• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Godfather Trilogy: Extended Editions in HD by hal_over_9000

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm going to put this question to The Academy, since I am also looking to re-make a number of edits where the editors have long gone, but the works exist in SD only....RED DRAGON, The Manhaunter Cut and Superman: The Deja-Vu Edit to name a few, and it would be good to have a position on this from a submissions point of view...

I would do these just for me, but it seems a shame to not share an HD version of a an SD edit frankly
pretty sure it is allowed, e.g.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ahh...dual editor listings....

My concience is clear; THANKS.....once I get the current project slate cleared...I will embark on remaking a few edits I would love to have in HD, Starting with The Godfather 1 & 2 Extended versions.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The additional changes posted on
will also be incorporated into the revised Extended Versions.

EDIT
I will NOT start a thread in a few days and list ALL the changes and additions being made ON THIS THREAD…in case anyone feels they are not cannon. The baseline for inclusion is that it MUST be HD and it must be present in officially sanctioned material, including Telecasts.

Last edited:

tylrsmmrs

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi Wraith. As you embark on your efforts to revise the Extended versions of P1 and P2, I just wanted to provide some feedback. I've been watching Hal's Extended P2. At the 11:50 mark, when the film transitions from Ellis Island to the Nevada compound, I think the insertion of Michael wandering around the compound detracts from the film, rather than enhance. I understand the goal of an "extended" edit, but perhaps there is a better spot for that specific insertion. I'll provide more feedback as I review. Thanks again for all your hard work.

tylrsmmrs

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wraith, some further thoughts on Hal's Extended Part 2:

At the 00:12:45 mark, the transition from Anthony's communion to Michael wandering around the Nevada compound is jarring. I don't think the insertion of Michael wandering is advisable at this point in the film.

At the communion party, the scene with Pentangeli sitting and drinking wine with Anthony, I think this should appear before the dinner table scene in which Kay asks Pentangeli about his conversation with Anthony.

The footage of Al Neri visiting Klingman seems out of place, but the footage itself is beautiful. I wonder if we could find a more appropriate placement.

The footage of Fabrizio leaving his pizzeria -- I wonder if we could find a more appropriate placement.

sethman75

Reaction score
Trophy Points
This was amazing, many of the deleted scenes i had not seen before and they were blended in seamlessly. Well done

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Wraith, some further thoughts on Hal's Extended Part 2:

At the 00:12:45 mark, the transition from Anthony's communion to Michael wandering around the Nevada compound is jarring. I don't think the insertion of Michael wandering is advisable at this point in the film.

At the communion party, the scene with Pentangeli sitting and drinking wine with Anthony, I think this should appear before the dinner table scene in which Kay asks Pentangeli about his conversation with Anthony.

The footage of Al Neri visiting Klingman seems out of place, but the footage itself is beautiful. I wonder if we could find a more appropriate placement.

The footage of Fabrizio leaving his pizzeria -- I wonder if we could find a more appropriate placement.
Some of these tweaks you mention I addressed in the Magnum Opus...As I have already saidon the MO thread, I will be tacking an update of tehse at some point, though I would love to get the editor's blessing if they is around...unless they want to tackle it themselves...in which case...I shall also await...

Darth Kermit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’d love to see an update by you Wraith, your work is always such high quality.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
NEWS from moi...

I have completed the updating of this edit using the Magnum Opus as the base. All changes and additions and refinements made to Don Vito's Opus are in The Godfather Extended.

I am currently working on Part II.

Part II will take longer AND there is a question I need to ask all of you.

If I retain the CORRECT version and positioning of MIchael Putting Anthony to bed BEFOR the shooting, the cross fade to Young Vito will occur BEFORE the shooting. I dislike the looped dialogue of that scene, but that would be the price of retaining the correct dialogue and location....

Clearly, the scene was moved to after the shooting to heighten our feelings ahead of the juxtaposed cross fade to young Vito looking over baby Fredo…. Relocating it would also mean coming back to Michael immediately before the on shooting… that may play quite poorly and upset the balance of these scenes…I’m tending to gravitate to not moving the original placement…

Let me know your views on this....I will go with the majority view.

I will post again when they are available following a formal submission.

Last edited:

tylrsmmrs

Reaction score
Trophy Points
NEWS from moi...

