• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

"The Hanging Tree" a Hunger Games: Mockingjay edit

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Epic Finale Hunger Games Fans Deserve

"The Hanging Tree" is a combination Mockingjay Part 1 and Part 2 edit completely reworked to make the strongest Hunger Games finale possible. Nearly 90 minutes of Hollywood excess has been cut from the original feature while maintaining story continuity and narrative vision.

Key Improvements and Changes:
Improved character performances (Katniss' emotional breakdowns largely cut, Gale relationship moments cut)
Improved narrative including powerful and exciting new beginning and more emotional thought provoking ending
Altered score allowing for new scenes and transitions that would otherwise not be possible including new Hanging Tree track
171 minute runtime (goal was 160 minutes, catching fire runtime was 146 minutes)

Available Formats:

4.3GB 1080p 5.1 Dolby Digital version available to download from Vimeo (you must login to see this option, choose original file then right click to save file)
720p 2.0 Channel Streaming version available to watch instantly on Vimeo (Vimeo forces a downconvert in quality, please rate the 4.3GB version for video/audio quality)

http://https://vimeo.com/161669099[/video]

password is 'mockingjay'

Full Change List:

Mockingjay Part 1 Cutlist
Mockingjay Part 1 original runtime 123 minutes has been reduced to 61 minutes.

The beginning of the movie has been completely changed, I have merged  the track "Remind Her Who The Enemy Is" from the Original Score with the  track "The Hanging Tree" to produce the score for the beginning of the  film.

The film begins with a quote from "The Treaty of the Treason" just like  the original Hunger Games movie did. The quote used for the original  movie was invented for the film. The text was marked as being sourced from The Treaty of the Treason whose text never appeared in the books. The text that I have written to begin this film is:
"From the Treaty of the Treason:"
"And the peace will be a contract.
Each district will supply the Capitol
in return for order and security.
Refusal to work will be an act of
treason punishable by death."
This is a condensed version of President Snow's speech from Mockingjay Part 1 that has been cut in this edit.

The movie then begins with the attack on the Hydroelectric Dam in  District 5 followed by the titles "2 Months Earlier" "District 13"

The movie then begins as normal

The titles for Mockingjay Part 1 have been removed

After Katniss collapses after witnessing the corpses in District 12 the next scene is Katniss awakening from a horror dream

Plutarch's insinuation to President Coin that Katniss is The Mockingjay only when in costume is cut

All scenes concerning Prim's cat have been cut

Coin's speech to District 13 announcing her arrangement with Katniss has been cut

The first interview with Peeta has been inserted after Katniss is shown Cinna's Mockingjay designs

The filming of the first "propo" using the green screen fx has been reduced to a minimum (i.e. there's only one 'take')

The talk about District 8 being a relatively safe place to send Katniss  to film "propos" has been cut so that there is a sense of danger in the  proceeding scenes

Snow's reference to his cut speech has been removed

Katniss hunting with Gale in the woods and Peeta's second interview have been cut completely

Katniss' second trip to District 12, her relationship elements with Gale, and her singing cut completely

The rebel attack in the woods leads directly to Peeta's third interview  where he speaks about the rebel attacks on the grainery and dam.

Peeta is not shown images of Katniss singing during this interview, he betrays the Capitol seemingly of his own accord

The bombing of 13 has many scenes cut including Katniss with the cat and Katniss with Finnick

The power failure during the bombing scene leads directly to Katniss  hiding in the tunnel, the discovery of Snow's roses and the proceeding  "propo" shoot is cut completely

Haymitch tells Katniss that a rescue operation is already underway to  free the victors and this leads immediately to Katniss waiting with  Finnick anxious for the return of the rescue mission volunteers

The Zero Dark Panem sequence is cut completely

Coin's speech that ends Mockingjay Part 1 is cut completely

Mockingjay Part 2 Cutlist
Mockingjay Part 2 original runtime 137 minutes has been reduced to 110 minutes.

