• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Hobbit: Fire of the Dragon (Desolation of Smaug Recut)

Mainly based on recs from Aztek463, kellenpure, Moe_Syzlak, njvc, I reworked my workprint into a completely different cut--a more "purist" version where even more offending agents are removed. While I applied only minimal changes and touchups to "Fire of the Dragon"--my preferred edit, I had all the equipment in place to produce this "purist" cut and I figured why not and I did.

This new version is very different, follows the book much closer. clocks in right now at about 98 min. Further cuts from the original are almost three mins cut from the barrel scene, the dwarves never enter Erebor, there is no molten gold, the dwarves don't just give up and throw the key away at the doorway, Kili is never injured. It will need work, but here is a preview (sorry vimeo did not let me upload in HD, and these files are compressed to save rendering time so they are not reflective of the final quality)

Note these are scenes from the PURIST version, not the current "Fire" edit.

Any other suggestions for changes? (I don't see any way around Beorn--I want to cut the bear attack, but have a lot of trouble with this as it is a fluid sequence from the chase to Gandalf explaining who he is). Also will need an alternate title than "Purist edition"--open to suggestions!

Thanks guys.

I'll watch these in a bit - maybe start another thread to continue this edit in so you don't lose focus on Fire of the Dragon?

edit: aahh, that barrel scene... SO much better!

Dwarves don't give up - still seems like they do - they turn around to walk down the mountain - the keyhole just shows up faster than theatrical.

While the key scene never bothered me as much as it did others, both scenes are a huge improvement for me. The barrel scene now seems real and not cartoony. Very nice work.

Those edited scenes are outstanding! I agree that the Beorn scene is not easily editable, and I definitely don't have as much an issue with it as other scenes. Maybe someone eventually will find a formula for improvement. Keep up the good work!

Solid11 said:
I'll watch these in a bit - maybe start another thread to continue this edit in so you don't lose focus on Fire of the Dragon?

edit: aahh, that barrel scene... SO much better!

Dwarves don't give up - still seems like they do - they turn around to walk down the mountain - the keyhole just shows up faster than theatrical.

Haha thank you, I will. The Fire of the Dragon cut is completed and uploaded. I'm putting finishing touches on this new cut, which removes a further 22 min. Thanks about the barrel but the real credit for cutting it should go to the guys on the forum here because of all the feedback I got. The 'Don't give up', I kept it like that because of the book. From lotr wikia--"Finding themselves unable to locate the secret door, the company sits down, depressed, on a cliff. Hearing aThrush knocking on a stone, Bilbo looks up just in time to.."
Also, it retains the feel that Bilbo was the only one of the group at that moment to have heart. I think it works ok but will have to see how it flows with the rest.

Thanks man.

Moe_Syzlak said:
While the key scene never bothered me as much as it did others, both scenes are a huge improvement for me. The barrel scene now seems real and not cartoony. Very nice work.

Nice, thanks! I figured this cut would be for you! I haven't decided on a title, but I'm thinking "Into the Fire". This was actually a discarded title for the third film/.

kellenpure said:
Those edited scenes are outstanding! I agree that the Beorn scene is not easily editable, and I definitely don't have as much an issue with it as other scenes. Maybe someone eventually will find a formula for improvement. Keep up the good work!

Thanks man. Adding finishing touches to it now, it'll be ready soon. Hopefully this will be a version Tolkienites will enjoy more than the theatrical cut.

[MENTION=10544]ranger613[/MENTION] - Nice job on the clips! You definitely nailed it with the barrel chase.

Also, it's great to hear that you finished your Fire of the Dragon cut! I'm looking forward to seeing the final version. Just curious, what formats are you releasing in? Just MP4, or are you doing a disc version as well?

No molten gold? You have my interest.

Aztek463 said:
ranger613 - Nice job on the clips! You definitely nailed it with the barrel chase.

Also, it's great to hear that you finished your Fire of the Dragon cut! I'm looking forward to seeing the final version. Just curious, what formats are you releasing in? Just MP4, or are you doing a disc version as well?

Yes! I'll PM you soon. And just mp4 for now, as I don't have a burner...

ssj said:

Thank you, yeah. The no molten gold version will be called "Into the Fire". Will post it up soon

ssj said:
I overlooked this before. This is great. Thanks for doing a version that isn't necessarily your vision or the movie you want to see. can't wait.

kellenpure said:
Keep up the good work!

Moe_Syzlak said:
I overlooked this before. This is great. Thanks for doing a version that isn't necessarily your vision or the movie you want to see. can't wait.