I have completed the updating of this edit using the Magnum Opus as the base. All changes and additions and refinements made to Don Vito's Opus are in The Godfather Extended.

I am currently working on Part II.

Part II will take longer AND there is a question I need to ask all of you.

If I retain the CORRECT version and positioning of MIchael Putting Anthony to bed BEFOR the shooting, the cross fade to Young Vito will occur BEFORE the shooting. I dislike the looped dialogue of that scene, but that would be the price of retaining the correct dialogue and location....

Clearly, the scene was moved to after the shooting to heighten our feelings ahead of the juxtaposed cross fade to young Vito looking over baby Michael…. Relocating it would also mean coming back to Michael immediately before the shooting… that may play quite poorly and upset the balance of these scenes…I’m tending to gravitate to not moving the original placement…

Let me know your views on this....I will go with the majority view.

I will post again when they are available following a formal submission.
My vote is to place the Anthony bed scene where it was placed in the P2 Theatrical, no matter how sloppy the looped audio may be.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Since these extended versions are an update to Hal’s edits to some extent, certain changes made for the Chronological Magnum Opus will not be included. I will list them all at the end. One such change, to Part 2, is the captionless opening. Part 2 Ext will retain the opening caption.

Last edited:

Darth Kermit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can’t wait for these! I’ll gladly download the uber size as soon as they are available. Thank you for doing all this work Wraith, truly legendary.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I, too, am eagerly awaiting the traditional, non-chronological version of this project.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
UPDATE - ANOTHER FIX

As many of you already know, I reinstated the original dialogue and position of Anthony’s bedtime (see earlier in the thread newbies).

Now, while rebuilding this section, I’m reverting to the theatrical version and structure…but keeping Fabrizio's death relocated.

There has also been the nagging issue of where the deleted Michael Pier and dog scene (which Michael’s Opus opened with rather than where Hal located it) as to where if anywhere to place the scene. ENTER another eagle eyed fan ....

@tony.montana79 has the solution since he checked the book (ya'll know there is a book... :) )

The scene occurs after Fabizio's death which will remain relocated and would follow with a hard cut to Kay and Michael dancing (in the Opus there was a crossfade thru black). Now, with the reinstatement of the theatrical order I can do a long cross fade to Michael on the pier dock from the smouldering wreckage…and then to the dancing…it’s perfect, Michael is wearing the same clothes and to boot now matches the book and original screenplay! All i had to do was rebuild all the audio...(dog barking etc).

For Michael's Opus, the scene will remain where I placed it to prevent an abrupt opening on the communion (as intended).

However...
Here is the pier scene now integrated into G2X fix which works on many levels.
  • Michael has security with him following the attack
  • The words preceding it are "where's Mike"
  • He is wearing the same suit
  • It's been a long night and Dusk is circa 3:30 am is 4am ish so not unusual
  • He is being contemplative, which adds to the scene which follows (now in its theatrical sequencing and theatrical version for extended)
  • It add even more poignacy to the crossfade to Young Vito which follows.
I tried very hard to make the idea work, but it felt forced and misplaced when viewed in wider contect. It was also not possible to achieve the look I wanted...which is a shame...Acknowledging the book and screenplay place it after Fabrixio's death, but this works better IMHO. The more I watch it, the more natural it feels.

Decision made!

Enjoy...its coming soon....
W

Last edited:

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You can find a BIG UPDATE on the changes to The Godfather Extended on the below thread.

A similar update for Part II will be posted soon.
W

(The end is nearing folks)...

Last edited:

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You can find a BIG UPDATE on the changes to The Godfather Part II Extended on the below thread.

Final updates will appear in this thread.

These NEW edits will be submitted this week all being well!
W

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
UPDATE

GF- EXTENDED revisions -
COMPLETED

If you have had information previously on Don Vito's Opus 6.XX or MIchael's Opus 8.XX then you will be able to still use this to acquire the Theatrically Structure Exteneded Edits updating Hal_over-9000's originals in line with the Magnum Opus edits.

The designations for these are G1X v1.0 and G2X v2.0

For simplicity, if you do not have the information required, then please MESSAGE me, and if you are a NEW MEMBER please confirm if you own the source per the site rules. It will save all concerned a lot of back and forth.

Best and Enjoy

W

Last edited:
Top Bottom