The opening scene where Katniss' swolen neck is examined is cut, her injury is much less severe in this edit to allow for a believably faster recovery

Mockingjay Part 2 titles are cut and replaced with a unused shot (reversed) of Peeta struggling against his bonds taken from Part 1

The scene where Coin tells Katniss that she cannot send her to the Capitol has been reworked to indicate that Coin wants to keep Katniss under her thumb where she can be controlled. Some audio adjustments were made to blend this scene with Katniss' second meeting with Coin

The entire sequence where Katniss and Gale travel to district 2, Katniss gets shot, Katniss recovers from her wound in the hospital have been eliminated

The dinner scene at Snow's mansion has been tweaked and now follows Peeta's attack on Katniss. The scene now appears to show Snow speaking of Katniss' death by Peeta's hands instead of by the rebels in district 2

The scene where Katniss speaks with Peeta in the hospital has been cut

Plutarch's mention of Katniss' gunshot wound has been cut

Cressida's annoying "directing" of Katniss' actions have been cut

The scene where Snow is made aware of Katniss' being caught on video alive following the tar trap has been cut along with the first indication that Snow is dying from the poisons in his body. This reveal works much better as a surprise to the viewer at the end of the movie, humanizing him at a time where he has already lost all of his power.

Katniss' self loathing after the death of Finnick has been reduced to a minimum

The scene where Gale and Peeta discuss who Katniss loves is cut. There is no indication in this edit or in the trilogy of movies as a whole that Katniss would have ever ended up with Gale, it was a terribly developed plot device throughout, and has been rightly eliminated.

The idealistic ending where poor CGI and makeup effects are used to age up Katniss and make her look more like her mother has been eliminated completely. I accept that this change will be hard to accept by purist followers of the book. But I emplore you to see this movie for what it is, a gritty ugly war movie. A thought provoking tender moment of 2 characters learning to live with the atrocities they've experienced is much more satisfying than a "everything worked out great in the end" finale.

The ending has been rescored to accomodate this change

The Hanging Tree
A Jerick Fan Edit
has been added to the end credits

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bump, since we were a bit slow to approve this thread.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This week I have finished my final cut of Mockingjay Part 1. The Original Score for the movie has been vital in making certain changes work and the results are extremely convincing.

This is my final cutlist for Mockingjay Part 1, there have been several changes to my original plans as I've gone through revisions:

Mockingjay Part 1 cutlist
Mockingjay Part 1 original runtime 123 minutes has been reduced to 61 minutes.

The beginning of the movie has been completely changed, I have merged the track "Remind Her Who The Enemy Is" from the Original Score with the track "The Hanging Tree" to produce the sound for the beginning of the film.

The film begins with a quote from "The Treaty of the Treason" just like the original Hunger Games movie did. The quote used for the original movie was invented for the film as the text of the treaty never appeared in the books. The text that I have written to begin Mockingjay with is:
"From the Treaty of the Treason:"
"And the peace will be a contract.
Each district will supply the Capitol
in return for order and security.
Refusal to work will be an act of
treason punishable by death."
This is a condensed version of President Snow's speech from Mockingjay Part 1 that has been cut in this edit.

The movie then begins with the attack on the Hydroelectric Dam in District 5 followed by the titles "2 Months Earlier" "District 13"

The movie then begins as normal

The titles for Mockingjay Part 1 have been removed

After Katniss collapses after witnessing the corpses in District 12 the next scene is Katniss awakening from a horror dream

Plutarch's insinuation to President Coin that Katniss is The Mockingjay only when in costume is cut

All scenes concerning Prim's cat have been cut

Coin's speech to District 13 announcing her arrangement with Katniss has been cut

The first interview with Peeta has been inserted after Katniss is shown Cinna's Mockingjay designs

The filming of the first "propo" using the green screen fx has been reduced to a minimum (i.e. there's only one 'take')

The talk about District 8 being a relatively safe place to send Katniss to film "propos" has been cut so that there is a sense of danger in the proceeding scenes

Snow's reference to his cut speech has been removed

Katniss hunting with Gale in the woods and Peeta's second interview have been cut completely

Katniss' second trip to District 12, her relationship elements with Gale, and her singing cut completely

The rebel attack in the woods leads directly to Peeta's third interview where he speaks about the rebel attacks on the grainery and dam.

