• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Godfather Gets Theatrical Rerelease, 4K Trilogy Box Set

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
With this having a rerelease in 4K i thought this would be a perfect opportunity to see it for the first time. Comparing it with the original blu-ray copy it does look a whole lot better, so I will most definitely get it as I am actually planning on doing an edit of the first two films.
I've actually went to see both the 1st and the 2nd at the cinema in the past two weeks and am going to see the third one in just a few hours.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
With this having a rerelease in 4K i thought this would be a perfect opportunity to see it for the first time. Comparing it with the original blu-ray copy it does look a whole lot better, so I will most definitely get it as I am actually planning on doing an edit of the first two films.
I've actually went to see both the 1st and the 2nd at the cinema in the past two weeks and am going to see the third one in just a few hours.
What's you edit angle?

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw the new 4K version of GF2 at the cinema. One of my fav bits of trivia about GF2 was Roth's black and white top going missing before the scene was completed (IIRC). So they had to buy a similar white top and painstakingly draw the black pattern on with a black marker pen. They did such a good job that this 4K version is the first time I could tell which shots it was used in. It's in a few shots in the 2nd half of Roth while Michael is talking about the rebels. Neat!

tylrsmmrs

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I saw the new 4K version of GF2 at the cinema. One of my fav bits of trivia about GF2 was Roth's black and white top going missing before the scene was completed (IIRC). So they had to buy a similar white top and painstakingly draw the black pattern on with a black marker pen. They did such a good job that this 4K version is the first time I could tell which shots it was used in. It's in a few shots in the 2nd half of Roth while Michael is talking about the rebels. Neat!
What's you edit angle?
GF2 and GF3 in theaters? Not in the United States, I don't think...

It'sOnRandom

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What's you edit angle?
Personally, I am not the biggest fan of the Don Coreleone story in Part II, so my biggest change would be removing that fully. However with part I I really did not enjoy the Italy part to it so I would try and remove most of that story.
As I have only seen both of the films twice I am not fully sure whether I will go through with this yet.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Personally, I am not the biggest fan of the Don Coreleone story in Part II, so my biggest change would be removing that fully. However with part I I really did not enjoy the Italy part to it so I would try and remove most of that story.
As I have only seen both of the films twice I am not fully sure whether I will go through with this yet.
That could work quite well as a stright up story without so called distractions.

THE GODFATHER: NO DETOURS EDITION

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
THE GODFATHER: EDIZIONE NESSUNA TRACCE LATERALI

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just watched a segment in CBS Sunday Morning on The Godfather. The comparison shots they showed looked like the new 4K transfer loses a lot of the warmth I’m used to with these movies, particularly the first. Is that accurate?

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There is no question, having viewed my set, that this is a stellar transfer with superb detail and fidelity BUT I don’t like it for the very reason you state.

I already said as much in the Chronogical thread, and for me, they got it wrong and are selling us a false bill of goods.

When the movies were made Gordon Willis went to extraordinary lengths to get that so called warmth. He was still alive when they did the previous Coppola Restoration and for me THAT is the definitive version.

When they did Coda, they dialled out that golden hue…. And it seems like they are trying to convince us that this is how it was originally.

IT WAS NOT!

I saw The Godfather in theatres for its 10th anniversary with Part II… at least half a dozen size times. It was golden and like a Victorian vignette. Saw it again on the big screen for its 20th and 25ths and every time it played near me for decades. Those prints for the 10th anniversary would have been struck and approved when the movies were made.

If this is how Coppola wants them to look NOW, so be it…it’s his vision… and it does now conform to Coda BUT, please don’t insult our intelligence and recall by trying to say this is how it actually looked… it didn’t; PERIOD!

For me, it has lost atmosphere and now looks like a modern film set in the period. Before it looked like it was filmed in the period. Now it’s an ultra HD facsimile of what was, and that is a shame. I tried adjusting my TV to give it a warmer tone, but that just screws it up further… IMHO.

R.I.P. artistic and historic integrity.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the previous Coppola Restoration and for me THAT is the definitive version.

I remember a lot of complaints about that transfer at the time for looking far too "golden" compared to previous releases. Here is a comparison of that and an older DVD:

Each transfer has looked a bit different but not massively. The new 4K one looks like a happy medium between the "Coppola Restoration" and earlier releases. It still looked like a 70s movie to me, I didn't see any obnoxious revisionism (unlike say James Cameron, Blade Runner, Star Wars, or Michael Mann). I'll happily stick with my "Coppola Restoration" blu-ray boxset.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When SAGA was televised, and my THE EPIC VHS tapes, they do have blue skies, and I showed a comparison in the Magnum Ops thread much like the above.

As you say, it is a happy medium, but it is not how the film looked on the big screen way back when...
I'll stick to my Coppola Restroation, which though a tad overdone on the hue, I just notch down the saturation on the TV, and it looks SPOT ON...

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I remember a lot of complaints about that transfer at the time for looking far too "golden" compared to previous releases. Here is a comparison of that and an older DVD:

Each transfer has looked a bit different but not massively. The new 4K one looks like a happy medium between the "Coppola Restoration" and earlier releases. It still looked like a 70s movie to me, I didn't see any obnoxious revisionism (unlike say James Cameron, Blade Runner, Star Wars, or Michael Mann). I'll happily stick with my "Coppola Restoration" blu-ray boxset.
Very helpful…

Top Bottom