• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Godfather Gets Theatrical Rerelease, 4K Trilogy Box Set

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

Along with the new restorations, the rerelease contains a ton of new bonus content, as well as some legacy content that makes its way back to the release.
  • Paramount Pictures archivists detail the incredible restoration process with archival footage showing the evolution of the film through various home entertainment incarnations as picture and audio technologies make quantum leaps over the decades.

• Over 300 cartons of film were scrutinized to find the best possible resolution for every frame of all three films.
  • Over 4,000 hours were spent repairing film stains, tears, and other anomalies in the negatives.
  • Over 1,000 hours were spent on rigorous color correction to ensure the high dynamic range tools were respectful of the original vision of Coppola and cinematographer Gordon Willis.
  • In addition to the 5.1 audio approved by Walter Murch in 2007, the original mono tracks on he Godfather and The Godfather: Part II have been restored.
@Wraith what do you think?

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m sure it will look great…I’m sure there is nothing new either. Note the abscence of the words “original negative”.

It was already in bad shape when they did the first blu ray before the Coppola restoration…so much so that when Michael shoots McClusky, they had to use alternate takes
EDIT
for two of the shots (not the shooting shots)
EDIT ENDS
since the film element original neg was too far gone. Ironically the dvd I believe was the last time the original neg was in good enough shape for the whole movie.

70s color film stock has in some cases faired worse than 50s . KUBRICK knew this and had colour separation protection elements made on fine grain b&w to protect all his movies. He also struck archival elements for color capture samples that don’t fade (can’t recall the name.

So I’m looking forward to it, and on an 80ft screen I think will be spectacular… but I find 4k generally too harsh for home viewing on anything pre 2000s…the filmic quality starts to look video like.

So in short excited, but I won’t be upgrading the Magnum Opus…

Anyone finds new material and let us have it in 1080p, then that’s a possible…. Having watched the trailer on my TV, the colours are FAR more natural and a lot if that green hue has been pulled out…

Looks great.
What I don’t know is, is that what it looked like in the 70s? Does it matter?
Just pleased it’s nit gone the way of The Alamo!

Last edited:

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
They've put a new trailer up in 4K. Even with youtube compression it's looking very nice:

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
BREAKING NEWS

Godfather Part III THEATRICAL CUT in HD for the first time...

So that may yield some new material.

Astonishingly Paramount have confirmed the 5 disc set will have 2 discs dedicated to Part III...one with CODA and the other with the Theatrical and Director's cuts vbia seamless branching PLUS additional scenes...

Disc One: The Godfather (4K UHD)

Disc Two: The Godfather: Part II (4K UHD)

Disc Three: Mario Puzo’s The Godfather, Coda: The Death of Michael Corleone (4K UHD)

Disc Four: The Godfather, Part III Theatrical Cut and The Godfather, Part III 1991 Cut (via seamless branching) (4K UHD)

• HDR: Dolby Vision & HDR10
  • Audio: 2007 Walter Murch-approved mix in 5.1 Dolby TrueHD and 5.1 Dolby Digital, plus newly-restored Mono (for films 1 and 2)
  • Legacy Extras: Screen-specific audio commentaries by Francis Ford Coppola (from the 2001 DVD release)
  • New Extras: Introduction to The Godfather by Francis Ford Coppola, Full Circle: Preserving The Godfather, Capturing the Corleones: Through the Lens of Photographer Steve Schapiro, The Godfather: Home Movies, Restoration Comparisons, Digital Copies of at least the films I, II, and Coda
Disc Five: Legacy Special Features (BD)

• Additional Legacy Blu-ray and DVD Extras: The Masterpiece That Almost Wasn’t, Godfather World, Emulsional Rescue: Revealing The Godfather, ...when the shooting stopped, The Godfather on the Red Carpet, 4 Short Films on The Godfather (The Godfather vs. The Godfather: Part II, Cannoli, Riffing on the Riffing, and Clemenza), The Family Tree, Crime Organization Chart, Connie and Carlo’s Wedding Album, 2008 Credits, 12 Behind-the-Scenes featurettes (A Look Inside, On Location, Francis Ford Coppola’s Notebook, Music of The Godfather: Nino Rota, Music of The Godfather: Carmine Coppola, Coppola & Puzo on Screenwriting, Gordon Willis on Cinematography, Storyboards – The Godfather: Part II, Storyboards – The Godfather: Part III, The Godfather Behind the Scenes 1971), Additional Scenes, Galleries, Trailers, Acclaim & Response, Additional Material, The Filmmakers

