• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Hobbit: Fire of the Dragon (Desolation of Smaug Recut)

As Into the Fire release approaches, here is a release trailer:

PS Thanks to all those who voted Fire for the Fanedit award haha. I'm happy you liked my edit and will continue to produce works you enjoy. Cheers! :)

No offence, but as much as I liked a lot, I didn't enjoy the edit very much. And now I am in the minority, just like I am with Spider-Man 2 (which I hate), Man of Steel (which I like) and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (which I love), this time in the form of a fanedit. I can't believe this won the awards!

Masirimso17 said:
No offence, but as much as I liked a lot, I didn't enjoy the edit very much. And now I am in the minority, just like I am with Spider-Man 2 (which I hate), Man of Steel (which I like) and The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (which I love), this time in the form of a fanedit. I can't believe this won the awards!

Easy, sheriff!

How about you write a constructive review using spoiler-signs to explain what you don't like about the edit?

NewSpock said:
Easy, sheriff!

How about you write a constructive review using spoiler-signs to explain what you don't like about the edit?

I already have, in the IFDB page. Mine's the first one.

Masirimso17 said:
I can't believe this won the awards!

rain+on+parade1292539657.jpg

Masirimso17 said:
I already have, in the IFDB page. Mine's the first one.

I see. It seems you've reviewed a preview. While I don't think that the major problems you have with the edit have been changed with the final cut, I think your displeasment with the edit shouldn't lead you to believe that other's enjoyment is wrong.

People have different expectations and experience things differently, what you experience as inexcusable cuts, others might find to be welcome cuts. There is no right or wrong in that. If the edit is not what you wished for, search for another or make one yourself that better suits your vision.

That said, I haven't seen either this edit nor the theatrical cut yet, mainly because I was so disappointed with the first Hobbit-movie, so my opinion in this post doesn't carry much weight.

Masirimso17 said:

Snarf snarf!!! Just wait and watch Into the Fire when it is posted, you will love that version!

NewSpock said:
I see. It seems you've reviewed a preview. While I don't think that the major problems you have with the edit have been changed with the final cut, I think your displeasment with the edit shouldn't lead you to believe that other's enjoyment is wrong.

People have different expectations and experience things differently, what you experience as inexcusable cuts, others might find to be welcome cuts. There is no right or wrong in that. If the edit is not what you wished for, search for another or make one yourself that better suits your vision.

That said, I haven't seen either this edit nor the theatrical cut yet, mainly because I was so disappointed with the first Hobbit-movie, so my opinion in this post doesn't carry much weight.

I understand, thank you!

ranger613 said:
Question for you though--did you think keeping Gandalf in was the right call? Cutting him completely is technically the right purist move; but I feel like cutting it would have been too big of a ?disservice to the movie itself--I mean the scenes were entertaining, important, and like I said in an earlier post, conceivably actually happened. What do you think?

I haven't seen your "Fire of the Dragon" or "Into the Fire" cuts, so what I'm saying here might be redundant, but my thoughts on the Gandalf scenes are...

Lose the scenes at the Witch-King's tomb. It's a cool, creepy set, but it holds the story up and it makes the focus too much on "Sauron is summoning his servants", which to me seems like PJ is trying to make The Hobbit as big and important as Lord of the Rings. I think it would be better to have Gandalf go directly to Dol Guldur. It would mean having to edit Galadriel's message to Gandalf so she doesn't tell him to visit the Witch-King's tomb.

Gandalf's arrival at Dol Guldur - could be edited to remove Radagast, but I think he's a character who works well in small cameos and as the previous film should have already established that Radagast lives in the Mirkwood area, it shouldn't be too much of a surprise to see him with Gandalf without actually seeing the two meeting. This would be quite consistent with Menbailee's AUJ cut, and possibly Galadriel's message to Gandalf could be replaced with flashback-type shots of Radagast telling Gandalf "There is a dark power in Dol Guldur" or words to that effect.

I would also cut the scenes of the Orcs talking to each other in Orcish ("He will find us", "Yes, he will"), and the scene of Gandalf in his cage with the orc army marching out (again, I feel this is PJ trying to be as big as the march from Minas Morgul in ROTK). But I think these have also been discussed in the thread.

Darmok the Green said:
I haven't seen your "Fire of the Dragon" or "Into the Fire" cuts, so what I'm saying here might be redundant, but my thoughts on the Gandalf scenes are...

Lose the scenes at the Witch-King's tomb. It's a cool, creepy set, but it holds the story up and it makes the focus too much on "Sauron is summoning his servants", which to me seems like PJ is trying to make The Hobbit as big and important as Lord of the Rings. I think it would be better to have Gandalf go directly to Dol Guldur. It would mean having to edit Galadriel's message to Gandalf so she doesn't tell him to visit the Witch-King's tomb.

Gandalf's arrival at Dol Guldur - could be edited to remove Radagast, but I think he's a character who works well in small cameos and as the previous film should have already established that Radagast lives in the Mirkwood area, it shouldn't be too much of a surprise to see him with Gandalf without actually seeing the two meeting. This would be quite consistent with Menbailee's AUJ cut, and possibly Galadriel's message to Gandalf could be replaced with flashback-type shots of Radagast telling Gandalf "There is a dark power in Dol Guldur" or words to that effect.

I would also cut the scenes of the Orcs talking to each other in Orcish ("He will find us", "Yes, he will"), and the scene of Gandalf in his cage with the orc army marching out (again, I feel this is PJ trying to be as big as the march from Minas Morgul in ROTK). But I think these have also been discussed in the thread.

Hi Darmok, thanks for the feedback. The Gandalf scenes I have the same feelings as you, but I retained them albeit with some shortening as without them it just looked too abrupt for him to be at Guldur.

The orc speech has been removed completely.

And the cage scene is retained in Fire of Dagon but cut in Into the Fire.

I hope you''ll enjoy these edits if you get a chance to see them. Thanks again! :)

NewSpock said:

kellenpure said:
Snarf snarf!!! Just wait and watch Into the Fire when it is posted, you will love that version!

Hi guys, my appreciation for all your support for these edits! Thank you very much.
[MENTION=27411]kellenpure[/MENTION], how goes it my friend? I've been away for a while, but INTO the Fire is coming next week, officially. Hope all is well :) PS Out of curiosity, what are some fanedits that you would like to see done, in general?

Back
Top Bottom