Thanks guys. I'll start a new thread for it later, but for now its called "Into the Fire"-- since it has a different feel from the original, I put together a new opening than the other--to distinguish the two. Sorry the quality is kinda poor but I ran out of Vimeo space. Also, this is a rough cut and I have to color correct it. This video is on Tumblr. Here's the link

Updates--
1. Created new intro (eagles carrying Thorin and co. away from danger/ out of the frying pan, but as Bilbo and Gandalf see the orcs in hot pursuit, they know they're still going 'Into the Fire'--:oops: you get it lol)
2. Cut Kili's line "anything down my trousers"
3. Color corrected the mountain sunset scenes and some night scenes to make the end bleaker.
4. Recut barrel and smaug sequences per recs--no dwarf antics in either. no gold statue etc.
5. I could not find a way to remove the gold sprinkles when Smaug breaks out of the mountain--color correcting seemed the most viable option but is limited by the dark background. So essentially I tried my best to hide the brief golden sprinkle thing by general color correction and brief cutaways to the dwarves who are still outside. The best solution in my mind would be to rotoscope the and color correct just the dragon, as well as digitally erase the sprinkles, but my rotoscoping didn't look good so I abandoned this. However, Smaug looks shiny by himself, and is far less obviously coated in gold in this version.
6. Added disclaimer and special thanks slide at end.
7. I See Fire reinstated as end credits song

[MENTION=10544]ranger613[/MENTION] - Nice. Can't wait to see it! I'll be sure to review it on IFDB once it's posted there. :D

Aztek463 said:
ranger613 - Nice. Can't wait to see it! I'll be sure to review it on IFDB once it's posted there. :D

Thanks man, I appreciate it! It's been approved, just waiting for it to be uploaded to IFDB. I'll be releasing Into the Fire at the same time to give people a choice of their edit..
[MENTION=27411]kellenpure[/MENTION], @Moe_Syzlak, @njvc, check out the new thread for into the fire. Thanks!
http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showt...ire-(A-Purist-Edition-of-Desolation-of-Smaug)

Cheers!

tumblr_n7bwjcM2IJ1tew1ifo1_500.jpg

Hi everyone, the final cut of Fire of the Dragon just went up on IFDB.
The DLC has been submitted to fanedit.info, please PM me if you can't find it.
Leave a review, I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks very much friends

One comment I see pop up a lot in the reviews of this edit is that it's a good sequel to those edits of the first Hobbit movie that mostly remove Azog (such as [MENTION=11329]Menbailee[/MENTION]'s edit). But is it a good sequel to [MENTION=5879]kerr[/MENTION]'s "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Arkenstone Edition"? That is to say, is there anything (or a lack of something) in "Fire of the Dragon" that would create inconsistencies with Kerr's edit?

hbenthow said:
One comment I see pop up a lot in the reviews of this edit is that it's a good sequel to those edits of the first Hobbit movie that mostly remove Azog (such as [MENTION=11329]Menbailee[/MENTION]'s edit). But is it a good sequel to [MENTION=5879]kerr[/MENTION]'s "The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Arkenstone Edition"? That is to say, is there anything (or a lack of something) in "Fire of the Dragon" that would create inconsistencies with Kerr's edit?
Hi, I'm not 100% sure how well it'd mesh with either of those edits, but from what I've seen from his cutlist, I don't see why this wouldn't be a sequel to them-- essentially Azog is minimized (although still seen chasing them at the start and later attacking Gandalf), Radagast is still in. the only thing is Galadriels voice is heard and Gandalf tells Radagast to inform the rest of the council about dol guldur before going in.. If any unexpected journey edit dispensed with the white council, then I can see a continuity error because we wouldn't know who galadriel was, technically. However, that aside, if the original film had radagast and galadriel, then it should flow well in sequence.

All said and done, both those guys are masters, and I can only try to produce a sequel worthy of their edits. I worked hard to produce a solid, distilled version of the theatrical cut, and I hope you'll enjoy it.

as an aside, Into the Fire is the purist edition I developed which makes further cuts to the narrative and will be released soon.

thanks for your time my friend. Cheers!

ranger613 said:
the only thing is Galadriels voice is heard and Gandalf tells Radagast to inform the rest of the council about dol guldur before going in.. If any unexpected journey edit dispensed with the white council, then I can see a continuity error because we wouldn't know who galadriel was, technically. However, that aside, if the original film had radagast and galadriel, then it should flow well in sequence.
The Arkenstone Edition has the White Council and Radagast, so that shouldn't be a problem.

My worry was that since Azog and his backstory feature prominently in the Arkenstone Edition, it would feel (when watching your edit) as if his motivation was suddenly altered or his plotline dropped or altered in a way that creates inconsistencies with the Arkenstone Edition.

hbenthow said:
The Arkenstone Edition has the White Council and Radagast, so that shouldn't be a problem.

My worry was that since Azog and his backstory feature prominently in the Arkenstone Edition, it would feel (when watching your edit) as if his motivation was suddenly altered or his plotline dropped or altered in a way that creates inconsistencies with the Arkenstone Edition.
If that is the case then yes, it would seem like Azog got relegated. I never felt it was a character that was menacing enough to be a major antagonist (his counterpart in Lotr are the Nazgul--as saurons right hand men). As such I cut a majority of the scenes he's in here.

You would be right that this is not a solid sequel to arkenstone edition. It would be more of a sequel to manbailees version.

in any case, both kerr and manbailee I'm sure will be making their own sequels later on, buy in the mean time I hope this version stands as a solid improvement over the theatrical cut.

Back
Top Bottom