• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

the good tools --> for video editing

theslime

Reaction score
Trophy Points
AegiSub all the way. Free and open source and cross-platform (works on Windows, OSX and all Linuxes). Support for all kinds of weirdness you can put in a subtitle file, including karaoke subs and manga subs. It takes a little getting used to, but you'll be glad you tried once you realise that it will do exactly what you want. Easy monitoring of audio and video sync, styling, etc - it's all there

JetSetWilly

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a question: I want to put a character from one film into another. What kind of program would be better for that (I'm only asking because I have an idea for another edit)?

booshman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JetSetWilly said:
Here's a question: I want to put a character from one film into another. What kind of program would be better for that (I'm only asking because I have an idea for another edit)?

I'd use After Effects for this.

FantasyWorkshop

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am all about getting the best software for the cheapest price, nothing wrong with bargain hunting. I bought Sony Movie Studio Platinum 9 for only around $35 off Ebay. As already mentioned, new software is always coming out, so the more obsolete the previous versions become, & the cheaper they get. So I look forward to seeing the 1st versions of Adobe Premier or Afetr Effects drop down to just a hundred bucks or two in 5-10 years, I'd buy it!

& sometimes it's hard to forget to mention other GREAT free programs to use in conjunction with Sony Vegas.

A great free sound program Ive used & got good with is Audacity, & is ideal if you want to do comlicated sound fx, music editing, etc that otherwise cant be handled in Vegas.

For still image, multiple layer/matte elements & effects creation & composting, the free alternative to Photoshop such as Gimp is perfect, & has served me well. I reaaly dont see myself needing to get Photoshop anytime soon, if ever.

DVD Shrink for ripping your DVDs.

So dont expect to be able to rely on just one magic program to do it all for you. (Unless you can afford such an expensive program). Expand your tool box with as much as you can so you can be as creative as you can.

ByteShare

Reaction score
Trophy Points

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You won't really see boon around here anymore...and at any rate you should be able to google the programs and quickly find out what works on which OS.

ByteShare

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
You won't really see boon around here anymore...and at any rate you should be able to google the programs and quickly find out what works on which OS.
I don't use Google, DuckDuckGo, that is besides the point. I know I can search for each program but I didn't know Boon wasn't around anymore because I thought it would be nice if he already had the knowledge to help spread it. It is also hard to tell if a program that is supposed to work for multiple OSs will actually work the same across them unless you've tested them or really want to read a lot of reviews, which is why I was hoping someone that had that information already could provide it.
As for Ubuntu (Linux) I was hoping someone that has done FanEdits might know what works well. I've done video editing projects using Ubuntu software but the software I used wouldn't be a great fit for FanEdits and the suggestions sometimes include software I've used. Just hoping someone might have some first hand information/knowledge they could share.

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ByteShare said:
I don't use Google

Usually people tend to be more helpful if you've put in a little searching effort yourself first.

And nobody uses DuckDuckGo. ;)

ByteShare

Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
Usually people tend to be more helpful if you've put in a little searching effort yourself first.

And nobody uses DuckDuckGo. ;)

I agree, you should always search out your question if you can, but there is always a balance between getting help and spending needless time doing it yourself. And what I was asking would help others to if they came to this thread and it was at the start. I don't know how stickies are decided but starting this thread over a bit with a sticky could help if it had a little more information in it.

And, I don't like to tracked so easily, nor have my search results "filtered" to help me, nor have my information sold, which is why I use DuckDuckGo.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ByteShare, Love the FE enthusiasm. Love that you have lots of ideas, but I would highly recommend that you just try to have fun on the site for a while, get to know people, and learn as you go instead of recommending stickies and site rule changes as a new member. Too many stickies defeat the purpose of stickies. The rules are the rules for a reason. Usenet is being promoted for a reason.

Regarding technical support, give this a read. http://www.fanedit.org/forums/announcement.php?f=202&a=6

ByteShare

Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
ByteShare, Love the FE enthusiasm. Love that you have lots of ideas, but I would highly recommend that you just try to have fun on the site for a while, get to know people, and learn as you go instead of recommending stickies and site rule changes as a new member. Too many stickies defeat the purpose of stickies. The rules are the rules for a reason. Usenet is being promoted for a reason.

Regarding technical support, give this a read. http://www.fanedit.org/forums/announcement.php?f=202&a=6
Thanks for the tips. to clarify, I haven't tried to recommend site rule changes but it was taken that way. I hope I stop bugging people in the future because I'm not intending to, just trying to share my thoughts and ideas.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ByteShare said:
Thanks for the tips. to clarify, I haven't tried to recommend site rule changes but it was taken that way. I hope I stop bugging people in the future because I'm not intending to.

Its all good. We're a friendly community.

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have editing ideas (small ones for now...and one big one for the future) and would like to get them out of my head and on to a screen someday. For example, one of my ideas would only require a couple of clips from different DVDs that are only a few seconds long, stitched together.

What is a simple, decent (possibly free?) program I could use to cut out short clips and put them together?

Ripplin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks! I was thinking about VirtualDub, but when I saw "VirtualDub is mainly geared toward processing AVI files," I figured maybe I couldn't load/edit DVDs with it, but it seems pretty flexible from the extra info I'm seeing.

I hadn't checked videohelp yet. I've gone there more than once to find out how to make my DVD players region free. ;)

Edit: Ok, I tried VirtualDub and .vob or DVD or whatever isn't even listed as an openable source, so...? I wish DVDKnife had actually worked...

Gatos

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ripplin said:
Thanks! I was thinking about VirtualDub, but when I saw "VirtualDub is mainly geared toward processing AVI files," I figured maybe I couldn't load/edit DVDs with it, but it seems pretty flexible from the extra info I'm seeing.

I hadn't checked videohelp yet. I've gone there more than once to find out how to make my DVD players region free. ;)

Edit: Ok, I tried VirtualDub and .vob or DVD or whatever isn't even listed as an openable source, so...? I wish DVDKnife had actually worked...

If you take a glance at Captain K's guide there are step by step instructions for taking an MPEG2 source and indexing it with DGIndex, you can then use some avisynth scripts to edit up your clips and encode with HC encoder. Captain K's guide gives you a lot of that info. As far as avisynth scripting for editing, you just have to google and check out doom9 and videohelp forums. You can preview your avisynth scripts with VirtualDub to make sure everything is the way you want it.

B

BioHuntix

I did a quick search but found nothing, so might as well mention it here.

What about VSDC Free Video Editor? Is this one any good to use? I'm thinking about learning to use it, but it is more complicated then any editor I have used before. They call it a non-linear video editor.

You can look it up here: http://www.videosoftdev.com/free-video-editor

Top Bottom