• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Handmaiden: Alternate Extended Cut

ParanoidAndroid

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Park Chan-wook's period thriller exists in two forms, the 144-minute theatrical and 168-minute extended cuts. Apart from the added material in the longer version some scenes are rearranged, meaning that the backstory of the eponymous character is shown seventeen minutes later (shrouding her actions in mystery during this time), and several flashbacks previously dotted throughout the first act are now gathered together.

I personally prefer the approach of the theatrical cut but also like the additional footage of the extended cut, this edit mostly just rearranges the first 44 minutes of the latter to match the former. A few segments of theatrical cut footage are used to smoothly bridge over the re-rearrangements as well as restore some lost music and (spoiling in the case of the extended cut) voiceovers.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have the AE box set on the shelf but only watched the extended cut when i purchased it a few years back. it maybe time to delve back into the film and watch the theatrical. I must admit i thought it was just an extended version and didn't incorporate rearranged scenes. I am now intrigued.

kidjupiter92

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just bought the CAE boxset recently and saw the Extended Cut for the first time a couple of days ago. I had almost started doing this same thing, but I'm glad to see someone had the same idea and executed it! I'd certainly like to see this edit.

Last edited:
Top Bottom