• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Hobbit: Fire and Water

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This is part of my Middle Earth fanedits project that I have. For more details check my ideas thread. I have finished my fanedit of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug: Extended Edition called:

The Hobbit: Fire and Water

As for the cutlist, it is below:

-Added some of the Misty Mountains theme throughout the movie.
-Cut Bilbo being tempted by the Ring at midnight.
-Cut Bilbo being tempted by the Ring outside the forest.
-Cut Bilbo almost telling Gandalf about the Ring.
-Cut Bilbo almost losing the Ring and killing a baby spider for it. This isn't Lord of the Rings (yet).
-Cut Orcs sneaking past the Woodland Realm to make their appearance in Barrels Out of Bond a surprise.
-Cut Thrain's ridiculous Wilhelm Scream.
-Cut the eye of Sauron when Bilbo takes off the Ring in Erebor. Now we wonder why Bilbo is affected by the Ring at that moment. In the original, it ruins the surprise that the Ring is Sauron's One Ring in LOTR when watched chronologically.
-Cut Smaug saying that the darkness is coming. How does he know that?
-Cut forges fight. This was the Hobbit equivalent of the Droid Factory from Attack of the Clones in case of silliness. No dwarf enters the mountain except Thorin after Smaug leaves the Mountain in order to tease Thorin' madness for the next movie.
-Cut molten gold. Blergh.
-To make the last two cuts work I had to rearrange some scenes.
-Added Smaug's rampage over Laketown (and his inevitable death) to this movie. I liked the cliffhanger but because I cut the Erebor fight, the movie needed more of Smaug's badassness.
-Moved Gandalf seeing the Dol Guldur Orc army leaving for the mountain to the very end of the movie for a tease for the next movie.

TIME REMOVED: 21 MINUTES
TIME ADDED: 12 MINUTES

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just a reminder, the rules only allow you two ITW/Pending Approval threads at a time. I've lost count of how many projects you have going in this thread, but I'm going to ask you to rename this thread and focus on one edit. Feel free to start an ideas thread if you want to discuss the remaining projects.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alright, The Hobbit: Fire and Water has just been submitted for release and will probably be released on next Monday. If you want to watch this fanedit, please send me a PM.

Very special thanks to [MENTION=25695]CommandBen[/MENTION] for slight color correction to get rid of the green tint, plus for all of his help and support on this project to make it the best looking and sounding edit possible.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Congrats. Would you like to have this thread moved or start a new one? I recommend just having this one moved, given how brief it is.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Congrats. Would you like to have this thread moved or start a new one? I recommend just having this one moved, given how brief it is.

Could you move it, please? I agree with you.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If the Hobbit has to be three films still I would agree with what you decided to do.
It needs to feel like you can watch it before LOTR films then go on to them.
I still prefer the idea of making one long film for the Hobbit though, even if that gets split into to parts in what might seem like an odd split in the middle, so that you would get roughly 2 2 hour parts of about a 4 hour film.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lotrjjw said:
If the Hobbit has to be three films still I would agree with what you decided to do.
It needs to feel like you can watch it before LOTR films then go on to them.
I still prefer the idea of making one long film for the Hobbit though, even if that gets split into to parts in what might seem like an odd split in the middle, so that you would get roughly 2 2 hour parts of about a 4 hour film.

Thank you. I am one of the people who thinks that The Hobbit works in 3 parts just fine, even better than 1 or 2 part(s) because of Gandalf's Necromancer subplot added from the LotR Appendices and the added character development for Legolas thanks to the wonderful Tauriel-Kili-Legolas love triangle (which ends with tragedy in my planned TBotFA edit). These things along with the wonderful adaptation of the original J.R.R. Tolkien classic, in my opinion, makes the Hobbit trilogy more epic and enjoyable to me.

However, there were some very odd decisions made during this trilogy, most made in the first two films. This is the reason I love Kerr's Arkenstone Edition, and inspired by his work, I decided to make fanedits of the rest of the saga, including the Lord of the Rings (though of course, changes to TBotFA, TFotR, TTT and TRotK would be very light compared to AUJ and TDoS).

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Have you seen Kerr's red book edits of LOTR films where he basically follows the books as close as possible, which at times looks slightly disjointed but not bad at all, especially if all parts are watched in order as close together as possible.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lotrjjw said:
Have you seen Kerr's red book edits of LOTR films where he basically follows the books as close as possible, which at times looks slightly disjointed but not bad at all, especially if all parts are watched in order as close together as possible.

I haven't read The Lord of the Rings yet, so I didn't want to watch those edits before reading the original book. So, no. I haven't seen Kerr's Red Book Edits.

lotrjjw

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ah ok no worries do try and read the books and watch his edits, they are a good effort at being close to the books, as they follow the same order of events as the books do, no or very little intercutting ect.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lotrjjw said:
Ah ok no worries do try and read the books and watch his edits, they are a good effort at being close to the books, as they follow the same order of events as the books do, no or very little intercutting ect.

Will do ;)

Top Bottom