Peeta is not shown images of Katniss singing during this interview, he betrays the Capitol seemingly of his own accord

The bombing of 13 has many scenes cut including Katniss with the cat and Katniss with Finnick

The power failure during the bombing scene leads directly to Katniss hiding in the tunnel, the discovery of Snow's roses and the proceeding "propo" shoot is cut completely

Haymitch tells Katniss that a rescue operation is already underway to free the victors and this leads immediately to Katniss waiting with Finnick anxious for the return of the rescue mission volunteers

The Zero Dark Panem sequence is cut completely

Coin's speech that ends Mockingjay Part 1 is cut completely

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The finished 61 minute edit of Mockingjay Part 1 can now be viewed on Vimeo if anyone is interested in critiquing the work that has been completed thus far. Send me a PM for the link.

Mockingjay Part 2 will be released in a few weeks at retail, and I hope to have the final combined edit completed in late April or early May.

If anyone would like to create the Blu-ray art for "The Hanging Tree" I will gladly accept submissions and give you credit in the final edit. Just let me know.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alright so I'm all but finished with the final draft of this edit and I can say with no hesitation that it is the best work I've ever done. I can't wait to release it into the world.

However I'm having one problem that I hope someone out there can help me correct. The DVDFab Cinavia Removal is not working on Mockingjay Part 1 resulting in an interruption of the movie when played on a standard Bluray player. Supposedly this movie is supported for Cinavia removal by DVDFab but it's possible that my copy is a peculiar SKU that doesn't conform to the removal.

Is there anyone out there with a copy of Mockingjay Part 1 Bluray and a copy of DVDFab that can check if their disk can be copied to remove Cinavia? If you have both of these products please contact me and I'll show you what to do to test it.

THANKS!

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
How long has DVDFab been able to remove Cinavia?  That is news to me. I thought that was still uncracked?

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
How long has DVDFab been able to remove Cinavia?  That is news to me. I thought that was still uncracked?

They've been working on it for a while, the latest versions can crack many but not all Cinavia Blurays. You can find a list on their forum. It only works with Bluray copy and does not work at all with DVD.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just picked up my Part 2 Blu-ray and I'm ready for this fanedit!

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jerick said:
ThrowgnCpr said:

They've been working on it for a while, the latest versions can crack many but not all Cinavia Blurays. You can find a list on their forum. It only works with Bluray copy and does not work at all with DVD.

Do you mean that it rip Cinavia blu-rays or that it REMOVES the Cinavia? I've never seen a method that doesn't sound like shit due to the frequency they embed the tones. But if you just mean getting a rip of a Cinavia BD, MakeMKV or pretty much most others can do it (it'll just still have the tones embedded). I used to worry about Cinavia but it doesn't really affect me. I rolled my Sony player back to pre-Cinavia firmware and have no problems. I learned about all this stuff when I edited a Cinavia-enabled movie (Insidious 2) but did not (couldn't) strip it. But nobody has noticed at all because pretty much nobody downloads the BD versions of edits and you can play Cinavia mp4s through computer, Xbox, TV USB, etc. I think only PS4 folks even care about Cinavia, for the most part. But they could put the edit on a USB and watch it on their TV no problem. I guess I'm taking the long route to say that I don't think Cinavia is something that must be removed as it doesn't affect the way most people watch fanedits, though if it could be done cleanly then great.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
I guess I'm taking the long route to say that I don't think Cinavia is something that must be removed as it doesn't affect the way most people watch fanedits, though if it could be done cleanly then great.

Cinavia pisses me off because I watch all my movies through a Plex media server in my house streaming to a PS3. I go out of my way to remove it when possible.

And I really do mean that DVDFab will remove it entirely with no adverse affects created in the sound. The team at DVDFab writes a custom watermark removal code for as many Cinavia bluray releases as they can get to. It has to be custom because the watermark is different on every disk, it simply reverses the watermarking process producing perfect audio. I encourage you to give a try next time you need a Cinavia free bluray. It works phenomenally on Mockingjay Part 2 and is supposed to work on Part 1 as well but I fear the SKU on my bluray copy is unsupported.

Anyone else that has Mockingjay Part 1 on Blu and DVDFab would really be helping me out if they could send me a message. I know there must be one of you fine editors out there with it.

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just got word from the DVDFab support staff that Cinavia removal is not yet supported on Mockingjay Part 1 so I will be releasing this edit with Cinavia intact and will plan to fix it later when Cinavia removal is supported.

The final cutlist for Mockingjay Part 2 has been added to the OP

Mockingjay Part 2 original runtime 137 minutes has been reduced to 110 minutes.

