• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Favorite Edit of the Year (FEOTY) 2020 Awards are here.

The Godfather Trilogy: Extended Editions in HD by hal_over_9000

ArtofLife

Reaction score
Trophy Points
2.) The scene where Michael talks to his son in the bed is available in longer version. In Saga the scene was positioned before the assassination attempt at Michael and it included his son saying that he draw a picture and Michael replying that he will look at the picture before he goes to sleep. This dialogue was cut in Theatrical version because Michael had already seen the picture. Was this a deliberate choice since you did not wish to rearrange the scene order?
I guess that counts as one. Anything else?

o_ciz

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The scene with Kay praying in the church, that was used for end credits in The Saga, is also not included.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Are there any deleted scenes that are still missing from these edits?

For example: Like deleted shots from the Laserdiscs?
This will tell you all you need about the Laser Disc version.

Many of the extensions I was able to incorporate in my edits which are chronological, like the Senate testimony, by repurposing material laid over the audio extracted.
The garden scene in my version does not contain the watermark and includes the long shot of the house. My edit also includes the original pre-shooting bedtime scene and the original dialogue. This was moved in the Theatrical version and cut due to its incorrect positioning. The full dialogue reveals it occurs before the shooting. The dialogue is spoken to camera as proof, whereas the re-positioned scene has a looped line to cover it up. My version also uses deleted Italian dialogue spoken by De Niro, and has been put back.

If anyone wants to lift material from my edits and upgrade the shots in the Extended versions, then please feel free from my end but check with Hal_over_9000 as well please.

Last edited:

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The scene with Kay praying in the church, that was used for end credits in The Saga, is also not included.
Again, i was able to upscale the Kay praying scene and used it in a new closing credits "in memoriam" montage as an intro.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I also repaired the Vegas intro which was a stock footage car crash.

I created a blended version of the Meeting of Tom and Woltz in order to use both version of the material.

I'm not aware of any material in HD, or that is good enough to upscale beyond what I used. The extended versions are missing about 5 minutes of material I was able to fit in and use.

Frankly, I think the extended versions are as good as we will get. There are MANY scenes and sequences missing which have been lost now since the original neg is too far gone. For the Copolla restoration some shots used alternate takes or were taken from archive interpositive. 70s color film stock has not kept well.

Read this and weep at the stuff that now exists only on a rough cut VHS with a time code across the middle.....
gf%2Bsc.jpg

TRAGIC beyond words...
Below, de Niro as he build the empire...(and starting to look like Brando)

GF+II.jpg

Michel shooting out the pizzeria as he climbs up the ladder...

Michaell.jpg

Id love to see that tape...

Last edited:

o_ciz

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I did a comparison of extended versions of Godfather Part 1 and noticed, that Hal's version is missing a brief shot of Marlon Brando in bed, after he is told that it was Michael who shot Sollozzo and everybody leaves the room. But it features a longer version of the scene with Clemenza and Michael in the kitchen. Wraith's version of the scene starts a little bit later.

I recently obtained a recording of the four-part Godfather Saga that was aired on Czech television in 1994. I compared it to the extended versions and it features a lot of scenes that are a bit longer, some alternate takes and even some shots that are not in the extended versions. But it is always just a matter of a few seconds, nothing important.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Being 1994 we are in SD territory. I have both The Epic and The Trilogy 1901-1980 VHS extended versions, and much of what you refer to is in those to varying degrees. The only additional scenes in SD that are not in those is the Japanese Laser Disc release with a couple of scenes. We can only hope that maybe one day the scenes in my previous post come to light due to some amazing discovery, but from what I can determine, these are lost to all. The best we can hope for is the VHS that contains them coming to light as has the 5 hr Workprint for Apocalypse now....(it is out there if you look for it).

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I did use that scene in my end credits as the set-up for the "in memoriam" montage

Top Bottom