Full details, Below

Magnum Opus may yet grow a tad...and who know, maybe the "Additional Scenes"...may contain snips of HD versions of material that can be dropped in (if it is enhancing to the story)...Let's not forget, those chronological versions are OFFICIAL and were made by Coppola and not just a collection of reinstated deleted material....They had far more material than they used, so one must be respectful to the vision.

US set 5 disc, European will be 9 discs including the Blu Rays remastered.

Last edited:

Frikken12

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’ve been in contact with a film restoration group known as Golden Age Classics
(Search the name on YouTube on your finest display if you wanna take a look, their best work is their restoration of One Eyed Jacks.

Anyway, I’ve been looking around for restoration artists to restore the deleted scenes to 4K so they would match the footage taken from the main films, to pull you and others back in.

These guys say they can do that, they’re a small team that charges by the hour, but I’m seriously considering saving up to finance it, just a fun little thing. For double the price they do film scanning too, but I doubt the deleted scenes are on 35mm, since they bearly took care of the bits that were kept in the film. Just a fun little project.

Nice to be back here.

TheUltimate

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It was already in bad shape when they did the first blu ray before the Coppola restoration…so much so that when Michael shoots McClusky, they had to use alternate takes
EDIT
for two of the shots (not the shooting shots)
EDIT ENDS
since the film element original neg was too far gone. Ironically the dvd I believe was the last time the original neg was in good enough shape for the whole movie.
Could I have a source on this? I'm interested in what shots were different.

tylrsmmrs

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’ve been in contact with a film restoration group known as Golden Age Classics
(Search the name on YouTube on your finest display if you wanna take a look, their best work is their restoration of One Eyed Jacks.

Anyway, I’ve been looking around for restoration artists to restore the deleted scenes to 4K so they would match the footage taken from the main films, to pull you and others back in.

These guys say they can do that, they’re a small team that charges by the hour, but I’m seriously considering saving up to finance it, just a fun little thing. For double the price they do film scanning too, but I doubt the deleted scenes are on 35mm, since they bearly took care of the bits that were kept in the film. Just a fun little project.

Nice to be back here.
Hi. Any follow up on this?

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Could I have a source on this? I'm interested in what shots were different.
I'd have to go through some old documentaries but as I recall, it was a couple of McKlusky's reaction shots that were too far gone to restore, so alternate takes were used... There are many examples of alternate takes having been used...such as when young Vito walks away from camera in ten 1920s. Saga, & Epic use a diffeing take than GF Part 2. It is that longer take which I used.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi. Any follow up on this?
AI upscaling still requires a reasonable source...and if it is a locked off shot, even better. I won't go into the detail (but can if you like) but the VHS quality material, even the SD material, is just not up to scratch IMO...but we can take this offline and have a direct discussion and explore this.

tylrsmmrs

Reaction score
Trophy Points
AI upscaling still requires a reasonable source...and if it is a locked off shot, even better. I won't go into the detail (but can if you like) but the VHS quality material, even the SD material, is just not up to scratch IMO...but we can take this offline and have a direct discussion and explore this.
I agree that material that's ONLY accessible in SD isn't worth including. That said, the vast majority of footage is available in HD, I believe—AMC and HBO cuts, right?