The opening scene where Katniss' swolen neck is examined is cut, her injury is much less severe in this edit to allow for a believably faster recovery

Mockingjay Part 2 titles are cut and replaced with a unused shot (reversed) of Peeta struggling against his bonds taken from Part 1

The scene where Coin tells Katniss that she cannot send her to the Capitol has been reworked to indicate that Coin wants to keep Katniss under her thumb where she can be controlled. Some audio adjustments were made to blend this scene with Katniss' second meeting with Coin

The entire sequence where Katniss and Gale travel to district 2, Katniss gets shot, Katniss recovers from her wound in the hospital have been eliminated

The dinner scene at Snow's mansion has been tweaked and now follows Peeta's attack on Katniss. The scene now appears to show Snow speaking of Katniss' death by Peeta's hands instead of by the rebels in district 2

The scene where Katniss speaks with Peeta in the hospital has been cut

Plutarch's mention of Katniss' gunshot wound has been cut

Cressida's annoying "directing" of Katniss' actions have been cut

The scene where Snow is made aware of Katniss' being caught on video alive following the tar trap has been cut along with the first indication that Snow is dying from the poisons in his body. This reveal works much better as a surprise to the viewer at the end of the movie, humanizing him at a time where he has already lost all of his power.

Katniss' self loathing after the death of Finnick has been reduced to a minimum

The scene where Gale and Peeta discuss who Katniss loves is cut. There is no indication in this edit or in the trilogy of movies as a whole that Katniss would have ever ended up with Gale, it was a terribly developed plot device throughout, and has been rightly eliminated.

The idealistic ending where poor CGI and makeup effects are used to age up Katniss and make her look more like her mother has been eliminated completely. I accept that this change will be hard to accept by purist followers of the book. But I emplore you to see this movie for what it is, a gritty ugly war movie. A thought provoking tender moment of 2 characters learning to live with the atrocities they've experienced is much more satisfying than a "everything worked out great in the end" finale.

The ending has been rescored to accomodate this change

The Hanging Tree
A Jerick Fan Edit
has been added to the end credits

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This edit is now available, bear in mind that if you choose to stream the movie from Vimeo, it will be streamed with 2 channel audio. The edit boasts an immersive 5.1 Dolby Digital experience when you download the original 4.3GB file. Send me a pm if you need dl instructions.

The password is 'mockingjay'

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Fantastic! much more exciting than that bore fest that was the theatrical version!

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Why haven't I noticed before that this edit was in the work? I've worked now for six weeks on part 1 and for three weeks on part 2 of mockingjay to form them into a single movie of under 3 hours, thinking I'm the only one :D.

At least judging from your changes-text-listing, my edit is quite a bit different (if not I would keep my edit private), so that there can be two of them:

There is no flashback, there is the cat (serves as an analogy for human kindness in a world of war), Katniss sings, and the happy-ending with her and the baby is here. The ending with Katniss shooting her arrow at the end is a bit different (for more emotional impact), and the idea that Coin would actually suggest to have a new hunger games is gone here.

Should take a few weeks to finish, preview and polish.

Congratulations on finishing, jerick!  :)

jerick

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
NewSpock said:
Why haven't I noticed before that this edit was in the work? I've worked now for six weeks on part 1 and for three weeks on part 2 of mockingjay to form them into a single movie of under 3 hours, thinking I'm the only one :D.

At least judging from your changes-text-listing, my edit is quite a bit different (if not I would keep my edit private), so that there can be two of them:

There is no flashback, there is the cat (serves as an analogy for human kindness in a world of war), Katniss sings, and the happy-ending with her and the baby is here. The ending with Katniss shooting her arrow at the end is a bit different (for more emotional impact), and the idea that Coin would actually suggest to have a new hunger games is gone here.

Should take a few weeks to finish, preview and polish.

Congratulations on finishing, jerick!  :)

Yeah this has been in the works for over a year. A lot of time spent getting it just right.

Yours sounds quite different I'm interested in seeing how it turns out.

NewSpock

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jerick said:
Yeah this has been in the works for over a year. A lot of time spent getting it just right.

Yours sounds quite different I'm interested in seeing how it turns out.

Thanks, looking forward to watch your edit,  as soon as I've completed my version of it. :)

brettd92

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nice, I've been looking forward to seeing an edit on this. Can't wait to see it this weekend. :)

Top Bottom