all the footage PJ shot is a 3 to 4 hour movie that peels away practically everything not Bilbo-centered. Regardless, kudos!

happysheep said:
P.S. It may be the last thing you want to hear, but I've got my fingers crossed that after BOTFA comes out you choose to go a layer deeper and take a stab at making a single film (or two). I'm not at all talking about pure fidelity to the book. But my hunch is that the greatest "Hobbit" version from all the footage PJ shot is a 3 to 4 movie that peels away practically everything not Bilbo-centered. Regardless, kudos!

I second that request whole hartedly

Thank you for the kind review. I'm very happy you enjoyed this edit and am more than happy to tackle the next one when it's out!

Is there a 1080p version of this? I can only see the 720p link.

Thanks, looking forward to seeing this.

Back
Top Bottom