• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Godfather Trilogy: Extended Editions in HD by hal_over_9000

ArtofLife

Reaction score
Trophy Points
2.) The scene where Michael talks to his son in the bed is available in longer version. In Saga the scene was positioned before the assassination attempt at Michael and it included his son saying that he draw a picture and Michael replying that he will look at the picture before he goes to sleep. This dialogue was cut in Theatrical version because Michael had already seen the picture. Was this a deliberate choice since you did not wish to rearrange the scene order?
I guess that counts as one. Anything else?

o_ciz

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The scene with Kay praying in the church, that was used for end credits in The Saga, is also not included.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are there any deleted scenes that are still missing from these edits?

For example: Like deleted shots from the Laserdiscs?
This will tell you all you need about the Laser Disc version.

Many of the extensions I was able to incorporate in my edits which are chronological, like the Senate testimony, by repurposing material laid over the audio extracted.
The garden scene in my version does not contain the watermark and includes the long shot of the house. My edit also includes the original pre-shooting bedtime scene and the original dialogue. This was moved in the Theatrical version and cut due to its incorrect positioning. The full dialogue reveals it occurs before the shooting. The dialogue is spoken to camera as proof, whereas the re-positioned scene has a looped line to cover it up. My version also uses deleted Italian dialogue spoken by De Niro, and has been put back.

If anyone wants to lift material from my edits and upgrade the shots in the Extended versions, then please feel free from my end but check with Hal_over_9000 as well please.

Last edited:

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The scene with Kay praying in the church, that was used for end credits in The Saga, is also not included.
Again, i was able to upscale the Kay praying scene and used it in a new closing credits "in memoriam" montage as an intro.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I also repaired the Vegas intro which was a stock footage car crash.

I created a blended version of the Meeting of Tom and Woltz in order to use both version of the material.

I'm not aware of any material in HD, or that is good enough to upscale beyond what I used. The extended versions are missing about 5 minutes of material I was able to fit in and use.

Frankly, I think the extended versions are as good as we will get. There are MANY scenes and sequences missing which have been lost now since the original neg is too far gone. For the Copolla restoration some shots used alternate takes or were taken from archive interpositive. 70s color film stock has not kept well.

Read this and weep at the stuff that now exists only on a rough cut VHS with a time code across the middle.....
gf%2Bsc.jpg

TRAGIC beyond words...
Below, de Niro as he build the empire...(and starting to look like Brando)

GF+II.jpg

Michel shooting out the pizzeria as he climbs up the ladder...

Michaell.jpg

Id love to see that tape...

Last edited:

o_ciz

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I did a comparison of extended versions of Godfather Part 1 and noticed, that Hal's version is missing a brief shot of Marlon Brando in bed, after he is told that it was Michael who shot Sollozzo and everybody leaves the room. But it features a longer version of the scene with Clemenza and Michael in the kitchen. Wraith's version of the scene starts a little bit later.

I recently obtained a recording of the four-part Godfather Saga that was aired on Czech television in 1994. I compared it to the extended versions and it features a lot of scenes that are a bit longer, some alternate takes and even some shots that are not in the extended versions. But it is always just a matter of a few seconds, nothing important.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Being 1994 we are in SD territory. I have both The Epic and The Trilogy 1901-1980 VHS extended versions, and much of what you refer to is in those to varying degrees. The only additional scenes in SD that are not in those is the Japanese Laser Disc release with a couple of scenes. We can only hope that maybe one day the scenes in my previous post come to light due to some amazing discovery, but from what I can determine, these are lost to all. The best we can hope for is the VHS that contains them coming to light as has the 5 hr Workprint for Apocalypse now....(it is out there if you look for it).

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I did use that scene in my end credits as the set-up for the "in memoriam" montage

Smoker1

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Too many Pages to read, but is there a Option for Forced Subtitles only?

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
REQUEST

Does anyone have a conversion of the The Godfather Epic LaserDisc or the infamous 5 Disc Fanfiltration DVD Conversion from the Laserdisc? I'm looking for some missing dialogue I can use in my tweaks which occurs as Sonny walks away after smashing the reporters camera BEFORE it cuts to the next scene (you hear the next scenes initial dialogue).

THANKS
EDIT
MISPOSTED

Last edited:

Smoker1

Reaction score
Trophy Points
REQUEST

Does anyone have a conversion of the The Godfather Epic LaserDisc or the infamous 5 Disc Fanfiltration DVD Conversion from the Laserdisc? I'm looking for some missing dialogue I can use in my tweaks which occurs as Sonny walks away after smashing the reporters camera BEFORE it cuts to the next scene (you hear the next scenes initial dialogue).

