• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Goonies - The Inferno TV Composite

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
81rdlS7.png

Another extended edition, this one tackling the 80s classic, Goonies. An extended cut aired on TV in the 80s, and hasn't been released since in full. The DVD deleted scenes included portions of these scenes, but they weren't 100% complete as they were missing a little bit of footage. The TV cut did have the complete scenes though, and has been used here. I got my hands on a recording of the TV cut, and have done my best to integrate the VHS footage into the DVD deleted scene and then into the Blu-Ray. The entire film has been cropped to 1.78:1 as to include the 1.33:1 scene without needing to crop it to 25% of its size for 2.35:1. I might look into doing something something similar to the Jaws 2 Integral Edition, and present the film in widescreen where possible and pillar boxed where it needs to.

ADDITIONS
- Added the Goonies stopping at a shop right after leaving the house, and introducing Troy and Andy a little earlier
- Added the Goonies talking outside the Fratelli's hideout about the location, and Data showing off a gadget or two
- Added a giant octopus attacking the Goonies as they approach One Eyed Willie's ship
- Added Sloth and Chunk talking about Sloth's uniqueness as they traverse the tunnels

Theatrical - 1:53:55
Inferno TV Composite - 2:01:37

Here's the shop scene, which uses the BR, DVD and VHS recording. The VHS footage is noticable, but I've done my best to fit it all in 

Special thanks to jdlc83bkny for sharing the VHS recording 

qTv6pkd.png

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's a fun trip down memory-lane. :)

Yeah, the VHS footage has terrible picture quality in comparison. And I watched the clip on my computer, not even a big screen. But the extra narrative is engaging and informative. I wonder why they cut it. Anyway, I'll look forward to watch this extended VHS+ edition on a small screen. Then any jumps in picture quality won't be so obvious.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lapis molari said:
That's a fun trip down memory-lane. :)

Yeah, the VHS footage has terrible picture quality in comparison. And I watched the clip on my computer, not even a big screen. But the extra narrative is engaging and informative. I wonder why they cut it. Anyway, I'll look forward to watch this extended VHS+ edition on a small screen. Then any jumps in picture quality won't be so obvious.

While it's not the best around, it was the only way to get the kids out of the shop as for some reason the DVD cuts the end of the scene off. It's not the best quality at all, but it works kinda. I prefer this as Troy just kind of appears later on and knows the kids and has a nickname for them despite being the first time they met (on film). Establishes his rich kid persona early too.

The DVD footage worked a lot better, I tried some upscaling stuff with a program, and I have to say it fared pretty well in fixing the compressed file.

http://www.framecompare.com/image-compare/screenshotcomparison/9FC2FNNU

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a look at the shifting AR in practice, not awful but its something

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:

Maybe they'll include better quality and full deleted scenes in the Goonies 4K being released in a couple of weeks.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Last Impressions said:
Maybe they'll include better quality and full deleted scenes in the Goonies 4K being released in a couple of weeks.

I'd like to hope, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. I've only ever seen one Blu-Ray actually do an update of the deleted scenes from the DVD (BTTF) and none other since. And taking into account they're still recycling the same bonuses from the last blu-ray, and the DVD before that, I don't think they'll use anything but that.

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Great to see this one is in the works; this is a great movie as it stands IMHO.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've got a preview cut up, if anyone would like to provide feedback if needed in any spots

iridium_ionizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Every kid in the 1980's was like, "Where was the octopus?" after Data mentioned it at the end. It was even included in a kid's storybook adaptation of the movie.

hothstation

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:
I've got a preview cut up, if anyone would like to provide feedback if needed in any spots

I will take a look if you want to send me a link, sir.

SilverWook

Reaction score
Trophy Points
iridium_ionizer said:
Every kid in the 1980's was like, "Where was the octopus?" after Data mentioned it at the end. It was even included in a kid's storybook adaptation of the movie.

Not to mention the music video for "Eight Arms To Hold You" off the soundtrack album tied into the octopus scene.

iridium_ionizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
SilverWook said:
Not to mention the music video for "Eight Arms To Hold You" off the soundtrack album tied into the octopus scene.

Hey, thanks for reminding me again that I have nostalgia-filtered my recollections of the overall quality of 1980's music.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Has anyone got another VHS recording of the TV cut? Specifically the shop scene as the recording I’ve got at the moment is terrible quality and is blown out. The excellent Ridgeshark was helping me upscale it with the same process he did for his own Jaws edit and my current copy isn't the best. If anyone has a different recording, let me know.

Nexus76

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Another of my fav movies growing up. I never understood why these cuts where taken out of the film as all have context to the main film,i know Richard Donnar thought the octopus looked lame so that is why that got cut from the film but the others added to the story.
Best kids adventure film ever.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wow! I am super excited for this!

I never saw the Disney Channel cut of the film, so I didn't see any of the extra scenes at the time. When I did see the extra scenes on the DVD from 2001, I was utterly baffled at how the scene in the shop gets cut off before its resolution. I've been wondering for 19 YEARS how the scene re-integrated with the rest of the movie. So you've already done a huge favor by allowing me to see this footage. Thank you! :) 

Even if the film is a bit grainy, it's worth it to include the extra scenes. I agree with Richard Donner that the octopus scene is really cheesy, but since Data directly mentions the octopus in the final scene, it's still baffling that it was cut.

It's an already terrific movie, and adding extra scenes makes for a natural fan edit. I could never tackle it myself because I didn't have the extra bit of the shop scene or even know how to go about getting it. I'm glad you found it, and I look forward to the completed edit!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can I suggest a possible workflow for upscaling those scenes?

Free Android app Remini upscales still images and tries to add detail to faces specifically. It doesn't always work well, but when it does it's amazing. The free functionality caps at five images per week, so take that into account. It will try to find and upscale as many faces as it can in the given images.

Free video manipulation tool Ebsynth takes source video as a short sequence of still frames and a small (or large, but that kinda defeats the point) series of altered frames as keyframes and tries to apply the alteration's style to the surrounding frames.

This would have to be done one shot at a time. But that means it would be quick to test with one shot.

Workflow would go like this:
From your timeline, export a whole shot as an image sequence, and look through the files to copy(don't cut) up to five grabs of some frames that would be good keyframes, (usually right before, during, and after sudden movement), then paste the keyframe copies into their own folder for reference. Get the keyframes onto your phone, run them through Remini, get them back onto the desktop. Run the whole image sequence through Ebsynth with the keyframes set, it should be able to trick Ebsynth into thinking the upscaled detail is the style alteration. Might work, if you're interested in trying

Similarly, Photoshop has a useful "Preserve Detail 2.0" filter for resizing that functions impressively as an all around upscaler, with a slider control that lets you balance between more artifacts but more detail and more smoothness but more smeared out detail. This could provide an alternative option if the Remini keyframes don't meet expectations. You could do this to some keyframes for Ebsynth, or to all the frames leaving Ebsynth out, or After Effects has this feature for resizing video if you have access to that software.

How many shots/scenes are of noticeably lower quality approximately?

xloserx

Reaction score
Trophy Points
How far along did this project get? Any way to see what was done with the project so far?

Top Bottom