• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

the good tools --> for video editing

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
All good editing applications are non-linear. (Except possibly VirtualDub, which isn't really an editing application, but more of a conversion and effects tool).

VSDC looks a lot better than most of the crap out there, but the sad fact is that there's no good and free Windows non-linear editor. OpenShot will probably take the throne once it's released on Windows in a month or two, but it's not out yet. (For the moment it's Linux-only.)

B

BioHuntix

Yeah I guess your right, but VSDC is strange, as it puts every video on it's own lane. I'm not liking the thought of scrolling up and down to find the right clip, and then to sync the hole mess. Also I get my mind blown every time I try to use it when I have to come to terms with the reality that there indeed is no play button on the main grid, that you have to push the preveiw movie button, what alien design is that.

I will be looking into getting some real software some day though, my old software won't work on Win7 :*(

EddieDean

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've produced a few edits using Camtasia, which I had available through work, but I've found it only outputs to 25FPS, which means the video looks jerky on a big screen, since all my sources are 23.98 (or 23.975 rounded up, I guess?)

I've produced all of my edits so far using just:
* Video fade-in and out
* Audio fade-in and out
* Controlling clip playback speed
* Reversing video (though this can be done for free online)
* .mp3 or .flac audio
* .png images
* .mp4 video

so that's all I need - what's the best cheap editing software which can handle that but edit to 23.975fps?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
EddieDean said:
I've produced a few edits using Camtasia, which I had available through work, but I've found it only outputs to 25FPS, which means the video looks jerky on a big screen, since all my sources are 23.98 (or 23.975 rounded up, I guess?)

* Video fade-in and out
* Audio fade-in and out
* .mp3 or .flac audio
* .png images
* .mp4 video

so that's all I need - what's the best cheap editing software which can handle that but edit to 23.975fps?

A lot of editors here like Vegas, which used to be a Sony program but it's now maintained and owned by Magix. You can find deals for it occasionally.

I like Adobe Premiere, but I have a subscription to CC through my work.

There's a thread on this subforum with free software listed, and DaVinci Resolve and Lightworks seem to be the most popular free options.

All of these should have plenty of YouTube reviews and tutorials and comparisons so you can make a decision which is best for you.

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
EddieDean said:

* Video fade-in and out
* Audio fade-in and out
* .mp3 or .flac audio
* .png images
* .mp4 video

I can vouch for Lightworks. It's free and can handle a wide variety of frame rates. I've been using version 14.5 for a little over a month. Its only drawback is that's it's limited to 720p exports unless you pay monthly. Once I finish my two current edits I plan to trial a few other programmes before deciding which to pay for.​

Top Bottom