THANKS
I am trying to find a way to get Wyatt Earp - The Expanded Edition done, but I only have the VHS. Need to figure a way to get it done without Issues. Going from VHS to my PC, or VHS to DVD is a pain, because the VHS Heads are not good right now. I know there is a Service to Transfer Home Video to USB or DVD, but they do not do any Enhancements. So it would be As-Is. I figure it would be the exact same for the Laserdisc Version you are mentioning, but not sure if there is a way for a Transfer Service to do anything. Wish the Production Companies or Owners of certain Movies/Videos would update the rare Videos to DVD or Blu-Ray already.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am trying to find a way to get Wyatt Earp - The Expanded Edition done, but I only have the VHS. Need to figure a way to get it done without Issues. Going from VHS to my PC, or VHS to DVD is a pain, because the VHS Heads are not good right now. I know there is a Service to Transfer Home Video to USB or DVD, but they do not do any Enhancements. So it would be As-Is. I figure it would be the exact same for the Laserdisc Version you are mentioning, but not sure if there is a way for a Transfer Service to do anything. Wish the Production Companies or Owners of certain Movies/Videos would update the rare Videos to DVD or Blu-Ray already.
I can and have done excellent transfers. The issue here is I don't own a laserdisc player but the transfer WAS available at some point..

tylrsmmrs

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Many of the extensions I was able to incorporate in my edits which are chronological, like the Senate testimony, by repurposing material laid over the audio extracted.
The garden scene in my version does not contain the watermark and includes the long shot of the house. My edit also includes the original pre-shooting bedtime scene and the original dialogue. This was moved in the Theatrical version and cut due to its incorrect positioning. The full dialogue reveals it occurs before the shooting. The dialogue is spoken to camera as proof, whereas the re-positioned scene has a looped line to cover it up. My version also uses deleted Italian dialogue spoken by De Niro, and has been put back.

If anyone wants to lift material from my edits and upgrade the shots in the Extended versions, then please feel free from my end but check with Hal_over_9000 as well please.
Did anyone ever upgrade the Hal's Extended edits to incorporate your brilliant work, Wraith?

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hmmmm...had not really thought of doing that...since it is someone elses work...but so is The Godfather.

Maybe at a later date if he does not reemerge...possibly billed as a "Hal_over_9000 edit updated by Wraith"?

Last edited:

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This won't be for a while since there are other projects I am working on....but it's not a difficult task, since I would just drop in the changes, including the newly rendered stable opening credits, re made for the two extended theatricals, since I saved all the assets for each title card...so it's a mix and match job.

In fact, in regards to sudmission of an "udated Extended Theatricals based on Hal_over_9000", I certainly do not feel it should be under a Wraith listing...it would divert reviews away from his orginal work...and modifying his existing listing without his ok would also seem bad to me. In fact, if he was around, I'd be happy for him to take the assets and upgrade and just add a thanks...

Any views on that?

tylrsmmrs

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This won't be for a while since there are other projects I am working on....but it's not a difficult task, since I would just drop in the changes, including the newly rendered stable opening credits, re made for the two extended theatricals, since I saved all the assets for each title card...so it's a mix and match job.

In fact, in regards to sudmission of an "udated Extended Theatricals based on Hal_over_9000", I certainly do not feel it should be under a Wraith listing...it would divert reviews away from his orginal work...and modifying his existing listing without his ok would also seem bad to me. In fact, if he was around, I'd be happy for him to take the assets and upgrade and just add a thanks...

Any views on that?
Hal hasn't been active on this site for many years. I'd say go ahead!

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The question still stands, does one ask for his listing to reflect the update or a new submission as "Extended Theatricals based on Hal_over_9000 updated by Wraith"?

tylrsmmrs

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The question still stands, does one ask for his listing to reflect the update or a new submission as "Extended Theatricals based on Hal_over_9000 updated by Wraith"?
I vote for a new submission as "Extended Theatricals based on Hal_over_9000 updated by Wraith"

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I vote for a new submission as "Extended Theatricals based on Hal_over_9000 updated by Wraith"
I'm going to put this question to The Academy, since I am also looking to re-make a number of edits where the editors have long gone, but the works exist in SD only....RED DRAGON, The Manhaunter Cut and Superman: The Deja-Vu Edit to name a few, and it would be good to have a position on this from a submissions point of view...

I would do these just for me, but it seems a shame to not share an HD version of a an SD edit frankly

Last edited:
Top Bottom