• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Haunting: The Implicit Cut

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Updated April 2024: see here.

--------------------------------------------
OP:

Due to what was probably a slip of the finger, the original discussion thread for The Haunting: Implicit Cut was unfortunately perma deleted.

So, here's a fresh one!

2021-11-08.png

Full details/cut-list etc. at IFDB and my wordpress.

Here are some example clips/comparisons:

Here are some older example clips from when I was working on the edit - some of them may have been tweaked since then:

Here is the poster:

TH - IC IFDB Poster.png

My early attempt at a poster:

TH IC Alt. Poster 1.png

Here are some alternate designs which @ArtisDead kindly made up (included with the edit):

Poster 1
Implicit Cut poster by ArtisDead.jpg
Poster 2
Implicit Cut poster 2 by ArtisDead.jpg
Poster 3
Scribbler3.jpg

Looking forward to hearing people's thoughts on this one. Hoping to get a tweaked "psychological" cut done at some point for @Jrzag42 , keeping things from Eleanor's perspective and allowing for more ambiguity.

Thanks to all who contributed on the previous thread and sorry that your comments are gone! If there was something you shared that I've missed, please feel free to repost it. :)

Last edited:
Judging from the clips alone, your changes have improved this favorite. Can scribble some color into certain places?

No. I just wanted to know if you could scribble some in. šŸ˜

UPDATE (April 2024): The "no monologue" version is now its own dedicated file with additional cuts based on @SeaCom 's feedback in their review. It is labelled "Second Implicit Cut" in the folder. This version is 3 minutes shorter.

Further info:

Seacom rightly pointed out that because I was trying to allow for both "no monologue" and "trimmed monologue" versions, the "no monologue" version had moments where it felt like something was "missing". Some had no issue with this, but revisiting it I can't help but notice it and be bothered by it. So, while the original file remains for those that enjoy it, I have now given the "no monologue" version its own dedicated file, with further trims and cuts to keep the pace feeling natural in spite of the absence of the monologue. I have also removed my title card, based on Ray Danger's feedback.

In short, if you want to watch The Haunting with no monologue whatsoever - please watch "Second Implicit Cut". It's my preferred version. And if you still want to experience the trimmed monologue version, it's still there (just watch the original implicit cut and remember to switch to the secondary audio option).

New cuts since last version:

- 0:48 - removed ā€œimplicit cutā€ sub-title card, based on @Ray Danger's feedback.
- 12:06 - Eleanor doesnā€™t stop to read the letter. We fade straight into the travel montage
- 12:10 - further trims to travel montage
- 14:57 - cut some shots that linger on Eleanorā€™s face
- 15:28 - cut further lingering on Eleanor as she looks up at the house. External shot moved to here to cover gap. Slight tweak to when the score resolves
- 21:08 - fade into Eleanor and Theo exploring the house, instead of from the ceiling shot. Itā€™s a nice shot, but I needed to trim the length of time it takes Eleanor to walk through the hall. Slight rescore and foley to aid transition into Theo slamming the door.
- 22:18 - small trim
- 36:17 - score cue comes in earlier. We fade earlier, instead of lingering on Eleanor as she lays on bed thinking.
- 1:06:39 - this sequence has been recut so that there is something visual to drive toward Eleanorā€™s ā€œStop it!ā€ without her fearful internal monologue
- 1:29:48 - Eleanor stares up at the tower for less time
- 1:30:41 - cut Eleanor dancing towards the staircase (I really like this shot, but itā€™s long and I donā€™t think it works very well without her monologue). Trimmed shot of her looking up at the staircase.
- 1:30:45 - some general trims to a few of these shots to get the pace feeling right to me.
- 1:30:53 - Slight trim to Eleanor climbing stairs and new foley
- 1:32:14 - we linger for less time on Eleanorā€™s face
- 1:40:10 - 1:40:26 - general trims to tighten the car crash and avoid too much lingering on Eleanor

Aaaand.... decided to update the poster as well. My original one looks messy and cluttered, so I thought I'd change it to something that's more in keeping with my Psychological Cut poster:

full

Back
Top Bottom