• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

the good tools --> for video editing

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yeah... if you're wanting anything more... i'd go with Vegas Movie Studio.... also includes dvd architect studio.... can't go wrong with that.

Delpheas

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm using VMS to finish Caspian, Womble worked fine for Stuart Little and Wardrobe, but I've needed to do more with Caspian than Womble can handle.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm trying out the new version of Kdenlive on Ubuntu Linux now. It's capable of importing MKVs, but appears to need a powerful computer (I'm using a laptop).

lewis886

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
that looks like a pretty cool video editor, ghostcut... you'll have to let us know how it works.... though i admit, my first question was "what the heck is it?" lol had to look it up to find out what in the world it was...

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
my theory goes like this:
If the final product is going to be mpeg 2 and my sources are mpeg2 why would I want to then waste time converting to an avi (with possibly artifacts being introduced because of it) to only go back to the type of source file format I started with?

In many of my cases I edit what I have to with womble. However for those special scenes that I need to use a Pro app (like Vegas) it is stupid to input your whole film. I just edit whatever clip is needed (in womble) for that occasion by itself and after womble's export, I then input this short clip in Vegas (or whatever program) . In this respect I am using the higher priced apps to do the work that I cannot accomplish with womble but only for the scenes where it is needed and not the whole film. I then (using debug frame serve) serve it over to tmpg and making sure I encode it in the same format as my source files. This way not only does it save space and time but skips the whole avi creation method as well

In the end I can take those special clips after encoding is done and drop them in the womble timeline so it can give me one full mpg file without re-encoding anything and having the effects that I needed

Likewise if you do have womble encode for you keep it's encoding down to a minimum. Let us say you have a 10 min clip and you want the video to fade out. Womble will encode the entire clip of where it was marked in and out (if other clips exist on the timeline). No way in hell would I let womble encode a 10 min clip for a 20 second fade. To fix this do this: go about one second before the fade would begin and hit the split clip option and one second after the fade would be over and split the clip again. Now your 20 second video fade is a clip of it's own. Letting womble encode a 20 second clip is fine and works much better than letting this thing encode a 10 min clip for the same effect. Just make sure you have womble set to "best" under the video encoding option output

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tranzor said:
my theory goes like this:
If the final product is going to be mpeg 2 and my sources are mpeg2 why would I want to then waste time converting to an avi (with possibly artifacts being introduced because of it) to only go back to the type of source file format I started with?

Well, because mpg2 is a compressed format, and really not good for editing. Its hard to get frame accurate, among other problems. If you are doing a simple cut and/or reorder, then the womble (with original mpg2) is probably sufficient for you. But at least in my experience, this is not the case. And there are no artifacts or loss if you use a lossless or uncompressed AVI.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I know many people swear by Vegas (and rightly so) but I still do not like the program that much. Even with 4 gigs ram on an intel core 2 duo At 3.16 ghz it still kind of works clunky most of the time

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well, me neither, but I still consider it to be the best tool for the job (at the moment). Kdenlive is promising though.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ghostcut said:
well, me neither, but I still consider it to be the best tool for the job (at the moment). Kdenlive is promising though.

What are the downsides of Kdenlive? It's looks impressive and capable enough, and it's free. Is it just that it is relatively new and unproven software?

EDIT: Ah, it's not for Windows! -_- I guess that's it.

zeppelinrox

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well, dual booting with ubuntu as a second OS is a valid option...

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Out of interest, has anyone tried using Edit Studio Pro? (ES6) It's by the same people who do DVD Lab Pro.

I was contemplating buying DVD Lab Pro - as I was only using the trial for my last edit - and I saw it on their homepage. As DVD Lab Pro is supposed to be the best authoring tool, and it's rather expensive, I was wondering if it was worth my while getting the package deal.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
well, it's a pretty cheap one... if it does a good job then it sure is worth a recommendation. Pros I see: can edit mpg files. Supports frameserving. Cons: no mentioning of ac-3, especially not surround sound.

steelio2006

Reaction score
Trophy Points
thanks for posting this thread. it helps people that are just starting out get an idea of how much $ it'll cost to invest for these kind of projects. I know for one, I'm gonna attempt to use freeware as a rough cut for my own personal collection so that i can have an idea of the pacing and what not. so the Vegas is the way to go for around $50. awesome. thanks again.

Kevinicus

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As for Vegas Pro, I've had no difficulties with it handling mpg files or surround sound.

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think HCenc/HCgui should be added in the MPEG2 encoding section. In all serious tests and discussions over the last few years, it performs as well as CCE and TMPG, and it's free. I've tried it quite a lot myself, and at high bitrates I couldn't differentiate at all between the lossless .avi and the HC-compressed .m2v file. HC is also supposed to beat CCE hands down at low bitrates (although I don't have first-hand experience with that).

Also, MeGUI should be the recommended choice for xvid or h264 preview file purposes. It features a solid ffmpeg base and some great avisynth tools (deinterlacing/-combing, anamorphic flags and the like). As a nice bonus it's even pretty intuitive compared to the Byzantine mazes that are most open source windows video tools, like HCenc, Besweet or Avanti.

Dethryl

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This thread is a couple of years old, so I've got a question for the old hands: what's the best thing around? I'm looking at Womble and Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum. Is there something else you'd recommend?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
not much has changed in the last couple years. just newer versions. I would recommend not getting womble. Unless all you want to do is create simple cuts, the software is pretty useless, IMO.

Delpheas

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was wondering what the best program would be to add subtitles? I need to make some for my series of edits

Top Bottom