• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Hobbit fan edit change spreadsheet

Let's think about how a spreadsheet like this would be used. Most people would want to consult it to figure out which edit they should watch. A small number of more involved people will use it for film criticism or to inform their own edits. In that spirit, the spreadsheet might do well to start with some big overview points, since those can be difficult to convey in a long list of specific cuts. After that, the columns for how particular scenes are handled follow. Something like this:

OVERVIEW
Movies Included
Total Length
Intended Tone
White Council Plot
White Orc Plot
Love Triangle Plot
Radagast Inclusion
Legolas Inclusion
Tauriel Inclusion
Alfrid/Master Inclusion
Extended Edition Use

SPECIFIC SCENES
Prologue/Flashbacks
Chip the Glasses
Battle for Moria Flashback
Radagast in Mirkwood
Troll Battle
Radagast's Rabbit Chase
White Council in Rivendell
Stone Giants
Gollum scene modified
Fifteen Birds in Five Fir Trees
DoS Gandalf/Thorin Prologue
Beorn
Bilbo fights a bug for the ring
Tauriel/Kili in prison
Barrel Chase
Dwarves in Laketown
Gandalf in Dol Guldur
Dwarves Left Behind in Laketown
Orcs & Elves in Laketown
Dwarves Give Up at Erebor
Dwarves Combat Smaug
Black Arrow/Bard's Son & Smaug
White Council battles Nazgul
Thorin's Dragon Sickness
Battle of Five Armies - Battle Scene Running Time
The Master discusses class warfare
Alfrid wears a dress
Thorin/Azog combat

Unbelievably, this is only a start. The top category gets at the primary list of gripes in a bigger sense, whereas the bottom list could still be expanded to include the contentious scenes which editors have handled in different ways.

Welcome back! Any plans to follow up your first excellent Hobbit edit?

I think [MENTION=6348]TV's Frink[/MENTION] did a similar spreadsheet for Star Wars edits.

You should include the name of the faneditor along with the fanedit name.

Neglify said:
You should include the name of the faneditor along with the fanedit name.

Now added. It's open for anyone who has the link to edit, so if anyone else feels something is missing just add it.
(The button to add a new row is the leftmost of the buttons to the upper right. I've added a few more rows.)

In response to TM2YC's query, I've included responses for the Barefoot Edition in the spreadsheet. Yes, this is a completed cut (which I just screened to two dozen people on Sunday), and I should get around to posting a thread for it. It'll go in In the Works just now, since I'll seek some critical technical feedback from the sharp ears in this forum before declaring it truly finished.

Hey guys, great work on this! Thumbs up!

I just wanted to propose a new category: Use of Howard Shore original music

Let me explain: In Kerr's Hobbit Arkenstone Edition, he uses music from the OST of The Hobbit instead of re-using LOTR music like Peter Jackson did.

Very few faneditors do this, but I believe it's an absolute must if we are to re-create the true atmosphere of The Hobbit, instead of using LOTR music which completely ruin the leitmotifs of the themes.

Think you could add it? I sincerely hope that a 3 in 1 hobbit fanedit is created one day and in which music from the hobbit OST replaces LOTR music (I can accept the Ring Theme when Bilbo finds the ring though, because that makes a lot of sense!)

Just added the info for both my Hobbit Edits  :D

L8wrtr's There and Back Again Vol 1 and 2 are included (ahead of release)

Back
Top Bottom