• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Hand of the King (Game of Thrones Season 1 Edit)

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tagline: The North Remembers
Original Movie Title: Game of Thrones (television series)
Genre: Fantasy
Fanedit Type: FanMix
Original Release Date: 2011
Original Running Time: 550 minutes
Fanedit Running Time: 103 minutes
Time Cut: 447 minutes
Time Added: 2 minutes
Available in HD? Yes

Brief Synopsis: This is an edit of Game of Thrones Season 1 focused on the Eddard Stark.
Intention: To create a feature length narrative following Lord Eddard Stark becoming the Hand of the King. We don't know what is going on with the Lannisters or what happened to Jon Arryn until the end of the second act.
Other Sources: Game of Thrones Season 3, Game of Thrones Season 1 OST, Game of Thrones Season 3 OST

Cuts and Additions:
Rickon is gone, Jon Snow is gone, Bran is gone, Tyrion is gone, nothing in Essos (no Dany) or the Wall, Cat and Robb get a conclusion to their season arcs.

Here's the scene blocking (SPOILER):

Credit sequence over animated images of Robert killing Rhaegar Targaryen and the sacking of King's Landing, ending with him and his Hand, Jon Arryn.
Jaime and Cersei discuss the death of the Hand.
Catelyn tells Ned that Jon Arryn has died.
The King arrives in the North, presents the offer. They feast in celebration. That night Ned and Cat receive the letter from Cat's sister about the Lannisters, then Ned and the King leave for King's Landing the next day.
Jaime Lannister welcomes Ned to the capital.
Small council meets.
Cersei and Joffrey discuss enemies.
Joffrey gives Sansa the necklace.
Ned talks to Arya about swordfighting.
The dancing master teaches her a thing or two.
30 MINUTE MARK
Ned learns of Jon Arryn's last days from Pycelle and gets the book.
Littlefinger tells Ned about Ser Hugh and the armorer.
Ser Hugh refuses to talk to Ned's captain. (I thought about cutting this part because he just dies but I think it establishes the danger around these questions and cements Littlefinger on Ned's good side, which is important later. It develops a web around the old Hand's death with Varys, Littlefinger et al)
Ned meets Gendry.
Cersei issues Ned a word of warning.
Ser Hugh's untimely end.
Varys trusts Ned and tells him of the Tears of Lys (spelling?)
Ned meets another bastard.
Jaime threatens Ned (Tyrion is gone so the motivation is now different. He's been adversarial since they met and it should seem surprising. When we later learn that he is at the heart of the questions being asked it makes perfect sense (I hope!))
Syrio teaches Arya the water dance and about the one god, death. "Not today."
Ned wakes up and King Robert forces an uneasy truce between Cersei and Ned.
Ned wants the girls out of King's Landing. Sansa brings up hair color inadvertently...
Ned reads about the Baratheon line in the book.
The King goes on a boar hunt.
Ned confronts Cersei.
ONE HOUR MARK
Robert's deathbed.
Renley proposes swift action.
Littlefinger assures Ned.
King Joffrey calls Ned to court.
Ned is betrayed.
The First Sword of Braavos does not run.
Cersei pleads for mercy.
Varys visits Ned in the dungeon. He tells him Robb marches south.
Robb arrives at the towers. They begin a dinner feast.
The beheading of Ned Stark at the statue of Baleor and the Red Wedding are intercut in different pieces so both climax at the same time.
Yuren takes Arya with him. A glimmer of hope.
Short credits.
Mid-credits scene.
End credits.

COVERS:
Hand%20of%20the%20King%20bluray%20cover1.jpg

Hand%20of%20the%20King%20DVD%20cover1.jpg
TRAILER:

I searched "Game of Thrones" and there was nothing relating to the show on the whole first page of results. I started work on this and when posting this thread found out about a similar idea that looks abandoned. So I must give cedit to Sunarep (http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showthread.php?9182-Game-of-Thrones-as-a-movie&highlight=game+thrones) and geminigod (http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showthread.php?9715-Game-Of-Thrones-The-Ned-Stark-Cut) as they have thought of this first.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The title kinda evokes a dodgy true-life made for TV movie :D. Although 'Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story' is freakin' amazing, so forget what I just said. Also Winter isn't coming? This is a season 1 edit and were onto season 5 with no winter.

What about...?

Hand of the King: The Rise and Fall of Ned Stark

or just 'The Rise and Fall of Ned Stark'

In the shadow of the Iron Throne

Ned Stark: Hand of the King

etc, that kind of thing. Just my 2 cents.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Point taken. I wanted to use the Stark family words but using 'Hand of the King' makes sense. It is pretty much what the movie's about. :)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
I wanted to use the Stark family words

Given your proposed plot changes, how about 'The Rise and Fall of House Stark'

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Forgot to mention, regarding Tyrion:

Lysa throws Tyrion through the moon door, which is what prompts the Lannisters to murder Ned, Catelyn and Robb.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TM2YC, you are a maestro. That title is great and I am going to use it. Thanks!

Brumous

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"The Starks of Winterfell: Losing Hand"

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've got to hand it you, Brumous. Well played.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've got my first rough cut with all of my proposed changes. It's 2 hours 49 minutes, including credits and two post-credits scenes. I think I'll be trimming some Walder Frey stuff further but that should be close to the final run time.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cover:

ned%20stark%20cover.jpg

The edit will be done tomorrow. Just putting the finishing touches on the credits. Then I have to figure out the rules (I am a first time editor with a submission pending) and see whether I submit this to the Academy as well or wait to release it.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I came here thinking someone was going to do a completely different, never before attempted 'Blue Skies on Mars'-style fanedit of the Iron Man Trilogy, but I was sorely mistaken :p

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
thecuddlyninja said:
The edit will be done tomorrow. Just putting the finishing touches on the credits. Then I have to figure out the rules (I am a first time editor with a submission pending) and see whether I submit this to the Academy as well or wait to release it.

The rules allow you to have two submissions as a new editor.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frink, thank you for the info.

Kal-El, ideas, ideas...:-D

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have a hard time getting a feel for what the edit will be like from the trailer but I'm still looking forward to the finished product.

Side note: was the background music sped up or am I remembering the original wrong?

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The trailer is more of a typical trailer than showing what I did. Maybe I should make something like that. The music wasn't sped up, but it was an all cello cover of the song, and I think it is played slightly quicker. If you're interested in checking it out while it's pending Academy approval, just shoot me a PM.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I would take you up on that but I'm going to be super busy over the next couple of weeks so the final release will probably be ready before I get time to watch it anyway.

thecuddlyninja

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
With a good idea from asterixmeagol and some inspiration from That One Guy who did an awesome Berandal trailer, I've put together another trailer with more focus on what I changed and what it's about. Password is fanedit.org

hasmak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Now you've got me interested :lol:
Will definitely watch this edit

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Am I the only one who keeps thinking this is an Iron Man edit?

Top Bottom