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree that material that's ONLY accessible in SD isn't worth including. That said, the vast majority of footage is available in HD, I believe—AMC and HBO cuts, right?
That’s already in them…and more…
Apparently there are some new shits in the restoration

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Can anyone translate this?
The whole article? It basically starts by asking what anyone can say about the movie that hasn’t already been said, then proceeds to tell the history of the production that any fan of the film will already know. It then gets into the somewhat lesser known stories about the restoration efforts over the years. Then it gets into specifics about the restoration. In short, the reviewer has mixed feelings about the picture, feeling that, though the look may be the original intention, it feels less than satisfying. For the audio, the reviewer focuses on the German overdubs and is generally favorable, though does note some idiosyncrasies. It then talks more about the picture and (I think) he concedes that most will like this new version better. It then summarizes the bonus materials before concluding that this version is clearly technically better than previous releases, though the different look may be off putting to long time fans.

Hope that helps.

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That’s great thanks

I think that “original intention” is both loaded and possibly problematic.

Movies are generally graded for theatrical exhibition. When they transfer to TV they generally get a gamma and contrast pump.

I later years for home video, be it DVD, Blu ray or now 4k, many movies have been ruined… if it’s to much noise removal ir revised color grades, not all come out great. T2, pink Star Wars whites and Patton come to mind and for me, CE3K. The last 30 mins differed so much from what I saw in theatres, I was compelled to fix it.

I’ll be seeing this in the theatre soon, and then at the end of March, my discs will land. Then we will really know…!

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
That’s great thanks

I think that “original intention” is both loaded and possibly problematic.

Movies are generally graded for theatrical exhibition. When they transfer to TV they generally get a gamma and contrast pump.

I later years for home video, be it DVD, Blu ray or now 4k, many movies have been ruined… if it’s to much noise removal ir revised color grades, not all come out great. T2, pink Star Wars whites and Patton come to mind and for me, CE3K. The last 30 mins differed so much from what I saw in theatres, I was compelled to fix it.

I’ll be seeing this in the theatre soon, and then at the end of March, my discs will land. Then we will really know…!
Keep in mind I’m far from a fluent German speaker. My feeling is the reviewer felt the restoration was technically impeccable and in line with the intention of the film maker given it was done at AZ; but difficult to fully endorse due to it feeling so different from what we’ve all seen so many times. BUT, I could be totally wrong. Nuance is still pretty much totally lost on me in German. I know there’s been native speakers on this site. Hopefully one will chime in.

SIUse

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Keep in mind I’m far from a fluent German speaker. My feeling is the reviewer felt the restoration was technically impeccable and in line with the intention of the film maker given it was done at AZ; but difficult to fully endorse due to it feeling so different from what we’ve all seen so many times. BUT, I could be totally wrong. Nuance is still pretty much totally lost on me in German. I know there’s been native speakers on this site. Hopefully one will chime in.
Basically you assest the review in the right way, but not your first comment („…it feels less than satisfying.“). He thinks the picture quality is a big improvement (less muddier in comparison to the 2006/2007 restoration, more detail, graining closer to the original but in some areas a little bit to weak, contrast is more natural no exposure in the highlights), but is unsure whom will be a fan of a new color grade after being used to the warm red/yellow picture. They have gone back to the original cinemascope 1,85:1, added DV, HDR10.
The image slider comparison shots help to assess the differences between the BD from 2008 and now the UHD.

His verdict in numbers:
Picture quality:
BD (2008/2019): 60%
UHD: 80%

Sound quality:
BD/UHD 5.1 (german): 70%
BD/UHD 2.0 Mono (german): 55%
BD/UHD 5.1 (Originalversion): 75%
BD/UHD 2.0 Mono (Originalversion): 75%

Last edited:

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Basically you assest the review in the right way, but not your first comment („…it feels less than satisfying.“). He thinks the picture quality is a big improvement (less muddier in comparison to the 2006/2007 restoration, more detail, graining closer to the original but in some areas a little bit to weak, contrast is more natural no exposure in the highlights), but is unsure whom will be a fan of a new color grade after being used to the warm red/yellow picture. They have gone back to the original cinemascope 1,85:1, added DV, HDR10.
The image slider comparison shots help to assess the differences between the BD from 2008 and now the UHD.

His verdict in numbers:
Picture quality:

Sound quality:
If that's an absolute rather than improvement score, it's not great.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points

His verdict in numbers:
Picture quality:

Sound quality:
Vielen Dank!

Top Bottom